Looking At The Patriots - 2012

The Gr8est

"It's time to shut up, Fat Boy!"
Reaction score
I think it's time to continue with chevs454's "Looking At The Patriots - 2011" with a new version for the 2012 season. This is a thread to discuss various items relating to the Pats' 2012 season now that 2011 has been put to bed.

I'll start with an upbeat article on Brandon Spikes, and how encouraged we Pats fans should be now that it looks like he may be becoming the MLB we were hoping he could be.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220215spikes_hyped-up_for_12/

"When the Patriots [team stats] drafted Brandon Spikes two years ago, the hype machine was on overdrive, churning out all kinds of appealing tidbits about the University of Florida linebacker.

Naturally, we were told he was a steal in the second round. And while he may have been slow of foot at the scouting combine, he had skills and instincts that were rare and couldn’t be taught. That would make up for any lack of foot speed.

We were also told he was a ferocious hitter, who, combined with Jerod Mayo, would give the Patriots a dynamic 1-2 punch at linebacker for many years to come.

Those potential benefits were certainly attractive when you consider a defense undergoing a transformation. But during the past season, it was hard to imagine Spikes living up to any of his advanced billing. It was much easier believing he was headed out the door, a victim of unrealized potential.

Only, the pendulum has swung. His postseason performance, the Super Bowl in particular, rekindled many of those initial hopes for Spikes.

The hyped-up storylines? They’re all back in play as the Patriots hit the offseason and ponder how to improve the defense.

Spikes missed seven of the last eight regular season games with a knee injury. He returned for the final regular season game against Buffalo, and his impact was immediate. You could see a difference in the attitude of the unit alone. He brought a toughness and enthusiasm that lifted the defense right into the playoffs."

Chung and Spikes both bring that attitude & juice good defenses need.
It was funny someone asked Spikes on Twitter recently how fast his Combine 40 was and he said "very very slow". LOL

Spikes is a beast. His play in the playoffs has given me a solid return on my investment in him as my boo.

The game at Baltimore as it stands now is the only questionable affair for 2012.

Reiss' idea for a contract for WW.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4717853/crafting-a-welker-deal-for-both-sides

Crafting a Welker deal for both sides
February, 16, 2012
FEB 16
11:00
AM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Mike Reiss
In January of 2010, when negotiations between the Patriots and defensive lineman Vince Wilfork on a long-term contract extension were about to heat up, the situation was viewed from an independent perspective to "craft a contract that worked for both sides."

Now, the idea is to do the same with the Patriots and receiver Wes Welker.

Term: 4 years (Through 2015)

Total value: $34.5 million

Guarantees and bonuses: $22 million (The most important part of any deal)

How the numbers were computed: Much like Vince Wilfork’s situation, this is a challenging negotiation because there is no true comparable to Welker. He is a unique receiver. He’s more than a slot guy (e.g. 99-yard TD catch-and-run vs. Miami), but it wouldn’t be accurate to refer to him as a pass-catcher who consistently threatens the deep part of the field. No receiver has caught more passes over the last five years, but at the same time, some of those catches are glorified running plays closer to the line of scrimmage. The two contracts that help provide a general negotiating ballpark are Brandon Marshall (5 years, $56 million, $25 bonuses/guarantees) and Santonio Holmes (5 years, $45 million, with $22.5 bonuses/guarantees). The proposed deal also factors in franchise tag leverage that seems to give the Patriots the upper hand.

Benefits of extension for Patriots: Instead of using the $9.4 million franchise tag this year, and then possibly using it at a higher figure on Welker in 2013 (potentially $11.28 million), this four-year pact helps spread the money over time and lowers Welker’s salary cap charges. That’s a double victory – freeing up money to sign other players and keeping your most productive receiver who shows no signs of slowing down.

Benefits of extension for Welker: He more than doubles his money today ($22 million in bonuses/guarantees) when compared to the franchise tag ($9.4 million on one-year term). He also shifts the risk back to the team side that he will remain healthy, and continues to work with quarterback Tom Brady through the duration of Brady's own deal (2014).

Why this deal works for the Patriots: Part of the concern with Welker is age. He turns 31 on May 1 and it’s a challenge to project if he will still be at a top level in the final years of this deal, especially given some of the big hits he takes. So in exchange for a four-year term that includes the $22 million in bonuses/guarantees, Welker’s average per year ($8.625 million) falls below the Marshall and Holmes deals. That’s part of the compromise.

The 4-year, $34 deal ($22m guaranteed) for Wes Welker that Mike Reiss proposes is ...

7%
A great deal for the Patriots
9%
A great deal for Welker
84%
A fair compromise on both sides
(Total votes: 183)
Why this deal works for Welker: To lock in $22 million today, which is more than the total value of the 5-year deal Welker signed with the Patriots in 2007, is smart business. Yes, the average of $8.625 million per season is lower than deals for Marshall and Holmes, but those players were in their mid-20s when they signed those pacts. That's part of the compromise.

Conclusion: At the end of the day, the only way to fairly analyze the situation between Welker and the Patriots is to know the answers to the following questions: 1) What are the Patriots willing to offer? 2) What is Welker looking for in a long-term deal? Until those answers come to light, it is challenging to come to a conclusion one way or the other. So in this case, my feeling is that this would be a fair middle ground. If the Patriots aren’t willing to go there, they should soften their stance. If Welker is seeking more, he should soften his stance.

What scares me is some team thinking Welker is going to get them 120 catches and they throw 10 mil a year at him, that worries me, the chargers are really interested in him and are not looking to resign Jackson and then you have teams like Cincy who are like 40 mil under the cap.

I think Welker would definitely appreciate a contract like that, especially the 4 year part.

Why do so many Fans fall in love with Goldson?
Many experts dont like him ...

Dashon Goldson, FS, 49ers. Age: 27.
star.gif
star.gif
halfstar.gif

There are a lot of posts about Dashon Goldson in the comment board below, so I'll address this ranking. Goldson stinks in coverage. That's why I initially put him at 1.5 stars, but you could argue two or 2.5 because of his ability against the run. Of the safeties who have played 800-plus snaps this year, he's surrendered the eighth-highest completion percentage. He allowed four touchdowns this year (tied for fifth among safeties) despite the amazing front seven he has in front of him. He's tied for sixth in penalties among safeties this year. If he played behind a mediocre front seven, he would be exposed. Those who just look at stats and Pro Bowl voting might think Goldson is great, but he's just a backup at best. (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012S.php)

Why do so many Fans fall in love with Goldson?
Many experts dont like him ...

Dashon Goldson, FS, 49ers. Age: 27.
star.gif
star.gif
halfstar.gif

There are a lot of posts about Dashon Goldson in the comment board below, so I'll address this ranking. Goldson stinks in coverage. That's why I initially put him at 1.5 stars, but you could argue two or 2.5 because of his ability against the run. Of the safeties who have played 800-plus snaps this year, he's surrendered the eighth-highest completion percentage. He allowed four touchdowns this year (tied for fifth among safeties) despite the amazing front seven he has in front of him. He's tied for sixth in penalties among safeties this year. If he played behind a mediocre front seven, he would be exposed. Those who just look at stats and Pro Bowl voting might think Goldson is great, but he's just a backup at best. (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012S.php)

Walter Football has his own ideas about what makes a great player. Look at his player draft rankings and you'll see quickly that his rankings take on a personality of their own. He also has a 'value' ranking which is even more weird.

PFF says Goldson is the 6th best FA S on the market. Those ahead of him in their rankings are (The more negative the better for defensive players):
1. Chris Harris, Det. -15.2 UFA
2. Sean Jones, TB -14.7
3. Steve Gregory, SD -11.3
4. Sabby Piscitelli, KC -9.2
5. Bryan Scott, BUFF -8.8
6. Goldson, SF -8.1

for reference:
Ihedigbo ranked -6.6
Meriweather ranked -3.2

So, Goldson isn't a world beater but he's better than what we have but not nearly as good those ranked 1, 2 & 3.
edit. Alan Dumonjic has more here:
He’s an instinctive safety that has good size and range to go with his athleticism. I expect many teams to covet him in a league that’s become far more pass-oriented, which is why he’ll likely be able to receive a big paycheck.
While his strengths bring a lot to a defense, he also has weaknesses, most notably the improper angles he takes, which can sometimes lead to big plays like Sproles’ 44-yard touchdown catch and run in the playoffs. This is something that he’ll have to improve going forward if he wants to become one of the league’s best at the position.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2012/...analyzing-49ers-free-agent-fs-dashon-goldson/

Spikes played very well at the end of the year in the playoffs. Very gratifying to see him come around that well after his preseason idiocy followed by injury. I was speaking to Mike Reiss about Spikes yesterday and he offered some eye opening info. He said BB has mentioned several times to reporters off the record that Spikes is more like Lawrence Taylor at the same age than any LB he's ever seen. Big hitter, tough, very quick to diagnose the play, aggression, athleticism and strength. I reckon he'll do.
:coffee:

Spikes played very well at the end of the year in the playoffs. Very gratifying to see him come around that well after his preseason idiocy followed by injury. I was speaking to Mike Reiss about Spikes yesterday and he offered some eye opening info. He said BB has mentioned several times to reporters off the record that Spikes is more like Lawrence Taylor at the same age than any LB he's ever seen. Big hitter, tough, very quick to diagnose the play, aggression, athleticism and strength. I reckon he'll do.

#POWwWwW

Not to mention the off fiel.......

Oh never mind, that's too easy!

It still annoys me that the media somehow dismissed missing Spikes and Chung for most of the year when evaluating the Pats defense. They shouldn't have been surprised at how well the "terrible" Pats' defense played in the playoffs with the addition of those two.

Now if only Ras-I could have stayed healthy....

I thought Spikes was wildly oversold earlier in his career and didn't do a great job finding the ball quickly enough, but I've changed my mind. The BB quote was an eye-opener, though.

My favorite Spikes signature move is the freight train where he flies in with a running start and blows up a guard and often the ballcarrier, too. He generates quite a head of steam and does it smartly for the most part.

He saved our bacon with that great interception vs. Baltimore. Definitely the finest moment of his career from a guy that is not supposed to be able to cover anybody. We lose that game without that play at that time.

I'm looking for big things for him in 2012, no doubt. He's put himself on the map and his future looks good.

Aside from Spikes, one thing I'd love to see from free agency that I haven't seen mentioned is to sign Brent Grimes from Atlanta for corner. There is a good chance they franchise him, but if they don't then we should make a run at him. One of the most underrated corners in the league and he is in his prime (29). I'm sure the Pats are well aware of what he could mean for our defense. He's been Atlanta's best defensive player for about 4 years.

It still annoys me that the media somehow dismissed missing Spikes and Chung for most of the year when evaluating the Pats defense.
What pissed me off is how the Pats had 10 OL changes (who else was down to their 4th option at C at one point????), Pitt had 9 but the media always cries about POOR BEN HE HAS SUCH A CRAP OL AND TB IS SOOOO LUCKY. Really it should be "Scar is awesome ".

Nice read on Ivan Fears. I love stories about the guys who don't get much ink.

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/The-Business-of-Football/34e08dda-b733-4363-a500-a2e106219bd2

The Business of Football
By Michael Jurovaty
Posted 22 hours ago
READ
DISCUSS
Comments:
Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears recalls his journey from promising player to committed coach.
New England Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears did not know until college that he was destined to patrol the sidelines on Sundays. Until his senior year at William & Mary business major and running back planned to work in the banking industry once he graduated. That plan changed when Fears incurred a severe knee injury that cut short his playing career – an injury that turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Ivan Fears grew up in Suffolk, Va. rooting for the Washington Redskins and playing what Fears likes to call ‘sandlot football' with his neighborhood friends. "There was no opportunity to play organized football until high school," Fears recalled. "We played pickup games – sandlot ball around the neighborhood. We got after each other pretty good."

Fears' love for football was born in the sandlot but his commitment to it was fostered during the long, hot high school practices that can make or break one's devotion to the sport. He discovered a passion he had not yet experienced until playing organized football in high school. It was then he decided to be involved in football for as long as possible. "You really had to hunker down and commit to it. Somewhere along the line I figured out that I loved it," Fears said. Hunker down and commit he did.

After a successful high school career where Fears earned all-state honors and was twice named the school's Outstanding Player of the Year, he enrolled at William & Mary to play running back and major in business studies. Fears was a three-year letterman as a running back until he succumbed to injury during his junior year. In an instant, his playing career was over. "It all happened suddenly. When I hurt my knee, I blew it out bad enough that the doctor told me that was the end of my career as a player," Fears remembered.

But as quickly as one door closed, another opened. The following season, the William & Mary coaches asked him to stay on his senior year to work with the running backs. To Fears, a senior who could no longer play, the chance to try coaching came at an opportune time when he, like many students in their final year of college, was deciding which professional path to take. "I got a chance to work into coaching slowly because I was a student then and got to see if I wanted to do it," Fears articulated. "I was headed to banking. I was headed to business. I hadn't thought about coaching until I got that opportunity. I loved it. It was fun." Fears was soon tendered a position to coach the William & Mary wide receivers full time and when the offer came he jumped on it. Fears coached at William & Mary for four seasons until he accepted a position at Syracuse in 1980. He spent 11 years in western New York before joining the professional ranks with the Patriots.

Fears, currently on his second tour of duty as a Patriots coach, came on New England's staff in 1991 as the wide receivers coach. He coached the likes of great Patriots pass catchers Irving Fryar and Marv Cook for two seasons. His first stint with the Patriots came at a very different time in this franchise's history under a different owner, a different coach, and a in a different stadium. "[Foxboro Stadium] was a piece of work. That locker room situation… we came in at the end of a game and the locker room was flooded with the sewer. The stink was unbelievable."

With the stench of Foxboro Stadium's locker room fresh in his mind, Fears accepted a position with the Chicago Bears in 1993 to coach wide receivers, where he remained for six seasons until his return in 1999. A year after he returned to the Patriots, Bill Belichick was brought in to take the Patriot reins and right the ship. Fears was immediately challenged once Belichick came through the doors. "Early on he had me swimming mentally. I was challenged by the way he did things and how hard he worked. He works the coaches as hard as he works the players."

Fears earned his first Super Bowl ring as the Patriots wide receivers coach in 2001 before moving to his current position supervising the running backs beginning in 2002. He has ascertained in his time with New England that small things can make a big difference. "I think I learned from [Bill Belichick] more important than anything else is that there is no end to what you can get done. The smallest thing can pay off at the end. Everything is important. I've been very fortunate to hang with him and see myself grow with him through the years."

Thirty-six seasons after Ivan Fears last buckled his chinstrap, he still brings the same fire and passion that he once used in the neighborhood sandlot games. Fears subscribes to a simple philosophy when it comes to reaching his players. "I always wanted to be very honest with my players," Fears said. "When they see me, I want them to hear what the truth is. I always thought that was important. I was fortunate to be around guys like that and I want to be the same with the guys I coach now."

It is clear that Coach Fears has carved himself a niche in New England since returning to Foxborough in 1999. He has earned three Super Bowl rings and shows no signs of slowing down. At work out at practice or on the field during the game, he looks comfortable. Even in his free time he knows how to wind down. "Give me a stogie [cigar] and a golf club and here we go," Fears opined. "I like to get out and play some golf. I'm not very good at it, but I like it. It doesn't matter where I'm hitting it as long as I'm out there." Patriots fans better hope he does not quit his day job.

What pissed me off is how the Pats had 10 OL changes (who else was down to their 4th option at C at one point????), Pitt had 9 but the media always cries about POOR BEN HE HAS SUCH A CRAP OL AND TB IS SOOOO LUCKY. Really it should be "Scar is awesome ".

Ben basically is not the best at making fast decisions with the football, his game relies on running around until the receivers get open, so he is going to make an oline look worse than it is, and is also going to take a ton of sacks.

But even with more changes, that doesn't mean we still didn't have a better OL. The Niners went to Steve Young when Montana was out in 1992, and he won MVP. It would've been stupid to say that SF should've been mentioned with teams struggling with QB play from their backup along with Detroit with Peete and Ware.

Our OL was good. We had depth, so why would we be mentioned in the conversation with a Pittsburgh, who did have a sieve-like OL?

Back