Is Maroney Good Enough?

Re: Re: Is Maroney Good Enough?

Threadkiller on 08-12-2007 at 05:30 AM said:
two words: Antowain Smith

two words. Offensive line.

Does it matter how good he is when we got a passing attack like we have?

but i think he is not good enough to be honest

I think they're going to be all right in that department considering, as a few others have mentioned, the receiving corps they had last year wasn't exactly spreading opposing defenses thin. I think with real threats that can go deep everyone benefits including their running game.

Some great points on both sides. The O-line is the key and Maroney's health is the second key. The passing game will help tremendously and the TEs will also help take pressure off the line as well. If Maroney is healthy he will be the man...IMO at least.

Is Maroney good enough?

He is good enough, and smart enough, and doggonit, people like him.

Re: Re: Re: Is Maroney Good Enough?

-JJ- on 08-12-2007 at 03:19 PM said:
two words. Offensive line.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that if Smith was good enough to win Superbowls then Maroney will do just fine. Could even be great if he's ready to do the work and stays healthy.

Maybe you didn't and it is me who is misunderstanding you:confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Maroney Good Enough?

Threadkiller on 08-13-2007 at 09:05 AM said:
I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that if Smith was good enough to win Superbowls then Maroney will do just fine. Could even be great if he's ready to do the work and stays healthy.

Maybe you didn't and it is me who is misunderstanding you:confused:

I think we're on the same page.

I was talking about Smith the other day with a friend and how he wasn't that bad especially late in the year and playoffs and he reminded me he was still just an average or below avg straight ahead RB and it was the oline...which had gel'd so efficiently those SB runs.

I'm guarded on the running game this season. Mainly because of Maroney's health.

Still..if the Oline plays in unison, and it is good, and with all the Polian emphasis on passing its a different game from the old smashmouth run it. As BB said, offenses have to be dynamic today because defenses have gotten so much better...and bigger...and faster.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Maroney plays so well this year (and stays healthy enough) that this thread is Hall of Fame worthy by season's end.

Oh, and that Sammy Morris plays well enough that people stop questioning why NE didn't sign anyone else.

Maroney-Faulk-Morris-Evans and whoever else the Pats will use are good enough. The question is never whether one player is good enough. But Maroney, if healthy, is good enough to be the lead dog, I think.

TommyD420 on 08-12-2007 at 12:10 AM said:
I'm concerned myself. He couldn't even stay healthy last year, and he never had a game where he had 20 carries. To me, his durability is an issue, and hopefully, he's been cured of his tendency to dance in the hole. Morris is not going to be a solid back-up, if last night was any indication.

However, and I'm very guilty of this...I always "forget" about Faulk, and how he just exudes awesomeness everytime he's on the field. I know he's been working very hard about ball control this offseason. If the fumble-itis has been cured, I feel a BUNCH better about the RB situation as a whole.

:pat:

I agree with your assessment of Maroney and Morris. However, in respect to your assessment of Faulk's fumble-itis :shake:

In his 8 year career, Faulk has played in 106 games, made 632 Rushing attempts, 276 Receptions, 3 Pass Attempts (1 completed 0 INT), 171 Kick Returns and 84 Punt Returns.

He's touched the ball 1,163 times, made 23 fumbles and lost 1/2 of them (16). So it's not that he fumbles a lot, but that way too many of his fumbles are recovered by the other team. And evidently those turnovers occur in times of dire need for the :pat:, hence the false impression of fumble-itis. :Lecture:

I think were screwed. I think brady will be passing over 50 times a game.

Back