Local hidden gems for Eats

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
If there is already a thread on this, my apologies, but this morning I found myself wishing there was such a thread, so if you know any special, unique places to eat that someone from out of town, passing through, should know about, why not share our little secrets with one another here? Maybe a few Planeteers may find themselves breaking bread together from time to time!

Here are a few that I am familiar with that won't break the bank, but are, in my opinion, outstanding places.

Newton
, Farm Grill & Rotisserie, Greek cuisine. I highly recommend the Spicy Feta Spread with your choice of whatever you want to dip..pita bread, veggies, anything, and I also recommend the Chicken Ceasar Gyro lunch special, which is available all day. It's delicious, and the ceasar dressing they use has a strong garlic and parmesan flavor.

Holliston, Outpost Farm, a little family run place, very near the golf courses if you know Holliston at all. Their Turkey Dinners are phenomnal, and their smoked BBQ on Tuesday's is unbelievable, but sells out right quick. They also have things like homemade pies, frozen turkey pot pies, and stuffed turkey breasts that are either pre-cooked or you can cook yourself. I bought the stuffed Turkey breast for thanksgiving and it was awesome! They raise their own turkeys, and they have fresh produce in season.

Framingham, Bella Costa, Italian...this is the real deal, they make their own pasta in house. Make reservations, they are jammed all the time, sometimes they have live piano music. Any of their pastas is highly recommended, but if you get an olive oil sauce, be warned...the olive oil is legit...it taste strongly of olives, not your olive oil you have at home. Recommended appetizers are Calamari and/or meatballs....the meatball is more like meatloaf, it's huge! Mostly, though, after dinner, you MUST have a Bella Costa Coffee...but I think it is about 60 proof, so fair warning!

So, if you are in the area, looking for something good, unique, and affordable, not you regular franchise places....these ones come highly recommended by me. (y)

Good idea.

I'll plug two on the South Shore.

1. The Stack Shack - Plymouth

This is an unusual outdoor place just behind Cordage Park a mile or two North of downtown Plymouth that is an expanded sort of Food Truck set-up with a quality bar with specialty mixed drinks and draft beer right at the water's edge. It's picnic tables on clamshells, but it's roomy and done nicely. Folks bring their dogs and it's got a good pub vibe about it. We started going last summer when dining out choices were limited, but the Stack Shack made it work and there was enough space to allow the Covid skittish to feel safe while enjoying some of the finest lobster salad sandwiches I've had. Fat, juicy, perfectly cooked and seasoned. I've had them 6 times and they are batting .1000. Lobster prices are insane right now, but I haven't heard any complain after having theirs.

2. The Burgundian -- Attleboro

This is another "food truck" concept that does popups, typically at brewpubs, all around this area from the South Shore to Providence. They also opened a brick and mortar takeout restaurant in Attleboro and they are now re-furbing a british double-decker bus with upstairs dining. They are getting a buzz for their "chicken and waffles". However, the superiority with how they do that is hard to explain. It is the best fried chicken I've ever had over the best waffle (lie'ge style ) served with bacon bits, garlic butter and maple syrup. These guys are really creative and I'd rather eat their food than just about anything.

I'll throw 2 out there as well. 1 is in my South Shore hometown of Brockton. Cape Cod Cafe. There is nothing like their bar-style pizza which I have only found on the SS and the Greek salads are second to none. Actually, everything is fantastic in this bar with some restaurant seating. Been eating there every chance I get since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

16-22.jpg

The second is near me and is in football's hometown of Henniker, NH. Intervale Farms Pancake House is amazing farm-fresh food delivered to your table in generous portions at a good price. Best breakfasts I have had in years.

These 3 plates were just part of my breakfast after a great weekend of camping.

16-22.jpg

Woodstock, CT, great pizza served Wednesday through Sunday. Roadside stand with some inexpensive, good food.

Last edited:
Chester NH. the pizza part of the place is a pizza place (If I want that I go to All in One Market right here in town, excellent thin crust). They have some amazing greek and italian food set up for take out in a deli case. The spinach pita is the best I have had since when I was a kid in Lawrence in the 60's. They import the pita bread from Lawrence too. You would never expect to find that at a little pizza place in Chester.

The second is near me and is in football's hometown of Henniker, NH. Intervale Farms Pancake House is amazing farm-fresh food delivered to your table in generous portions at a good price. Best breakfasts I have had in years.

View attachment 5965

I've been there! I get the buckwheat pancakes.

It's a bit of a detour for me on the way to my cabin, but I've done it...two years ago the last time. Normally I stay on 93 all the way up to Cannon Mountain, so it is actually a big detour.

I'll throw 2 out there as well. 1 is in my South Shore hometown of Brockton. Cape Cod Cafe. There is nothing like their bar-style pizza which I have only found on the SS and the Greek salads are second to none. Actually, everything is fantastic in this bar with some restaurant seating. Been eating there every chance I get since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

View attachment 5966

View attachment 5965
walking distance from my home

Chester NH. the pizza part of the place is a pizza place (If I want that I go to All in One Market right here in town, excellent thin crust). They have some amazing greek and italian food set up for take out in a deli case. The spinach pita is the best I have had since when I was a kid in Lawrence in the 60's. They import the pita bread from Lawrence too. You would never expect to find that at a little pizza place in Chester.

Not far from me but I assume Greek pizza of which my (Italian) wife is not a fan.

Here are a few that I am familiar with that won't break the bank, but are, in my opinion, outstanding places.
Holliston, Outpost Farm, a little family run place, very near the golf courses if you know Holliston at all. Their Turkey Dinners are phenomnal, and their smoked BBQ on Tuesday's is unbelievable, but sells out right quick. They also have things like homemade pies, frozen turkey pot pies, and stuffed turkey breasts that are either pre-cooked or you can cook yourself. I bought the stuffed Turkey breast for thanksgiving and it was awesome! They raise their own turkeys, and they have fresh produce in season.

Living in this town and having fresh killed turkey and hams for Xmas and News Years dinners from The Outpost for over 30 years
resulting in just the most juicy, succulent, tender, flavorful Holiday dining experiences ---- all I can say is it always was like.........

iu
😛

The Wonder Bar on Shrewsbury St. in Worcester. Great Italian food, and particularly pizza, for very reasonable prices. Been there for decades and was recently featured on The Phantom Gourmet.
Been there just once, but Wunderbar!

I have not been there for a while (it's difficult to commute to Hudson Mass from Australia during a pandemic), but The Rail Trail serves fines pizza and craft beers.

I have not been there for a while (it's difficult to commute to Hudson Mass from Australia during a pandemic), but The Rail Trail serves fines pizza and craft beers.

You could always go to the Horseshoe Pub...

Back