Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Yes overall it was a bad draft class. Those reports are accurate. You got two starters in dugger 2nd & Onwenu 6th. Uche as just a situational pass rusher. Zero production after that til steal of draft in the 6th.
Wow, that's a tough grading scale!
They came away with what appears to be:
1 high-end starter: Onwenu
1 passable starter: Dugger
1 contributor (at worst): Uche
2 Jury out, reasons for optimism on balance: Asiasi, Herron
1 Jury out, reasons for pessimism on balance: Keene
1 Jury totally out: Jennings
2 Clear bust: Rohrwasser, Maluia

Personally I'm bullish on Jennings and Uche, and feel better than most about Asiasi, particularly now that we can have him sit and learn for a bit. I feel worse than most about Herron, but he showed enough to get real looks in his first two years, which says something fairly significant.

My expectation is that this draft will end up producing 2-3 in the starter/key rotational player range, and another 1-2 contributors. That's a really nice draft. At worst there are two quality starting caliber players and a rotational contributor. Which you can't say is worse than "fine." That's basically the Mendoza Line, or maybe a little above it, for grading drafts.

Wow, that's a tough grading scale!
They came away with what appears to be:
1 high-end starter: Onwenu
1 passable starter: Dugger
1 contributor (at worst): Uche
2 Jury out, reasons for optimism on balance: Asiasi, Herron
1 Jury out, reasons for pessimism on balance: Keene
1 Jury totally out: Jennings
2 Clear bust: Rohrwasser, Maluia

Personally I'm bullish on Jennings and Uche, and feel better than most about Asiasi, particularly now that we can have him sit and learn for a bit. I feel worse than most about Herron, but he showed enough to get real looks in his first two years, which says something fairly significant.

My expectation is that this draft will end up producing 2-3 in the starter/key rotational player range, and another 1-2 contributors. That's a really nice draft. At worst there are two quality starting caliber players and a rotational contributor. Which you can't say is worse than "fine." That's basically the Mendoza Line, or maybe a little above it, for grading drafts.
It's pretty irrational. Unless the person can show us how many other franchises reel in 3+ good starters from every single draft to show us that is a real scale he/she is using, it doesn't make sense.

I want good future starters and I expect a spot player or two in development beyond that with STs contributions as well. Players grow at different rates for different reasons.

For all we know, we could go on a run here and these players will be part of the reason we do.

Last edited:
Pats just signed old friend, LB Calvin Munson from the Phins PS. Also, NE has signed Brian Poole to the PS. So, BB does think Myles Bryant and maybe Shaun Wade are better options than a veteran.

Poole is solid so I do find it curious he can't get a full time job elsewhere. He may have seen disappointing money due to the money and he chose us over other teams with the money probably being similar.

I can solve that issue. . I'm a guy who grow up in a miltarty family. My dads favorite saying to us. Whats the maximum effective range of a Excuse 0 Meters. I'm very direct I don't sugar coat things.
That's all well and good, but your scale is off. Context matters.

Compared to the rest of the league, these recent drafts are solid. No one said they are great or even very good, because they aren't. Also, the media likes to recycling anti-BB bashing rhetoric that misrepresents the truth.

These PFF metrics are good because they are applied to all players, but I go by the eye test and then it usually ends up matching what PFF shows us. Then I know it's legit.

This "bad draft" thing is a narrative designed by the people who have an unhealthy love for you know you, so there is some default deflection mechanism built in there in case you know who has bad games or a subpar postseason.

This kind of rhetoric was happening at the time of the last rebuild in 2010/2011. How did that work out? Most drafts are judged 2-3 years down the road.

These PFF metrics are good because they are applied to all players, but I go by the eye test and then it usually ends up matching what PFF shows us. Then I know it's legit.
Except this past week where Barmore weirdly got a score in the 60s or something like that. I think there's a decent amount of weirdness in their scoring of the defensive front 7, but they seem to have developed so pretty good metrics.

We're already seeing more production from this years draft class. Its ok to say Last few have been disappointments. Bad high round draft choices .
Uche & Dugger in round 2 last year wasn't good? Followed by Jennings, Asiasi, and Keene, none of whom we can really get a bead on except that we're sure Asiasi isn't good enough to make BB not sign Smith and Henry...at least not yet?

2019, not awesome. Not horrific, but not awesome. May look significantly different if Williams gets it when forced into playtime this year, though. I'm not betting on that, but it's not outside the realm of reasonable.

We're already seeing more production from this years draft class. Its ok to say Last few have been disappointments. Bad high round draft choices .
You sound like Gary Tanguay.."We all know".....No we don't and don't speak for me, Gary.

The rd doesn't matter. There is a Rookie Cap. So if he whiffs on Harry but he gets Meyers, that's good. It's not perfect, not great, but it's good. It's like Jon Jones in 2016. UDFA. We can do this all day with the amount of UDFAs he develops who are pure football players or mid or late rd guys that simply want it more. It's built us 2 dynasties. Malcolm Butler, Edelman, Tom Brady, and on and and on. It's just neverending.

Your premise would be accurate in 2010 or earlier without a rookie cap where huge amounts of cap impact is present. But, not anymore. I don't care what the rd is. No fan should. It's largely irrelevant past 1-20 in the 1st rd with the money the way it is.

Hotshot NCAA prospects in Rd 1 or 2 who may not be as coachable? That's on the player. Sure, that needs to be diagnosed with the scouting, but BB usually doesn't miss on 1st rders. Easlye and Harry come to mind.

The last 3 drafts have been solid yielding at least 2 quality starters and an array of spot/developmental guys who help win games and good back ups as STs players, too.

This doesn't mean they don't need some infusion with the skill position picks in this upcoming draft.

Pats just signed old friend, LB Calvin Munson from the Phins PS. Also, NE has signed Brian Poole to the PS. So, BB does think Myles Bryant and maybe Shaun Wade are better options than a veteran.

Poole is solid so I do find it curious he can't get a full time job elsewhere. He may have seen disappointing money due to the money and he chose us over other teams with the money probably being similar.

I'm pretty happy about the Poole signing. With a little time to learn our D he should provide solid CB depth.

Except this past week where Barmore weirdly got a score in the 60s or something like that. I think there's a decent amount of weirdness in their scoring of the defensive front 7, but they seem to have developed so pretty good metrics.
I'd have to look at the metrics for DTs on their site to see why that was. That's kind of what I am saying about the eye test. I just like PFF because it's really the only and best set of metrics used that I know of to use a data reference based on just being a fan and seeing what looks like good or bad play in a game.

Kraft was such a dope for publicly saying our recent drafts haven't been good as he walks by the players in the locker room or sees Michel get traded away after he himself was our postseason offensive MVP in 2018.

It's just a dumb thing to say. Our own owner feel prey to the anti-BB media commentary. BB had to be disappointed by it. This is the same owner who stood up there and accepted our Framegate 2 punishment, all but destroying 2017's draft from having a chance to be even solid. The irony of it.

I'm pretty happy about the Poole signing. With a little time to learn our D he should provide solid CB depth.

Pats also signed CB De'Vante Bausby who is a fast guy but he's been with 8 teams in 6 years and only played a few games for 5 of them.

Kraft was such a dope for publicly saying our recent drafts haven't been good as he walks by the players in the locker room or sees Michel get traded away after he himself was our postseason offensive MVP in 2018.

It's just a dumb thing to say. Our own owner feel prey to the anti-BB media commentary. BB had to be disappointed by it. This is the same owner who stood up there and accepted our Framegate 2 punishment, all but destroying 2017's draft from having a chance to be even solid. The irony of it.
Lol

We're already seeing more production from this years draft class. Its ok to say Last few have been disappointments. Bad high round draft choices . Instead of trying to spin them into a postive.
Agree.

What a one-sided, erroneous crock of shit. And there isn't a bigger Bill B.fan anywhere, other than me. Bob Kraft is far from perfect, but he's arguably the best owner in the NFL. If it weren't for him, you and the other ungrateful, spoiled fans would be rooting for another team or picking meadow flowers every autumn Sunday. Christ...

What a one-sided, erroneous crock of shit. Bob Kraft is far from perfect, but he's arguably the best owner in the NFL. If it weren't for him, you and the other ungrateful, spoiled fans would be rooting for another team or picking meadow flowers every autumn Sunday. Christ...
I agree in the big picture, but it doesn't mean I have to like every decision he made. Heck, his stupidity at the strip mall forced him to release Antonio Brown in 2019. Think about that. #1 D and STs and many said we'd be a lock for the SB in 2019 after they acquired Brown and saw the Miami beatdown 49-0.

I don't think anything I said above about him cowtowing to Cheater Goodell on multiple occasions and not going nuclear, publicly, calling out what these framejobs are inaccurate or not a rational opinion as a fan of this team.

Ol' Bob probably should have let Jonathan take over 4 years ago and stepped aside. How long is he going to want to be at that big boy table anyway? You do realize that's why he didn't call out the cheating owners and Goodell while our team is slandered and cheated, right? He loves the power and being on that broadcast/media committee and is tight with Les Moonves.

I'd rather he be like Al Davis or Mark Davis and actually stick up for yourself. When does the cheating end? When he's gone?

Not erroneous at all. That's exactly what happened. Bob likes the power and control with is position in the league, so he allows our team to be cheated. Even the last framejob was a Kraft Productions thing and he still accepts the punishment? Absolutely ridiculous. Not even a comment or press conference laying out how and why Goodell chooses to cheat our team.

And he talks about bad drafts? Excuse me, Bob?

I agree in the big picture, but it doesn't mean I have to like every decision he made. Heck, his stupidity at the strip mall forced him to release Antonio Brown in 2019. Think about that. #1 D and STs and many said we'd be a lock for the SB in 2019 after they acquired Brown and saw the Miami beatdown 49-0.

I don't think anything I said above about him cowtowing to Cheater Goodell on multiple occasions and not going nuclear, publicly, calling out what these framejobs are inaccurate or not a rational opinion as a fan of this team.

Ol' Bob probably should have let Jonathan take over 4 years ago and stepped aside. How long is he going to want to be at that big boy table anyway? You do realize that's why he didn't call out the cheating owners and Goodell while our team is slandered and cheated, right? He loves the power and being on that broadcast/media committee and is tight with Les Moonves.

I'd rather he be like Al Davis or Mark Davis and actually stick up for yourself.

Not erroneous at all. That's exactly what happened. Bob likes the power and control with is position in the league, so he allows our team to be cheated. Even the last framejob was a Kraft Productions thing and he still accepts the punishment? Absolutely ridiculous.
Interesting your trash the owner. Refuse to say anything that’s criticizes BB . I agree with Phil Elliott post Your ungrateful Spoiled Rotten Fan

Back