If I were Bill Belichick.

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I'm not Bill Belichick.

But if I were, I would give strong consideration to the following.

1. Not play Gronk, Hightower, Amadola, Jules, or DMac the next 2 games.
2. Play TFB the first half against the Jets then have Jimmy G play the rest of the snaps of the regular season. In fact I would not even dress TFB for the Fins game.

The Patriots have clinched the #2 seed and a bye. It's more important to be as close to 100% healthy for the playoffs than it is to get the #1 seed. Who knows, the #1 seed could lose and you would still have home field. Jimmy G could perform so well, that some team would be wiling to part with a 1st round pick to get him.

Agree/ disagree?

Just for the record, I'm not Bill Belichick.

But if I were, I would give strong consideration to the following.

1. Not play Gronk, Hightower, Amadola, Jules, or DMac the next 2 games.
2. Play TFB the first half against the Jets then have Jimmy D play the rest of the snaps of the regular season. In fact I would not even dress TFB for the Fins game.

The Patriots have clinched the #2 seed and a bye. It's more important to be as close to 100% healthy for the playoffs than it is to get the #1 seed. Who knows, the #1 seed could lose and you would still have home field. Jimmy D could perform so well, that some team would be wiling to part with a 1st round pick to get him.

Agree/ disagree?

Who is this Jimmy D you speak of?.....

I don't know. If beating the Jets helps eliminate them from making the playoffs ... I might be all over that.

Then again, the way this team has been suffering injuries ...........

Gronk will definitely play next week. The rest IMO are more likely than not to be out.

Never going to happen. The pats are not going to sit players with a chance to get number 1 seed, that is just not what they do.

I'd much rather see the Steelers come to NE than the JEST, so Pats need to win next week and pretty much lock up the #1.

All I can say is it is a good thing the OP isn't Bill Belichick.

I hope BB does everything he can to assure that the team ends with the #1 seed. When that is accomplished he can manage injuries, rest and playing time accordingly rather than some formula that is based on nothing.

No, one more win clinches the #1 seed, mostly owing to the fact that CIN and DEN play each other next week.

Does it? We were behind Cincy on tie-breaker when both teams were 10-2. Did we just fall behind because it was also tied with Denver?

Anyhow: Knock the Jets out of the playoff next week. Denver will beat Cincy if Dalton doesnt play. Then we can rest vs the Dolphins.

This thread is a running summary of playoff scenarios

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=70856

Bottom line is one Pats win locks up the #1 seed. The Pats own the tie-breaker over Cincy. At 13-3, they would finish with 10-2 conference records. Next tie-breaker is common opponents which the Pats have already locked up.

The Jets don't control their destiny. If Pitt and KC win out, then they have to hope that Denver loses one game, which would give the AFCW to KC and the Jets would win the tiebreaker over Denver for the last WC spot.

Gronk looked tentative in the second half vs. Titans. Looked like he was reluctant to plant his leg on an extended catch... So, I think you are onto something.

Belichick leaves nothing to chance, so I think he will go into Jets game with every available player and play to win the game.

Then, the key players get 2 weeks off. Week 17 and Bye Week.

How many times did we watch with predictability the Clots take this same tact and come out out of sync and flat?

Is the goal 1 and done?

Play the fvcking games. Take care of business. It's HUGE for the road to go thru Foxboro.

You play scared of injuries and tentative and cautious it doesn't work.

How many times did we watch with predictability the Clots take this same tact and come out out of sync and flat?

Is the goal 1 and done?

Play the fvcking games. Take care of business. It's HUGE for the road to go thru Foxboro.

You play scared of injuries and tentative and cautious it doesn't work.

To me, if you're going to take a game off to rest players, it should be this week against the Jets, rather than the final game against the Dolphins, as the Pats will have the first round bye after the Dolphins game.

I don't quite get how one more win locks up the #1 seed for them. If they drop both, they finish 12-4. If Denver wins out, they finish 12-4. And Denver would have the head-to-head edge.

If Denver beats Cincy next Monday night, and the Patriots beat the Jets, then I would treat the Miami game like an unwanted, unprecedented 6th preseason game. I hear what others are saying, but this is a very atypical year in terms of injuries. And I have little reason to believe that a layoff would impact the Patriots the way it would impact a lot of teams.

#1 job here is getting healthy, IMO. Not rested. There is a difference.

Back