Looking at the Patriots - 2018

Well worth the read. Good points made throughout.

Rodgers and Brady, there’s a clear No. 1

Rodgers talks a very good game, but at his core, he is a selfish player. He’s quick to throw his teammates under the bus in one form or another. He gives digs when it comes to personnel and coaching choices. There’s being the highest-paid player in the league. He’s always been cognizant of his stats and plays to them, at least he did earlier in this career. Rodgers, at one point, was able to rattle off his passer rating to a gaggle of reporters. I had never heard of that before or since in my career.
Rodgers plays and conducts himself like he is his own kingdom. He just naturally thinks about himself first. It’s not necessarily a bad thing; that’s just who he is. But he is, like Brady, tough as hell. Rodgers played four seasons (three in college) with a torn ACL. He’s overcome multiple injuries. No one should question his toughness.
But, I’m sorry, when it comes to the quarterback position, I want someone who his naturally inclined to think of the team first. That’s not Rodgers. I’m not saying he’s not a team guy or like Favre — who dressed in his own room away from the locker room his final seasons in Green Bay. No, Rodgers is just different.
The best example I can give happened in the middle of 2009, Rodgers’ second season as the starter. Keep in mind that in 2008, he took over a team that had gone 13-3 the year before and came a Favre interception away from reaching the Super Bowl against the Patriots.
Rodgers and the Packers went 6-10. Not all of it was his fault — the defense wasn’t good. But it was largely the same team. That would not have happened under Brady (and probably not under Favre). After all, Brady took over a 5-11 team that started 0-2 in 2001, and proceeded to go 11-3 and win a Super Bowl.
Back to 2009. So the Packers, off a losing campaign post-Favre, come out and start 4-4 with the final loss being an embarrassing defeat against a Bucs team that was 0-7 entering the game.
Rodgers, at this point, is now 10-14 as a starter. Packers fans wanted everyone fired. Mike McCarthy. Ted Thompson. Most felt choosing Rodgers over Favre was a colossal mistake.
At this point, Rodgers’ offensive teammates had enough. Of Rodgers.
There was an offensive team meeting in the wake of that loss to the Bucs and while everyone was called to the carpet, Rodgers got it the worst. He was rightfully told he was holding onto the ball and partially responsible for a league-leading 37 sacks.
Rodgers has a tendency to play hero ball. Part of it has to do the blessing/curse part of being an athletic quarterback. There’s a fine line between making a play and giving up on one. Pocket quarterbacks like Brady don’t have to worry about that. It’s a very difficult part of the game to manage. Rodgers had gotten much better at it over the years, but he has bouts of prolonging a play to his team’s detriment because it plays to his inherent selfish side.
None of the above is in play with Brady, at least it wasn’t until this offseason of his discontent. (That’s why Brady’s decision to skip just about everything this offseason bothered me because it was probably the trait as a player I most admired about him, and I could no longer play that card in comparison to other top QBs.)
Brady is without peer when it comes to being a good teammate. Despite his status, he has completely subjugated himself to the team — and the team has benefited enormously.
If somebody else screws up, it’s very difficult to tell from Brady on and off the field.
Brady has worked with three different coordinators, a handful of QB coaches and never complained.
Bill Belichick has given Brady very little to work with at times at the receiver position, and the coach hasn’t helped things by giving Brady’s favorite targets the short end of the stick at the negotiating table. And Brady has left countless millions on the table for the team, especially in later years, which doesn’t exactly help his teammates, but it does the team.
And nobody, maybe in the history of football, is a more demanding coach than Belichick. Brady gets called out more than anyone in film sessions. Rodgers, at least when I was there, was constantly coddled by his coaches — which drove some of his teammates nuts and led to them calling Rodgers out personally in that team meeting.
Brady, to this day, is utter perfection when it comes to being a teammate and a team player. It’s probably unfair to compare Rodgers to Brady in this realm because I’m not sure Brady has a peer in NFL history.
But when it comes to comparing Rodgers to Brady and who I’d want leading my team, that’s why I’ll take Brady before every season until he hangs him up.
Rodgers is the talent coaches dream about. Brady is the realized dream when it comes to the face and leader of a franchise.
It’s Brady. It will always be Brady.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/11/04/bedard-covered-rodgers-brady-theres-clear-no-1/

Former Ravens LB Albert McClellan visited the Pats yesterday and I'm told an agreement has been reached.
6'2", 250lbs, he's been with the Ravens since 2010, signed as an UDFA out of Marshall. He was cut when Harbaugh added Ty Montgomery. Harbaugh wanted to bring him back but Pats.
Depth/Rotational guy. He can play inside or outside; good edge setter; strong against the run; very good STs player. PFF All Pro in 2014, he's a good solid, well-liked, team first kind of player.

Good signing imo.

Again, the genius of BB. We have a running back who is now 2nd in the AFC in receptions and a WR who has been tuned into a running back!

Stat of the day: RB James White’s 61 receptions are second in AFC (DeAndre Hopkins, 63) and tied for fourth in NFL with Odell Beckham and Zach Ertz (leaders are Adam Thielen, 78; Michael Thomas, 70).

Well worth the read. Good points made throughout.

Rodgers and Brady, there’s a clear No. 1

Rodgers talks a very good game, but at his core, he is a selfish player. He’s quick to throw his teammates under the bus in one form or another. He gives digs when it comes to personnel and coaching choices. There’s being the highest-paid player in the league. He’s always been cognizant of his stats and plays to them, at least he did earlier in this career. Rodgers, at one point, was able to rattle off his passer rating to a gaggle of reporters. I had never heard of that before or since in my career.
Rodgers plays and conducts himself like he is his own kingdom. He just naturally thinks about himself first. It’s not necessarily a bad thing; that’s just who he is. But he is, like Brady, tough as hell. Rodgers played four seasons (three in college) with a torn ACL. He’s overcome multiple injuries. No one should question his toughness.
But, I’m sorry, when it comes to the quarterback position, I want someone who his naturally inclined to think of the team first. That’s not Rodgers. I’m not saying he’s not a team guy or like Favre — who dressed in his own room away from the locker room his final seasons in Green Bay. No, Rodgers is just different.
The best example I can give happened in the middle of 2009, Rodgers’ second season as the starter. Keep in mind that in 2008, he took over a team that had gone 13-3 the year before and came a Favre interception away from reaching the Super Bowl against the Patriots.
Rodgers and the Packers went 6-10. Not all of it was his fault — the defense wasn’t good. But it was largely the same team. That would not have happened under Brady (and probably not under Favre). After all, Brady took over a 5-11 team that started 0-2 in 2001, and proceeded to go 11-3 and win a Super Bowl.
Back to 2009. So the Packers, off a losing campaign post-Favre, come out and start 4-4 with the final loss being an embarrassing defeat against a Bucs team that was 0-7 entering the game.
Rodgers, at this point, is now 10-14 as a starter. Packers fans wanted everyone fired. Mike McCarthy. Ted Thompson. Most felt choosing Rodgers over Favre was a colossal mistake.
At this point, Rodgers’ offensive teammates had enough. Of Rodgers.
There was an offensive team meeting in the wake of that loss to the Bucs and while everyone was called to the carpet, Rodgers got it the worst. He was rightfully told he was holding onto the ball and partially responsible for a league-leading 37 sacks.
Rodgers has a tendency to play hero ball. Part of it has to do the blessing/curse part of being an athletic quarterback. There’s a fine line between making a play and giving up on one. Pocket quarterbacks like Brady don’t have to worry about that. It’s a very difficult part of the game to manage. Rodgers had gotten much better at it over the years, but he has bouts of prolonging a play to his team’s detriment because it plays to his inherent selfish side.
None of the above is in play with Brady, at least it wasn’t until this offseason of his discontent. (That’s why Brady’s decision to skip just about everything this offseason bothered me because it was probably the trait as a player I most admired about him, and I could no longer play that card in comparison to other top QBs.)
Brady is without peer when it comes to being a good teammate. Despite his status, he has completely subjugated himself to the team — and the team has benefited enormously.
If somebody else screws up, it’s very difficult to tell from Brady on and off the field.
Brady has worked with three different coordinators, a handful of QB coaches and never complained.
Bill Belichick has given Brady very little to work with at times at the receiver position, and the coach hasn’t helped things by giving Brady’s favorite targets the short end of the stick at the negotiating table. And Brady has left countless millions on the table for the team, especially in later years, which doesn’t exactly help his teammates, but it does the team.
And nobody, maybe in the history of football, is a more demanding coach than Belichick. Brady gets called out more than anyone in film sessions. Rodgers, at least when I was there, was constantly coddled by his coaches — which drove some of his teammates nuts and led to them calling Rodgers out personally in that team meeting.
Brady, to this day, is utter perfection when it comes to being a teammate and a team player. It’s probably unfair to compare Rodgers to Brady in this realm because I’m not sure Brady has a peer in NFL history.
But when it comes to comparing Rodgers to Brady and who I’d want leading my team, that’s why I’ll take Brady before every season until he hangs him up.
Rodgers is the talent coaches dream about. Brady is the realized dream when it comes to the face and leader of a franchise.
It’s Brady. It will always be Brady.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/11/04/bedard-covered-rodgers-brady-theres-clear-no-1/

Good read, thanks for posting. Even though Bedard is a Boston guy, he brings up a lot of good points and the points about Rodgers' locker room presence seem to match what i thought he was like and what I have heard some of his teammate, former and present, have mentioned.

Given the sustained success of the Pats without any great named players in the past 18 years, really speaks to TB help to the team.

Not only the SB wins, but the fact that, outside of say '09-'11, the Pats we in the hunt and were predicted too, and actually did, make deep runs into Jan. essentially ever year for 18 years. For me this is the true mark of greatness.

Just saw that the Lions waived Ameer Abdullah. There's gotta be some talent in there somewhere that Fears could milk out right?

Good read, thanks for posting. Even though Bedard is a Boston guy, he brings up a lot of good points and the points about Rodgers' locker room presence seem to match what i thought he was like and what I have heard some of his teammate, former and present, have mentioned.

Given the sustained success of the Pats without any great named players in the past 18 years, really speaks to TB help to the team.

Not only the SB wins, but the fact that, outside of say '09-'11, the Pats we in the hunt and were predicted too, and actually did, make deep runs into Jan. essentially ever year for 18 years. For me this is the true mark of greatness.

I enjoyed it too. Bedard covered GB for 4-5 yrs during the transition from Favre until GB's SB win. He knows GB well and still talks regularly to the media members still covering the team.

Stephon Gilmore is a bona fide island.
His coverage stats
vs Hopkins 3/6 36 yards PBU INT
vs Watkins 2/4 18 yards PBU
vs Robinson 0/4 0 yards PBU
vs Adams 2/6 12 yards 2PBU
vs M. Jones 1/3 4 yards TD
vs Benjamin 2/7 45 Yards 2PBU
vs Indy 2/7 22 yards 3PBU
vs Jax 3/9 31 yards 2PBU TD
vs MIA 3/4 13 yards

I enjoyed it too. Bedard covered GB for 4-5 yrs during the transition from Favre until GB's SB win. He knows GB well and still talks regularly to the media members still covering the team.

Ah, i did not know that, then he has more insight on GB than i had thought.

Again, for me, Rodgers is a little overrated. He has garnered stats post 2008 and so his career stats are skewed. When i get some time want to gather stats of all the great QB who have played since 2008 and compare those numbers with Rodgers to get apples to apples

Stephon Gilmore is a bona fide island.
His coverage stats
vs Hopkins 3/6 36 yards PBU INT
vs Watkins 2/4 18 yards PBU
vs Robinson 0/4 0 yards PBU
vs Adams 2/6 12 yards 2PBU
vs M. Jones 1/3 4 yards TD
vs Benjamin 2/7 45 Yards 2PBU
vs Indy 2/7 22 yards 3PBU
vs Jax 3/9 31 yards 2PBU TD
vs MIA 3/4 13 yards

Glad that he is playing as billed. He had a few rough games in his first year, but good to see him come around to as hoped.

9PM on NFL Network Tuesday (tonight :coffee:)

BB is wired during the GB game.
This should be good.

BB the GM knows a little about building a roster with pick swaps for undervalued players.

He acquired Cordarrelle Patterson -- best KR average in NFL history -- by dropping 51 spots in the draft. The Pats didn't even lose a pick. The player selected at 159 (where NE traded out)(WR Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa) isn't on a 53-man roster. He also did a pick-swap for starting LT Trent Brown (moved down 48 spots), starting LB Kyle Van Noy (24 spots), starting WR Josh Gordon (fifth for a seventh), and DT Danny Shelton (3rd in 2019 for 5th in 2018). BB got Jason McCourty by trading a 7th rnd pick for a 6th rnd pick. Highway robbery on all 6. Add Dwayne Allen (moved down 63 picks by trading a 4th for a 6th) to the list of solid players acquired by swapping picks.

The pick they got from the Patterson trade turned into Braxton Berrios. The pick they got from the J-Mac trade turned into Etling. BB used the 143rd pick he got in the trade for TBrown to draft Ja’Whaun Bentley. So they got Brown and Bentley for the 95th overall pick. BB will also recoup the picks given up for Gordon (fifth) and Shelton (third) through compensatory picks if not re-signed.

The guy is a genius who prepares for the off season battles the same way he prepares for games. Unreal dedication to the game. Glad he's coach/GM of my team.

Yaay, it's Fouts and Eagle calling the game against the Titans.....I mean yaaaayy.

Fantastic.

BB the GM knows a little about building a roster with pick swaps for undervalued players.

He acquired Cordarrelle Patterson -- best KR average in NFL history -- by dropping 51 spots in the draft. The Pats didn't even lose a pick. The player selected at 159 (where NE traded out)(WR Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa) isn't on a 53-man roster. He also did a pick-swap for starting LT Trent Brown (moved down 48 spots), starting LB Kyle Van Noy (24 spots), starting WR Josh Gordon (fifth for a seventh), and DT Danny Shelton (3rd in 2019 for 5th in 2018). BB got Jason McCourty by trading a 7th rnd pick for a 6th rnd pick. Highway robbery on all 6. Add Dwayne Allen (moved down 63 picks by trading a 4th for a 6th) to the list of solid players acquired by swapping picks.

The pick they got from the Patterson trade turned into Braxton Berrios. The pick they got from the J-Mac trade turned into Etling. BB used the 143rd pick he got in the trade for TBrown to draft Ja’Whaun Bentley. So they got Brown and Bentley for the 95th overall pick. BB will also recoup the picks given up for Gordon (fifth) and Shelton (third) through compensatory picks if not re-signed.

The guy is a genius who prepares for the off season battles the same way he prepares for games. Unreal dedication to the game. Glad he's coach/GM of my team.

Try explaining that to the mediots.

Love to see it forwarded to Felger and listen to him try and tap dance thru the minefield. This is one of his constant gripes.

The Kyle Van Noy trade was terrific, too. BB traded down from No. 215 to No. 239 and acquired a starting LB with two years left on his rookie deal.

Mike Reiss‏Verified account @MikeReiss
DE Bruce Irvin to <s>@</s>vxmcclure23 after agreeing to terms with Falcons: “This was a dream [come] true. The Patriots and Steelers offered more money, but being able to play for my city and my people, you just can’t put a price on that.”

Interesting he chose Atl over a SB ring. :coffee:
his momma's home cooking is that good!!!

Plus the end is near, he is setting himself up to be a local sports personality.

I don't blame him of thinking long term.

Also, I don't believe for a minute the Patriots offered more money.

Back