If you were an NFL player, would you rather win a superbowl or make the hall of fame?

Couple of things:

1. I'm not going to piss my money away.
2. Even if not everyone remembers me, I've got a bust in Canton where only the legends of the game are able to play.
3. Stop thinking like a fan. This is your job. You're essentially arguing you'd rather spend one year in the mail room of the top company in your field vs being one of the best employees ever to walk the earth.
4. Eli will also be remembered as a hero to the Down's syndrome community for proving you can still achieve your dreams even with Down's.

1) Yes you are
2) So you can go and gaze at your bust that no one knows is in there but you
3) Why are you correlating my position to being a fan? Every single player talks about getting a ring. Many take less money to get a ring. Great players like Marino and Kelly talk about how not getting a ring haunts them.
4) Eli is a complete paradox. Pats fans own personal penance is to have to reconcile the GOAT QB losing twice to Mr. Downs. It is Pey Pey's* penance too.

5. Do you think Plunkett would trade in his TWO rings to be in the HoF?

1) Yes you are
2) So you can go and gaze at your bust that no one knows is in there but you
3) Why are you correlating my position to being a fan? Every single player talks about getting a ring. Many take less money to get a ring. Great players like Marino and Kelly talk about how not getting a ring haunts them.
4) Eli is a complete paradox. Pats fans own personal penance is to have to reconcile the GOAT QB losing twice to Mr. Downs. It is Pey Pey's* penance too.

1. Nah son. Ima diversify my bonds.
2. Yeah, as well anyone else who visits the Hall. That's more than Dan Klecko will be able to say.
3. Because valuing being a nobody on a SB winner over a HOF career doesn't get more fan. Of course fans will pick rings because they get to celebrate that. As fans we never think about the fact that this is someone's job. It's how they feed and support their families.

As to why players say that? I have no doubt some actually believe it. Those who do aren't generally some 3rd string Jag who is fighting to stay off the practice squad. So yeah, if I've already got millions let me take a few million less to go somewhere good. That's a luxury guys with HOF level careers can take.

I'm sure on some level not winning a ring does cause Kelly and Marino quite a bit of regret.

You know what haunts guys like Dan Klecko? Paying their mortgage and remembering where their keys are.

Per your previous post, there are a ton of HoF players that are penniless and their kids have nothing. NFL players piss away their money faster than they piss. Second, you say HoF players live on forever, how many of them can you name? There are probably a hundred or more that most folks don't even know are in there.

I would rather have Klecko and the rings and if you asked Marino, he would trade in the HoF to have beaten Montana in 1984. He would have made a bigger mark in the game beating the QB who many consider the GOAT. Just like Eli will always be remembered most for beating Brady twice rather than the HoF, assuming he gets in.

Marino would be bitching about whatever it is in front of him...no matter what. :coffee:

Per your previous post, there are a ton of HoF players that are penniless and their kids have nothing. NFL players piss away their money faster than they piss. Second, you say HoF players live on forever, how many of them can you name? There are probably a hundred or more that most folks don't even know are in there.

I would rather have Klecko and the rings and if you asked Marino, he would trade in the HoF to have beaten Montana in 1984. He would have made a bigger mark in the game beating the QB who many consider the GOAT. Just like Eli will always be remembered most for beating Brady twice rather than the HoF, assuming he gets in.

HOF players have a special pension I believe...so, it's not true that these players are penniless.

1. Nah son. Ima diversify my bonds.
2. Yeah, as well anyone else who visits the Hall. That's more than Dan Klecko will be able to say.
3. Because valuing being a nobody on a SB winner over a HOF career doesn't get more fan. Of course fans will pick rings because they get to celebrate that. As fans we never think about the fact that this is someone's job. It's how they feed and support their families.

As to why players say that? I have no doubt some actually believe it. Those who do aren't generally some 3rd string Jag who is fighting to stay off the practice squad. So yeah, if I've already got millions let me take a few million less to go somewhere good. That's a luxury guys with HOF level careers can take.

I'm sure on some level not winning a ring does cause Kelly and Marino quite a bit of regret.

You know what haunts guys like Dan Klecko? Paying their mortgage and remembering where their keys are.

So you can steal your bust from the HoF and tuck it under your arm and walk down the street while Klecko walks beside you with his three blings. And Klecko is not broke and plenty of guys in the HoF can't remember where their keys are either or are dead from brain injuries.

The thing is the HoF is filled with guys that have won rings. The greatest of the greats are there precisely because they played their best ball in the post-season. I believe Marino would trade in being there in a heartbeat as every single time his name is brought up, folks say "greatest QB to never win a ring." Who wants that as their legacy even if they have a bust in the hall?

And again, do you think Plunkett would trade in his TWO rings to the be in the Hall?

FTR, the op does not suppose you have to be a bit player on the sb winning team. That could make it an easier choice for some. how about good player/good starter on sb winning team?
i roll my eyes at some of the players in the h.o.f., but i do value highly those who played well in big games. that's straight why guys like bradshaw and swann are in.

FTR, the op does not suppose you have to be a bit player on the sb winning team. That could make it an easier choice for some. how about good player/good starter on sb winning team?
i roll my eyes at some of the players in the h.o.f., but i do value highly those who played well in big games. that's straight why guys like bradshaw and swann are in.

See I interpreted this as a decision between two extremes.

If the choice is between a 15 year starter with a ring or a 15 year starter in the HOF, I'll take the ring.

While playing I would hope for the team accolade of a SB victory. After completing a career I would hope it was good enough for a place in the HOF.

Back