Looking At The Patriots - 2012

PFF talks about the Pats O, Brady's tendencies, how teams are adjusting by packing the middle against the Pats, our poor running game vs nickel and how BB will likely counter.

Good article with many photos to prove their points. Midgar will like this article (and so do I).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/12/patriots-offense-room-to-improve/

The decline in run-blocking seems pretty easy to diagnose. The Pats replaced Neal with Waters, whoase run-blocking abilities had been in decline for a couple seasons (according to knowledgeable KC fans). They also lost underrated run-blocker Koppen early and replaced him with Connolly. Connolly's run-blocking at guard had been pretty good, but the requirements at center are, of course, somewhat different. He did improve over the course of the season, though (IMHO) he never quite made it to Koppen's level, and his improvement was delayed by injury, during which time the subs, Wendell and McDonald were relatively poor even compared to Connolly.

I still maintain, though, that a significant piece of the Pats inability to run effectively was the limited abilities of the primary RBs - BGE and Woody. BGE works almost exclusively between the tackles and is rarely successful going outside (and doesn't run a lot of pass routes). Woody can get outside and can run quite a few routes, but isn't consistently successful between the tackles. So defenses can play the odds (even out of their nickel) as to what kind of running play is coming based on which RB is lined up in the backfield. Sure, sometimes they get burned with a BGE run to the outside (or catching a pass), or with Woody running between the guards, but there's no real lasting effect for the offense. It certainly seems to make play-action somewhat less effective.

This, of course, is where Ridley comes in (and, we hope, Vereen). Ridley appears to offer about 80%-90% of what both BGE and Woody can do - meaning that defenses shouldn't be able to key in on RB tendencies (at least, not as readily). So, assuming Ridley can correct his insecure ball-carrying habits, he should be able to improve the ground game which, in turn, should have a positive impact on play-action effectiveness, which, in turn, could make life a little easier for outside/deep passing targets.

The Pats could potentially bring back Alge Crumpler if healthy. They could also use Solder as a blocking TE on certain plays with Marcus Cannon playing RT and Vollmer on the left. Either way, Solder is our long term franchise LT, and not a 3rd TE.

As for Coby Fleener, I'd jump all over him at #48, but 31 is overpriced in my book. Of course I suggested picking up Dallas Clark as a FA, and Clark would offer short term a lot the versatility that Fleener would offer in a 3-TE set along with Gronk and Ahern.

There may be a few alternatives to Fleener anyway, depending on how "ready" they need a draftee to be in wk-1. I'm reading Dwayne Allen projected in the 3rd and Michael Egnew in the 4th/5th (NOT to the Pats, just in general). However, I'm thinking that after witnessing the success of Gronknandez for a couple seasons, for some teams nearly ANY TE who seems to be able to catch could be looking better than they actually are which may boost their draft stock by a half-round to a full round.

Seems to me there's also a slim possibility of adding a fullback who can run routes and catch well (and actually run the ball) to play some of the H-back role that Hernandez did this season. Evan Rodriguez seems to have a pretty good prospectus. And BB has kept Eric Kettani again, I see (Reserve/Future contract).

PFF talks about the Pats O, Brady's tendencies, how teams are adjusting by packing the middle against the Pats, our poor running game vs nickel and how BB will likely counter.

Good article with many photos to prove their points. Midgar will like this article (and so do I).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/12/patriots-offense-room-to-improve/

It was as if I wrote it....although I disagree that Brady was the 33rd best player in the NFL, thats a bit much.

There may be a few alternatives to Fleener anyway, depending on how "ready" they need a draftee to be in wk-1. I'm reading Dwayne Allen projected in the 3rd and Michael Egnew in the 4th/5th (NOT to the Pats, just in general). However, I'm thinking that after witnessing the success of Gronknandez for a couple seasons, for some teams nearly ANY TE who seems to be able to catch could be looking better than they actually are which may boost their draft stock by a half-round to a full round.

Seems to me there's also a slim possibility of adding a fullback who can run routes and catch well (and actually run the ball) to play some of the H-back role that Hernandez did this season. Evan Rodriguez seems to have a pretty good prospectus. And BB has kept Eric Kettani again, I see (Reserve/Future contract).

Kevin Boss just became available, too.

Ian Rappaport reporting that the Pats are interested in Seattles DL Red Bryant, had an excellent season last year and while he's not Mario most consider him a top FA this summer and he could easily play that LDE in the 3-4 and make an impact that we haven't had since Seymour left.

Ian Rappaport reporting that the Pats are interested in Seattles DL Red Bryant, had an excellent season last year and while he's not Mario most consider him a top FA this summer and he could easily play that LDE in the 3-4 and make an impact that we haven't had since Seymour left.

Heard that too.

While Mario is my runaway 1st choice, maybe Red signing allows us the cap space to pursue Finnegan as well.:shrug:

Don't know about that. I read that he is a beast against the run, but not much of a pass rusher. Only has 2 sacks in 23 games as a starter.

Don't know about that. I read that he is a beast against the run, but not much of a pass rusher. Only has 2 sacks in 23 games as a starter.

Looking at his sack numbers would be doing him an injustice IMO, much like Wilfork in our system, he wasn't asked to be the guy who got to the QB but the guy who occupied blockers so others could get the sacks. Him and Wilfork would give us a pretty good interior rush.

Looking at his sack numbers would be doing him an injustice IMO, much like Wilfork in our system, he wasn't asked to be the guy who got to the QB but the guy who occupied blockers so others could get the sacks. Him and Wilfork would give us a pretty good interior rush.

Red Bryant would be a huge addition, imo. He's a run buster who frees up every one behind him. Take him out of Seattle and watch him flourish.

I also like John Abraham DE who is getting up in age but he's been an elite pass rusher (top 5) for 4 years straight. He could rotate in for passing downs.

Carriker fits very well, too.

Kendall Langford is another one but he's just 26 and entering his prime. $$

Derek Landri and Luis Castillo are also worth a look.

Kyle Love got the exclusive rights tag from the Pats which will pay him $540K. An extension is expected before TC.
Hoyer at the 2nd round level, as expected.

All Pats reporters are saying they expect a deal with Brandon Lloyd to be signed today.
Red Bryant's name keeps coming up that Pats have strong interest.

Back