Looking at the Patriots - 2019

The players association needs a player precisely like Gordon.

A player with a history of nonsensical suspensions for weed. Yet the league is at the ready to dispense opioids like Pez. Why? $. How much kick do you think Big Pharma is giving Ole Rog?

The players need a guy like Gordon. Someone to stand up and address his own challenges with anxiety and depression and the like. Someone capable of a teary eyed public address, stating how he knows his own demons and his struggles with them, and how an all natural remedy in marijuana helps him cope where an opioid alternative would likely lead to a death sentence.

Force the league publicly to give up this stance on what is not performance enhancing and legal everywhere with a Dr script.

Big pharma is big bidness...but, I agree.

Gilmore restructured contract. Nice saving this year on the cap, trasnferred then to the following years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stephon Gilmore contract restructure alters his salary-cap charges:<br><br>2019: $9.1 million (was $14.8m)<br>2020: $18.6 million (was $15.8m)<br>2021: $19.6 million (was $16.8m)<br><br>This is a good snapshot of shifting around money to create immediate space by increasing future cap hits.</p>— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1110585326773456896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 26, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BB drafts quality linemen like Green Bay and Pittsburgh find quality WRs.

WBZ | CBS Boston
34 mins ·
We know that after Antonio Brown shared audio of a phone conversation he had with agent Drew Rosenhaus during the process of trade negotiations. Rosenhaus revealed to Brown during that conversation that the Steelers had decided to ultimately come around and listen to offers from the Patriots.

BOSTON (CBS) — Throughout the course of the Antonio Brown trade saga, there were some mixed reports about whether the Steelers actually considered trading the receiver to the New England Patriots, who have dominated the AFC for the past decade. We now know that the mixed reports can be attributed to a change of philosophy in the Pittsburgh front office.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
We know that after Antonio Brown shared audio of a phone conversation he had with agent Drew Rosenhaus during the process of trade negotiations. Rosenhaus revealed to Brown during that conversation that the Steelers had decided to ultimately come around and listen to offers from the Patriots.

“The Patriots are in the mix. I put [Bill] Belichick in touch with [Steelers GM] Kevin Colbert today,” Rosenhaus told Brown, in the audio shared in The Boomin’ Experience Podcast.

The conversation’s exact date wasn’t shared, but host DJ Legato said it was “one random night.”

“The Steelers have been good communicators with me. We’ve talked a couple times every day about the teams, and they know that it’s important to us, that’s why they opened it up for the Patriots as well,” Rosenhaus said. “And that’s a good development for us, that they’re now willing to trade you to New England. So now it’s a process of New England stepping up, you know?”

Rosenhaus later added: “I think at this point, AB, they’re just ready to get the best compensation regardless of the team. … I think the Steelers are taking it very seriously and trying to get it done, and that’s why they’re willing to consider New England.”

As evidenced by the Raiders making the offer that eventually got the deal done, the Patriots clearly didn’t “step up” to Rosenhaus’ or Brown’s liking. Rosenhaus laid it out in that conversation what he was looking for: a competitive team that was also willing to guarantee a lot of money to Brown after making the deal. Rosenhaus was realistic in that regard when it came to teams like the Patriots or Eagles.

“I think the better the team, quite honestly AB, the harder it might be to get more out of them,” Rosenhaus explained. “They’re such good teams, they probably won’t offer as much as teams that are trying to get better.”

Still, that didn’t stop Rosenhaus or Brown from briefly fantasizing about the all-world receiver suiting up for the Patriots.

“Think about that,” Rosenhaus told Brown. “Think about playing with the greatest quarterback in NFL history, and he’s a cool guy.”

“We need that respect, that guaranteed [money],” Brown said. “Robert Kraft’s a cool guy, too.”

Teams involved in the pursuit of Brown, according to Rosenhaus at the time of the conversation, included New England, Philadelphia, Washington, Tennessee, Buffalo and Oakland.

Of course, Rosenhaus was correct. With the Patriots coming off a Super Bowl victory, the team was not eager to make the biggest offer — both in the trade, and to the receiver’s new contract — in order to land Brown.

Malcolm Brown was a viable option on a team that went to the SB 3 times, winning 2.

Not Patriots HoF, but not a bust by any measure.

He was on the team that went to 3 superbowls winning 2. He was a 2 down guy that they wanted more out of and didn't even fight to keep him. Not a bust, but worthy of a first round pick.

Malcolm Brown was a viable option on a team that went to the SB 3 times, winning 2.

If he were drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, there wouldn't even be a discussion about it.

He was a 4 year starter at defensive tackle on a multiple-time Super Bowl winning team. You can't have players that suck at that position.

He wasn't Vince Wilfork. Vince Wilfork should be a hall of famer. So no, he wasn't a hall of famer. So that makes him a bust? I don't get it.

He was on the team that went to 3 superbowls winning 2. He was a 2 down guy that they wanted more out of and didn't even fight to keep him. Not a bust, but worthy of a first round pick.

No. They declined to pick up a 5th yr option. That’s a preset dollar amount they deemed he was not worth. They could and likely did do better in FA $wise in Pennell.

That doesn’t make Brown a bust.

Is anyone unhappy that AB is not a Patriot right now?

Considering his contract with the Raiders I think that it was going to be far fetched. Sure, as a player he's one of the best, but what he showed this offseason leaves a lot of doubt that he won't be a locker room cancer.

Didn't say that he was a bust...I said that he was eh as a 1st round pick. Usually those picks should be held at a higher standard.

BB usually picks them well though, like you said. I do agree with you for the most part.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Is anyone unhappy that AB is not a Patriot right now?

Talent wise, yes. POS wise, no. I think that he's already bitching and moaning about the Raiders...lol.

File photo
Jerod Mayo returns to football as Patriots' linebackers coach

File photo
Jerod Mayo returns to football as Patriots' linebackers coach

Love it!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As <a href="https://twitter.com/tomecurran?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tomecurran</a> said, former Patriots LB Jerod Mayo has been hired to join Bill Belichick's staff as an assistant. When he played for the team from 2008-2015, Mayo was sometimes referred to by teammates as Bill Jr. -- a coach in the making. Now he's in.</p>— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1110937257932980226?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 27, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back