Looking At The Patriots 2022

If the team has a choice between Kingsbury and O'Brien, that is a very nice position to be in! Either would be a stellar upgrade and would make a massive difference.

It's a good point on Kingsbury that if he wants to be strategic, coming in and fixing one of the worst offenses in the league would see his stock go through the stratosphere and open up another HC position will be his. And if he did a really great job, the HC of the Patriots could even be his when Bill retires. That's the way some of these candidates should be thinking. Bill has 18 games to bear Shula so that could be two years and then he'll likely go.

Last edited:
If the team has a choice between Kingsbury and O'Brien, that is a very nice position to be in! Either would be a stellar upgrade and would make a massive difference.

It's a good point on Kingsbury that if he wants to be strategic, coming in a fixing one of the worst offenses in the league would see his stock go through the stratosphere and another HC will be his. And if he did a really great job, the HC of the Patriots could even be his when Bill retires. That's the way some of these candidates should be thinking. Bill has 18 games to bear Shula so that could be two years and then he'll likely go.

Steve Belichick wants a word with you.

I mean, Kingsbury thinks it's O'Brien's job. That's why he's hanging out in Coral Gables waiting for the sword of Damacles to fall on Josh Gattis.
OK.

But if it isn't (and BoB says he hasn't heard from BB) then make sure KK knows it.

Seems like common sense?

Steve Belichick wants a word with you.
I can just picture the new face of the franchise with the tongue sticking out...

Doesn't seem plausible, Mayo is the the team leader per reports.

And this is likely weighing heavy on the minds of some candidates especially Bill O’Brien.

I hope this isn't the case as Steve is light years from being a HC IMHO. He's doing a very good job on defense but he's still young and inexperienced. He needs a few years before even going to a DC position imho.

And once Bill goes, there is no way RKK and Jonathan will play a favourite and just appoint Steve because he's Bill's son.

For his own sake, I would love to see Steve going to another team and getting some experience away from his dad and his influence. Bill worked with multiple teams before settling down with the Pats.

I hope this isn't the case as Steve is light years from being a HC IMHO. He's doing a very good job on defense but he's still young and inexperienced. He needs a few years before even going to a DC position imho.

And once Bill goes, there is no way RKK and Jonathan will play a favourite and just appoint Steve because he's Bill's son.

For his own sake, I would love to see Steve going to another team and getting some experience away from his dad and his influence. Bill worked with multiple teams before settling down with the Pats.
I agree 100%. Just concerned a bit that others may perceive him the heir apparent and back away OR leave (Mayo).

I agree 100%. Just concerned a bit that others may perceive him the heir apparent and back away OR leave (Mayo).
It's tricky no question about it and it will be the Krafts biggest ever challengee in a way as to how they approach the post-Bill period. RKK seems to have a decent eye for coaching talent, he brought Pete Carroll and Bill to NE. He seems to be a good evaluate of people.

OK.

But if it isn't (and BoB says he hasn't heard from BB) then make sure KK knows it.

Seems like common sense?
Ok.

I wouldn't say 'Kingsbury thinks it's O'Brien's job', if I didn't know that's what he thought.

I would honestly prefer Kingsbury at this point as OC myself, if the choice was mine.

Ok.

I wouldn't say 'Kingsbury thinks it's O'Brien's job', if I didn't know that's what he thought.

I would honestly prefer Kingsbury at this point as OC myself, if the choice was mine.
OK.

How do you know what KK thinks? Not saying you don't. You guys buds?

OK.

How do you know what KK thinks? Not saying you don't. You guys buds?
No. I do have a source very close to the Miami program who spoke with him about it (not a reporter). He said he thinks it's O'Brien's job, and that's why he was down there talking with them.

Gattis' contract out is within the next couple of weeks. Whether Kingsbury takes that job or another college job, we'll know shortly.

No. I do have a source very close to the Miami program who spoke with him about it (not a reporter). He said he thinks it's O'Brien's job, and that's why he was down there talking with them.

Gattis' contract out is within the next couple of weeks. Whether Kingsbury takes that job or another college job, we'll know shortly.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I am confused by all the intrigue and guessing going on. In corporate recruiting we make the necessary calls and communications in order to insure people have the correct information. If I were Bill and I had interest in KK AND the job was not already BoB's I would simply have HR (or an intermediary) makes sure KK knew this.

Conversely, if I were KK and I was interested in the Pats OC job, but in FL as a back up I would reach out to BB for confirmation of the situation. Why would I not?

This Spy v Spy thing of smart people making career decisions based on what they think they know is weird AF.

Communicate.

What am I missing?

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I am confused by all the intrigue and guessing going on. In corporate recruiting we make the necessary calls and communications in order to insure people have the correct information. If I were Bill and I had interest in KK AND the job was not already BoB's I would simply have HR (or an intermediary) makes sure KK knew this.

Conversely, if I were KK and I was interested in the Pats OC job, but in FL as a back up I would reach out to BB for confirmation of the situation. Why would I not?

This Spy v Spy thing of smart people making career decisions based on what they think they know is weird AF.

Communicate.

What am I missing?

You're missing nothing. BB's evaluations of the current team must be made and then he has to determine what changes are necessary before discussing his findings and options with Kraft.
BB won't make knee jerk changes. The process takes time.

You're missing nothing. BB's evaluations of the current team must be made and then he has to determine what changes are necessary before discussing his findings and options with Kraft.
Everyone wants changes right now it seems. just let the next few months play out and lets see how it goes. The building process is a big part of what i Enjoy about football!

I understand the eval process takes time. If BB is remotely interested in KK he needs to let him know the position is yet to be filled.

I understand the eval process takes time. If BB is remotely interested in KK he needs to let him know the position is yet to be filled.
I do not know if the 'I'll call you' call has happened yet, the information I have is from 3 days ago. That wasn't asked.

The curious part is that the 'It's O'Brien's job' part was volunteered without prompting. Sure, he could be lying, I guess, seeing what he could milk out of Miami. Don't forget that part.

MP and JJ did Mac no favors in '22. We knew that already but seeing it relative to Mac's pinnacle in '21 begs the question why it was allowed to go on.
TLawrence is getting rave reviews this year but Mac reached higher in his first year than TL has in his 2nd year. That gives me hope.
Good coaching matters and Mac had an imbecile driving the bus.
C'mon, BB. Get a competent OC who can bring out the best in Mac.

View: https://twitter.com/austingayle_/status/1613262862209929217

MP and JJ did Mac no favors in '22. We knew that already but seeing it relative to Mac's pinnacle in '21 begs the question why it was allowed to go on.
TLawrence is getting rave reviews this year but Mac reached higher in his first year than TL has in his 2nd year. That gives me hope.
Good coaching matters and Mac had an imbecile driving the bus.
C'mon, BB. Get a competent OC who can bring out the best in Mac.

View: https://twitter.com/austingayle_/status/1613262862209929217

It may continue.

Back