If I were Bill Belichick.

I don't quite get how one more win locks up the #1 seed for them. If they drop both, they finish 12-4. If Denver wins out, they finish 12-4. And Denver would have the head-to-head edge.

That's why one more win gives them the 1 seed.

I don't quite get how one more win locks up the #1 seed for them. If they drop both, they finish 12-4. If Denver wins out, they finish 12-4. And Denver would have the head-to-head edge.

If the Pats go 1-1, they finish 13-3. In this case, Denver is already out since they can do no better than 12-4. If Cincy wins out, they also finish 13-3. They will both have 10-2 conference records. Next tie breaker is common games percentage (minimum of 4 opponents). They have 4 common opponents:

Buffalo: Pats 2-0; Cincy 1-0
Pitt: Pats 1-0; Cincy 1-1
Houston: Pats 1-0; Cincy 0-1
Denver: Pats 0-1; Cincy 1-0

Pats win it 4-1 vs 3-2.

Play everyone this weekend and beat the Jets, then rest the important starters in week 17 and I think they still smoke the Fins in Miami.

To me, if you're going to take a game off to rest players, it should be this week against the Jets, rather than the final game against the Dolphins, as the Pats will have the first round bye after the Dolphins game.

Couldn't disagree more.

I'm flat out stunned people around here are advocating this.

We've watched and laughed at others doing it countless times, only to implode.

It's usually the primary ingredient in the recipe of failure.

If the Pats go 1-1, they finish 13-3. In this case, Denver is already out since they can do no better than 12-4. If Cincy wins out, they also finish 13-3. They will both have 10-2 conference records. Next tie breaker is common games percentage (minimum of 4 opponents). They have 4 common opponents:

Buffalo: Pats 2-0; Cincy 1-0
Pitt: Pats 1-0; Cincy 1-1
Houston: Pats 1-0; Cincy 0-1
Denver: Pats 0-1; Cincy 1-0

Pats win it 4-1 vs 3-2.

Thank you (and patsload)... I'm a dope. :party:

How many times did we watch with predictability the Clots take this same tact and come out out of sync and flat?

Is the goal 1 and done?

Play the fvcking games. Take care of business. It's HUGE for the road to go thru Foxboro.

You play scared of injuries and tentative and cautious it doesn't work.

Not the same as the Colts. We are talking about not playing those we know are hurting.

Gronk looked tentative in the second half vs. Titans. Looked like he was reluctant to plant his leg on an extended catch... So, I think you are onto something.

Belichick leaves nothing to chance, so I think he will go into Jets game with every available player and play to win the game.

Then, the key players get 2 weeks off. Week 17 and Bye Week.

I'd guess even the starters will play 1st half of Miami.

Couldn't disagree more.

I agree FWIW. And seriously, I can't imagine BB taking any other stance than the "We've still got work to do. Get it done and Miami is negotiable. Then a bye week. Git er dun "

As always, my wimpy self says IBWT.

Cheers, BostonTim

Foe the record, Hightower played only 50% of the defensive snaps before he got hurt. He WAS being "managed".

Thanks for this. The other thing I heard was that pulling Hightower from the game completely was precautionary more than anything.

To me, if you're going to take a game off to rest players, it should be this week against the Jets, rather than the final game against the Dolphins, as the Pats will have the first round bye after the Dolphins game.

No it's actually the complete opposite.

Couldn't disagree more.

It's a dumb idea but not for the reason you're suggesting. The Ravens in 2012 and Saints in 2009 along with the Seahawks in 2013 all limped into the playoffs IIRC and we know how that turned out. Patriots last year also obviously rested starters in week 17.

The reason you don't rest starters this upcoming week is because you leave the door open for yourself to lose the top seed to the Bengals and create a must-win situation against the Dolphins. If your point is we shouldn't rest players for 3 straight weeks, then yes I completely agree. I don't see how anyone can think that is a good idea.

It's a dumb idea but not for the reason you're suggesting. The Ravens in 2012 and Saints in 2009 along with the Seahawks in 2013 all limped into the playoffs IIRC and we know how that turned out. Patriots last year also obviously rested starters in week 17.

The reason you don't rest starters this upcoming week is because you leave the door open for yourself to lose the top seed to the Bengals and create a must-win situation against the Dolphins. If your point is we shouldn't rest players for 3 straight weeks, then yes I completely agree. I don't see how anyone can think that is a good idea.

I've said the 1 seed is imperative. You have to play to win to secure that. Then? Week 17. I'd do the starters for a half and then sit em. They'll have the bye the next week. Anything more is too long a layoff imo.

Back