Jabaal Sheard

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
Patriots hosting Jabaal Sheard on Tuesday night

Posted by Josh Alper on March 10, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Cleveland Browns v Cincinnati Bengals
Getty Images
The Patriots will visit with a potential addition to their front seven on Tuesday night.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that defensive end/outside linebacker Jabaal Sheard will be in New England to discuss a potential working relationship.

Sheard, PFT’s No. 34 free agent, has seen time at both end and linebacker during his four years with the Browns as the team has cycled through different defensive schemes during their almost annual overhauls of the coaching staff. That versatility would make him a good fit on a Patriots front that can utilize players like Chandler Jones, Dont’a Hightower and Rob Ninkovich in different ways to stymie offenses.

The fact that the 2011 second-round pick racked up 23 sacks over that period probably doesn’t hurt either and it will likely mean another visit in fairly short order if he leaves the Super Bowl champs without a contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/patriots-hosting-jabaal-sheard-on-tuesday-night/

Sheard might be a good signing. But I'd lock up Ayers first. We knew he worked in the system. I thought he made some important plays at key times for us.

I'm already on rec thinking Sheard would be a great pick up for us to give Nink some rest. He's much better than Ayers at setting the edge.

I'm already on rec thinking Sheard would be a great pick up for us to give Nink some rest. He's much better than Ayers at setting the edge.

This x 1000. A lot of people here would like what Sheard brings to the table. I don't think Ayers will be a problem to lock up for cheap, but Sheard would be wonderful in situations where Nink needs a rest or has one of his disappearing acts.

This x 1000. A lot of people here would like what Sheard brings to the table. I don't think Ayers will be a problem to lock up for cheap, but Sheard would be wonderful in situations where Nink needs a rest or has one of his disappearing acts.

Yeah, give me him and Ayers (and maybe send Mayo on his merry way), and I'm good at LB.

I think Mayo safe now. Pats fans are already flipping out thanks to Wilfork, Revis & Browner. I probably restructure his contract. I do agree ayres need to be resign to add depht .

Breakdown:
@RavensInsider: Jabaal Sheard Patriots two-year deal, $11 million, $4 million bonus, salaries $1 million, $4 million; roster bonuses $1 million, $1 million

So, this guy can "rush the passer"?

Or have we changed our tune to

"Can he cover a WR?"​

Glad to hear they signed someone on the defensive side of the ball. Now they need a big man up front to help stop the run.

So, can I plan my super bowl itinerary again?

I like this signing. They finally have someone to give Nink plays off. Moore & Buchanan have struggled since being drafted.

Well he had 2 sacks last year. Maybe he can be like a poor man's Akeem Ayers for a lot more money.

Patriots liked this guy in the 2011 draft. Seems a good signing.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good signing. They also liked Tavon Wilson, Jermaine Cunningham, Jake Bequette, Duron Harmon, Shawn Crable.

Just seems like a lot of money for a good who's declining every year since he was a rookie.

Signed. Two yrs. $11 mil/5.5 guaranteed.

I love this signing. He's got a non-stop motor and a multitude of moves & counter moves to make the QB get off his spot. He had poor coaching in Cleveland and he was miscast as an OLB the last 2 years but he improved his LB & edge skills and ended last year as the 2nd best edge player vs the run in 2014 acc to PFF. As a DE he made the All Rookie Team in 2011.

Sheard had a combined 110 tackles and 15.5 sacks in a 4-3 scheme in his first 3 years . He made the switch to outside linebacker the following year and recorded 80 tackles and 7.5 sacks the past two seasons.
Sheard has graded well with PFF each of the past two seasons, finishing among the top-16 outside linebackers in the 3-4 alignment. He received the second-highest, run-defense ranking for a 3-4 outside linebacker last season on a team that finished dead last against the run. He's versatile and he's entering his prime years. He'll do!

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5zpYrRPj5G4?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

I like...sheard is more 4-3 de, and ayers is more 4-3 olb. I'd like to see ayers locked up too, we still need front 7 depth

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Well he had 2 sacks last year. Maybe he can be like a poor man's Akeem Ayers for a lot more money.

Read my post above.

They are different players with different skill sets.
Ayers is best suited as a 3rd down pass rusher/OLB in the 4/3.
Sheard is best suited as a 1st and 2nd down run stopper on the edge in a 4/3 alignment but he's also very good as a 3/4 OLB. He wasn't asked by the Browns to rush the passer; he was asked to stop the run and he did that extremely well.

Back