I'm starting to wonder (LB question)

BionicPatriot

Reaction score
With the Pats so far not reportedly going after any LBs, I'm starting to wonder if they'll sign a decent guy to split duty with Bruschi, move Vrabel inside, and have Adalius/Long or Gholston on the outside. IMO, this defense brings the best possible pass rushing threat. Any opinions?

I don't see any FA LB's out there but there could always be a trade?
Maybe this is the year we will draft a LB or two.

There's plenty of middle tier LB candidates still available in FA. I think they'll sign at least one. We've seen Vrabel before at ILB, and while it's nice to know he's versatile enough to fill that role, I think we saw in the first half of last year's campaign, how much more valuable he is to the team on the outside. IMO, he just got worn down by season's end from the lack of having a decent backup (BB's opinion). I do think A Thomas is returning to the outside full time next year though, so unless Colvin re-enters the picture, they really need to bring in an OLB (depth) and an ILB (maybe 2 starters if Seau retires) for 2008, unless the plan is to finally play more of the young guys.

There's plenty of middle tier LB candidates still available in FA. I think they'll sign at least one. We've seen Vrabel before at ILB, and while it's nice to know he's versatile enough to fill that role, I think we saw in the first half of last year's campaign, how much more valuable he is to the team on the outside. IMO, he just got worn down by season's end from the lack of having a decent backup (BB's opinion). I do think A Thomas is returning to the outside full time next year though, so unless Colvin re-enters the picture, they really need to bring in an OLB (depth) and an ILB (maybe 2 starters if Seau retires) for 2008, unless the plan is to finally play more of the young guys.

yeah, pretty much my thinking as well. Though, while I am concerned about our LB's, I'm more concerned about the secondary. I mean, our LB's can't be much worse than when Chad and Monte were back there, can they?

Didn't we just sign Dan Morgan a couple of days ago? He's decent but gets hurt a lot...but I think the position will ultimately be addressed in the draft.

IMO, the Patriots will sign a FA LB. People need to relax here, I think.

RELAX? RELAX? WTF? I am so nervous and I can not wait to see what they do! Oh wait that is Paranoid's gig not mine...lol.

I think the Pats will sign a FA LB and draft one in the first day if not two. I also agree that they will address the defensive backfield too on the first day and maybe even the second day as well....either way I trust Piolicheck to do the right thing...

Just a joke. Morris has been a whipping boy for a number of years (first round pick that never panned out (technically his style wasn't fit for our system)). :D
Yup, I don't know if he'd fit here, but he does have the size and ILB in a 3-4 means less territory to cover, so who knows?

Yup, I don't know if he'd fit here, but he does have the size and ILB in a 3-4 means less territory to cover, so who knows?

To be perfectly honest, I think Morris would be an excellent inside backer in a 3-4 scheme. He has the size, speed, and tenacity to beat an opposing lineman's block, and the awareness to step into limited zone coverage.

Isn't Clark Hagaans someone who would fit in well with the Pats?

To be perfectly honest, I think Morris would be an excellent inside backer in a 3-4 scheme. He has the size, speed, and tenacity to beat an opposing lineman's block, and the awareness to step into limited zone coverage.
Sounds good...now I've gotta wonder if a recommendation from a Colts' fan has an ulterior motive! :huh::poke:

But they could draft a much quicker rookier. Adalius/Gholston or long is faster then Adalius/Vrabel. It also gives the Pats a very good ILB and just a solid vet to fill and they should be alright.

How about they get Jason Taylor AND draft a good rookie AND sign a good backup guy? That, I could deal with.

Back