Just one Athol's opinion on the 2009 season

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Here's what I know: ;)

1) The outcome and the fallout from the outcome of the Saints game is overrated. What happens this upcoming weekend against Miami looms far larger as far as how the Pats playoff run will be decided. They can all but secure the division this Sunday, and with the Fins without their best offensive player and having all-but-given-up-the-ghost to the Bills two days ago, the Pats have their foot on the neck of the AFC East....it's choke out time.

With only 3 AFC losses, the Pats also aren't in all that bad shape as far as securing the coveted Wild Card weekend BYE either: there are 5 weeks remaining with 5 very beatable opponents. They just need to take care of business, and we all know the Pats recent record in December. Give me five straight convincing victories going into the postseason and I couldn't give a rat's patoot about what happened last night.

2) The Pats are immature on defense. Seau may not see another snap of action this season, and he was still worth signing. We've heard it from the younger players recently as to his importance in the locker room; and now we've heard it from the vets (TBC, Bodden, Wilfork) and even the coach himself today. The bickering on the sidelines last night amongst the D was embarrassing....

3) which leads me to the Vrabel decision. Couldn't Vrabel have given the Pats more than Burgess or Thomas? Couldn't he have taken Seau's roster spot? That he was a "throw in" to the Cassel trade never sat well with me, and even more so now. Unless proven wrong, I'll go to my grave thinking this wasn't a "football only" decision. Was he worth the money? :shrug: Sometimes you gotta pay for continuity and leadership.

4) Wilfork is the defensive MVP, but I'm not sure any player has had as much impact when he's been on the field as TBC. (You could've knocked me over with a feather 6 months ago if I could ever had considered typing that.) I hope he doesn't get tested for PEDs (half joking) because I'm not sure I've ever seen a player whom I've completely written off turn things around 180 degrees. He's a man on a mission, and he's making big plays, and you notice when he's not in the game. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level. There, I said it: Tully Banta Cain is playing at a freakin' Pro Bowl level. Go figure. :huh:

5) Meriweather and McGowan take too many chances. They are not complementary and simply do not have the experience like a Harrison to gamble the way they do without it coming back to haunt the Pats in big games. I assume they'll both get better about understanding their limits with time, but for the playoff stretch I'd like to see a little more of my man, James Sanders' steadying hand, particularly on passing downs (maybe all 3 on the field at once even).

6) My other thoughts on the D? Wilhite, given time, will turn out to be a very good nickel corner if not better. Butler has all the goods to eventually be a very good starting corner. Bodden is the #1 improvement on the D since last year, and is the primary reason the Pats even try to blitz versus last season. Mayo and Guyton are wearing down from too much PT and probably, practice time. A Thomas is simply not the player he was a year ago, and I haven't the foggiest notion why. Burgess leads the team in QB pressures but has simply lost a step from when he was a premier pass rusher. Woods is a run-stopping OLB only, and that's simply not good enough. Warren and Green cannot get any pressure on the QB and Wright and Pryor can't stop the run - perfect. Richard Seymour, FWIW, could do both, but I'd still trade him to Oakland in a heartbeat for a pirate's treasure.

What I see is a defense in transition: some parts 3-4, some 4-3. I assume BB's got a plan, but I haven't a semblance of a clue as to what it is. Madden used to say that when you've got a lot of something, then you've got nothing, and that's kind of how I view this year's D to-date. Hopefully, that'll change and we'll see what the Master Chef Hoodie has cooked up to serve us that'll be at least palatable come playoff time (more Wolfgang Puck and less hockey puck for the taste buds). If anyone can get this D to mesh in the next 5 weeks, we've got him on our sidelines.

7) BB has made a career out of taking away an offense's top 2 weapons. Well, guess what? The Saints drew the blueplan for doing the same to the Pats with Earthwind Moreland personnel. Man coverage with FS over the top on Moss and man coverage shaded outside with SS help inside on Welker; play "get the QB" (similar to what the Giants did in TGTSNBM) with your 3 or 4 d-lineman, with an occasional blitz or overload inside. Be prepared to see this, A LOT, until Brady shows confidence in his other receivers, or BB commits to operating under center and making defenses honor the run.

8) The Pats MUST run an out and up with Moss from 4th and short from midfield before the season is over. They've become much too predictable with the quick outs on must-have conversions longer than 2 yards. This is a 50-yard TD waiting to happen.

9) Brady on the sidelines with 5 minutes remaining reminded me of a Roberto Duran "No mas" moment. I understand the decision, but I didn't like it. It would've taken a minor miracle for the Pats to pull off the upset at that point, but I don't understand the reasoning behind pulling him there, but leaving him in games up 4 TDs in 2nd half. WTF?

10) Maroney read his blocks against the Saints better than I think I've ever seen him do before. That's promising. I still question his vision though, but he has made huge improvements on his pad level this season. He's really finishing his runs and is obviously confident his shoulder's healthy. He also made Vilma look like a pee wee baller last night on one play where LM was dead-to-rights. Unless he completely falls apart, the Pats need to ride him in December and forget this running-back-by-committee strategy as they approach the playoffs.

10) Thoughts on the rest of the O? Watson and Baker are who we thought they were: one is slightly better than average in the passing game, but a below average blocker, and vice versa - give them Wonder Twin powers and you'd have one pretty good TE. For the Edelman lovers: the Pats need an outside guy, not another slot receiver (but still, what a great find). Aiken reminds me a lot of a young Givens. Neal was having the best year of any of the offensive linemen: they need him back healthy badly. Light has lost his job: Vollmer looks extremely promising. Mankins is playing better of late, which is a major reason why Maroney looks better. Koppen still gets beaten badly once a game in pass protection, but is overall ok. Kaczur is serviceable until he faces a good pash rusher. Morris takes BJGE's spot on the gameday roster and is an instant upgrade. How Taylor fits in when he eventually gets back is anyone's guess.

11) Special teams are ho-hum. Hanson's an enigma, although punting better as of late. Ghost is pretty darn good despite missing a few kicks. Coverage has been decent, but I wish they could find a better kick returner (Slater just isn't "doing it" for me.) Butler? Wheatley? Hobbs? j/k :)

12) Now for the prickliest of subjects: coaching. It's 2006 redux. BB's doing too much. The effects of losing coordinator after coordinator, and more and more talent at the junior levels every year, is simply taking it's toll. It's showing up on the field on Sundays and there's simple no deflecting it anymore: the Pats are getting outcoached more than ever before. Weis? Crennel? I don't know, but I sure wouldn't be against it if BB brought them in...in the offseason. Too late for official coaching changes in 2009 - the Pats will have to dance with the dates that brung'em.

All that, and I didn't even mention Giselle's husband once. He's the least of my worries. The Pats need to establish some momentum, keep their starters healthy, and show what they've been working towards on defense this whole season. They've got 5 weeks to do it. If they can pull it off, they'll be a tough out. If not, I hope there's no new CBA, because the '10 team might have some serious turnover if the two sides reach an agreement ... and our boy wonder isn't getting any younger.

B e l i c h e a t

There are a few people who post must reads on the foozball, you are one of them. I learn a lot and always respect your opinions and you sure as shit no more than me. Having said that.

1) Dont mess with Edelman.:shake:

2) Wilhite??? Really? Wilhite? WTF? Have you lost your mind?

3) I agree about Slater. I was real high on the kid last year but was perplexed at seeing him so much last night.:shrug:

4) Kazcur needs to get back on the Oxy or sumfin.:shake:

Very nice synopsis WA. Even for being so lengthy, well worth the read. I agree with most of your points.

A couple points you bring up that really bring it home for me.

1) The potential that the Saints put a blueprint out there for how the Pats O will be played the rest of the year. But I also wonder how many teams have the personnel to do it. Castoff CB's aside for the Saints, Sharper is one helluva DB. And as you said, the schedule makers were kind to the Pats the rest of the way. The upcoming Miami game is key. They win this one and the division is all but locked up. Lose and I think the wheels may start to come off the bus a bit.

2) You may have struck gold with your comment about BB doing "too much". He looks tired to me. I'm sure he's putting in a crapload of hours and games like last night......well we all know how much our QB and HC despise losing.

I'm not a huge fan of bringing Weis back....RAC absolutely. But I will say this.....if QB 1 were to step up and give his vote for bringing Weis back, then I'd be on that bandwagon in a heartbeat.

2) Wilhite??? Really? Wilhite? WTF? Have you lost your mind?
Yep, the kid had a rough night last night, but nothing to the Safeties.

3) I agree about Slater. I was real high on the kid last year but was perplexed at seeing him so much last night.:shrug:
He went down from arm tackles, totally unacceptable.

4) Kazcur needs to get back on the Oxy or sumfin.:shake:
I dunno why people get on him so much, it sure looked like there was more trouble coming up the middle then around RT.

I'd think the difference between taking Brady out up 4 TDs, vs. last night would be the fear of him getting killed.. where a game where he's up by so much, they might not be getting the same kind of pressure on him.. The rotating o-line thing.. great post btw.

Vrabel was a shell of his former self. Very few impact plays of recent.

Now granted, Burgess doesn't impress me at all either, and the #3 and #5 would be much nicer, considering he'll probably have a steep uphill battle for a roster spot next season.

1) The outcome and the fallout from the outcome of the Saints game is overrated. What happens this upcoming weekend against Miami looms far larger as far as how the Pats playoff run will be decided. They can all but secure the division this Sunday, and with the Fins without their best offensive player and having all-but-given-up-the-ghost to the Bills two days ago, the Pats have their foot on the neck of the AFC East....it's choke out time.

With only 3 AFC losses, the Pats also aren't in all that bad shape as far as securing the coveted Wild Card weekend BYE either: there are 5 weeks remaining with 5 very beatable opponents. They just need to take care of business, and we all know the Pats recent record in December. Give me five straight convincing victories going into the postseason and I couldn't give a rat's patoot about what happened last night.
^^This

is what's hard for gloating Yahoo-rival fans to comprendé and even harder for some Pats fans to realize

tTournnement is tEveryThing and in BB I trust to get tTeam inta it EVERY year

3) which leads me to the Vrabel decision. Couldn't Vrabel have given the Pats more than Burgess or Thomas? Couldn't he have taken Seau's roster spot? That he was a "throw in" to the Cassel trade never sat well with me, and even more so now. Unless proven wrong, I'll go to my grave thinking this wasn't a "football only" decision. Was he worth the money? :shrug: Sometimes you gotta pay for continuity and leadership.
you made me think long 'n hard when you posted some months ago about Vrabel's comments vis á vis PatriotPlace/playa's sharing tPie but I'm still convinced #50's time was up & tYoungLBs needed an empty slot to claim in BB's mind
4) Wilfork is the defensive MVP, but I'm not sure any player has had as much impact when he's been on the field as TBC. (You could've knocked me over with a feather 6 months ago if I could ever had considered typing that.) I hope he doesn't get tested for PEDs (half joking) because I'm not sure I've ever seen a player whom I've completely written off turn things around 180 degrees. He's a man on a mission, and he's making big plays, and you notice when he's not in the game. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level. There, I said it: Tully Banta Cain is playing at a freakin' Pro Bowl level. Go figure. :huh:
^^This
even I noticed.....and I don't know wtf I'm lookin' at usually :)

6) My other thoughts on the D? Wilhite, given time, will turn out to be a very good nickel corner if not better.
it is maddening to watch Duane run around and stay close to guys but not seem to know how/have technique/show effort to make plays when the ball arrives :cuss:
7) BB has made a career out of taking away an offense's top 2 weapons. Well, guess what? The Saints drew the blueplan for doing the same to the Pats with Earthwind Moreland personnel. Man coverage with FS over the top on Moss and man coverage shaded outside with SS help inside on Welker; play "get the QB" (similar to what the Giants did in TGTSNBM) with your 3 or 4 d-lineman, with an occasional blitz or overload inside. Be prepared to see this, A LOT, until Brady shows confidence in his other receivers, or BB commits to operating under center and making defenses honor the run.
there were times I actually thought I was seeing 2 d-lineman rushing & EVERYBODY ELSE dropping back into some kinda coverage w/ the LB's & tSecondary :eek: I agree that confidence in other receivers not named #81/#83 is a must (I was :crying: that Edelman was out and there were not more Sammy Morris carries)
9) Brady on the sidelines with 5 minutes remaining reminded me of a Roberto Duran "No mas" moment. I understand the decision, but I didn't like it. It would've taken a minor miracle for the Pats to pull off the upset at that point, but I don't understand the reasoning behind pulling him there, but leaving him in games up 4 TDs in 2nd half. WTF?
my read on this is BB WHITE-FLAG capitulating to Sean Payton on MNF but wanted TFB to have an easy workout/put in some PT against Tenn & TB
12) Now for the prickliest of subjects: coaching. It's 2006 redux. BB's doing too much. The effects of losing coordinator after coordinator, and more and more talent at the junior levels every year, is simply taking it's toll. It's showing up on the field on Sundays and there's simple no deflecting it anymore: the Pats are getting outcoached more than ever before. Weis? Crennel? I don't know, but I sure wouldn't be against it if BB brought them in...in the offseason. Too late for official coaching changes in 2009 - the Pats will have to dance with the dates that brung'em.
tSidelinesClusterfvck w/ burning TOs, personnel-groups on, no now off the field just B4 the ill-fated 4th&2 Colts game was pretty glaring :shake: but I am sure you are going deeper than that in your analysis ;)
All that, and I didn't even mention Giselle's husband once. He's the least of my worries. The Pats need to establish some momentum, keep their starters healthy, and show what they've been working towards on defense this whole season. They've got 5 weeks to do it. If they can pull it off, they'll be a tough out. If not, I hope there's no new CBA, because the '10 team might have some serious turnover if the two sides reach an agreement ... and our boy wonder isn't getting any younger.
are you saying a new CBA means Kraft does not free up $$ to extend key guys named Wilfork/Mankins? :shrug:

2) The Pats are immature on defense. Seau may not see another snap of action this season, and he was still worth signing. We've heard it from the younger players recently as to his importance in the locker room; and now we've heard it from the vets (TBC, Bodden, Wilfork) and even the coach himself today. The bickering on the sidelines last night amongst the D was embarrassing....

5) Meriweather and McGowan take too many chances. They are not complementary and simply do not have the experience like a Harrison to gamble the way they do without it coming back to haunt the Pats in big games. I assume they'll both get better about understanding their limits with time, but for the playoff stretch I'd like to see a little more of my man, James Sanders' steadying hand, particularly on passing downs (maybe all 3 on the field at once even).

6) My other thoughts on the D? Wilhite, given time, will turn out to be a very good nickel corner if not better. Butler has all the goods to eventually be a very good starting corner. Bodden is the #1 improvement on the D since last year, and is the primary reason the Pats even try to blitz versus last season. Mayo and Guyton are wearing down from too much PT and probably, practice time. A Thomas is simply not the player he was a year ago, and I haven't the foggiest notion why. Burgess leads the team in QB pressures but has simply lost a step from when he was a premier pass rusher. Woods is a run-stopping OLB only, and that's simply not good enough. Warren and Green cannot get any pressure on the QB and Wright and Pryor can't stop the run - perfect. Richard Seymour, FWIW, could do both, but I'd still trade him to Oakland in a heartbeat for a pirate's treasure.

What I see is a defense in transition: some parts 3-4, some 4-3. I assume BB's got a plan, but I haven't a semblance of a clue as to what it is. Madden used to say that when you've got a lot of something, then you've got nothing, and that's kind of how I view this year's D to-date. Hopefully, that'll change and we'll see what the Master Chef Hoodie has cooked up to serve us that'll be at least palatable come playoff time (more Wolfgang Puck and less hockey puck for the taste buds). If anyone can get this D to mesh in the next 5 weeks, we've got him on our sidelines.

8) The Pats MUST run an out and up with Moss from 4th and short from midfield before the season is over. They've become much too predictable with the quick outs on must-have conversions longer than 2 yards. This is a 50-yard TD waiting to happen.

10) Maroney read his blocks against the Saints better than I think I've ever seen him do before. That's promising. I still question his vision though, but he has made huge improvements on his pad level this season. He's really finishing his runs and is obviously confident his shoulder's healthy. He also made Vilma look like a pee wee baller last night on one play where LM was dead-to-rights. Unless he completely falls apart, the Pats need to ride him in December and forget this running-back-by-committee strategy as they approach the playoffs.

10) Thoughts on the rest of the O? Watson and Baker are who we thought they were: one is slightly better than average in the passing game, but a below average blocker, and vice versa - give them Wonder Twin powers and you'd have one pretty good TE. For the Edelman lovers: the Pats need an outside guy, not another slot receiver (but still, what a great find). Aiken reminds me a lot of a young Givens. Neal was having the best year of any of the offensive linemen: they need him back healthy badly. Light has lost his job: Vollmer looks extremely promising. Mankins is playing better of late, which is a major reason why Maroney looks better. Koppen still gets beaten badly once a game in pass protection, but is overall ok. Kaczur is serviceable until he faces a good pash rusher. Morris takes BJGE's spot on the gameday roster and is an instant upgrade. How Taylor fits in when he eventually gets back is anyone's guess.

11) Special teams are ho-hum. Hanson's an enigma, although punting better as of late. Ghost is pretty darn good despite missing a few kicks. Coverage has been decent, but I wish they could find a better kick returner (Slater just isn't "doing it" for me.) Butler? Wheatley? Hobbs? j/k :)

B e l i c h e a t

tldr.jpg

LOL J/K There is some really goos stuff in there. I agree, the best (And only) thing that the Pats can do is move forward. One game at a time, win out, and let's see where 12-4 gets us. Assuming the Pats get a rematch in the SB, well then BB has 2 month to figure out how to right everything he did wrong in that game (Which was pretty much EVERYTHING).

Pats have some studs and stars in the making on D; can they get it together in time for the playoffs? The Offense is awesome at times but can be stopped (Which has been proven by multiple teams several times). The Pats still control their fate to the point of where they win out they will in all likelihood grab the #2 seed. Still lots of football to be played, lets see if our team can man up and overcome their problems.

it is maddening to watch Duane run around and stay close to guys but not seem to know how/have technique/show effort to make plays when the ball arrives :cuss:
I knew Duane Starks RG, and Jonathan Wilhite is no Duane Starks. In '05 you could count on Starks trailing his man by 5 feet when the ball arrived. Wilhite's actually with his man, which is the toughest part of the battle IMO. Now he's just got to learn when to either: turn his head and look for the ball, or get his arms up to deflect/rip the ball out. Technique can be learned: speed and agility, notsomuch. The unknown with Wilhite is his psyche: CBs have to have the demeanor of closers in baseball.

CBA means Kraft does not free up $$ to extend key guys named Wilfork/Mankins? :shrug:
New CBA w/cap probably means the Pats suddenly have a crapload of UFAs, like Mankins and Gostkowski, who are due for significant raises.

I knew Duane Starks RG, and Jonathan Wilhite is no Duane Starks. In '05 you could count on Starks trailing his man by 5 feet when the ball arrived. Wilhite's actually with his man, which is the toughest part of the battle IMO. Now he's just got to learn when to either: turn his head and look for the ball, or get his arms up to deflect/rip the ball out. Technique can be learned: speed and agility, notsomuch. The unknown with Wilhite is his psyche: CBs have to have the demeanor of closers in baseball.

New CBA w/cap probably means the Pats suddenly have a crapload of UFAs, like Mankins and Gostkowski, who are due for significant raises.

Some soccer coach of European fame (I forget which) once said "I can teach a player everything except speed" or something to that effect anyway.
Wilhite can become a solid corner, I think.

Nice write-up WA, there is a lot of good stuff to work with here. Your issues #2 and #3 go hand in hand I think. I think too many Pats fans want to live in the past with the old glories and players. I suspect there are still Pats fans who think bringing back McGinest and Law would be a good idea. It wouldn't be, at some point you need to move on. I think BB sees this and is why we are seeing such an infusion of new talent, particularly on the defense.

The trade of Seymour goes along with this too. How many of the four losses would Seymour have prevented? IMO it wouldn't be enough to pass up the trade with Oakland. We have gotten younger and faster on defense, but that brings with it the lack of experience and an identity, and that is something that both the team, and a lot of the fans, need too.

There can be no looking back, these young players need to step up and take ownership. This is THEIR team now. We have a great holdover from the dynasty of old in #12 and a few other assorted pieces, but if we are going to start a new dynasty, then the new generation needs to step up. New leaders need to emerge. Who will it be? Mayo? Vince?

On issue #11 I'll disagree on Slater. In one recent game it was very noticeable how Slater got down field on punts so fast that he was right in the receiving player's face as he was getting ready to field the ball. Slater is not a ST problem over all.

Now...issue #12. You are preaching to the choir here. I have been screaming about this one for a while. The NFL has mechanisms in place to allow teams to control the services of players, but the mechanism for the controlling the essential services of coaching and front office personnel is not well developed at all.

I don't think any team has had close to the losses in these areas as the Pats and it takes a toll, as others have pointed out how tired BB looks. A lesser man who isn't as singularly grounded in football as BB may have been burnt out by now. When the Pats lose these personnel, they are forced to replace them, and in the Pats case that usually means developing them yourself. This causes a gap in continuity, as well as increasing the work load of those he remain.

It's been particularly bad for the Pats as everyone recognizes how great BB is (including the haters who would never admit it openly), and teams have looked to the Pats as the model franchise and they all want the next BB. Additionally, since the Pats are usually playing deep into the playoffs, they have a shorter off-season to make up for the defections.

And look at the loss of Ratgini. THAT one cost the Pats a #1 pick along with loss of the assistant coach.

Through all of this, I have never heard BB complain, and he has always been open to letting his coaches advance themselves. Even Ratgini wasn't discouraged from advancing, he was just advised against going to the Rats, and BB was shown to be right here.

I think the league needs to come up with some sort of salary cap strictly for the coaching staff, and some sort of system put in place to compensate the teaming losing the coach. Maybe it could be based on how long the coach was with his original team, or how many coaching/front office losses the team has already taken over a particular period of time. It won't help the Pats now, since the great exodus has already happened, but may help in the future.

Commissioner Tagliabue ruled against allowing teams to get compensation for losing coaches after the Raiders got draft picks from Tampa Bay for Jon Gruden, but that seems kind of arbitrary, and needs to be readdressed.

If New Orleans wins the Superbowl good for them, but they won't be so happy when they get identified as the new "it" franchise and everyone wants a piece of them. It wouldn't bother me though if teams started looking elsewhere than New England for their saviors.

Pretty sure Vrabel's out indefinitely at the moment and has tallied one sack all season. I don't think we miss him at all.

Pretty sure Vrabel's out indefinitely at the moment and has tallied one sack all season. I don't think we miss him at all.
Randy Moss had 42 catches for 553 yards in 2006 with the Raiders.

Reche Caldwell had 61 catches for 760 yards that year for the Patriots.

Statistically, Caldwell was the better player. I guess we should've re-signed him and not traded for Moss. ;)

Lies. Damn Lies. Statistics.

Schemes. Complementary talent. Motivation.

Back