I are Serious SF87. This is Serious Football Thread

SteelerFan87

Pittsburgh Awesomes Fan
Reaction score
I'd like to know a little more about the Pats' defense. I've only seen 2 or 3 Pats games all year, including the one against the Colts, so I obviously haven't seen nearly as much of them as you guys have. I know there are some differences between your 3-4 and ours. But what I want to know is, how much blitzing do you guys do? Have you been getting good pressure on QBs? I ask this, of course, because our O-line sucks and we've gotten pwned by teams with a good pass rush.

Your team looked very good last night

I'd like to know a little more about the Pats' defense. I've only seen 2 or 3 Pats games all year, including the one against the Colts, so I obviously haven't seen nearly as much of them as you guys have. I know there are some differences between your 3-4 and ours. But what I want to know is, how much blitzing do you guys do? Have you been getting good pressure on QBs? I ask this, of course, because our O-line sucks and we've gotten pwned by teams with a good pass rush.

Why do you want to know these things? Are you gonna go and give our playbook to Tomlin? ROFL

Your team looked very good last night

Thanks. I could turn this into "SF87 has an orgasm thinking about how good the Steelers defense has been this year", so I probably shouldn't even start talking about it. :D
But I'm really happy with how our D has played. From getting great pressure on QBs, to coming up with turnovers at key moments, to shutting down running games, to stopping people time after time in some really bad field position situations, I think our D is probably playing about as well as I can ever remember a Steelers defense playing. I think the difference between this year and last year, other than the increased pressure on the QB, is the fact that this year the D is stepping up in big situations and making big plays, where last year they'd play well statistically, but fall apart at the worst possible time.
Last night when we sacked Campbell for the 6th or 7th time, I thought "now I know how Eagles fans felt when they played us." lol

But anyway, uh.... back to the Pats D. :D

From what I've been able to look at (I tend to avert my eyes while following the Patriots this year) the Patriots have had a good run defense, a terrible secondary, and virtually no pass rush whatsoever.

The Pats have a good pass rush when they choose to go after the QB, but in a lot of the games, that wasn't the plan. Our secondary could stand to improve (to be kind about it).

the Classic BB 3-4 D is built on the model of the front 3 down linemen applying an engage&hold position with emphasis on allowing the 4 linebackers to thereby hold the run-lane edges and plug gaps to protect against gains by ground

the down linemen are, however, allowed to apply a medium amount of pressure on an opposition QB when they read&react to passing plays so that poor throwing decisions will be made in the face of combo zone/area man-to-man coverages in the secondary with linebackers able to rush the pocket (on occasion) or drop into coverage clogging aerial lanes

applying a ton of pressure on certain QBs has proven inefficient to BB as sacks or throwaways are not as productive as pick-6's are in a scenario where Ben Roethlisberger is the defensive front pressure target when the more time he has the more his titanium-encased skullcap w/ puny, pea-sized brain has difficulty in decision making let alone good decision making which is why it was poor strategy last nite for Washington to knock him out as it proved to be their undoing when a much smarter guy got to come in and win the game at a way, way lower-per cost-ratio-salary-to-win basis

see?, so........

the Classic BB 3-4 D is built on the model of the front 3 down linemen applying an engage&hold position with emphasis on allowing the 4 linebackers to thereby hold the run-lane edges and plug gaps to protect against gains by ground

the down linemen are, however, allowed to apply a medium amount of pressure on an opposition QB when they read&react to passing plays so that poor throwing decisions will be made in the face of combo zone/area man-to-man coverages in the secondary with linebackers able to rush the pocket (on occasion) or drop into coverage clogging aerial lanes

applying a ton of pressure on certain QBs has proven inefficient to BB as sacks or throwaways are not as productive as pick-6's are in a scenario where Ben Roethlisberger is the defensive front pressure target when the more time he has the more his titanium-encased skullcap w/ puny, pea-sized brain has difficulty in decision making let alone good decision making which is why it was poor strategy last nite for Washington to knock him out as it proved to be their undoing when a much smarter guy got to come in and win the game at a way, way lower-per cost-ratio-salary-to-win basis

see?, so........

So, what you're saying is, the Pats are going to focus on stopping our running game, and not get any pressure on Ben, giving him all the time he needs to wait for his WRs to torch the Pats Secondary, and thus allowing him to sit back and slice and dice the Patriots D at his leisure via an arial assault, including deep "splash plays" to Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington, and also some mid-range tosses to Hines Ward when he isn't busy knocking LBs into next week?

:thumb:

I'd call the pass rush curiously MIA.

It has been there at times, such as vs. St. Louis when Seymour was credited with a sack and 4 pressures, but those numbers did not reflect what a terror he was busting up the gut. That was kind of an exception to the general rule, though.

We have been pretty conservative in TRYING to apply pressure from what I can see and aren't using much in the way of stunts to spring somebody free. Mike Vrabel hasn't been in there as often as we'd like to see, but Adalius Thomas has been getting a few sacks and pressures of late.

I've seen exactly one blitz from Mayo and he came shooting up the middle like he was fired out of a cannon. Thats what he can bring, but so far? They haven't used him to bring pressure much at all.

If Ben is in there then expect him to have plenty of time. He's pretty slippery and strong, however, If it's the black Bledsoe, then expect about 4 or 5 sacks.

So, what you're saying is, the Pats are going to focus on stopping our running game, and not get any pressure on Ben, giving him all the time he needs to wait for his WRs to torch the Pats Secondary, and thus allowing him to sit back and slice and dice the Patriots D at his leisure via an arial assault, including deep "splash plays" to Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington, and also some mid-range tosses to Hines Ward when he isn't busy knocking LBs into next week?

Our secondary did a good job against Manning and his recieving corp. holding them down to just 18 points at home. Im pretty sure we will do just fine.

What ben has to do is heal his shoulder.

I'd call the pass rush curiously MIA.

It has been there at times, such as vs. St. Louis when Seymour was credited with a sack and 4 pressures, but those numbers did not reflect what a terror he was busting up the gut. That was kind of an exception to the general rule, though.

We have been pretty conservative in TRYING to apply pressure from what I can see and aren't using much in the way of stunts to spring somebody free. Mike Vrabel hasn't been in there as often as we'd like to see, but Adalius Thomas has been getting a few sacks and pressures of late.

I've seen exactly one blitz from Mayo and he came shooting up the middle like he was fired out of a cannon. Thats what he can bring, but so far? They haven't used him to bring pressure much at all.

If Ben is in there then expect him to have plenty of time. He's pretty slippery and strong, however, If it's the black Bledsoe, then expect about 4 or 5 sacks.

1. LOL @ "the black Bledsoe". :thumb:

2. Apparently Ben aggravated his shoulder injury on the QB sneak for the TD, and I heard he is currently listed as "doubtful" for the Colts game. :suicide:

I don't believe I said anything remotely close to this above interpretation but I will take this opportunity to add that a consequence factored into allowing a Roethlisberger a load of decision-making time increases the amount of drool that begins to form/flow -- not as a result of the identification of easy pickins, mind you -- but more as a sense of euphoria comes over the cranial-challenged when their mind wanders from tasks-at-hand to those paths of least resistance of Happy Meals, Saturday morning cartoon marathons, large bunches of balloons one can hold while running in circles and the like which results in pooling puddles at the feet which can end in self-induced slip 'n falls in the pocket :thumb::thumb:

If memory serves me correctly the Pats MO is to blitz somewhat more vs. Big Ben. He still has a problem in his read progression in IMHO.

From what I've been able to look at (I tend to avert my eyes while following the Patriots this year) the Patriots have had a good run defense, a terrible secondary, and virtually no pass rush whatsoever.

lack of a pass rush is a byproduct of the second one, terrible secondary..

a sense of euphoria comes over the cranial-challenged when their mind wanders from tasks-at-hand to those paths of least resistance of Happy Meals, Saturday morning cartoon marathons, large bunches of balloons one can hold while running in circles and the like which results in pooling puddles at the feet which can end in self-induced slip 'n falls in the pocket :thumb::thumb:

This sounds as if you speak from experience, perhaps while perusing the latest models of RealDolls vis a vis your hand in your pocket, as you simultaneously ensure that you will never have prostate cancer and slowly but surely induce blindness upon yourself.

Back