Is the End near???

Part1 <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nYZtMwIPb4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object> Part2 <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D7iDb1_GcZc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object> Part 3<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rCcuEUTwzI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object> Part4 <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iCWt4HGzKkQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object> Part 5 <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqjpub-gqNo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Is there any greater sign of the apocalypse than Indianapolis hosting the SuperBowl in 2012? Enough said.

Is there any greater sign of the apocalypse than Indianapolis hosting the SuperBowl in 2012? Enough said.
If Indy somehow is playing that game and its a one sided refereeing affair infavor of the colts then I'll hand it to ya you maybe on to sumptin.:coffee:

I'm not upset about the doomsday thread, I'm just tired of hearing about the end of the world at every turn I take. Nothing we can do about it if it's upon us. Learning about it will also do no good in stopping it from happening if it's going to.

The name "Eboli" comes from the name of a small town in Italy from which I have descendants. However, most people guess I mean the virus so I go with that too.

I'm not upset about the doomsday thread, I'm just tired of hearing about the end of the world at every turn I take. Nothing we can do about it if it's upon us. Learning about it will also do no good in stopping it from happening if it's going to.

The name "Eboli" comes from the name of a small town in Italy from which I have descendants. However, most people guess I mean the virus so I go with that too.
Well I think we Americans can prevent World War Three and maybe a possible Nuke terrorist attack. Obviously certain Natural disasters are out of our hands,but I still find this stuff fascinating and think of the bright side of things and that is there isn't any...muahahaha LOL:suicide::fire:ROFL

We as Americans are powerless. If the people in charge of our country decide to start world war 3 we'll just be along for the ride. Spectators at best. Power to the People is an ideal long gone. If we "the people" had a say in anything we wouldn't be in Iraq right now.

We as Americans are powerless. If the people in charge of our country decide to start world war 3 we'll just be along for the ride. Spectators at best. Power to the People is an ideal long gone. If we "the people" had a say in anything we wouldn't be in Iraq right now.

and we wouldn't be bailing out Wall Street...

and we wouldn't be bailing out Wall Street...
And you thought I was doom and gloom..LOL
ROFL

Two of my friends debated this last week. I just listened because I don't remember what all is said in the bible about this topic. It got really interesting when my friend Matt asked my friend Susie, "What is the second coming?" LOL I knew the answer to that one. :evil:

, "What is the second coming?" LOL I knew the answer to that one. :evil:

If you give me a sandwich and a short break you might get a third and fourth:coffee:

These are the very real possible events I see that could happen.
A nuclear attack on London England During the opening ceremonies of the 2012 summer Olympics causing world war three..

If this was a missile attack by a country, just why would they target London?

If it is a terrorist attack, why would that lead to WWIII? The rest of the world would get together and bounce the rubble of any country thought to be responsible for it.

#2 Too much fresh water saturates the the oceans causing the gulf stream engine to fail putting us in a instant ice age.

First of all, regardless of the hype that has been bantered about, the polar ice cap is no about to disappear.

See here and here for two posts I made on that topic.

It turns out that the minimum ice pack size for 2008 was 9% larger than 2007.

The Arctic sea ice cover appears to have reached its minimum extent for the year, the second-lowest extent recorded since the dawn of the satellite era. While above the record minimum set on September 16, 2007, this year further reinforces the strong negative trend in summertime ice extent observed over the past thirty years. With the minimum behind us, we will continue to analyze ice conditions as we head into the crucial period of the ice growth season during the months to come.

Despite overall cooler summer temperatures, the 2008 minimum extent is only 390,000 square kilometers (150,000 square miles), or 9.4%, more than the record-setting 2007 minimum. The 2008 minimum extent is 15.0% less than the next-lowest minimum extent set in 2005 and 33.1% less than the average minimum extent from 1979 to 2000.

Also, I think you put too much faith into the so called "science" behind "The Day After Tomorrow".

The Gulf Stream is not the critical issue that moderates the climate of Western Europe, it is the fact that there is an ocean in the direction from which the prevailing winds blow.

Don't believe me?

What is the climate like in coastal British Columbia, Oregon and Washington? They are about as far north as the UK and France, and both are north of New England.

Their climate is far more moderate than ours.

What Pacific Ocean current sits off their coast? The California Current.

The movement of northern waters southward makes the coastal waters cooler than coastal areas of comparable latitude on the east coast of the United States. Additionally, extensive upwelling of colder sub-surface waters occurs, caused by the prevailing northwesterly winds acting through the Ekman Effect. The winds drive surface water to the right of the wind flow, that is offshore, which draws water up from below to replace it. The upwelling further cools the already cool California Current. This is the mechanism which produces coastal California's characteristic fog.

So how is it that those regions have such a moderate climate with all that cold water off shore?

For the simple reason that water has much more specific heat capacity than air and so there is a huge amount of heat, even in cold water.

Should the current system in the North Atlantic shut down, it will change the climate but there is no reason to think it will create an "instant ice age".

The super volcano in Yellowstone national park erupts. (please note the pressures are building now)

The USGS site for Yellowstone puts it at "green" status.

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW#1205-01-)
44.43°N 110.67°W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Aviation Color Code: GREEN

SEPTEMBER 2008 Yellowstone Seismicity Summary

During the month of September 2008, 62 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone region. The largest event was a magnitude 2.9 on September 25 at 12:07 PM MDT, located about 16 miles southeast of West Thumb, YNP, and near the southern caldera boundary. This event was part of a swarm of 19 events with magnitudes 0.9 - 2.9.

Earthquake activity in the Yellowstone region is at normal background levels.

Ground Deformation Summary: Through September 2008, continuous GPS data show that much of the Yellowstone caldera continued moving upward, though at a lower rate than the past several years. The maximum measured ground uplift over the past 50 months is ~21 cm at the White Lake GPS station. An example can be found at: http://pboweb.unavco.org/shared/scripts/stations/?checkkey=WLWY&sec=timeseries_plots&timeseries=raw

The general uplift of the Yellowstone caldera is scientifically interesting and will continue to be monitored closely by YVO staff.

An article on the current uplift episode at Yellowstone and discussion of long-term ground deformation at Yellowstone and elsewhere can be found at: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/2007/upsanddowns.html

Geologically speaking Yellowstone is "due" to erupt "soon", but that means anytime over a few thousand year period.

It is a question if when not if, but there is no reason to suggest that it is imminent from a humans perspective.

#5 Disease

Always a possibility, but a disease has to be both virulent and easily communicable (i.e., airborne) to pose such a risk.

It is quite possible that such a pathogen exists in some other species someplace and is just waiting for an opportunity to jump species and spread across the planet. Considering how small the planet has become and the fact that people have gone just about everywhere on the planet, it is unlikely that such an encounter has not already happened, if it were to.

Likewise is is quite possible that some pathogen could mutate and develop those characteristics. However, there is no reason that the odds of such a mutation occurring are any better for today, for tomorrow or for 10,000 years from now.

If it happens, it happens, but there is no reason to think it is any more or less likely in 2012.

#6 Asteroid( I'm not too worried about that one not until 2036 anyways)

Presumably you're referring to Apophis when you mention 2036.

That isn't the only thing out there, that they know of.

You should look at NASA's page on the topic or their Potentially Hazardous Object (PHA) portion at the Near Earth Object page.

Those are only the objects that have been detected and an orbital track established.

If you read through the rest of the NEO page, you'll see that they have a very limited search program going on and there are still thought to be plenty of objects that have not been detected. These searches all look for stable asteroids whose orbits cross that of the Earth and thus could potentially impact in the future.

That doesn't even count other potential hazards. These would include asteroids dislodged from an outer orbit that moved inwards as well as comets.

So as with the Yellowstone option it is a question of when not if, but there is no reason to think that such an event is more or less likely at any given time.

If this was a missile attack by a country, just why would they target London?

If it is a terrorist attack, why would that lead to WWIII? The rest of the world would get together and bounce the rubble of any country thought to be responsible for it.

First of all, regardless of the hype that has been bantered about, the polar ice cap is no about to disappear.

See here and here for two posts I made on that topic.

It turns out that the minimum ice pack size for 2008 was 9% larger than 2007.

Also, I think you put too much faith into the so called "science" behind "The Day After Tomorrow".

The Gulf Stream is not the critical issue that moderates the climate of Western Europe, it is the fact that there is an ocean in the direction from which the prevailing winds blow.

Don't believe me?

What is the climate like in coastal British Columbia, Oregon and Washington? They are about as far north as the UK and France, and both are north of New England.

Their climate is far more moderate than ours.

What Pacific Ocean current sits off their coast? The California Current.

So how is it that those regions have such a moderate climate with all that cold water off shore?

For the simple reason that water has much more specific heat capacity than air and so there is a huge amount of heat, even in cold water.

Should the current system in the North Atlantic shut down, it will change the climate but there is no reason to think it will create an "instant ice age".

The USGS site for Yellowstone puts it at "green" status.

Geologically speaking Yellowstone is "due" to erupt "soon", but that means anytime over a few thousand year period.

It is a question if when not if, but there is no reason to suggest that it is imminent from a humans perspective.

Always a possibility, but a disease has to be both virulent and easily communicable (i.e., airborne) to pose such a risk.

It is quite possible that such a pathogen exists in some other species someplace and is just waiting for an opportunity to jump species and spread across the planet. Considering how small the planet has become and the fact that people have gone just about everywhere on the planet, it is unlikely that such an encounter has not already happened, if it were to.

Likewise is is quite possible that some pathogen could mutate and develop those characteristics. However, there is no reason that the odds of such a mutation occurring are any better for today, for tomorrow or for 10,000 years from now.

If it happens, it happens, but there is no reason to think it is any more or less likely in 2012.

Presumably you're referring to Apophis when you mention 2036.

That isn't the only thing out there, that they know of.

You should look at NASA's page on the topic or their Potentially Hazardous Object (PHA) portion at the Near Earth Object page.

Those are only the objects that have been detected and an orbital track established.

If you read through the rest of the NEO page, you'll see that they have a very limited search program going on and there are still thought to be plenty of objects that have not been detected. These searches all look for stable asteroids whose orbits cross that of the Earth and thus could potentially impact in the future.

That doesn't even count other potential hazards. These would include asteroids dislodged from an outer orbit that moved inwards as well as comets.

So as with the Yellowstone option it is a question of when not if, but there is no reason to think that such an event is more or less likely at any given time.
The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics will probably have the President of the United states in attendance along with many other countries delegates. England is hated in the Muslim Radical world and would love to wipe out a whole bunch of political targets in one fell swoop. I also think it would be a suitcase size weapon not a missile. Keep in mind I'm just trying to be theoretical. Will that be the reason for world war three to break out? Probably not,however according to that documentary doomsday 2012 Great Britain maybe subject to an attack.

Yellowstone erupts every 200,000 years and the last eruption was 200,000 years ago.There has been 3 recorded eruptions of Yellowstone.

I do not put much faith in Day after Tomorrow. That movie cracks me up period. What I mean by instant ice age is by having a sudden climate change that is bad enough to ruins any chance to have normal harvests causing massive chaos and sudden die offs.

Asteroids aren't really much of a concern for me period because if we get hit by one of those suckers we wont suffer much..

Now finally what would happen if we have a sudden polar shift? Would we all die instantly or would we just have a massive die off?

The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics will probably have the President of the United states in attendance along with many other countries delegates. England is hated in the Muslim Radical world and would love to wipe out a whole bunch of political targets in one fell swoop. I also think it would be a suitcase size weapon not a missile. Keep in mind I'm just trying to be theoretical. Will that be the reason for world war three to break out? Probably not,however according to that documentary doomsday 2012 Great Britain maybe subject to an attack.

OK, suitcase nuke = terrorist attack from my POV.

Again if that happens, I don't see how that becomes WWIII, at least in the same sense that WWI and WWII were.

Yes, I can see there being a war involving most of the world, but it would be the industrialized world against who ever is thought to be the ones who helped the terrorists, or didn't act strongly enough to stomp on any groups in their own country.

I don't see that resulting in the end of the world.

It may result in significant economic and social disruptions, but not the end.

Yellowstone erupts every 200,000 years and the last eruption was 200,000 years ago.There has been 3 recorded eruptions of Yellowstone.

That's what I was alluding to when I said it was "due" from a geological perspective.

But one must recall that "every 200,000 years" still includes a few thousand year tolerance. So if it erupts 3,000 years from now it would still fit the "every 200,000 year" time frame, but isn't something that would effect you and me.

I do not put much faith in Day after Tomorrow. That movie cracks me up period. What I mean by instant ice age is by having a sudden climate change that is bad enough to ruins any chance to have normal harvests causing massive chaos and sudden die offs.

Well if a rapid event is your concern, I'd suggest a large volcanic eruption such as what Tambora did in 1815.

However, you may want to consider the various predictions about the Solar cycles. Here's one paper about solar cycle 24 and 25 that says they will be as low as what was experienced during the coldest part of the Little Ice Age.

NASA is predicting solar cycle 25 as being one of the weakest in centuries.

Asteroids aren't really much of a concern for me period because if we get hit by one of those suckers we wont suffer much..

That depends on how big it is and where it hits.

If it's big enough, yeah it could be a planet killer. If it's smaller, it could just ruin your whole day.

Also, if it was small enough and landed in the wrong spot it might be thought to be a nuke attack by someone.

The Tunguska impact is estimated to be between 5 and 30 megatons.

If such an event were to occur, and no tracking data showed that it was a comet or asteroid, what would the country hit by it think?

They would assume they got hit by a nuke and may respond based on that assumption.

Now finally what would happen if we have a sudden polar shift? Would we all die instantly or would we just have a massive die off?

Sudden polar shift?

Are you referring to the magnetic pole?

If yes, then that's a big unknown. It's unknown because it isn't understood exactly what occurs when the magnetic field shifts polarity.

If the Earth were to completely lose her magnetic field, then radiation levels would certainly increase on the planet.

Does the field completely disappear during a shift? Nobody knows, however, since the field has shifted multiple times in Earth's history and AFAIK, no one has correlated any mass extinction events with these field shifts. This would suggest that how ever the magnetic polarity shifts it doesn't do so in a way that is catastrophic to most life.

Of course, the lack of a magnetic field may play havoc with our technology since we would be far more vulnerable to solar flares.

If you're referring to Richard Noone's idea of "Polar shift", then you should take a deep breath and relax. His "5/5/200 Ice: The Ultimate Disaster" has got to be one of the funniest books I've ever read.

It is chock full of pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.

Consider the following.

This excerpt discusses the phone number of the head Masonic temple in Washington D.C. It states:

“... if one called long distance information and asked for the telephone number of the Supreme Council of the temple they might be told: ‘Someone, Sirius, detached from the hive economy via internal biochemical auto-experiments should know the first two numbers are 2 and 3, which form the numbers 23’. those who understand Maya mathematics or those who understand the I Ching’s trigrams have already solved, by trans-time signalry between members of a divine effort, that the third and fourth numbers of the supreme Council’s telephone number would also be 2 and 3, which again form the number 23. Chance? The name Scottish Rite Freemasonry has 23 letters. Coincidence? The ‘lucky coincidences’ or syncronicities - as they are called in Jungian psychology - of the number 23 Wilson believes guided him to ‘a network of adepts that extend far beyond our Earth,’ which he connects with the enigma star Sirius. Wilson writes: ‘I definitely experienced impressions which I thought were communications from Sirius’ - a somewhat ambiguous statement, since those who know, know.”

OK, suitcase nuke = terrorist attack from my POV.

Again if that happens, I don't see how that becomes WWIII, at least in the same sense that WWI and WWII were.

Yes, I can see there being a war involving most of the world, but it would be the industrialized world against who ever is thought to be the ones who helped the terrorists, or didn't act strongly enough to stomp on any groups in their own country.

I don't see that resulting in the end of the world.

It may result in significant economic and social disruptions, but not the end.

That's what I was alluding to when I said it was "due" from a geological perspective.

But one must recall that "every 200,000 years" still includes a few thousand year tolerance. So if it erupts 3,000 years from now it would still fit the "every 200,000 year" time frame, but isn't something that would effect you and me.

Well if a rapid event is your concern, I'd suggest a large volcanic eruption such as what Tambora did in 1815.

However, you may want to consider the various predictions about the Solar cycles. Here's one paper about solar cycle 24 and 25 that says they will be as low as what was experienced during the coldest part of the Little Ice Age.

NASA is predicting solar cycle 25 as being one of the weakest in centuries.

That depends on how big it is and where it hits.

If it's big enough, yeah it could be a planet killer. If it's smaller, it could just ruin your whole day.

Also, if it was small enough and landed in the wrong spot it might be thought to be a nuke attack by someone.

The Tunguska impact is estimated to be between 5 and 30 megatons.

If such an event were to occur, and no tracking data showed that it was a comet or asteroid, what would the country hit by it think?

They would assume they got hit by a nuke and may respond based on that assumption.

Sudden polar shift?

Are you referring to the magnetic pole?

If yes, then that's a big unknown. It's unknown because it isn't understood exactly what occurs when the magnetic field shifts polarity.

If the Earth were to completely lose her magnetic field, then radiation levels would certainly increase on the planet.

Does the field completely disappear during a shift? Nobody knows, however, since the field has shifted multiple times in Earth's history and AFAIK, no one has correlated any mass extinction events with these field shifts. This would suggest that how ever the magnetic polarity shifts it doesn't do so in a way that is catastrophic to most life.

Of course, the lack of a magnetic field may play havoc with our technology since we would be far more vulnerable to solar flares.

If you're referring to Richard Noone's idea of "Polar shift", then you should take a deep breath and relax. His "5/5/200 Ice: The Ultimate Disaster" has got to be one of the funniest books I've ever read.

It is chock full of pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.

Consider the following.

This excerpt discusses the phone number of the head Masonic temple in Washington D.C. It states:
Well seeing as how it is Nov 13 2000, 6 months after d-day, I think its safe to say this book is a crock. The premise of this book is that on May 5, 2000 a huge iceberg or ice cap is going to explode and we will all die....Im waiting and Im not holding my breath, are you? <-----Thats what one of the book reviews on amazon.com said! too funny!

Jeez I thought "the rapture" was when the Jets won the Super Bowl??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHPikUPlRD8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHPikUPlRD8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I saw an show on the Discovery Channel similar to this. They also included obscure, but possible events such as Gamma Ray Burst, Super Nova of the sun, encounter with a black hole and a few others. Their likely scenarios were nuclear warfare, pandemic, and global climate change. Interesting stuff, but I'd much rather worry about the Patriots.

Well seeing as how it is Nov 13 2000, 6 months after d-day, I think its safe to say this book is a crock. The premise of this book is that on May 5, 2000 a huge iceberg or ice cap is going to explode and we will all die....Im waiting and Im not holding my breath, are you? <-----Thats what one of the book reviews on amazon.com said! too funny!

Oh his idea was even funnier.

He claimed that the weight of the ice at the poles would produce a "pole shift" and the entire crust of the Earth would shift over the inner portions in one single mass.

I swear his analysis of why this would happen is that he saw someone put a weight on a globe at the pole and saw the whole globe shift and went "Ah Ha!".

Some of the best parts in the book is his suggestion that this happened 5,000 odd years agoand that the pyramids were built by the survivors of the high tech civilization that existed prior to that "polar shift".

Supposedly they encoded information in the pyramid that would tell you not only when this disaster would occur again, but where the "pivot points" would be. If you were standing near these pivot points the relative motion would be minimal and thus you would survive.

My brother-in-law gave me the book to read in the mid 90's since he wanted to know what I thought about it. I don't think I ever laughed so hard reading a book.

Yesterday on Discovery channel was end of the world days... I recorded a few of them and I found these shows entertaining. Of all the bad things that could happen I still rank a nuclear war #1 and #2 the Yellowstone super volcano erupting... Did ya know we only have 15 minutes to decided if a accidental missile attack was real an accident? Also in my earlier posts I said Yellowstone erupted ever 200k years and I was well off that me 500k... It is however 40,000 years over due for another eruption.. There seem to be a lot of activity over that way,but the scientists have insisted so far there is nothing to be alarmed about... I tend to agree with them at this point,but if that MOFO suddenly erupts without notice we are all fvcked big time...

Back