Looking at the Patriots - 2021

He is a great fit for Shanny's system. I am still not convinced they take him but assume Lawrence is #1 and then the Jets take Fields at #2. Of course the Jets could trade out or simply not take a QB at #2. That leaves all the other QBs on the board for the Niners. My gut feeling is they are talking about keeping Jimmy because they are taking Lance and he will take some time to develop. I believe back when Bill signed Cam, Lynch told Bill we are keeping Jimmy because we are going all in on the draft.
Shanny has worked with Matt Schaub (led the league in passing), RG3, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Brian Hoyer, Manziel and JimmyG. All had their best success when Shanny coached them but they're all a little different. Shanny can coach up and adapt any QB to his QB friendly west coast based offense. All the top 5 in this draft fit in his system.

They're talking about keeping JG to keep his price high - they want something for him. Otherwise they have $25M on the books for no good reason for this year. I'll be very surprised if he's not traded and certainly before the trading deadline.

I have a hard time believing they'd trade up for a boring/sure pick in Mac Jones instead of the splashy talented Wilson/Lance/Fields pick. I'll believe it when I see it.

Shanny likes QBs who are smart and follow his coaching to manage the game without turnovers. Jones fits well.

IF he takes Jones at 3 that may leave one of Wilson/Lance/Fields for the Patriots. It's not all bad. I'll take Lance if that happens, please.

Shanny has worked with Matt Schaub (led the league in passing), RG3, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Brian Hoyer, Manziel and JimmyG. All had their best success when Shanny coached them but they're all a little different. Shanny can coach up and adapt any QB to his QB friendly west coast based offense. All the top 5 in this draft fit in his system.

They're talking about keeping JG to keep his price high - they want something for him. Otherwise they have $25M on the books for no good reason for this year. I'll be very surprised if he's not traded and certainly before the trading deadline.
The Niners are $19 mil under the cap and that is with Jimmy's contract factored in. I don't think they feel the $25mil is too much to pay for him to be their starter for this year. He is a starting caliber QB when healthy not a back up. Also, they do not own him any guaranteed money. That is big. They actually don't owe him any money until week one of the regular season so he isn't costing them anything until the season begins. But what is bigger is Jimmy holds all the cards. He has the no trade clause so he can veto any trade they try to make. Basically he can call his shot and make sure he gets his money. That would force the Niners to release him which they won't do. This is why Shanny turned down the #2 from Bill. Jimmy most likely said no as he has no interest in taking a pay cut.

BB had a chance to take one last year. Even after trading out of 1st. He choose to dugger with his first pick. Could have easily trade up a few picks to get hunts with his 2nd pick. I believe a massive trade for one of top Qbs when I see it.
I would be shocked if Bill traded up at this point. The capital is just too high and it looks like all the best prospects will be gone in the first 4 picks. I think we take a QB in round 2.

All I want for 2021 is a future to look forward to. If we go in to the season with Newton and no future prospect at QB I'll look at 2021 as another wasted season like 2020 was. I don't mind sucking, I do mind sucking with no hope for the future. I mean what are we, the Bears?

I am kind of wary of all the free agent signings, not because I don't trust BB or think the signings were good, but just because historically the team(s) that "win" free agency usually don't end up doing as well as expectations.

The Niners are $19 mil under the cap and that is with Jimmy's contract factored in. I don't think they feel the $25mil is too much to pay for him to be their starter for this year. He is a starting caliber QB when healthy not a back up. Also, they do not own him any guaranteed money. That is big. They actually don't owe him any money until week one of the regular season so he isn't costing them anything until the season begins. But what is bigger is Jimmy holds all the cards. He has the no trade clause so he can veto any trade they try to make. Basically he can call his shot and make sure he gets his money. That would force the Niners to release him which they won't do. This is why Shanny turned down the #2 from Bill. Jimmy most likely said no as he has no interest in taking a pay cut.

The 9ers apparently have layed a smokescreen thick enough that you're not seeing through it.

Last edited:
Have to admire Bill for the way he doesn't get sucked into the hysteria. The word was he was holding very tight on Gilmore who teams wanted to be included in any trade to move up the draft. People tend to go a bit mad in these scenarios, they lose perspective. If the value is not there, don't go for it.

Bill still has the prestige to draw big players, from Mike Reiss' piece below.

1. Cash and cachet: Coach Bill Belichick had the cold, hard cash necessary for the Patriots to be a major player in free agency. He also had the cachet, which was an important tiebreaker in competitive bidding situations.

Some of the newest Patriots said playing for Belichick, who turns 69 in April, was a deciding factor in their coming aboard.

"I met him before coming out in the [2016] draft and I always talked to my high school coach [Kevin Kelley] about him, and so we kind of had that mutual connection," tight end Hunter Henry said. "Just kind of building that throughout the years; I have a ton of respect for Coach, the Patriots, and I'm excited to be under him and have him be my coach now and help me grow as a player."

One would expect players to say nice things about their new boss, especially after Belichick backed up the Brink's truck for many of them. There also seemed to be a level of awe.

Defensive back Jalen Mills relayed he has watched Belichick closely since before he started taking football seriously, and then shared an anecdote about one of his first meetings with him at Gillette Stadium shortly after signing.

"I was about to walk out of the cafeteria and I hear 'Hi Jalen.' So I turn around and it's Coach. In my mind, I'm saying 'this is Coach,' but it didn't really click it was Coach Belichick. He was saying he was happy to have me here, and I literally turned my back to him and screamed out loud, 'This is f---ing Coach Belichick!'"

Defensive tackle Davon Godchaux called it a "no-brainer" to sign because of the scheme and "being able to be coached by arguably the greatest coach of all time." Fellow defensive lineman Henry Andersonadded he has long admired Belichick's defense. Offensive tackle Trent Brown said upon his return to New England via a trade from the Las Vegas Raiders, "I've worn a lot of jerseys in my life, but I've never been more proud than when I put on a Patriots jersey."

And linebacker Raekwon McMillan shared he passed on two or three other scheduled visits after meeting with Belichick at Gillette Stadium.

"This opportunity couldn't be passed up because of the prestige, being coached by some of the best coaches in the NFL," he said. "Coach Belichick told me that he's been watching my career. For a player, you're talking to a Hall of Fame coach, that really inspired me."

Shanny likes QBs who are smart and follow his coaching to manage the game without turnovers. Jones fits well.

IF he takes Jones at 3 that may leave one of Wilson/Lance/Fields for the Patriots. It's not all bad. I'll take Lance if that happens, please.
Lance might not be there either...the draft weekend will be interesting.

I could see BB picking anywhere from 1st round to signing a QB in UDFA...

The 9ers apparently have layed a smokescreen thick enough that you're not seeing through it.
There is no smokescreen on my end. It would not surprise me in the least if they trade or release Jimmy. I was just laying out the facts of why they may end up keeping him. He is not cost prohibitive for them to keep at his current salary and he has leverage with the no trade clause.

Have to admire Bill for the way he doesn't get sucked into the hysteria. The word was he was holding very tight on Gilmore who teams wanted to be included in any trade to move up the draft. People tend to go a bit mad in these scenarios, they lose perspective. If the value is not there, don't go for it.
I want us to keep Gilmore. One of the few players worth a 3rd contract. And with the depressed market we can get him on a favorable deal.

I want us to keep Gilmore. One of the few players worth a 3rd contract. And with the depressed market we can get him on a favorable deal.
I want to keep him, too...already signed to his next contract based around the current market.

Second choice is to trade him to go get The Guy.

Last choice is that he plays one more year here and walks for nothing but a comp 4th or something.

Do we have enough money to keep both Gimore & Jackson after this season . The tenders only a 1 year deal.
We have a ton of cap for next year.

I think you're giving BB way too little credit if you don't know if he sees the value of a QB.

I would be shocked if Bill traded up at this point. The capital is just too high and it looks like all the best prospects will be gone in the first 4 picks. I think we take a QB in round 2.
I've had the vaccine. Not immune to Bill shocking me.

Cheers

Back