Is the End near???

Imagine being on an Ark with a pair of Tyrannosaurus Rex's...First that Arc would have to be one big motherfvcker and 2nd Noah better be a kick ass Lion tamer..:coffee:

You idiot. The Raptors. They would kill anything before the T-Rex shows up.

Duh.

:coffee:
Posted via Mobile Device

:shake:

You can't calculate the energy equivalent, based on the diameter, without knowing the density of the object.

The equation for energy would be 1/2mv^2.

There are three basic classes of object that can hit us. Comets (ice), Stone asteroids and metal asteroids.

The density goes up in that order.

Will we get hit by a planet killer again?

Yes.

however a 500 m object would only ruin the day of those people near the impact site.

BTW, I'm not sure I believe the 1,000 year frequency for the 50 MT event.

Meteor crater in Az was 50,000 years ago and is estimated to have been 10 MT.

So between then and now there should have been many more than 50 of craters that size made on the earth.

Where are they?

Yes, 7/8 of the earth is water, so 7/8 of 50 is 6.25.

Looking at the graph the 10 MT event is near to once a century, so there should be over 62 craters on land equal to what's in Az.

Where are they?

Why are there no historical records?

Have you asked eninnnemun? He has the pipeline to All h.

Posted via Mobile Device

You idiot. The Raptors. They would kill anything before the T-Rex shows up.

Duh.

Posted via Mobile Device
I'll put my two Trex's against your two measly Raptors anytime../Mike Vick mode

homer.jpg

Cheers

Makes total sense to me for instance Iron would be more dense than a conglomerate,of ice and other less dense minerals...So I would imagine a solid iron asteroid would be much more explosive..

Exactly.

So an iron meteor 500m in diameter would have a much higher MT rating than a 500m ball of ice (i.e., a comet). So you can't plot MT rating vs diameter. You have to do it vs mass.

I just noticed something else funny about this plot.

asteroid-impact-frequency.gif

It has the annual event listed at 20 MT. But if you look at where that point lies on the horizontal axis, it is well below the 1 MT tick mark.

Also, if we had a 20MT event once a year, I think we'd notice it.

The bomb dropped on Hiroshima had a yield under 20 KT, which is 0.02 MT.

Here's the description of what a 20 MT nuclear weapon would do.

EFFECT OF 20 MEGATON NUCLEAR BOMB
What Would Happen if a 20 Megaton Nuclear Explosion on a City of 3 Million?

Ground Zero

Within 1/100th of a second, a fireball would form in every direction from ground zero enveloping downtown and reaching out for two miles.

Temperatures would rise to 20 million degrees Fahrenheit, and everything — buildings, trees, cars, and people - would he vaporized.

2 to 4 Miles from Ground Zero
The blast would produce pressures of 25 pounds per square inch and winds in excess of 650 miles per hour. These titanic forces would rip buildings apart and level everything, including reinforced concrete and steel structures. Even deep underground bomb shelters would be crushed.

4 to 10 Miles from Ground Zero
The heat would vaporize automobile sheet metal. Glass would melt. At this distance, the blast wave would create pressures of 7 to 10 pounds per square inch and winds of 200 miles per hour. Masonry and wood frames would be leveled.

16 Miles from Ground Zero
The heat would ignite all easily flammable materials -houses, paper, cloth, leaves, gasoline, heating fuel - starting hundreds of thousands of fires.

Fanned by blast winds still in excess of 100 miles per hour, these fires would merge into a giant firestorm more than 30 miles across and covering 800 square miles. Everything within this entire area would be consumed by flames. Temperatures would rise to 1400° F. The death rate would approach 10070!

Beyond 16 Miles

The blast would still produce pressures of two pounds per square inch, enough to shatter glass windows and turn each of them into hundreds of lethal missiles flying outward from the center at 100 miles per hour.

At 29 miles, the heat would be so intense that all exposed skin, not protected by clothing, would suffer third degree burns. Even as far as 40 miles from ground zero anyone who turned to gaze at the sudden flash of light would be blinded by burns on the retina and at the back of their eyes.

Within minutes after the bomb exploded 1,000,000 would die. Among the 1,800,000 survivors, more than 1,100,000 would be fatally injured.

Another 500,000 would have major medical injuries from which they might recover if they received adequate medical care.

Less than 200,000 people would remain without injuries - with very few doctors and with only limited medical facilities.​

Exactly.

So an iron meteor 500m in diameter would have a much higher MT rating than a 500m ball of ice (i.e., a comet). So you can't plot MT rating vs diameter. You have to do it vs mass.

It has the annual event listed at 20 MT. But if you look at where that point lies on the horizontal axis, it is well below the 1 MT tick mark.
I was think WTF also, however we had quite of few events in the last century...Excluding Asteroids and comets we had the A Bomb and a few of those we didn't notice I'm sure..:)(top secret testing in the old USSR,USA and a few others.) :)

I was think WTF also, however we had quite of few events in the last century...Excluding Asteroids and comments we had the A Bomb and a few of those we didn't notice I'm sure..:)(top secret testing in the old USSR,USA and a few others.) :)

Well I don't think many comments here go unnoticed. :coffee:

Exactly.

Also, if we had a 20MT event once a year, I think we'd notice it.

The bomb dropped on Hiroshima had a yield under 20 KT, which is 0.02 MT.

Here's the description of what a 20 MT nuclear weapon would do.

EFFECT OF 20 MEGATON NUCLEAR BOMB
What Would Happen if a 20 Megaton Nuclear Explosion on a City of 3 Million?

Ground Zero

Within 1/100th of a second, a fireball would form in every direction from ground zero enveloping downtown and reaching out for two miles.

Temperatures would rise to 20 million degrees Fahrenheit, and everything — buildings, trees, cars, and people - would he vaporized.

2 to 4 Miles from Ground Zero
The blast would produce pressures of 25 pounds per square inch and winds in excess of 650 miles per hour. These titanic forces would rip buildings apart and level everything, including reinforced concrete and steel structures. Even deep underground bomb shelters would be crushed.

4 to 10 Miles from Ground Zero
The heat would vaporize automobile sheet metal. Glass would melt. At this distance, the blast wave would create pressures of 7 to 10 pounds per square inch and winds of 200 miles per hour. Masonry and wood frames would be leveled.

16 Miles from Ground Zero
The heat would ignite all easily flammable materials -houses, paper, cloth, leaves, gasoline, heating fuel - starting hundreds of thousands of fires.

Fanned by blast winds still in excess of 100 miles per hour, these fires would merge into a giant firestorm more than 30 miles across and covering 800 square miles. Everything within this entire area would be consumed by flames. Temperatures would rise to 1400° F. The death rate would approach 10070!

Beyond 16 Miles

The blast would still produce pressures of two pounds per square inch, enough to shatter glass windows and turn each of them into hundreds of lethal missiles flying outward from the center at 100 miles per hour.

At 29 miles, the heat would be so intense that all exposed skin, not protected by clothing, would suffer third degree burns. Even as far as 40 miles from ground zero anyone who turned to gaze at the sudden flash of light would be blinded by burns on the retina and at the back of their eyes.

Within minutes after the bomb exploded 1,000,000 would die. Among the 1,800,000 survivors, more than 1,100,000 would be fatally injured.

Another 500,000 would have major medical injuries from which they might recover if they received adequate medical care.

Less than 200,000 people would remain without injuries - with very few doctors and with only limited medical facilities.​

I thought that plot looked funny, as well. Thanks for clarifying it for us.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aGmAmJFUvzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tVEPvXBEOSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tVEPvXBEOSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Priceless +1

At least I think I gave you +rep. The rep window pops up behind any embedded video so I couldn't see if it was the + or - rep radio button enabled.

I think it comes up with the + by default, so I hope that's what you got.

OhmyGod that's hilarious. The temps due to lava flow. LMAO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Priceless +1

At least I think I gave you +rep. The rep window pops up behind any embedded video so I couldn't see if it was the + or - rep radio button enabled.

I think it comes up with the + by default, so I hope that's what you got.
Thank you Sir..I nearly died of a heart attack when Godzilla made his presence..ROFL

Uh yeah.

I hope to god that's not a metaphor.
Your in the wrong thread...I think your confusing me with Anderson Cooper.. If I were you i would stay out of that thread...:coffee::Fart:

Back