Looking At The Patriots 2022

3/3

The Patriots’ issues on offense and special teams further emphasize what the team has squandered.

Predictably, Belichick has his defense playing well. The Patriots finished the season ranked No. 1 in EPA by defense and rank No. 1 in the same stat over the last three years. Yet they’ve been to the playoffs only once in the three years since Brady left because of the struggles everywhere else.

That sets up the most significant decision Belichick has had to make since Brady left. Is he willing to shake up a coaching staff he’s put a lot of faith in even if it means hiring coaches who haven’t previously worked for him?

Even if the base-level answer for fixing things seems simple (replace Patricia with a new offensive coordinator and replace Achord with Judge), the successor to Patricia isn’t obvious, especially given Belichick’s desire to only hire coaches who have already worked with him. Former OC and Penn State and Texans head coach Bill O’Brien could be a candidate, but he’s coming off a two-year stretch as Alabama OC in which the Crimson Tide have struggled, at least by their lofty standards. O’Brien has overseen eight of Alabama’s 10 worst offensive outputs (based on yards) of the last five years.

“We’ll evaluate everything that we’ve done,” Belichick said Monday morning about his plans for the coaching staff. “There were a lot of positive things over the course of the year across all areas that we can build on. But in the end, it wasn’t what we want it to be or need it to be. We’ll look at everything.”

Beyond just who schemes the offense, the Patriots have to address a roster that doesn’t compare with the best in the league. Belichick handed out $163 million in guarantees during his 2021 free agency frenzy — a figure Kraft surely has top of mind — but all that money hasn’t gotten the Patriots closer to a playoff win, let alone a Super Bowl. (“Over a three-year period, we are one of the lowest-spending teams in the league,” Belichick pointed out.)

The plan hasn’t worked. Belichick has whiffed on the most important roles on his coaching staff, left either unprepared for the exodus from his staff or unwilling to put the faith or effort in someone with whom he’s unfamiliar.

Belichick, who turns 71 in April, confirmed Monday that he plans on returning for his 24th season at the helm. It’s been a run that’s yielded unprecedented success and leaves him with 329 victories as a head coach, 18 shy of matching Don Shula’s record that many around the league believe he wants to supplant before retiring.

But Belichick and the Patriots are 25-25 in their last 50 regular-season games. They’ve turned into the kind of team they used to beat with ease. If success is going to return to Foxboro, it seems change is needed.

On Monday, Belichick said what he often does, that he’ll “do what’s best for the football team.” But what if that goes against everything that brought him to this point?

Thank you for posting this.

Now we know WHY he did what he did. The question is: Can he go against his past and do what he NEEDS to do this year?

How many empires have been ruined by a refusal to see what is right in front off them?

Honestly, this may be the most important test of Bill's career.

why not look at detroit's qb coach? he has goff playing the best he's ever played, including under the #boygenius. i'd say their oc also but det. could say no to a lateral move.
Not a bad idea in terms of level of coach. Will need someone who can handle the workload that BB is known for.
I don't think Kingsbury would want to work for BB.

Not a bad idea in terms of level of coach. Will need someone who can handle the workload that BB is known for.
Does Kingsbury have a reputation as a low effort coach?

Does Kingsbury have a reputation as a low effort coach?
More like BB has a reputation of requiring hard work. And I can't picture Kingsbury wanting to slave away in Foxboro after living the Arizona lifestyle.

While I enjoy reading articles from The Atlantic, who typically give you depth and balance, I found this article largely missed the last part.

They made much of the free agency splash two years ago that has brought us a couple of big underachievers, but didn't mention Judon or
Hunter Henry, nor, for that matter, Kendrick Bourne, Jalen Mills or Davon Godchaux, It's all about the two guys that didn't pan out when it
was a mixed-bag instead of a total whiff as one would assume from reading.

They also didn't say anything about drafting Christian Barmore, Rhamondre, the two Jones kids, Zappe, Thornton and Pierre Strong. They
judged Strange based on "draft projections" which is some weak sauce. That kid is going to be outstanding by next season. They said nothing
about the emergence of Uche, Wise and Onwenu as stars.

It was a hatchet-job masquerading as sober analysis, although the author did an excellent job detailing the enormous brain drain generated
by the departure of Josh McD. 150 years of coaching experience gone. That's going to leave a mark.

Everybody has an angle and this guy's seems to be that Bill should have shitcanned his methods and brought in flashy young dudes in order
to prevent an 8-9 season, which I think is a lazy, cookie-cutter take.

yeah well said as usual hawgie. that was the part (having to bring in "OMGWTFBBQ1!!1!1! NEW BLOOD!!!1!1!") to which i took exception also.

Kingsbury was drafted by the Pats, spent a year with the Team and got a ring out of it, ok a very limited sample size of working with/under BB. I think most coaches would aspire to work with BB, even if they know that it would require a lot of hard work.

I wonder if Kraft might put a little pressure on BB and request that he try to find someone from outside his circle to promote to OC, Kingsbury is a solid candidate and his knowledge and experience could prove useful in getting Assistant Coaches ready as potential successors if he decides he wants another HC gig, be it in College or the NFL.

I don't know why Kingsbury would'nt want to return to Foxborough since BB kept him around way too long waiting for him to turn into the next Brady.And ,umm , yes , I do still have my Kingsbury signed football.😏

Kingsbury was drafted by the Pats, spent a year with the Team and got a ring out of it, ok a very limited sample size of working with/under BB. I think most coaches would aspire to work with BB, even if they know that it would require a lot of hard work.

I wonder if Kraft might put a little pressure on BB and request that he try to find someone from outside his circle to promote to OC, Kingsbury is a solid candidate and his knowledge and experience could prove useful in getting Assistant Coaches ready as potential successors if he decides he wants another HC gig, be it in College or the NFL.

THE fastest way for Kingbury to get another HC gig would be to fix the Patriots offense. High profile job. Success would be talked about on multiple channels each week before and after games.

THE fastest way for Kingbury to get another HC gig would be to fix the Patriots offense. High profile job. Success would be talked about on multiple channels each week before and after games.

By the massive ears of Siciliano, you are 100% right.

I recall somebody, can't remember if it was BB or who, that said preparing a game plan for the Cardinals offense was more work than anybody else because of all the complexities they
present you with.

I'm sure some of that was due to Murray's outstanding wheels, but apparently they do a lot of stuff with their formations and route concepts that were hard to handle.

I think it's important to note that at one point last season the Cards were 10-2 and Kingsbury was being talked about as one of the real ascending stars among all the newer
coaches. They finished 11-6 and made the playoffs losing to the Rams behind an awful performance by their QB. They finished 8th in the NFL in Offense and were
considered a team on the rise. Then, 2022 happened and in a shit storm, everybody gets covered. Even last year's wonder boy.

If we don't interview him, assuming he doesn't want to take a year off to stare out the windows of his swanky desert palace, then I'll be disappointed. Bringing him in would be
a big first step towards fixing our passing game. On the surface, it sure looks something both parties would want to get done.

Whoever he hires he should be doing it as soon as possible and not wait until TC. It would be nice to give Mac and co. a little runway to learn their 3rd offense in 3 years. I don't know if I can take another season of receivers running into each other. I don't care who it is at this point, just someone who actually coaches that side of the ball.

Back