Let's Watch OTA's Closely In 2015

Looks like JG is going to be a Patriot for a while the way he handled the offense yesterday.

Looks like JG is going to be a Patriot for a while the way he handled the offense yesterday.

Where are you getting your info???

Can't wait for the football news to overwhelm the other stuff.

The horse whispers directly in his ear. He learned long ago:

"Go straight to the source and ask the horse. He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.

Sound advice he still follows to this day. :coffee:

Cheers

No Butler!!! Teh sky be falling!!!

And where is that damn Belichicoder?
Posted via Mobile Device

The horse whispers directly in his ear. He learned long ago:

"Go straight to the source and ask the horse. He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.

Sound advice he still follows to this day. :coffee:

Cheers

mr.-ed-300x225.jpg

Can't wait for the football news to overwhelm the other stuff.

From today's Quick Hit Thoughts by Mike Reiss

Quick-hit thoughts and notes around the New England Patriots:
1. I think one of the hardest things to do in the NFL is draft and develop a capable quarterback, and after watching 2014 second-round pick Jimmy Garoppolo on Friday, it looks like the Patriots are on the right track with him. Tom Brady has set such a high bar in New England that it's easy for observers to take high-level quarterback play for granted in a practice setting, where receiving the play-call, quickly ensuring everyone is aligned properly, making any checks and then delivering the ball on time and accurately is essentially the goal. Garoppolo looked sharp to me in all those areas Friday.
2. Prior to organized team activities, I sensed confidence from the Patriots' coaching staff that if the team has to turn to Garoppolo early in the season should Brady's suspension not be overturned that they would still be competitive. Friday only reinforced that thought. There's obviously a long way to go (the real football starts when pads come on), but when I think of all the backups to Brady in recent memory, I'm not sure there's one who has as much promise as Garoppolo at this point.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...1885/quick-hit-thoughts-around-the-patriots-2

Reiss was going on as well about the Tight Ends. How impressive and how freaking huge Chandler and Gronk look. He's already guessing this will be a huge area the Pats will base their offense on. We know how good Gronk is, but I think Chandler could really be significant and add in Wright for something different. AJ Derby is a work in progress but he's quick with very good hands.

Q: The camera above the field is something we haven’t seen before. What does that do for you?
BB: Oh, I don’t know.

:facepalm: Man I know reporters gotta ask questions but come on.

On the no numbers on the Jersey issue I know BB says it so the players interact better but don't you think part of it is so the coaching staff doesn't prejudge players??
I think he does it to annoy the media.

:D

:coffee:

I think he does it to annoy the media.

:D

:coffee:

This is exactly why. To piss off your Shanks and Volins of the world.

Oh poor them. They might actually have to find out that "they" don't all "look alike". :coffee:

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ubxH2U6lRCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AW0rzfP56Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JGs ints/DBs step up and play well
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MRQa8AXmYgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JG highlights
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mmuknF_B5oI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BB talks about what he wants out of OTAs
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PYcpL1eLcJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spikes talks about missing out on the SB
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HDF-XpfYeyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Geneo Grissom talks about his strengths and versatility w/ 1 Pat answer
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lSrWeiF83j8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shaq Mason and Tre Jackson talk
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z2R72PB7xFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JG evades deflategate questions with typical Patriot finesse and talks about practicing in Cali with receivers
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5cvaMCSUbIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ABC's Nikki Battiste swoons over JG
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wyp44FEWXfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By Christopher Price
With the recent release of linebacker Brandon Spikes and the addition of defensive back Derek Cox, it looks like here have been a few number changes over the last few days for the Patriots. According to the team website,

linebacker Jonathan Freeny now has Spikes’€™ old No. 55, while

Dane Fletcher gets his old No. 52 back. Meanwhile,

Cox will wear 34, last donned by running back Shane Vereen.

For the latest numerical updates, check out the roster here.

By Christopher Price
With the recent release of linebacker Brandon Spikes and the addition of defensive back Derek Cox, it looks like here have been a few number changes over the last few days for the Patriots. According to the team website,

I was looking to see if anyone was going to be wearing 75. Didn't see one. Trey Flowers and Dominique Easley are both wearing 74, however.

Hmmmmmm......

By Christopher Price

F*** yeah! Dane Fletcher's my dude. Glad he went back to 52

I was looking to see if anyone was going to be wearing 75. Didn't see one. Trey Flowers and Dominique Easley are both wearing 74, however.

Hmmmmmm......

Easley is changing his number to 99 for the season, so no big mystery there.

FWIW, I whenever I see a number awarded to a guy I tend to think of previous guys that have worn it for the Pats.

The only guy I can think of for 99 is Mike Wright -- who wasn't around that long before retiring due to injury. We've had a lot of 74s but the best was probably Shelby Jordan -- a big RT in the late 70's who was quite underrated in my book.

I liked #99 Mike Wright a lot...probably more than most Pats fans. Every time he went in the game it seemed like he made something good happen. He was mobile, sneaky and smart in squeezing through the OL and often put pressure on the QB. Sad to see concussions end his career early.

=========================

Reiss says Scott Chandler has become one of the boys & McDaniels says he's become a "tremendous veteran addition".

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A few leftovers of note from media access to the New England Patriots' organized team activity Thursday:
Scott Chandler makes strong first impression. Tight end Scott Chandler, who signed with the Patriots in March after five seasons with the Bills, is getting favorable reviews. "Scott's been a tremendous veteran addition to our team," offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said. "He has a great work ethic, he's come in here and done everything he could to catch up. He has a good rapport with the quarterbacks and the other tight ends and he's very coachable, very intelligent and in great condition. He's everything you could ask somebody to come here and be at this point in the year."
Chandler's unique look on the field. When Chandler answered questions from reporters, he flashed a smile that revealed two missing teeth. "In high school, I got elbowed in the mouth and got six teeth out," he relayed. "They tried to put them back in, and thought for a while it was going to work out. But this offseason, I went and got an X-Ray and it didn't look so good." So Chandler had two of the teeth pulled, and instead of wearing his retainer on the field, he goes without it. The reason? "I like to look mean for a little bit," he cracked, saying he'll stick with that look for a couple more weeks before getting his replacement teeth. Asked if there was pain involved, Chandler showed his self-depreciating side. "Just when you look at me; it's painful for you," he joked.
No difference in Brady. McDaniels hasn't noticed a difference in quarterback Tom Brady in light of the Deflategate fallout, calling him "the same Tom Brady I've always had a chance to coach at this time of year -- working extremely hard, great attitude, a very positive influence on our offense and team. Nothing different than every year I've had a chance to work with him in the past." McDaniels added that Brady has had "a very good spring."
Nothing out of the norm with QB reps. As for how the Patriots have split up repetitions in practice between Brady and top backup Jimmy Garoppolo, it was described by McDaniels as business as usual. "We're doing the same thing we would have always done," he said. "The first two [quarterbacks] are getting a lot of the same reps, splitting the same periods."
Super Bowl rings to be presented Sunday. Patriots owner Robert Kraft will present Super Bowl rings to players during a private function at his home on Sunday. Kraft has also invited players who were part of the 2014 team but have signed elsewhere. The team's official website put together a video to preview the day.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...rong-first-impression-on-new-england-patriots

from Jeff Howe on today's minicamp practice.

The Patriots have wrapped up their first of three scheduled minicamp practices at Gillette Stadium. Here are our observations.
Notable absentees: Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Sebastian Vollmer, Ryan Wendell, Brandon LaFell, Matthew Slater
Key takeaways:
Alan Branch and Fred Davis returned after missing time earlier in OTAs.
Matt Flynn’s debut got off to a rough start when he fumbled a snap during a light-speed drill. Flynn had to run a penalty lap. Flynn was hardly pushing Jimmy Garoppolo for any reps, which was expected. The third-stringer spent early practice time lobbing passes to the defense during drills that were designed for defensive fundamentals. Flynn later went through some light reps when he dropped into the pocket and wasn’t asked to throw the ball, so he is clearly still in the infant stage of his learning curve.
Tom Brady was very sharp, completing 24 of 33 passes in 11-on-11s and 5 of 6 in 7-on-7s. Jimmy Garoppolo was 26 of 32 with an interception in 11-on-11s and 5 of 6 in 7-on-7s. Flynn got one period of 11-on-11s against third-stringers and was 5 of 9 with a sack, but he completed his last four practices, including a touchdown to Brian Tyms.
Brady was 7 of 9 during a two-minute drill with one drop (Julian Edelman). His best connection in that period came on a deep ball to Danny Amendola, who cut through the middle of the defense for a long catch and run, but he added another terrific hookup with James White on a difficult catch in the end zone on a deep wheel route up the left sideline. (Vereen's signature route)
Logan Ryan got beat a couple times during that first period.
Amendola had his best day of the four open practices. He had one great catch midway through the workout when he made a leaping catch over a defender, and it was his first of three connections during an 11-on-11 period in which Brady went 12 of 16. Brady closed that period with three straight touchdowns (two for Scott Chandler and one for Amendola). Amendola’s best catch came during the first rep of the final period of 11-on-11s, as he made an awesome leaping catch over the middle against Duron Harmon and Robert McClain on a Brady pass.
Josh Boyce also stepped up during that session by catching four passes from Brady. Chandler added three of his own, including a terrific touchdown catch over Devin McCourty, who looked stunned that Chandler made the catch.
Meanwhile, Garoppolo went 13 of 15 with Julian Edelman (five catches) and Rob Gronkowski (three catches) at his disposal, as the two quarterbacks were operating on adjacent fields. Brady went against most of the starting defense, though, while Garoppolo competed against perceived subs.
Gronkowski made a ridiculous leaping catch over three defenders during the drill and added a touchdown seven plays later.
Darryl Roberts had a really nice pass breakup against Garoppolo along the left sideline.
Chandler left the field late in the workout with an apparent rib injury on his right side, but head trainer Jim Whalen didn’t appear overly concerned after spending about a minute with him. Chandler remained on the sideline for the duration of practice and spent plenty of time chatting with teammates, including receiving some pointers from Amendola.
Malcolm Butler has kept a strong handle on his place toward the top of the depth chart.
Tyler Gaffney had his most active day of the four open practices. He caught four passes, including one after turning awkwardly for a tough reception, during one 11-on-11 period with Garoppolo. Gaffney also took a few hand-offs during that stretch.
Brady, Gronkowski, Chandler, Michael Hoomanawanui and James Develin broke off together on an adjacent field to work on red-zone patterns while special teamers took over on the primary field. While this was happening, Josh McDaniels gave Garoppolo some one-on-one instruction.
Rob Ninkovich batted down a Brady pass at the line of scrimmage during goal-line drills in 11-on-11s.
Good job by Garoppolo to shake off an interception during his final period of 11-on-11s. His first pass was deflected and intercepted by Nate Ebner, which was reminiscent of his five-interception conclusion to a workout from two weeks ago. However, Garoppolo closed it down by completing seven consecutive passes. Three went to Gronkowski, who finished the drive and the practice with a touchdown.
The Patriots focused on situational work today, including getting the field-goal team onto the field with the clock winding down before halftime or the end of the game.
Next up: The Patriots practice tomorrow morning at Gillette. It’s open to the media but closed to the public.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...nicamp_takeaways_matt_flynn_joins_the_qb_fray

Brady and Scott Chandler getting it right quickly

Chandler's connection with Brady appeared to be part of the coaching staff's design in the practice, as they split the team up on two fields and ran 11-on-11 drills at the same time. Chandler was the top tight end with Brady, with Danny Amendola the top receiver. Meanwhile, No. 2 quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo got to work with top tight end Rob Gronkowski and top receiver Julian Edelman.
Chandler was catching most everything thrown in his direction, including one delivery in the back left-hand corner of the end zone to cap off one segment of 11-on-11 drills. The 6-foot-7 Chandler snared the ball over his head, reaching up over an undersized defensive back to take advantage of his long reach.
After practice, Chandler was asked about his growing connection with Brady, which was also seen in low-speed drills when there was no defense on the field and Brady called out his name to let him know he'd be looking in his direction. The two spent time talking on the sideline as well.
"I still think there is a lot of room to grow there, and a lot to learn," Chandler said. "But it's coming along. ... We try to take a step forward every day."
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...-in-with-tom-brady-before-exiting-with-injury

"I still think there is a lot of room to grow there, and a lot to learn," Chandler said. "But it's coming along. ... We try to take a step forward every day."

He's already talking like a veteran Patriot.

Back