Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The Apocalypse

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sonsofkraftybob

Mmmmmm, feet! Nom, Nom, Nom.
Reaction score
Subprime fiasco is now affecting other areas of the economy on a world wide scale. Today is gonna be the day that everyone realizes it. How low do we go?

Anyone put their "sell" orders in? Anyone converting to T-Bills? Anyone taking the tax hit and pulling it out to cash?

T-minus 7 minutes till opening.....

I voted for the Apocalypse cause that means theres a chance of zombies

Today is the day? :huh:

That's one hell of a crystal ball you have there :crystal:

Its going to get a lot worse SOKB. As a mortgage broker about half the loans I've done the last few years were subprime.

One of the big things the talking heads just haven't gotten is that while they weren't that high a proportion of the total numbers of loans done the last few years, they were probably 35-45% of the total number of PURCHASE loans.

Of the about 30 calls I've gotten the last 4 months I'd say 25 of them were for people in foreclosure or would be very quickly because they took adjustable rate subprime loans, did nothing to clean up their credit which was now getting worse with late payments to the loans and have no way out. Especially since probably 80-90% of the suprime purchase loans were 0 down.

On most refinances you can't go over 90%of the value of the house, and most of those properties have either gained no value or actually lost a little bit, so with crappy credit and no equity they are trapped.

The adjustable rate loans can increase if the prime has increased, which it did about 5% during the 2-3 years period those loans have a fixed rate on. They are capped at 2% per year and 6% increase over the life of the loan, so they all immediately adjusted upwards 2% when they hit the first adjustment, meaning probably 300-500 a month higher mortgage payments to people already in trouble. A lot of them adjust every six months after the first bump so they've already gone up another 1% and will go up another 1% at the end of that year, meaning all those people will have had their rate go up 4% in the space of one year !!!

With no possibility of refinancing or getting a lower rate, they're toast. There is a massive wave of foreclosures coming, whcih will hammer a real estate market that already has the highest inventory available to purchase in the last 20-25 years. Everyone who is foreclosed on will have their credit ruined, they ain't gonna be buying anythiing on credit cards, their car loans will be much higher rates hurting them all the further as will their rates on any credit they can get like secured cards. Plus even if they have any equity when the banks sell foreclosed properties they only attempt to sell them for what they are owed plus foreclosure fees typically around 5-10k or more, so anybody who made a down payment loses that money too.

Over the next year as the real epidemic of foreclosures hits, the economy is going to take a huge hammering. This will roll through to so many different sectors of consumer purchasing and credit its going to cause many many problems. Plus those people are going to find it very difficult to rent. Any place that is decent they usually pull your credit and if its bad they won't rent to you, which means they'll have to largely rent from slumlords and bad situations.

Bradys Bunch on 08-09-2007 at 09:23 AM said:
I voted for the Apocalypse cause that means theres a chance of zombies
I did the same thing for the same reason. Scary.

bideau on 08-09-2007 at 09:26 AM said:
Today is the day? :huh:

That's one hell of a crystal ball you have there :crystal:

No crystal ball bro....the world is divied up into time zones, when we are sleeping another section of the world is working and viceaversa....all you have to do is keep an eye on the other half of the world during the night, like Nikkae or the European markets to figure out if this is gonna be a good day financially of a bad day.

Today is a bad, bad day my friend. Bad indeedy.

Great.
Not only will my portfolio take a hit but my taxes will go to bail out fools who took sub-prime loans.

Hillary gets elected and out taxes go through the roof to bail out the sub-prime mess, sweet.

I wonder if I can talk the wife into moving to Iceland?

I was really looking forward to watching football both tonight and tomorrow night. I was happy and excited today.

Now thanks to SOKB, I want to go home, close the garage, and tape a hose to my exhust pipe.

Thanks SOKB:hang:

backofthepack on 08-09-2007 at 10:06 AM said:
As of 10:05, the market is down 172.26 (or 1.25%) to 13,487.56.

Bush is giving a speech about the economy right now....anyone know what he is saying?

Presidential speeches about the economy can never be a good thing....:(

found this on foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — President Bush said Thursday he is not inclined to raise taxes to pay for bridge repairs across the United States following the collapse last week of the span over the Mississippi River at Minneapolis.

But the president pledged that his administration is doing whatever it can to determine that America's bridges are safe.

Speaking to reporters at the White House before taking off for a long weekend in Kennebunkport, Maine, Bush said he would wait on a report from Transportation Secretary Mary Peters before deciding on how to address the ailing bridges in the U.S.

But in keeping with his political philosophy, he suggested he's unlikely to back current efforts in Congress to raise the gas tax by 5 cents per gallon. Rep. Jim Oberstar, D-Minn., head of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, has suggested that the country could raise the estimated $9 billion per year over the next 20 years estimated to be needed to pay for upgrades on 70,000 bridges defined as "structurally deficient."

"As you probably know the public works committee is the largest committee, one of the largest committees in the House of Representatives. From my perspective the way it seems to work is that each member on that committee gets to set his or her own priority first. And then whatever's left over is spent to the funding formula. That's not the right way to prioritize the people's money," the president said.

Bush called Thursday's press conference in part to extol the successes of the U.S. economy.

"Our economy is growing in large part because America has the most ambitious, educated and innovative people in the world," Bush said in the White House's Brady Press Briefing Room before leaving for Kennebunkport, Maine.

The president said that to stay competitive in the global marketplace, America must continue to be leaders in creativity. To aid that effort, he said he will sign H.R. 2272, the America Competes Act of 2007, which is aimed at better positioning the country to compete in the global economy. The measure calls for spending $33.6 billion over the next three years for science, technology, engineering and mathematics research and education programs across four federal agencies.

"The bill I will sign today will ensure we remain the most competitive and innovative in the world," he said.

The president also was facing questions about a number of things, including the five-year running war in Iraq and political unrest in nuclear-armed Pakistan, an ally in the War on Terror.

The midmorning session was Bush's first full news conference since July 12 when he inaugurated the newly refurbished White House briefing room. Since then, he has had brief question-and-answer sessions with Britain's new prime minister, Gordon Brown, and Afghanistan's president, Hamid Karzai.

After leaving for the Bush family compound in Maine, the president's long weekend at his family retreat will be interrupted by a lunch Saturday with France's President Nicolas Sarkozy, who is vacationing in New Hampshire.

The president is to return to the White House on Sunday and then head out the next day for his Texas ranch. He will stay away from Washington while Congress is on its August recess, but has several trips scheduled, including a tête-a-tête with the leaders of Mexico and Canada on Aug. 20-21 in Ottawa.

I couldn't care less. Whatever happens today it will be *at most* nothing but a footnote in a few years. More likely it won't even be that.

As usual nothing but liquid fecal matter spewing from the A-hole's mouth. I loved the way he dodged and danced around the question about Tillman's death and finding the truth.

He should have just said "Accountability ? You want accountability from my adminstration ? HA H AH AHAHHA H HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :4321:

sonsofkraftybob on 08-09-2007 at 11:12 AM said:
Bush is giving a speech about the economy right now....anyone know what he is saying?

Presidential speeches about the economy can never be a good thing....:(

Didn't see it, SOKB, but here's a link.

AP Story

harrisonhits on 08-09-2007 at 11:27 AM said:
As usual nothing but liquid fecal matter spewing from the A-hole's mouth. I loved the way he dodged and danced around the question about Tillman's death and finding the truth.

He should have just said "Accountability ? You want accountability from my adminstration ? HA H AH AHAHHA H HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :4321:

Sounds like you need to start a thread about all thisON THE POLITICAL FORUM THAT"S WHERE POLITICAL RANTS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE MADE!!!

I have little sympathy for most of the people that took out bad loans. A lot of them were "flippers" trying to make a fast buck. These are the shmoes that drove up the cost of housing in the first place. Others are existing homeowners who refinanced and took equity out of their house to buy luxury items like boats and new cars. Then there are the ones who never should have been buying in the first place. The press likes to play up the "poor people" losing "their" homes, but if you took out an interest only, zero down, or neg am loan I think there's a strong argument that it was never your home to start with--what you were really doing was renting. How can it be "your" home when you're not accruing equity (or just gambling on rising prices to gaiin you equity)?

The Big Lebowski on 08-09-2007 at 12:11 PM said:
and he would be the first one to point that out to someone else.
:Lecture:

Meaning what?

Back