Jets Ready To Break The Bank On Flowers

A month ago I would have said Gronk is gone. After his last few games I'm undecided. He's been a beast. He could have a great SB game and decide to come back on a lesser contract - not vet minimum - but something in the $5M-$6M range, including incentives. We'll see.

A month ago I would have said Gronk is gone. After his last few games I'm undecided. He's been a beast. He could have a great SB game and decide to come back on a lesser contract - not vet minimum - but something in the $5M-$6M range, including incentives. We'll see.

His blocking has been great, as usual. But he’s no longer an impact receiving threat like in years past. He seems more plodding. And they’re stubbornly sticking to the routes and play designs of when he was the explosive impact receiving guy. They should morph his plays into more of an 8-12 yd possession move the chains guy. He still has very good hands and the phenomenal catch radius. There’s no reason he couldn’t turn into TBs Ben Coates.

What are the chances of the franchise tag? Not sure what the number is, but it would give them leverage.

$16,000,000 is the tag for Flowers. Patriots have $21,000,000+ in cap space right now. Have to do some restructuring and maybe a cut 1 or 2. If Gronk does retire, and I hope he does not, it will add about $9,000,000 to the cap. But if they cut
the Allen, that would add $7,000,000 to the cap.
But T. Brown is the most important right now. Got to protect the GOAT.
This years draft class deep in DL/DE.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-england-patriots/

I suspect Gronk does walk after the SB if they win, and possibly either way. I hate to see him go but for his sake, if he can go out on top, he probably should. his body has been thru a lot... can't blame the guy... he had a career doing just about anything with his big goofy personality.

As for Brown, true on the contract year concerns but being around Brady and the Pats organization may be enough to keep him focused and interested.

With Wynn waiting in the wings I see Brown unfortunately taking a huge deal elsewhere. That said, Flowers needs stay a Patriot badly.

This is what I'm thinking.
They won't break the bank on Brown when they have Wynn returning.
Flowers need to stay, but I don't think he will.

Back