Is Bill Belichick overrated?

Is Belichick overrated?

• Total voters

gomezcat

Sniffing Ms Cat's knickers
Reaction score
Website
gomezcat.blogspot.com
The Internet, which is always true, claims he is overrated. Who am I to disagree?

Poll to follow.

For the avoidance of doubt, I think that both Belichick and Brady are GOATs. Neither would have been so successful without the other.

On option 3 you spelled "defense"," defence". So I voted to ban you. The reason is that, you can take the Limey out of England, but you can't take the Limey out of the Limey.

I hope that the term "Limey" does no give offense or "offence".

Yeah, whatevs. I've been trying to teach you lot to spell properly for a long time. I don't know why I bother tbh.

Just 13 games and we are already at this question? No. He is not overrated, certainly not as a coach. I think as a GM is a separate discussion.
Bill, just like any other HC, he is dependent on having good players. He has said this time and again. It is a players game. He does not have good players right now. He is most deficient at QB which is why the team is 6-7. When he finds another legit QB and adds some more pieces at the skill positions we will be contending again.

This has been true of Bill's entire coaching career. Here are some stats that I had posted on another thread.
Bill's record:
With Tom Brady as his starting QB: 224-66
With anybody else as his starting QB: 55-71 = 126 games = approx. 8 seasons worth of data as HC
With anybody else as starting QB with Pats: 25-26 = 51 games =approx. 3 seasons worth of data as HC

You can make the case that outside of Bledsoe, Bill has had average (Cassell, Jimmy) to below average (any of his QBs in Cleveland, Newton, Brissett) Qbs to work with and as a result he is a below .500 coach. When Brady came, he became the GOAT because he had the GOAT QB. That is how it works in the NFL and in every sport when you have a transcendent player at the most critical position. It was true with Montana as well.

Last edited:
I voted for Banning and thought to myself, so did Gomezcat, LOL.

Great poll!!!

Just 13 games and we are already at this question? No. He is not overrated, certainly not as a coach. I think as a GM is a separate discussion.
Bill, just like any other HC, he is dependent on having good players. He has said this time and again. It is a players game. He does not have good players right now. He is most deficient at QB which is why the team is 6-7. When he finds another legit QB and adds some more pieces at the skill positions we will be contending again.

This has been true of Bill's entire coaching career. Here are some stats that I had posted on another thread.
Bill's record:
With anybody else as his starting QB: 55-71 = 126 games = approx. 8 seasons worth of data as HC
With anybody else as starting QB with Pats: 25-26 = 51 games =approx. 3 seasons worth of data as HC

You can make the case that outside of Bledsoe, Bill has had average (Cassell, Jimmy) to below average (any of his QBs in Cleveland, Newton, Brissett) Qbs to work with and as a result he is a below .500 coach. When Brady came, he became the GOAT because he had the GOAT QB. That is how it works in the NFL and in every sport when you have a transcendent player at the most critical position. It was true with Montana as well.
Somebody want to tell her?

Bill's record:

Did you read my poll? I think it makes my feelings on this matter crystal clear. Seriously.

Bill is the prime reason why this franchise has enjoyed unprecedented, historical, irrefutable success. I didn't say he was the only reason and nobody else was important, but he is the architect.

He is the guy that decides how the money needs to be distributed. The one who determines which guys will buy into a team-first philosophy. The philosopher who figures out what a "team" really should be like based on a lifetime of careful observation. He is the final arbiter who welcomes opinions from his inner circle, but the final call is one he is never shy about making. The GOAT of all coaches understands the psychology of this particular combat sport better than anybody that has ever lived and continually proves that by reinventing his team from year-to-year and making them maddeningly (to most) consistent and stable. The team never melts down because he has established a culture that values self-sacrifice and leadership from within (see: psychology) that helps him indoctrinate the new guys and forms a kind of extension of the coaching staff. Not everybody stays on the same page all the time, but we do it way more than anybody else in a sport where even the most consistent franchises look comparatively bi-polar.

Many, including me, have frequently questioned his methods of playing riverboat gambler with his high draft choices (often crapping out), but none of us can know for sure whether all the superstars he could've had with those picks might have somehow served to distort his message/vision and we would have won some battles but lost more wars. Bill always tells us to focus on next week, but he sees well beyond the present and keeps the ball rolling.

Right now is a great time for BB critics to fire cannonballs at him. We're in the middle of a poor year by our standards, but even in the middle of all that you can see that he has positioned the team to recover from cap hell and take advantage of free agency in what might be the best year to do so in a long time. QB is still a massive question mark, but I have no problem putting all of my faith in the HC of the NEP.

The more confused he makes me the more impressed I am when I finally figure out it is that he's done. Nobody else does it like him and he does better than all of them. Tip your hat and call him your Daddy, he's the best there ever was.

It is definitely out there. Bill has been questioned this year like no other and deservedly so given how awful our QB situation is and our skill positions at WR and TE.

That being said, I still want him doing this rebuild. We have a ton of cap and plenty of picks for it to hopefully only take a few years to turn around. It all starts with getting the QB.

Last edited:
Back