Looking at the Offense - 2011

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
I. Overview

The Pats rebuilt their offense during 2010, changing from a spread dominated vertical scheme to a ball control offense structured around the TEs. The WR position was drastically changed by the Randy Moss and Deion Branch trades. The RB position was also overhauled. The result was spectacular: the second 500 point season in the past 4 years and one of the most efficient and effective offenses in history. The offense showed considerably less predictability than the 2009 version, and Bill O'Brien showed maturity and development in the de facto OC role. Nevertheless, the offense once again struggled in the playoffs with familiar problems: predictability, lack of an effective running game when the opposing defense focused on shutting down the pass, and poor pass protection.

Going into 2011 the major issues appeared to be age at the OL and RB units, and the need for a vertical threat WR to stretch the field and open up the short and intermediate passing game. Most people viewed the offense as the strength of the team, and the general consensus seemed to be that a few minor tweaks combined with some improvements on defense should help the Pats get over the top as a contender. But there is increasing evidence that the FO and coaching staff does not share that assessment, and is looking at major changes to the offense for 2011.

II. Positional Breakdown

QB

It still starts and ends with Tom Brady, who had one of his best seasons in 2010, setting a record for consecutive passes without an interception and racking up his second MVP award. TB seemed to reach a new level after the Randy Moss trade and thrive on a ball control short-intermediate passing game, allowing him to find the open receiver. His accuracy, red zone execution and decision making were considerably improved from 2009, and the offense performed on a historic level during the second half of the season. Nevertheless, the Jets were able to stack the field with DBs and dare the Pats to run the ball, underscoring the limitations of an offense completely oriented around a short-intermediate passing game.

Brian Hoyer looked solid as a backup last year, and performed well in limited action. Nevertheless, the Pats pulled a shocker by drafting Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett in the 3rd round of the 2011 draft. Mallett, considered a possible top 10 talent and the consensus best pro QB prospect in the draft, fell because of non-specific "character" concerns. It is unclear how long he will take to develop, and whether the Pats see him as a true alternative or possibie successor to Brady or just as a valuable developmental asset. But for the first time in a decade the possibility of a Pats team with a franchise QB other than Tom Brady is at least remotely conceivable.

Overall prognosis: As good as its ever been. Brady was in MVP form in 2011, and the presence of a young turk in town should only stir his competitive juices and spur him on to greater heights. Mallett and Hoyer are also the most solid backup option the Pats have had since Brady and Bledsoe were both on the team. Add in some new weapons and improved protection up front, and the outlook should be extremely favorable.

RB

The Pats went into 2010 with Laurence Maroney, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and three 33+ year old veterans: Kevin Faulk, Sammie Morris, and the oft-injured Fred Taylor. It wasn't a particularly strong unit. Within the first few weeks of the season Taylor was injured again, Maroney was shipped off to Denver, Faulk sustained a season-ending injury, and the Pats had picked up a pint sized back from a Division II school who had been cut by the Jets. The results surpassed anyone's expectations as "Law Firm" ran over over 1000 yards and Danny Woodhead became a fan favorite and tremendous all-purpose offensive weapon.

With Faulk, Morris and Taylor all FAs and their return questionable, and BJGE a RFA, the long term situation at RB was somewhat up in the air. The Pats attacked the position aggressively in the 2011 draft, spending a 2nd round pick on Cal all-purpose slasher Shane Vereeen and a 3rd on LSU bruiser Stevan Ridley. Both were considered reaches by some, but the Pats seem quite high on both prospects. Ridley gives the Pats a clock-killing pounder who they have not had since Corey Dillon. Vereeen could develop into a 3-down back in time, though he will probably be used in a Kevin Faulk kind of role initially.

Overall prognosis: Optimistic. The Pats now have 4 talented young backs to implement their RBBC committee approach. BJGE and Danny Woodhead have a full season under their belt and a solid understanding of the offense. Vereen and Ridley should complement them well, provide fresh legs, integrate well into the passing attack, and provide depth in case of injury. While the labor situation may limit the ability of rookies to learn the playbook, RB is generally one of the easier positions for rookies to make an impact, and I'm sure the Pats will find a way to work the rookies into the rotation.

WR

The Pats unexpectedly overhauled the WR position during 2010, trading Randy Moss after game 4 and acquiring Deion Branch from Seattle. Many people felt that the lack of a vertical receiving threat would cripple the offense, but it thrived on a ball-control short-intermediate system in which Brady focused on finding the open man. Deion Branch was reinvigorated and had his best season since 2005. Wes Welker made a miraculous recovery from his late 2009 ACL injury; he should be 100% recovered for 2011, and is in a contract year. Brandon Tate showed flashes, though he did not make quite as much progress as many hoped. Julian Edelman shined in the preseason but played a much more limited role than expected. And rookie Taylor Price had mostly a red shirt year to learn the offense. The TEs largely filled the void. Unfortunately, the playoff game against the Jets raised all of the original concerns after the Moss trade about the limitations of an offense without a vertical passing attack. A stretch the field WR was considered a prime need by many, but was ignored by the team in the 2011 draft.

Overall prognosis: Fairly solid. Welker, Branch, Tate and Price give the Pats 4 talented players at the position. The fact that BB passed on a WR in the draft suggests that he has confidence in Tate's and Price's progress, or that he sees the need being addressed in other ways. A veteran FA signing is a possibility. Mike Sims-Walker and Brad Smith may be available; a big name like Sidney Rice seems like a long shot. It's even remotely possible that Randy Moss could be brought back. The other option is that Aaron Hernandez will be used more as a flanker to stretch the field.

TE

This position has been completely rebuilt. The Pats ended 2009 with Ben Watson and Chris Baker. They signed veteran Alge Crumpler, who became a team captain and provided both leadership and tremendous physicality and blocking. And they surprisingly turned the offense over to rookies Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, who became unique weapons. Gronk added a physical presence and unstoppable red zone threat who produced 42 receptions for 546 yards and 10 TDs. Hernandez created mismatches all over the field and produced 45 receptions for 563 yards and 6 TDs, though his effectiveness in the second half of the season was limited by a hip injury. The Pats used multiple TE sets considerably more than any other team in the NFL. The addition of 5th round pick Lee Smith from Marshall in the 2011 draft suggests that they plan to rely even more on the TE position, and perhaps use Hernandez more as a vertical threat and H-back than an in-line TE.

Overall prognosis: Sky high. Probably the best unit in the NFL, which should only get better with the addition of another bruising blocker in Lee Smith. The Pats will use the TEs as the "queen on the chessboard" as characterized by Mike Smith, and will run the offense through the position.

OT

The OL performed admirably again in 2010, ranking among the top units in the NFL. Matt Light anchored the LT position and Sebastian Vollmer stayed at RT, where he is arguably the best in the NFL. Nick Kaczur was lost to IR for the season, but the addition of Quin Ojinnaka from Atlanta combined with veteran Mark LeVoir provided adequate backup. In an intriguing move, the team signed converted TE Steve Maneri to the practice squad. Maneri, a 6'7" 270# mauler, offers considerable upside at tackle and could be a real contributor in 2011 or 2012.

The long term outlook entering 2011 was somewhat murky. Matt Light is a FA, and will turn 34; he has professed a desire to return if the terms are right. Nick Kaczur is coming off IR; there are rumors the team wants him to take a major salary reduction, and that he will refuse to do so. Finding a long term successor to one of the tackle positions was clearly a major priority. The ability of Sebastian Vollmer to play either tackle position meant that the Pats could find either an LT or RT. They managed to find both in the 2011 draft, selecting Colorado LT Nate Solder with the #17 selection and snatching up TCU mammoth Marcus Cannon in the 5th round after he fell due to lymphoma issues. Cannon offers flexibility at guard as well as tackle, and was considered a 1st/2nd round talent by most.

Overall prognosis: Terrific for the long term. Still not 100% settled for 2011. Nate Solder has almost unlimited potential at LT, and could end up being a Joe Thomas/Ryan Clady kind of talent to pair with Sebastian Vollmer. The fact that BB and Dante Scarnecchia were so high on Solder speaks volumes. He appears to have some work to do before being NFL-ready, but Scar worked wonders with Vollmer in 2009. It is likely that Solder won't start the 2011 season, and it's still quite possible that Matt Light could be brought back, or that Nick Kaczur could play RT while Vollmer mans LT under Solder is ready. Quin Ojinnaka is also a FA, but could be brought back at reasonable cost. If Steve Maneri develops, the Pats could have an amazing rotation of Solder-Vollmer as starting OTs and LeVoir-Maneri as backups.

OG/C

The interior OL position for 2010 was thrust into turmoil by the contract situation with Logan Mankins, which exploded when Mankins refused to sign his RFA tender and blasted the organization. That prompted a move to OG for Nick Kaczur, who then had back surgery and ended up on IR. Dan Connolly performed admirably in Mankins' absence at LG for 8 games, but Mankins' return week 9 clearly gave the offense a tremendous boost. Connolly then performed admirably again at RG when Stephen Neal got injured. Dan Koppen struggled somewhat at center and appears to be on the downside of his career. Quin Ojinnaka provided some decent depth, and youngsters Rich Ohrnberger and Ryan Wendell got some playing time and showed some promise.

The situation entering 2011 was quite up in the air. Stephen Neal retired. Logan Mankins received a franchise tender, but his FA status is up in the air with the current labor situation. Nick Kaczur is coming off of IR, and may also be a contract casualty. Quin Ojinnaka is a FA and can't be re-signed until the labor situation is resolved. That left Dan Koppen and Dan Connolly (both in a contract year) and youngsters Ohrnberger and Wendell at the position. The selection of TCU OL Marcus Cannon in the 2011 draft provides a major boost here. Cannon will likely be moved to RG. He is undergoing chemotherapy for Non-Hodgkins' lymphoma but should be finished in time for training camp. He could be put on PUP or IR for 2011, but is likely to emerge as the long term successor to Stephen Neal at RG by 2012.

Overall prognosis: The most uncertain position on offense. Too many question marks - Logan Mankins' contract status, Nick Kaczur's recovery and contract status, Marcus Cannon's lymphoma recovery, Quin Ojinnaka's contract status, and the development of Wendell and Ohrnberger. Scar always seems to work miracles, but for 2011 this may be the Achilles' heel of the offense.

III. Prognosis

From a personnel perspective, the overall prognosis on offense is very good for 2011 and beyond. BB seems to be attempting to address aging veteran issues before they reach critical status, as opposed to what happened with the defense a few years ago. The TE and RB position have been completely turned over. The OT situation is largely set, and should be solid for 2011 if Matt Light is re-signed. The QB position has better depth than ever. There is a strong nucleus at WR, with at most one major addition to be made to fill out the position for the long term. The interior OL is really the only area of the team which is a major question mark going into 2011, and for the future.

From a coaching perspective, Bill O'Brien showed considerable maturity and development in his second year, and should have more confidence as the official OC. I think that we will see him start to really put his stamp on the offense.

From a schematic perspective, it appears that the coaching staff is again looking at making significant changes for 2011, building on what was started in 2010. All signs suggest that these changes will involve bolstering the running game and becoming more physical and smashmouth. The 2011 draft certainly supports this theory. I'm guessing that the 2011 offense will be more balanced and less predictable than any since 2008, or even 2004. Ultimately, better balance and better predictability should help the Pats when the going gets tough. Mike Mayock recently summarized these changes:

"I look at this draft as 'Watch out, NFL, this team is going to be able to run the football also," he said. "I like what they did with the offensive line. Nate Solder, who I think is a little bit underpowered and I also think he has some technique issues, that will get cleaned up with Dante Scarnecchia. When you plug Marcus Cannon in, a [fifth-round] pick who was a first- or second-round talent, and all of a sudden this offensive line looks completely different down the road. With the addition of Lee Smith, people are going 'Why did he take another tight end after taking two last year?' The answer is pretty simple: [Aaron] Hernandez is really a move guy that teams treat like a wide receiver. They felt like they needed another in-line 'Y'.

So at the end of the day, you have Tom Brady, you've got the vertical pass attack, you've got Wes Welker, but now with those two running backs, the revamped offensive line, they can pound the football whenever they want."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4695829/after-draft-patriots-can-pound-it

I'm pretty excited.

What, no analysis of the place kicker?

Having Gostkowski back can only help the offense (and the defense, too).

What, no analysis of the place kicker?

Having Gostkowski back can only help the offense (and the defense, too).

That goes in the forthcoming Special Teams thread. :toast:

A very balanced assessment of the offense, MC. The weakest link for now appears to be the OL because of the question marks posed by Light's FA and Mankins' refusal thus far to sign his tender. Revamping the left side of the OL won't be an easy task, even for Dante.

If Light and Mankins are both lost, we may be looking at something like this.

early in the year.
Kaczur Connolly Koppen Orhnberger Vollmer with
Solder Wendell _______Austin LeVoir/Kaczur as backups.

Later, Solder and Kaczur could change places and perhaps, a little later still and with a lot of good fortune, Cannon could spell Orhnberger. By the playoffs the OL could look like this with power to the right and more finesse to the left. I can't remember a time when BB had such an unbalanced OL but many teams are that way on purpose and it works for them.

Solder Connolly Koppen Cannon Vollmer

If Kaczur is also lost to contract squabbles, Solder is on the firing line right away. He's a good hard working kid and Dante already worked miracles with Vollmer. It's not out of the realm of possibility. It's also possible this has been BB's plan from the start.

The Light, Mankins and Kaczur situations concern me but I like the flexibility a returning Light and/or Mankins gives.

A very balanced assessment of the offense, MC. The weakest link for now appears to be the OL because of the question marks posed by Light's FA and Mankins' refusal thus far to sign his tender. Revamping the left side of the OL won't be an easy task, even for Dante.

If Light and Mankins are both lost, we may be looking at something like this.

early in the year.
Kaczur Connolly Koppen Orhnberger Vollmer with
Solder Wendell _______Austin LeVoir/Kaczur as backups.

Later, Solder and Kaczur could change places and perhaps, a little later still and with a lot of good fortune, Cannon could spell Orhnberger. By the playoffs the OL could look like this with power to the right and more finesse to the left. I can't remember a time when BB had such an unbalanced OL but many teams are that way on purpose and it works for them.

Solder Connolly Koppen Cannon Vollmer

If Kaczur is also lost to contract squabbles, Solder is on the firing line right away. He's a good hard working kid and Dante already worked miracles with Vollmer. It's not out of the realm of possibility. It's also possible this has been BB's plan from the start.

The Light, Mankins and Kaczur situations concern me but I like the flexibility a returning Light and/or Mankins gives.

Kaczur at LT scares the sh*t out of me. I think it's more likely in that scenario that Vollmer moves to the left size and Kaczur covers the right until Solder is ready. For that reason, and given the rumors of the team wanting Kaczur to take a big pay cut, I'm guessing that it's more likely that Kaczur gets cut and Light gets a 1-2 year extension to cover the left side while Solder develops. That would allow Vollmer to stay on the right side, and Brady to stay alive.

On the first day of the draft, BoB specifically stated that NE was going to give their offense a major overhaul. Aside from the obvious, I'm sure some of it goes back to games like Indy, when the offense had two seperate chances to put the game out of reach at the end and failed both times. I'm not sure what they have up their sleeves, but if it means running out the clock like Dillon did against the Jets back in 2004, I'm all for it.

IMO, C is a big target for the 2012 draft or even FA this year. I was actually impressed with Koppen for most of last year, but that final Jet game was like reliving a nightmare. He just isn't strong enough anymore and gets shoved back into Brady far too easily.

It's even remotely possible that Randy Moss could be brought back.

God, I hope not.

On the first day of the draft, BoB specifically stated that NE was going to give their offense a major overhaul. Aside from the obvious, I'm sure some of it goes back to games like Indy, when the offense had two seperate chances to put the game out of reach at the end and failed both times. I'm not sure what they have up their sleeves, but if it means running out the clock like Dillon did against the Jets back in 2004, I'm all for it.

IMO, C is a big target for the 2012 draft or even FA this year. I was actually impressed with Koppen for most of last year, but that final Jet game was like reliving a nightmare. He just isn't strong enough anymore and gets shoved back into Brady far too easily.

Dan Connolly could also potentially move to center after this year, where he provides more beef up front than Koppen. Rich Ohrnberger's development will also be closely watched by the coaching staff - they liked him enough to trade up into the 4th round for him in 2009, and Gosselin had him as the #80 ranked prospect in that draft.

But otherwise, drafting a center in 2012 seems very likely. It looks like it will be the best center class in recent memory, with 4-5 guys who are better prospects than anyone this year (I don't consider Mike Pouncey a center). Mike Brewster, Peter Konz, Ben Jones, plus a couple of other guys.

God, I hope not.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting to compare the 2011 offense with how things looked a year ago:

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=56541

All in all, things look better:

- QB: Brady in 2010 was coming off an erratic 2009 year and some people questioned whether he would ever return to his pre-injury form. He also was in a contract year, and some in the media predicted he could hold out. The contract was resolved in July and he is signed through 2014, and is coming off an MVP season which ranks up with 2007 as his best. Brian Hoyer looks like a solid backup, and Ryan Mallett is the potential future franchise QB that the team has never had. Advantage 2011.

-RB: The 2009 running attack produced decent numbers but disappeared for large stretches. Going into 2010 Laurence Maroney was the lead back, and many people did not have confidence in him. Kevin walk was old reliable, but was 33 and in a contract year, and both Sammie Morris and Fred Taylor were geriatric by RB standards and banged up. BJGE was an unproven backup journeyman. A year later BJGE ran for 1000 yards and 13 TDs, Danny Woodhead has emerged as an all-purpose threat, and there are fresh new legs on the roster. Advantage 2011.

-WR: Going into 2010 Randy Moss was in a contract year and disgruntled, Wes Welker was coming of an ACL injury and expected to start the year on PUP and possibly miss all of 2010, Brandon Tate was essentially a rookie, and Taylor Price was a new draftee starting late. Many people hoped Torry Holt would provide leadership and stability. A year later Moss is gone (addition by subtraction) and while the offense lacks a clear deep threat the WRs were productive in 2010. Deion Branch is back, Welker made a miraculous recovery from his ACL tear and should be 100% for 2011, and Tate and Price should continue to improve. Advantage 2011.

-TE: Going into 2010 the team was starting over at the TE position with a 30+ veteran and two rookies. A year later we have the best TE group in the NFL and have added another mauler in Lee Smith. Advantage 2011.

- OT: The Pats went into 2010 with Matt Light in a contract year and uncertainty about whether Sebastian Vollmer would end up at LT or RT. A year later we have long term bookends in Vollmer and rookie Nate Solder, and a promising backup in Steve Maneri. OTOH, the LT position for 2011 is still a bit murky. Advantage 2011 for the long term, 2010 for the immediate term.

- OG/C" Going into 2010 Logan Mankins was an RFA but was expected to sign a long term extension or his RFA tender. Stephen Neal had come back for one more year. Dan Koppen was trending towards the downside of his career. Dan Connolly was largely unproven, and there was a long line of totally unproven youngsters. A year later the Mankins situation is still unresolved, Neal is retired, Connolly exceeded everyone's expectations, and there is some long term hope at RG in rookie Marcus Cannon. 2010 and 2011 essentially even.

All things considered, the Pats offense looks much stronger at this point than it did going into 2010, and much better situated for the long term.

QB. Not to quibble but I don't really see TB having an advantage in 2011. Brady had an outlier year regarding ints last year. It was outstanding. But he was lucky, too. There's bound to be some regression to the norm this year. To expect that again isn't realistic. Mallett will only carry the board.

RB. With 2 newcomers the advantage comes down to training camp being long enough but since Faulk was lost early and the bucket list guys did nothing I'll give this an even score early and advantage 2011 after 3-4 weeks.

WR. I agree.
TE. I agree.

OT. Not knowing about Light and Kaczur despite the addition I can't say advantage 2011 unless Light returns and training camp is normal. Solder needs work. I think advantage 2011 is optimistic unless Light stays.

OG/OC too much up in the air with Mankins. Neal gone. Cannon going through chemo. Cannon needs some work if he even plays this yr. Even would be lucky I think. If Mankins leaves --> Advantage 2010.

God, I hope not.

If we have a balanced attack and Moss can be content to run routes no matter if he's the target or not, then he could be a nice weapon for big plays on far limited opportunities.

After being humbled last year could he do it?

Maybe.

And it probably wouldn't cost much to try it.

If we have a balanced attack and Moss can be content to run routes no matter if he's the target or not, then he could be a nice weapon for big plays on far limited opportunities.

After being humbled last year could he do it?

Maybe.

And it probably wouldn't cost much to try it.

As far as I can tell, the options for WR are:

1. Go with what we've got: Welker, Branch, Tate, Price, Edelman and Slater. Hope that Tate and Price continue to develop and provide some vertical threat. Use the TEs and RBs to supplement the WRs.

2. Add a UDFA. I've suggested Ricardo Lockette, who certainly has stretch the field speed and nice size.

3. Add a FA WR. The options include Sidney Rice (probably too expensive), Braylon Edwards (can't see it), Mike Sims-Walker, and possibly Brad Smith. Or Moss.

A contrite Moss who wants to rehab his image and is willing to shut up and be a decoy wouldn't be the worst option. I'm not saying we should try to do it, but it's not totally out of the question.

1. Go with what we've got: Welker, Branch, Tate, Price, Edelman and Slater. Hope that Tate and Price continue to develop and provide some vertical threat. Use the TEs and RBs to supplement the WRs.

2. Add a UDFA. I've suggested Ricardo Lockette, who certainly has stretch the field speed and nice size.

3. Add a FA WR. The options include Sidney Rice (probably too expensive), Braylon Edwards (can't see it), Mike Sims-Walker, and possibly Brad Smith. Or Moss.

A contrite Moss who wants to rehab his image and is willing to shut up and be a decoy wouldn't be the worst option. I'm not saying we should try to do it, but it's not totally out of the question.

I have hope for Tate because he showed some things last year, Price is a complete unknown. Welker is a complete under possession guy which is good, we need that. Who knows what Branch will be or will not be. Lockett will go the way that Price did last year probably. It would not hurt to get another kind of receiver. Walker...eh...the only reason for Moss to me is that I could wear my 175 dollar jersey again.

Cal OC Ron Gould looks at Shane Vereen:

How would you characterize Shane as a running back?: "The guy that stands out to me [as a comparison] when it comes to style of play is Marshall Faulk. He can run between the tackles and be physical inside. He has the ability to pass-protect on third down. He can catch the ball as a wide receiver, or coming out of the backfield. He can be an every-down guy and is the type of player who is going to rise to the occasion with the opportunity to compete. He has that competitive spirit. He's already a talented young man, but the thing that separates him from a lot of guys is his work ethic and that he's smart. He understands football, so he'll adjust to things because of his football IQ."

What were some of the biggest questions NFL coaches and scouts had for you on Shane?: "His size. They look at him on film and he might look small. But you see him in person, he's a lot thicker than people think he is, a lot stronger than people think he is -- he's a 380 bencher, he power cleans well over 330, and is almost a 475 squatter. He's a lot stronger than people think and a lot bigger than people think [5-10 1/4, 210 pounds]."

Was there one performance that stands out in your mind during his career at Cal? : "There were a lot of them, but one that comes to mind was when we were playing Stanford when he was a sophomore. He carried the ball 42 times. Somebody asked me after the game if I knew how many carries he had and I said 'Maybe 25, 30 max.' It was 42. I could not believe it, but it was a day where he willed us to victory with his heart, passion and desire -- that competitive spirit he has inside of him."

Are there any stories that stand out from the time you were recruiting him?:</STRONG> "I thought he's be going to UCLA because when I walked into his high school's office, all I saw was UCLA; I think his wife was an assistant coach there. So I was thinking 'Oh my goodness, he's probably going there.' But we were able to cultivate a great relationship. I remember him running track on Fridays and then he'd drive north to my office and we would meet on Saturdays. If we had Junior Day, he was always there. He would visit campus to see what was going on, and that said a lot about him. Once I got to meet his family, you could see how supportive his parents were. I knew right away from talking to his mom that if there was any problem, she would nip it in the bud. When you talk about Shane's character, he's the type of guy that if you had a daughter, you'd want him to marry her. That's the highest compliment."

What did you see from Shane when it came to handling adversity?: "When Shane came in as a freshman, he had pulled his quad a little bit and didn't have that snap in his legs that I was used to seeing. So I told him we were going to redshirt him, because he wasn't ready to go yet. He was not happy with him. The one thing I told him was 'If you're upset, the one thing I want you to do is come talk to me about it.' He did just that. He let me know how he felt, we talked through it, and I thought that spoke to his maturity. I don't think many kids would that; the easier route would be to pout and go through the entire year upset."

What should New England followers know most of all about Shane?: "He's an unbelievable kid. He could be an ace for an organization. He'll never embarrass the organization. He's just a tremendous character guy, a tremendous athlete. I'm very passionate about the guy."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../id/4695868/learning-more-about-shane-vereen

Nate Solder's position coach said that Solder was the kind of guy he'd want his daughter to marry. Hmmm .... I sense a trend here. Not just team captains, but matrimonial material.

MC...GREAT breakdown. If I had a management job at The Globe I would consider offering you a job!

I hope to God it is, in fact, "totally out the question".

Back