It's time to get the pressure off Brady; shore up the running game to make it lethal

Steve1

Reaction score
Like when Brady had Dillon in '04, or Elway having Davis is his latter years as qarterback. It's just something I think will extend the Pat's chances of winning the championship in the next couple of seasons.

Brady's getting older. He'll be more vulnerable to injury. He still has the capacity to carry the team now and then, but I think the offense needs a drastic change in strategy, to keep him on the field. I mean, he's not old, like 37 or 38 for a quarterback, but he'll be 35 next season, right?

With Gronk, a 'run-first' offense (I know you'd need a stud runningback for that), and a deep threat, I think the Patriots would do okay on offense, and keep Brady upright, as I say, going forward. And they will still have Hernandez, too. Their defense is improving, finally, so they probably won't need to score as many points anyway, next year, to stay in the hunt.

Now, maybe Ridley's the guy, a 'bell-cow' runningback. Or maybe there's a free agent runningback, or one available in a trade, that can be that guy. I haven't looked at any possibilities. Now, as much as Benny has given us the last few years, I hope they pick up a stud runningback. It hasn't been much of an issue the last few seasons, what with Brady in his prime, but looking to the future, I think he has left his prime.

He's still a winner, but the time has come to give him a powerful running game. IMHO

Like when Brady had Dillon in '04, or Elway having Davis is his latter years as qarterback. It's just something I think will extend the Pat's chances of winning the championship in the next couple of seasons.

Brady's getting older. He'll be more vulnerable to injury. He still has the capacity to carry the team now and then, but I think the offense needs a drastic change in strategy, to keep him on the field. I mean, he's not old, like 37 or 38 for a quarterback, but he'll be 35 next season, right?

With Gronk, a 'run-first' offense (I know you'd need a stud runningback for that), and a deep threat, I think the Patriots would do okay on offense, and keep Brady upright, as I say, going forward. And they will still have Hernandez, too. Their defense is improving, finally, so they probably won't need to score as many points anyway, next year, to stay in the hunt.

Now, maybe Ridley's the guy, a 'bell-cow' runningback. Or maybe there's a free agent runningback, or one available in a trade, that can be that guy. I haven't looked at any possibilities. Now, as much as Benny has given us the last few years, I hope they pick up a stud runningback. It hasn't been much of an issue the last few seasons, what with Brady in his prime, but looking to the future, I think he has left his prime.

He's still a winner, but the time has come to give him a powerful running game. IMHO

The more this team tries to get "balanced" with a better running attack and a good (great may be too much to ask for anytime soon) defense the better off they'll be.

While I aggre with the sentiment about a power rushing team.

The rules have changed.

It's a passing,defend the pass league now.

If your able to do one of those things, you've got a chance to be in the tournament.

If you can't do either....
Then April 26th-28th 2012 expect to see you early :coffee:

RB and WR are 2 positions I'd like to see the Patriots address through FA. DRAFT DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about this. Their biggest need is secondary help, which they haven't been good at all in drafting (unless they figure out how to get McCourty fixed). I'd also like to see them get another big time d-lineman.

I don't know about this. Their biggest need is secondary help, which they haven't been good at all in drafting (unless they figure out how to get McCourty fixed). I'd also like to see them get another big time d-lineman.

With Ras-I, do you really want to go with another corner? YOu have Arrington, McCourty, Ras-I, and the emergance of Moore. I know safety, but corner?

I meant safety, SPEED edge rusher DE, and OLB when I typed DRAFT DEFENSE. Unless somebody REALLY blows away BB at corner, I think they could get by with what they have and maybe a veteran FA.

I agree. I havnt been thrilled with the secondary this season. I have hopes for Moore and having McCourty at safety seems like an improvement. But I havnt seen enuff of Ras-I to make a assesment. It's defly an area needing upgrades and depth. I cant count how many times I've screamed at my TV cuz of bad coverage.

I want MOFO pass rushers up the ass...I would be happy if we drafted nothing but pass rushers in the next draft... Heck sign 20 pass rushing free agents while they are at it...:coffee:

I don't think we need improvements in the running game as I think we have a solid group in Woodhead/BJGE/Ridley, and Vereen if he is ever healthy enough to be used. CB would make sense for depth reasons. McCourty, Arrington and Dowling seem like a good trio with Sterling Moore and Molden backing him...drafting a CB in the draft to go behind those 3 will be better IMO and will improve the secondary while providing some needed depth.

Also in favor of getting an S in FA as we really need someone who knows what they are doing back there. I'm also in favor of getting a DL or OLB that can start trouble and havoc.

I don't think we need improvements in the running game as I think we have a solid group in Woodhead/BJGE/Ridley, and Vereen if he is ever healthy enough to be used. CB would make sense for depth reasons. McCourty, Arrington and Dowling seem like a good trio with Sterling Moore and Molden backing him...drafting a CB in the draft to go behind those 3 will be better IMO and will improve the secondary while providing some needed depth.

Also in favor of getting an S in FA as we really need someone who knows what they are doing back there. I'm also in favor of getting a DL or OLB that can start trouble and havoc.

Yeah, I like law firm, he simply does not fumble and gets + yards most of the time, always moving forward unlike Maroney.

Wouldnt mind getting another Bigger stronger back though, for the most part our core is small and light, we could use a Jacobs type to compliment it.

I agree. I don't think we need like Adiran Peterson or Ray Rice or anything crazy like that, but I'd like to see us have a nice solid running game that could be used for clock management, taking the pressure off Brady and the WR corp. Not to mention the OLine. I think Lawfirm could be a solid #2 in this arrangement.

Up until the Superbowl, I was saying to anyone who would listen that we needed moar safeties, but apparently Tommy was the only guy paying attention. :sulk:

I'd like to see someone that can push Cunningham at OLB a bit and allow us to move Ninko to weak side where I think he's more adept both in coverage and pass rushing. I'm fine with the DL/DE's as they are, with Pryor coming back, possibly Wright coming back, and Brace healthy, along with Love, Deaderick, Warren, Carter, and maybe Ellis at a reduced number, we could still be very good on the line. Sadly I'm assuming that since I think we're stocked at DL and OT, we'll probably draft both and ignore OLB, S, and C. Throw a late round TE or two in for added fun.

If we want to improve the running game, I think we need to look at OL, not RB's.

Light and Waters have one or two seasons left in them (assuming Waters doesn't retire). Since Volmer had back issues in college, I don't know if we can count on him staying healthy.

There were some people here who wanted to replace Koppen before the season started.

So that leaves Solder and Mankins as the only ones we can really rely on going down the road.

Considering the fact that it takes a year or two to coach up a kid, we need to keep that pipeline filled with bodies for Scar to work his magic on.

After all, the reason Denver has so many successful RB's in the late 90's wasn't that they were so good at finding gems in the 6th round. It was because their OL would open holes for them.

If we beef up the OL, we not only improve the running game, but the passing game. If we get more guys who can handle an elite D lineman one-on-one, then we can neutralize the "blueprint" for defeating TFB.

If we want to improve the running game, I think we need to look at OL, not RB's.

Light and Waters have one or two seasons left in them (assuming Waters doesn't retire). Since Volmer had back issues in college, I don't know if we can count on him staying healthy.

There were some people here who wanted to replace Koppen before the season started.

So that leaves Solder and Mankins as the only ones we can really rely on going down the road.

Considering the fact that it takes a year or two to coach up a kid, we need to keep that pipeline filled with bodies for Scar to work his magic on.

After all, the reason Denver has so many successful RB's in the late 90's wasn't that they were so good at finding gems in the 6th round. It was because their OL would open holes for them.

If we beef up the OL, we not only improve the running game, but the passing game. If we get more guys who can handle an elite D lineman one-on-one, then we can neutralize the "blueprint" for defeating TFB.

cannon looked promising and connolly was at least not getting shoved back into brady like koppen was....

but rb is still weak....law firm is a jag who does not fumble and never gets to the second level....ridley shows some promise but its still incomplete as yet....vereen who knows...?

have said it before.....find brady's terell davis.....it the largest weakness on O....much much more important that who the 4th pass catcher is....

the O needs an attitude adjustment....running the ball is as much about want to and reps as it is talent....

i have thought for a long time that this O(coaches and players) are way to reliant on Brady....(marino syndrome)

cannon looked promising and connolly was at least not getting shoved back into brady like koppen was....

but rb is still weak....law firm is a jag who does not fumble and never gets to the second level....ridley shows some promise but its still incomplete as yet....vereen who knows...?

have said it before.....find brady's terell davis.....it the largest weakness on O....much much more important that who the 4th pass catcher is....

the O needs an attitude adjustment....running the ball is as much about want to and reps as it is talent....

i have thought for a long time that this O(coaches and players) are way to reliant on Brady....(marino syndrome)

I'm not going to say that BGE is a JAG simply because he doesn't have all the tools to be a feature back. What he does have, he optimizes very well. And he DOES get to (and sometimes through) the LBs up the middle often enough. Not so much in 2011 after Koppen went out and the Pats were rotating the #2, #3 and #4 centers through - run-blocking up the middle was confused a lot until Connolly got back to full health (and improved his blocking). However, BGE, like Terrell Davis did, would find it much tougher going without a very good run-blocking OL. I certainly hope that Ridley and Vereen are good enough to take full advantage of their opportunity here.

As far as the coaches "being too reliant on Brady" (I'm guessing you mean Brady's arm), I'd bet that nearly every set of plays that he reads off his wrist-band for personnel groups that include an RB (or Ahern, for that matter) features at least one running option. If the Pats DON'T run in a particular situation, it's likely because Brady has elected to check out of the run option (or not check into a run) at the LoS. I'm sure sometimes his pre-snap read shows that a run simply won't work. But I'm sure that other times, he checks out because he feels a pass is likely to be more successful. He seems to feel that way quite often. In any case, Brady has the last word.

last few seasons...going back to 07....how often have you seen the pats on 2nd and 2/3rd and 2 line up and pound the football.....?

how often in the same situations have they gone shotgun/empty backfield.........?

that says to me that there is a definite lack of want to/or trust on the coaching staff not just brady choosing pass........

running is a mindset and there is enough talent on this OL to get it done if they(coaches/players) want to......

talent at rb is another issue though....

lawfirm is just not that good, he only stands out because his is the anti-maroney.......ridley and vereen are still unknowns

I like Ridley, but with regard to this thread...DO WANT

jonathan_stewart_of_carolina-332.jpg

Back