Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Uh no he was hated by some. I do read places outside of this board you know. So dont tell me that nobody hated him when he left because they did. Its a fan thing, it happens. If you don't think he was, then fine, but dont tell me what I know. thanks
Whatever. I did not tell you what, if anything, you know and I don't care what mediots or fans say on other forums beyond this board. Going back to before Brady left, any time I or anyone else said Brady had a bad attitude, you'd go bonkers and say we hated Brady, blah blah blah. If I had known you were putting words into the mouths of fans of other forums I wouldn't have answered. Apologies.

Whatever. I did not tell you what, if anything, you know and I don't care what mediots or fans say on other forums beyond this board. Going back to before Brady left, any time I or anyone else said Brady had a bad attitude, you'd go bonkers and say we hated Brady, blah blah blah. If I had known you were putting words into the mouths of fans of other forums I wouldn't have answered. Apologies.
So you choose to personally attack me because I said there were fans out there that hated Brady after he left? Ok. I put no words in anyones mouth. You can go read them yourself. Why this upsets you is quite interesting.

So you choose to personally attack me because I said there were fans out there that hated Brady after he left? Ok. I put no words in anyones mouth. You can go read them yourself. Why this upsets you is quite interesting.
Why are you eye rolling, thats literally what happened. lol If you folks could actually post without personally going after someone it would be a miracle.

I agree with Hannable. The Belichick bashing is getting ridiculous.

Hannable: Backlash towards Bill Belichick is getting excessive

By Ryan Hannable

15 hours ago

In their first season without Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the Patriots missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008 and down in Tampa Bay, Brady is preparing to play in his 10th Super Bowl, a year after the Buccaneers finished 7-9.
Brady comes away looking better than Belichick in their first year apart.
Obviously.

It’s also obvious there’s still a lot to play out if you really want to play the game of who won between head coach and quarterback. The Patriots were never going to compete for a Super Bowl this year, even if Brady was under center, and the Buccaneers were a solid quarterback away from being one of the better teams in the NFC (bet you didn’t know the Buccaneers had the third-best offense in football last year).
Belichick also has the fourth-most cap space in football this offseason along with the No. 15 overall pick, let’s see how the team looks in two or three years before jumping to any real conclusions. And also, let’s see another year or two of Brady in Tampa. Its roster will look a lot different in 2021, so will Brady have the same results with potentially less talent?
OK, moving on.

Appearing on FS1 Monday, Danny Amendola said the following: “When you see ‘Patriot Way’ in the dictionary, it’s gonna have Tom Brady’s name next to it. None of those coaches threw any passes. None of those coaches caught any passes. None of those coaches made any tackles. They got guys in the right position because they watched a lot of film and they spent all their time at the facility, but Tom Brady is ‘the Patriot Way.’ That’s the reason why Tom Brady’s in the Super Bowl right now and the Patriots aren’t.”
This comment was dissected left and right and the takeaways were primarily a prominent former player is saying Brady is more responsible for the Patriots’ success than Belichick.
Newsflash: Belichick would agree.

“It’s a great privilege to coach this team and to coach the guys that I’ve coached during my career,” Belichick said in 2019 following his 300th career win. “Fortunately I didn’t play in any of those games, that’s a good thing for us, but I’ve had a lot of good players, a lot of great players, and they’re the ones that win the games. I’ve had a lot of great assistant coaches on my staff — the ones in Cleveland and certainly here. I was a part of those, but I’d say players win games in this league and I’ve been fortunate I’ve coached a lot of great ones.”
This is the standard answer Belichick always gives when asked about personal accomplishments. He’s always deflected praise to his players because “they’re the ones that win the games.”
Why are we continuing to debate this when one of the people involved acknowledges there’s nothing to discuss?

Another constant point of discussion recently has been Brady’s relationship with Belichick.
Last week, the quarterback gushed over his relationship with Bruce Arians where he said he is the type of coach players want to win for, etc. Some took his long comment as a dig at Belichick because he never really praised him in the media during his time in New England, especially towards the end.
Well, don’t tell those people what Brady said Monday.

“I have a great relationship with him,” he said of his former coach. ”Again, I am just incredibly grateful for what he’s meant in my life as a coach. He was everything you could ask for as a player. I loved my time and two incredible decades there. My football journey took me to a different place and I certainly could never have accomplished the things in my career without his support and his teachings.
"Incredible coach and mentor for me. I have had a lot of those in my career, but obviously he’s at the top of the list.”
There’s no doubt Brady has a different relationship with Arians than he did with Belichick because after all, the two have completely different personalities. There are different styles of coaching that can be successful. Just because Brady didn’t regularly play golf with Belichick doesn’t mean he didn’t like him and doesn’t appreciate his value.

And then not relating to Brady, there’s now a thought New England is no longer a place players want to play.
This stems from Matthew Stafford reportedly telling the Lions he would be willing to go anywhere but New England.
It feels like this is a Stafford thing more than a rest of the league thing. When it came down to the Rams, 49ers, Bears, Panthers, Colts and Patriots, wouldn’t New England naturally be last on that list for Stafford because of a variety of reasons?

On top of being an outdoor team, the Patriots do not have a very talented roster right now and are coming off their worst season since 2000, so it should be expected a veteran player like Stafford, who has other options, isn’t banging down the door to come to New England.
But, this doesn’t mean Belichick can’t get players to join the team this offseason. Heck, if the Jets, who haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years, can get players to sign with them during free agency, Belichick will be just fine.
The Patriots actually have money to spend this offseason, close to $60 million in fact, the fourth-most in the entire NFL. Belichick and Co. can go after some of the top-tier players available this offseason and compete with all teams when it comes to a potential bidding war. If money is equal, wouldn’t free agents choose the Patriots over say the Jaguars and Jets, the top two teams in terms of cap space?

It’s a lot easier to convince players to join a team when it has money to spend, which is unfamiliar territory for the Patriots.
Belichick is the greatest coach in the history of the league. If a player has winning on their wish list, they are still considering New England. One losing season doesn’t take away what he’s done for the last 20.
And that’s the key to all the hate towards Belichick of late — many are pretty much ignoring what he’s accomplished over the last 20 years.

Do these people forget the 11 straight AFC East titles, the nine Super Bowl appearances and six titles since 2000? Even though it seems like we’re talking about Marvin Lewis or Rex Ryan at times, we’re talking about Belichick.
What will these same people bashing him now be saying next year if the team is back in the playoffs? Who will they look to give the credit to then?
While it’s clear Belichick probably should have had a better plan when it came to replacing Brady, let’s not act like he’s incapable of leading a NFL franchise. It’s easy to bash him for this past year, but he’s got a pretty decent resume.
Don’t forget that.

I am not sure why everyone is surprised. This was going to be the media agenda and how it was going to go was based on who had more success. If Belichick came out and went 11-5 and maybe won a playoff game, and Brady went 7-9 with the bucs and struggled badly, they would sing his praises of belichick and say Brady was obviously just part of the realm of belichick. If the opposite happened, then you get what you have now. They already had their stories written for either
scenario. I will go on record as saying this was going to happen before the season even started, and also saying that neither outcome had anything to do with each other, but that does not sell hot takes.

The positive part in all of this is...BB has a new reason to kick ass. All of this horse shit will give energy to his already lit fire. Also...I hope that Brady wins the superbowl for the same reason.
I always think Bill does not give a crap what the media says or thinks. I think players would more than he would.

I always think Bill does not give a crap what the media says or thinks. I think players would more than he would.
He cares. He is a historian of the game. This isn't just some local hacks, this is the national narrative.

He cares. He is a historian of the game. This isn't just some local hacks, this is the national narrative.
"He is a historian of the game".

Exactly. He cares only what people who actually understand football think. The lifers, the people that
played and coached the game. Not some talking head or writer who gets paid for hot takes or clicks.

For those types, Bill is and has always been zero fucks given all the way. Otherwise, he'd be calling
Peter King or somebody for advice prior to making a move. Yeah.......no.

People that understand what is required of him as an HC/GM know that there are a lot of hard decisions
to be made along the way and not everybody is going to approve or agree, but his judgement, while not always perfect, is
better than anybody else who ever walked a mile in his shoes.

If you believe that to be incorrect, then I'd love to know who you think is/was better.

"He is a historian of the game".

Exactly. He cares only what people who actually understand football think. The lifers, the people that
played and coached the game. Not some talking head or writer who gets paid for hot takes or clicks.

For those types, Bill is and has always been zero fucks given all the way. Otherwise, he'd be calling
Peter King or somebody for advice prior to making a move. Yeah.......no.

People that understand what is required of him as an HC/GM know that there are a lot of hard decisions
to be made along the way and not everybody is going to approve or agree, but his judgement, while not always perfect, is
better than anybody else who ever walked a mile in his shoes.

If you believe that to be incorrect, then I'd love to know who you think is/was better.
Hawg and I agree...it happens.

BB needs to go to avoid a lost half decade.

Don’t worry I’ll still be here after the next five years of mediocrity to say I told you so. Every season he will take a team that should have 3 wins talent wise and go get 7 or 8. Then he’ll blow four years of drafts in the offseason.

He’s nothing without Brady. Danny had a great point.

Back