If more than 2 teams

They bestow the honor of choosing the team on a guy who knows about both suck and luck...Rex Ryan :coffee:

Strength of schedule is the first tie breaker. The team with the easiest schedule picks first.

Ten games to go. I doubt any teams finish 0-16 this year. :eek:hnoez:

With the hottest QB prospect in the last 10-20 years up for grabs, you'd be surprised...
Posted via Mobile Device

I still doubt any team finishes winless this year.

The Colts have a great shot at it and all the motivation in the world. Not to mention a history of tanking games. They may not even have to go 0-16 but I think they put themselves in position for #1, whether they choose Luck or Jones or whomever.

I've seen several articles about Luck's friendship with P. Manning; Manning advised him to stay in college last year based on his experience at Tennessee. Many are writing that Luck is the best prospect to come along since Manning and it wouldn't be fair for the Colts to follow one with the other. I'd rather see luck in the NFC but if not then at least not in our division (Lolphins).

Luck plays on TV tonight at 8 for those interested.

But Luck isn't the only good QB expected in this draft.

ESPNStatsInfo ESPN Stats & Info

Landry Jones now has 493 yards, a new <s class="hash">#</s>Oklahoma record for a single game. The previous record was 468, set by Jones in 2010 and 2011.

8 minutes ago

As Tommy said last week, Landry Jones will be a great consolation prize and both Tommy and I think Jones may actually be a little better than Luck.

Jones has beaten nearly all of Sam Bradford's records.

If 2 or more teams finish with zero wins in the NFL, then the rule is that they have to spend the next 5 years as a CFL team.

But Luck isn't the only good QB expected in this draft.

As Tommy said last week, Landry Jones will be a great consolation prize and both Tommy and I think Jones may actually be a little better than Luck.

Jones has beaten nearly all of Sam Bradford's records.

Got another long look at Luck tonight.

I'm going to stand by what I said before. Luck is an excellent QB, and he's going to make some team very happy they have him.

But what I don't understand is the "best QB in the last 25 years" stuff. I mean, for example, Peyton Manning was less than that - and he was much more complete at the college level.

He's a really good QB now, and will probably be a really good pro too - pro bowls and all that stuff. But if you're a team expecting a "once-in-a-generation" quarterback - you're going to be disappointed.

Then again, if you're drafting him at #1 overall, you're already pretty bad - so you won't be able to tell the difference. Or care, for that matter.

Got another long look at Luck tonight.

I'm going to stand by what I said before. Luck is an excellent QB, and he's going to make some team very happy they have him.

But what I don't understand is the "best QB in the last 25 years" stuff. I mean, for example, Peyton Manning was less than that - and he was much more complete at the college level.

He's a really good QB now, and will probably be a really good pro too - pro bowls and all that stuff. But if you're a team expecting a "once-in-a-generation" quarterback - you're going to be disappointed.

Then again, if you're drafting him at #1 overall, you're already pretty bad - so you won't be able to tell the difference. Or care, for that matter.

I've only seen youtube clips of the guy and thought "yeah, he's good", but I didn't see anything that the Sam Bradfords etc haven't shown. I'd love to know why he's rated as the best in 20 years as well.

I've only seen youtube clips of the guy and thought "yeah, he's good", but I didn't see anything that the Sam Bradfords etc haven't shown. I'd love to know why he's rated as the best in 20 years as well.

Everything is hype these days, with everyone wanting to say they predicted the next star. I remember in the days before SB XXXVIII, Jake Delhomme was the next big gun in the mold of Brady, then it was Romo. I don't even pay attention anymore, it's so ridiculous.

Regardless of how many, if any teams go 0-16, I hope we we can all agree that the NFL should NEVER have a knee-jerk reaction and implement a lottery system like the NBA and NHL have.

I loathe the lottery system; if you suck you suck, and why should a team who did not have the worst season, like the Spurs did when they got to pick Tim Duncan, get to have a chance at the difference maker more than the truly wretched teams?

That's a better outcome?

One of the reasons why the NFL is the most popular of the professional sport is because of the success and popularity of college football and the excitement of the college draft.

Don't blow it Goodell, you've already done enough damage to the NFL.

Luck = David Carr.

The team that takes Landry Jones will be laughing in five years.

I wouldn't go that far. He's going to be a good player for many years. But he's going to be more Donnie McNabb and less John Elway.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...luck-article-1.968695?localLinksEnabled=false

NFL should consider going to draft lottery to avoid teams tanking to get Stanford QB Andrew Luck
Sunday Morning Quarterback

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, October 29 2011

Stanford's Andrew Luck is the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning was drafted in 1998, and is creating more draft hysteria than any player since John Elway in '83. And it's impacting the integrity of the game.
“Suck For Luck” is clever and funny, of course, but it's not a good thing when fans are rooting for their teams to lose just two months into the season, and there are whispers in October whether teams are truly trying to “Suck For Luck.”
Roger Goodell should change the rules in the middle of the game: Instead of the No. 1 pick in the draft going to the team with the worst record, the NFL needs to institute a modified version of the NBA's draft lottery, which includes all the teams that don't make the playoffs.
Our proposal: A weighted lottery for the teams with the five worst records. In a typical year that would include teams that won four games or fewer. The team with the worst record would own the most ping-pong balls. It makes sense for the NFL: It would not only eliminate the integrity questions in Miami and Indianapolis and elsewhere, but the league can turn it into a moneymaker by selling the television rights for the draft lottery and naming rights to the states of the teams that run lotteries.
Hey, you never know.
The NFL should do it for the 2012 Luck Derby and all future drafts.
The NBA began its lottery in 1985 after the Houston Rockets were accused of tanking games to get Hakeem Olajuwon one year earlier. The Knicks won the NBA's first lottery, but that didn't end the cynicism as the league was accused of fixing it so Patrick Ewing, the clear top pick, would go to the Knicks.
An NFL general manager told the Daily News that he would “absolutely” endorse a draft lottery “to make sure there is no manipulation, to keep everybody on a level playing field,” he said. “Nobody goes out and plays to deliberately lose, but they may not do things that help them win. Like bringing in a better player.”
The GM was referring to the Colts, who left themselves exposed at backup quarterback even though they knew that Manning had neck surgery in May. Manning and the Colts were at a disadvantage because they weren't allowed to have contact during the lockout, but the Colts waited until Aug. 25, exactly one month after the lockout ended, to add a veteran backup. They brought in Kerry Collins out of retirement, while still hoping Manning could play.
Manning then had serious neck surgery on Sept. 8 and is likely lost for the season. The Colts thought so little of backup Curtis Painter, their sixth-round pick in 2009, that Collins started the opener in Houston despite being with the team only 17 days.
Collins suffered a concussion in the third game and last week was placed on injured reserve. For his troubles, Collins is making $4 million. Combined with the $26.4 million the Colts owe Manning this season as part of his new contract, that's $30.4 million to quarterbacks not on the field.
Giants co-owner John Mara, a member of the competition committee, said a draft lottery has never been discussed. “I don't think it will ever happen,” he said. “I don't think any team out there intentionally tries to lose games. Players on the field are naturally competitive and want to win, plus they are fighting for their jobs. The coaching staff is not going to do it. If they are having that bad of a season, they are concerned about their job. I have not seen any evidence in all my years of teams tanking a game.”
The Colts (0-7), Dolphins (0-6) and Rams (0-6) are the favorites to get the top pick. The Cardinals (1-6) and Vikings (1-5) are also in contention. Can you imagine if the Colts get the pick, the Colts take Luck and Manning returns next season 100%. The Colts have found out what life without Manning is like, so there is no way they pass on Luck.
Dolphins fans should picket Radio City on draft night if the Colts get Luck. In the 12 seasons since Dan Marino retired, the Dolphins have started 16 different quarterbacks. In the 13 years since Elway retired, the Broncos have started 11 quaerterbacks. Until this season, Manning had been the only Colts QB to start since 1998.
It's funny, but before the new collective bargaining agreement included a drastic reduction in rookie contracts, teams that owned the No. 1 pick were desperate to get rid of it because it just cost too much money. Bill Parcells, then directing the Dolphins, couldn't give his first rounder away in 2008, and then made a mistake taking tackle Jake Long instead of quarterback Matt Ryan.
In any system, no team would run away from Luck, or have trouble trading the pick if they already had a quarterback, which is the situation the Rams may be facing since they drafted Sam Bradford with the top pick in 2010. Bradford signed a six-year $78 million deal with $50 million guaranteed. Cam Newton, the first No. 1 pick limited by the new rookie wage scale, signed a four-year, $22 million contract, all of which is guaranteed.
Why are the Colts so bad when the Patriots survived without Tom Brady?
It was halfway through the first-quarter of the first game of the 2008 season when Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury. He was replaced by Matt Cassel and the Patriots were presumed to be finished.
Cassel was a complete unknown. He had attempted 22 passes in his first three years. He never started a game at USC and was a seventh-round draft pick. The Patriots had no time to prepare for life without Brady. They went on to win 11 games, although they didn't make the playoffs - they lost the AFC East division title tie-breaker to the Dolphins and the wild-card tie-breaker to the Ravens.
The Patriots were coming off an undefeated regular season and were certainly better than the Colts, who won the AFC South last year with a 10-6 record.
But what's happened to the Colts this year proves they were a one-man show with Manning and a supporting cast that was nothing without him. He might be the MVP of the league without taking a snap. Manning is a top five quarterback of all time, but it's inexcusable the Colts are 0-7 and were not even interested in playing in last week's 62-7 loss to the Saints.
Colts president Bill Polian is supposed to be some kind of genius because he had the good sense to draft Manning over Ryan Leaf, which of course has turned into the biggest no-brainer in NFL history, but at the time did cause some debate around the league.
Polian helped build the Bills teams that went to four consecutive Super Bowls - he was gone after the first three - because he had the good fortune to inherit Jim Kelly after the USFL folded. His best job might have been in Carolina, where the expansion Panthers made the NFC Championship Game in their second year. Collins was his QB and the first player he drafted in franchise history. But he failed the Colts by not signing Matt Hasselbeck or trading for Donovan McNabb or just finding someone better than Painter as soon as the lockout ended.
“Bill Polian is great and he's got a chance at the Hall of Fame,” one GM said. “But in 100 years, I will never understand why they didn't have a backup quarterback who is established. I'm even more shocked that they paid Manning (by signing him to a new contract) without knowing for sure if he could play or not. Then not to have a plan in place in the event he couldn't play or couldn't play early. I'm shocked. The only thing that makes sense is maybe they want Andrew Luck. That would be one thing that would go through your mind.”
Does he think the Colts are intentionally bad?
“I would never accuse anybody of that. Ever,” he said. “I have too much respect for the league and too much respect for the people that do their jobs. But the temptation of thinking it is there. If you are not thinking it, you are stupid.”
Mara dismissed the idea that the Colts are trying to lose for Luck. “I know (Polian) well enough to know that,” he said. “This is killing him.”
“I don't think a fan should want a team to lose, whether now or later,” Luck told the Los Angeles Times. “Fans should support their team, have them win, and whatever happens, happens.”
The Jets play at Miami in the final game of the season. If they have nothing at stake, it would be in their best interest to lose if it keeps Luck out of the AFC East.
Solution: Draft lottery.

Back