Kraft and CBS Vs. NFL & NBC - over Flexing Tebow Time

It's funny the Chargers get prime time games. As long as it's on tv, I don't mind. I'm not a fan of noon games, though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know how the flex rules work, so answer me this...

Isn't there something they could do about this upcoming MNF? I mean, Rams - Seabags? C'mon, man!

:shake:

Isn't there something they could do about this upcoming MNF? I mean, Rams - Seabags? C'mon, man!

MNF has a lot of weird choices. How did the Jags get to host twice?

ESPN doesn't have any flex privileges, so what you see it's what you get. I won't be surprised if they were to lobby for flexing after this year. This has been the worst Monday night football year I can remember.

ESPN doesn't have any flex privileges, so what you see it's what you get. I won't be surprised if they were to lobby for flexing after this year. This has been the worst Monday night football year I can remember.

Ah, so that explains it! Thanks! :toast:

ESPN and NFL just inked a deal that secures MNF until 2021 - the old deal was to expire in 2013.

In the new deal ESPN got the rights to broadcast a Wildcard game (they had pushed for playoff games and even a Superbowl) - but no flexing.

What thy should do is set the MNF schedule for the first half of the season.

And then for the second half allow ESPN to pick one game from three or four determnined by NFL to broadcast. This would ensure that the games are meaningful during the most important part of the year while still ensuring that NFL can make the ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX happy.

Of course the other thing to consider is NFLN. There have been some quality Thursday night games this year and I almost think NFL wants to make their money from ESPN while ensuring some of the best product stays with NFLN.

ESPN doesn't have any flex privileges, so what you see it's what you get. I won't be surprised if they were to lobby for flexing after this year.
It's much harder to move a game to a different day, than it is to move it back a few hours.

You're talking about plane flights, busses, hotels, etc, not just for the teams involved, but for the networks as well. Finding 100 hotel rooms for a Saturday or Sunday night, two weeks before a game, is not always going to be doable. Teams usually book hotels several months in advance.

.......not to mention fans who purchase tickets well in advance, and travel in for games.

Glad to see that this game has been kept at 4.15 - don't like watching Prime Time and Thursday games (Super Bowl is an exception) - it's not to say I won't watch them it's just that the Game would start at about 1am and finish about 4am UK time and if I have college or work in the morning then it becomes a lot more difficult due to lack of sleep.

I enjoy SNF and MNF when it's not the Pats playing, because I have a choice to watch or to not watch and I can always turn it off early if I like. When the Pats are playing I legally have to watch by law, and have to watch the whole game, so I'm bleary eyed the next day.

I, like most fans, prefer to watch the Pats at 2pm Sunday (I'm 1 hour ahead of Eastern time)

So the games here start at 2, 5, 9, and 9:30.

As far as ESPN getting a Super Bowl they'd HAVE to Simulcast it on ABC, this isn't like the CFL where no one watches and so it can be put on cable.

Looks like some other owners are pissed that the Pats/Kraft could prevent this game from being flexed. Boohoo.

plenty of people around the league have a strong opinion about the situation. As one source with one of the teams not directly involved in the situation explained it, the decision has sparked a significant amount of strongly-worded email traffic among executives with the various teams regarding the manner in which the league handled the decision not to shift New England at Denver from 4:15 p.m. ET to 8:20 p.m. ET. Per the source, there are two concerns. First, some teams believe that it’s the latest example of unfair and inconsistent treatment by the league office. Many believe that the Patriots pushed for the status quo, as a favor to CBS. Peter King of SI.com has suggested on Twitter that the Ravens and Broncos also were involved in the lobbying, and that the perception Pats owner Bob Kraft strong-armed the league into keeping New England at Denver on CBS is incorrect. (King promises to tell the full story in the next Monday Morning Quarterback.) Regardless of whether it was the Patriots only or the Patriots along with the Broncos and Ravens, the source explained that most teams are ignored when making requests regarding flexing and non-flexing decisions.
“Only a few clubs are treated with such delicate gloves,” the source said.
Second, there is some discontent with the league’s failure to be candid about the situation with the other 28 teams. The internal memo explaining the situation was regarded by some as an insult to the intelligence to those who understood what was going on — that CBS and NBC were fighting over which network would televise the game, and that one or more teams were actively involved in lobbying the league toward keeping Ravens-Chargers in the prime-time position.
As a result, other teams that now want to lobby for games to be flexed or not to be flexed will be able to point to Week 15 of the 2011 season as the precedent for trying to influence the process. And so the league office can expect the volume — and the volume — of such requests to increase in the future.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sion-ruffles-some-feathers-within-the-league/

Looks like some other owners are pissed that the Pats/Kraft could prevent this game from being flexed. Boohoo.

Peter King of SI.com is a douche, but I am interested in what he prints next Monday in his Monday Morning Quarterback

Be forewarned!

Asda

Here comes
FlexiGate :D

They can kiss my ass that will be shivering a LOT less thanks to Mr. Kraft keeping this game on when the sun is still shining.

The idiot that is Peter King and football fans in general should realize that if not for Kraft, we wouldn't have had a full season.

Glad to see that this game has been kept at 4.15 - don't like watching Prime Time and Thursday games (Super Bowl is an exception) - it's not to say I won't watch them it's just that the Game would start at about 1am and finish about 4am UK time and if I have college or work in the morning then it becomes a lot more difficult due to lack of sleep.

Not to change the subject, but does anyone else besides me wish the Superbowl were played on Saturday night. Monday's after the superbowls are killers at work and for school age kids. Moving the game to Saturday would make it much easier on a lot of us, plus teams still have the extra week to prepare so one day less shouldn't matter.

Not to change the subject, but does anyone else besides me wish the Superbowl were played on Saturday night. Monday's after the superbowls are killers at work and for school age kids. Moving the game to Saturday would make it much easier on a lot of us, plus teams still have the extra week to prepare so one day less shouldn't matter.

:thumb:

It has been discussed for years or for making Monday a national holiday but again..the Super Bowl is not for fans. It is a corporate event so until that changes (when hell freezes over) it isn't going to happen. (I know such a cynic.;))

Back