I Love This Forum!

HipKat

Buffalo to The Bone!!
Reaction score
I just gotta say it, I love coming here.

Not just because we all love football, even though our teams are rivals, but I LOVE the other subjects that come up here. Music, movies, oddities like Bigfoot, aliens and OBE's plus who doesn't love hot girls??

But you guys take every subject seriously and come with a crap-ton of knowledge! You just don't find this mix on other sites.
It's probably an East Coast thing. Coastal People on both sides are just more open to deeper thinking, alternate views and information and seem to be more well-read than Midwesterners.

And a total difference from the Range where every thread devolves into an argument

Just wanted to get that out!

Last edited:

Not just because we all love football, even though our teams are rivals, but I LOVE the other subjects that come here. Music, movies, oddities like Bigfoot, aliens and OBE's plus who doesn't love hot girls??

But you guys take every subject seriously and come with a crapton of knowledge! You just don't find this mix on other sites.
It's probably an East Coast thing. Coast People on both sides are just more open to deeper thinking, alternate views and information and seem to be more well-read than Midwesterners.

And a total difference from the Range where every thread devolves into an argument

Yes, this is absolutely a wonderful forum populated by the most amazing people, and this is why I have called it my home on the interwebs since 2008.

Good thread, man.

Not just because we all love football, even though our teams are rivals, but I LOVE the other subjects that come up here. Music, movies, oddities like Bigfoot, aliens and OBE's plus who doesn't love hot girls??

But you guys take every subject seriously and come with a crap-ton of knowledge! You just don't find this mix on other sites.
It's probably an East Coast thing. Coastal People on both sides are just more open to deeper thinking, alternate views and information and seem to be more well-read than Midwesterners.

I must say you pointed out everything what’s great about this forum. Well done

Attachments

• B445B2B7-EBC1-495F-B6EC-841CB60DFD27.jpeg
    B445B2B7-EBC1-495F-B6EC-841CB60DFD27.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 17

I'm just going to sit over here and pout. In Iowa. But the point stands - this is a great forum.

Actually, I love the Midwest! I've actually found there's a much broader diversity of opinion on many things, and people are much less hesitant to speak their mind openly, even about politics and religion - which I found to be no-nos in the northeast unless you're very confident in everyone around you. I put some thought into why this might be, and here's what I came up with:
Everyone in the country is exposed to the thoughts of the coasts, especially the northeast and west coast, because that's where the business and culture centers are. These thought patterns are on blast to all 50 states, full-tilt, full-time. Everyone knows them, and a decent chunk of people are strongly influenced by them.

But the reverse is not true. The coasts are not much influenced by the thought patterns and thinking styles of the Midwest, especially away from the bigger Midwestern cities. It's a much bigger divide than urban v rural on the coast. The differences in what is considered important, and the weight put on things. Sure, there are transplants from the Midwest on the coasts, but those tend to be the people who have left looking for a more "coastal" life.

I've found myself exposed to manners of thought and ways of being that are new to me much more since moving out here than in all my time on the east coast, where I lived/worked/went to school in NH, Boston, Worcester, NYC, DC, and Northern VA. And I'll add in my time in South Bend, as high-end universities bring the same sort of feel and you're barely outside of Chicagoland - though I did get some exposure to Midwestern style there.

I mean, my oldest daughter is 18 and headed into her sophomore year of college (in Florida.) Yeah, she's young in her class, but I've been floored by the number of her HS classmates that are already engaged or married, and how supportive their families are of getting married that young. I got married at 23 in NH and was getting lectured, looked down on, and wtf-are-you-doing'd by friends and family for THAT.

I'm not saying I won't end up moving back at some point - life is funny, and I've found that God laughs while I make my plans - but I can say I don't plan to.

You expressed so well. It is a marvelous place indeed. Glad to have you aboard here.

And yes the knowledge the people have here in SO many areas is just mouth dropping amazing.
Yeah, but nothing beats the recent Sox game threads on BSU ;)

I'm just going to sit over here and pout. In Iowa. But the point stands - this is a great forum.

Actually, I love the Midwest! I've actually found there's a much broader diversity of opinion on many things, and people are much less hesitant to speak their mind openly, even about politics and religion - which I found to be no-nos in the northeast unless you're very confident in everyone around you. I put some thought into why this might be, and here's what I came up with:
Everyone in the country is exposed to the thoughts of the coasts, especially the northeast and west coast, because that's where the business and culture centers are. These thought patterns are on blast to all 50 states, full-tilt, full-time. Everyone knows them, and a decent chunk of people are strongly influenced by them.

But the reverse is not true. The coasts are not much influenced by the thought patterns and thinking styles of the Midwest, especially away from the bigger Midwestern cities. It's a much bigger divide than urban v rural on the coast. The differences in what is considered important, and the weight put on things. Sure, there are transplants from the Midwest on the coasts, but those tend to be the people who have left looking for a more "coastal" life.

I've found myself exposed to manners of thought and ways of being that are new to me much more since moving out here than in all my time on the east coast, where I lived/worked/went to school in NH, Boston, Worcester, NYC, DC, and Northern VA. And I'll add in my time in South Bend, as high-end universities bring the same sort of feel and you're barely outside of Chicagoland - though I did get some exposure to Midwestern style there.

I mean, my oldest daughter is 18 and headed into her sophomore year of college (in Florida.) Yeah, she's young in her class, but I've been floored by the number of her HS classmates that are already engaged or married, and how supportive their families are of getting married that young. I got married at 23 in NH and was getting lectured, looked down on, and wtf-are-you-doing'd by friends and family for THAT.

I'm not saying I won't end up moving back at some point - life is funny, and I've found that God laughs while I make my plans - but I can say I don't plan to.
I think Central, IL is just an anomaly of closed-mindedness and uninteresting people.
I would kill to move back to Buffalo, but I just bought a house here. Maybe when I retire

What did you expect the Bills to do this season? What record do you foresee? Are you thinking 13-14 wins and Allen in the MVP discussion? I think both are possible.

What did you expect the Bills to do this season? What record do you foresee? Are you thinking 13-14 wins and Allen in the MVP discussion? I think both are possible.
I t hink it will be similar to last year, pretty much as you posted here. as long as Covid doesn't screw everything up

Lots of laughs, lots of advice, lots of knowledge.
A real community.

I still think of the posters who have passed and also wonder how those who have gone AWOL are doing.

BTW your team is going down Week 1 HipKat.
I dunno, they've been ferocious in preseason. How has Pittsburgh looked?

Thanks Flagg!
ohio here and that was the only part of hk's post i wasn't fond of. the rest was great!
Ohio is actually awesome! We have an office in Columbus and I work there several times a year. I love Ohio. It's a perfect blend of East Coast and Midwest. People are chatty, friendly and forward-thinking but still laid back and have those Midwestern values. Other than Buffalo, the Columbus area would be my next go to, to live permanently

Back