Looking at the Patriots - 2021

...Jimmy holds all the cards. He has the no trade clause so he can veto any trade they try to make. Basically he can call his shot and make sure he gets his money. That would force the Niners to release him which they won't do. This is why Shanny turned down the #2 from Bill. Jimmy most likely said no as he has no interest in taking a pay cut.
How does getting traded = a pay cut? The acquiring team picks up the contract as written.

Do we have enough money to keep both Gimore & Jackson after this season . The tenders only a 1 year deal.
On the bright side, a
t least Jackson's one year deal is only 1/3 the cost of THuney's one year deal last year.

How does getting traded = a pay cut? The acquiring team picks up the contract as written.
True but in Jimmy's case, the acquiring team will want to renogiate his contract most likely given his market value is not $25 mil. That being said, I could see the WFT or the Bears picking it up. Bill won't.

I would be shocked if Bill traded up at this point. The capital is just too high and it looks like all the best prospects will be gone in the first 4 picks. I think we take a QB in round 2.
Totally depends on who is available. If there's a QB he likes, he'll trade up.
If not, there's always next year.
Or Cam plays very well.
Or Stidham clicks.
Or he drafts Kellen Mond or Davis Mills who come in and immediately pick up the O and perform well.

Last edited:
True but in Jimmy's case, the acquiring team will want to renogiate his contract most likely given his market value is not $25 mil.
Yes. That's why I disagree with you that Jimmy holds all the cards. The only leverage he has is to to negate any trade he doesn't like but that won't prevent his taking a pay cut. He cannot force the 49ers to keep him @$25mil by refusing trades because because he doesn't want a pay cut, but in fact if he tries to force the 49ers to keep him at $25 mil to not take a pay cut, he risks their cutting him and he loses money. He in theory can hold out to not be traded or not be traded to this team or that team, but that doesn't prevent him from losing money if it leads to his being cut.

Just commenting on your idea that Jimmy can avoid taking a pay cut by negating a trade by refusing a trade.

Yes. That's why I disagree with you that Jimmy holds all the cards. The only leverage he has is to to negate any trade he doesn't like but that won't prevent his taking a pay cut. He cannot force the 49ers to keep him @$25mil by refusing trades because because he doesn't want a pay cut, but in fact if he tries to force the 49ers to keep him at $25 mil to not take a pay cut, he risks their cutting him and he loses money. He in theory can hold out to not be traded or not be traded to this team or that team, but that doesn't prevent him from losing money if it leads to his being cut.

Just commenting on your idea that Jimmy can avoid taking a pay cut by negating a trade by refusing a trade.
True but it is in Jimmy's best interest to be cut so he can go wherever he wants as a FA. I doubt he gets $25 mil on the open market but who knows, it only takes one team and there are a lot of dumb teams. Lol

According to a report by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the NFL informed its clubs on Tuesday that they will be able to begin the first phase of their offseason workout programs on April 19.

A very positive sign!

According to a report by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the NFL informed its clubs on Tuesday that they will be able to begin the first phase of their offseason workout programs on April 19.

A very positive sign!
Excellent. Do you know if they will be in person or virtual? I know the PA was asking for an all virtual off-season again and I am hoping the NFL refuses to do that.

Excellent. Do you know if they will be in person or virtual? I know the PA was asking for an all virtual off-season again and I am hoping the NFL refuses to do that.
In person. Gillette is open to players now. It's for training, conditioning and rehab.

• Ryan Hannable considers that without a true No. 1 WR option, it doesn’t feel like the Patriots are done adding.
  • Phil Perry profiles prototypical Patriots to see which pass catchers fit the mold for the Pats in the 2021 NFL Draft.
  • Jerry Trotta (MusketFire) 3 moves that should come next for New England. 3. Sign free agent LB K.J. Wright.
  • Ryan Hannable passes along a report from NFL Media that teams were informed OTAs can begin next month. Everything last offseason was conducted virtually, so this is a change. /For the better!
  • Clare Cooper (FullPressCoverage) A Clare Perspective: Let’s go tight end crazy in this free agency!
  • Dakota Randall notes WR Kendrick Bourne offered an extended look at last week’s Patriots workouts in Newport Beach, Calif.
  • Thomas Murphy (DiehardBostonSportsFans) Clemson slot receiver Amari Rodgers: A perfect Patriot?
  • Steve Balestrieri (PatsFans) Patriots 2021 draft profile: Florida QB Kyle Trask.
  • Michael Hurley writes, ‘as if it weren’t already silly season in the NFL, we’ve now got photographic evidence of Bill Belichick chatting with 49ers GM John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan at Alabama’s pro day on Tuesday.’
  • CBS Boston passes along a report from ESPN’s Dianna Russini, who said that the interest in Garoppolo from Belichick and the Patriots has been “consistent.” “[It’s about the Patriots] having the right amount of picks and the money to get Jimmy to bring him back. That’s really what it’s gonna come down to.”
  • Tom Westerholm notes Jimmy Garoppolo ‘wasn’t totally excited’ about 49ers trading up in NFL Draft. “Obviously, no one wants to hear that.”
  • Sean T. McGuire looks at whether the Patriots would be better off trading for Sam Darnold than drafting a QB: It seems Darnold’s price is down to a third-rounder.
  • Thomas Carannante (MusketFire) Why Patriots could get best evaluation of Mac Jones at Alabama pro day.
  • Khari Thompson mentions Bill Belichick was seen speaking with 49ers executives at Mac Jones’s Pro Day.
  • Logan Mullen notes Devin McCourty is already looking forward to playing Tom Brady’s Bucs.
  • Matt Bowen (ESPN) Best traits for top NFL draft 2021 quarterbacks: Eight QBs, eight throws that show their talent.
  • Doug Farrar (TouchdownWire) Why Justin Fields’ ‘big problem’ might not be a big problem at all

In person. Gillette is open to players now. It's for training, conditioning and rehab.
This is huge for us. We have so many new players and also gives Cam a real off-season to get more up to speed on everything. This is the best news of the off-season so far in terms of having the necessary preparation to make a successful 2021 season.

• Ryan Hannable considers that without a true No. 1 WR option, it doesn’t feel like the Patriots are done adding.
  • Phil Perry profiles prototypical Patriots to see which pass catchers fit the mold for the Pats in the 2021 NFL Draft.
  • Jerry Trotta (MusketFire) 3 moves that should come next for New England. 3. Sign free agent LB K.J. Wright.
  • Ryan Hannable passes along a report from NFL Media that teams were informed OTAs can begin next month. Everything last offseason was conducted virtually, so this is a change. /For the better!
  • Clare Cooper (FullPressCoverage) A Clare Perspective: Let’s go tight end crazy in this free agency!
  • Dakota Randall notes WR Kendrick Bourne offered an extended look at last week’s Patriots workouts in Newport Beach, Calif.
  • Thomas Murphy (DiehardBostonSportsFans) Clemson slot receiver Amari Rodgers: A perfect Patriot?
  • Steve Balestrieri (PatsFans) Patriots 2021 draft profile: Florida QB Kyle Trask.
  • Michael Hurley writes, ‘as if it weren’t already silly season in the NFL, we’ve now got photographic evidence of Bill Belichick chatting with 49ers GM John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan at Alabama’s pro day on Tuesday.’
  • CBS Boston passes along a report from ESPN’s Dianna Russini, who said that the interest in Garoppolo from Belichick and the Patriots has been “consistent.” “[It’s about the Patriots] having the right amount of picks and the money to get Jimmy to bring him back. That’s really what it’s gonna come down to.”
  • Tom Westerholm notes Jimmy Garoppolo ‘wasn’t totally excited’ about 49ers trading up in NFL Draft. “Obviously, no one wants to hear that.”
  • Sean T. McGuire looks at whether the Patriots would be better off trading for Sam Darnold than drafting a QB: It seems Darnold’s price is down to a third-rounder.
  • Thomas Carannante (MusketFire) Why Patriots could get best evaluation of Mac Jones at Alabama pro day.
  • Khari Thompson mentions Bill Belichick was seen speaking with 49ers executives at Mac Jones’s Pro Day.
  • Logan Mullen notes Devin McCourty is already looking forward to playing Tom Brady’s Bucs.
  • Matt Bowen (ESPN) Best traits for top NFL draft 2021 quarterbacks: Eight QBs, eight throws that show their talent.
  • Doug Farrar (TouchdownWire) Why Justin Fields’ ‘big problem’ might not be a big problem at all
I’ve liked Trask. I’m at a loss as to why he’s not considered at least back of the first round material.

Back