Looking At The Patriots 2022

A 5th for Mason is pretty disappointing, would’ve thought they could’ve secured a 4th or a 3rd for him. But I don’t hate the move. He’s getting older, seemed to drop off the past couple seasons (especially in 2020), and is reaching the critical point of age/productivity/contract where it makes sense to move on.

Last edited:
Lazar likes the Wilson signing and thinks it may mean a change from the 3-4 to the 4-3 or even the 5-2.

5-2???

For real?

The Mason trade is a head scratcher. His contract was friendly and the compensation was low. BB must be very confident with our depth.

I think the Mason trade is the intersection of multiple things, primarily age and value relative to salary/performance.

He's getting old(er). 29 years old (by the start of the regular season) isn't ancient, but it's getting up there for an OG in what will be his 8th NFL season.

He hasn't been as good the past few seasons. He was borderline elite from 2016-2018'ish, but has slipped a bit recently. 2020 was a poor season for him, and while 2021 (last season) was better than 2020, I don't think he returned to the level of play he did during the 2016-2018 timeframe. If you're getting 2016-2018 Mason, you have a fantastic player on a steal of a contract; if you're getting 2020 Mason, he's a liability; if you're getting 2021 Mason, he's a good (not great) player on a reasonable contract.

My biggest gripe with this trade is that a 5th seems a bit modest; a 4th or a 3rd would've been seemingly more reasonable, with a 1st or a 2nd being unrealistic IMO. Ultimately, though, a player's market is the most someone else is willing to offer. The lack of better trade packages on the table may speak to the above points about age/on-field performance (particularly the latter).

I think the Mason trade is the intersection of multiple things, primarily age and value relative to salary/performance.

He's getting old(er). 29 years old (by the start of the regular season) isn't ancient, but it's getting up there for an OG in what will be his 8th NFL season.

He hasn't been as good the past few seasons. He was borderline elite from 2016-2018'ish, but has slipped a bit recently. 2020 was a poor season for him, and while 2021 (last season) was better than 2020, I don't think he returned to the level of play he did during the 2016-2018 timeframe. If you're getting 2016-2018 Mason, you have a fantastic player on a steal of a contract; if you're getting 2020 Mason, he's a liability; if you're getting 2021 Mason, he's a good (not great) player on a reasonable contract.

My biggest gripe with this trade is that a 5th seems a bit modest; a 4th or a 3rd would've been seemingly more reasonable, with a 1st or a 2nd being unrealistic IMO. Ultimately, though, a player's market is the most someone else is willing to offer. The lack of better trade packages on the table may speak to the above points about age/on-field performance (particularly the latter).

And not a dime more.

Pats got a 5th and cap room for a (now) borderline player.

I'm good with it. Bring on the next 22 year old Shaq Mason.

Pretty good so far! How many SB wins do you have? Oh, that's right, fucking ZERO😂😂😂😂😂😂
Jesus, stop answering him. He's that asshole at a party that won't leave you alone, standing too close and breathing his fart-breath in your face as he talks. Just walk away before he touches you and you have to burn your favorite T-shirt.

He ranked 4th (PFF) in the league among Guards.

Yeah, PFF has graded him highly in virtually every season he’s played but to my eye he hasn’t been quite as sharp the past couple seasons as he was earlier in his career (2020, IIRC, was his worst IMO). The fact they were only able to get a 5th rounder for him should be indicative of something.

I also wonder if this could be related to conditioning and fitness. Take a look at Mason in 2016/2017, and then look at him in 2020 and onward; he’s put on a lot of fat recently. His gut is significantly larger now than it was when he was drafted. I can’t know if this was intended by the Pats strength & conditioning staff, but it’s certainly noticeable. I actually remember another poster at PatsFans mentioning it during last season’s training camp, that they thought Mason looked like he’d gained weight.

Last edited:
PFF's offensive line grades were extremely flawed in my eyes this past season.

I saw some decline from Mason in the last month or so of the season, including the playoff game. Perhaps they saw the same, at least to the point where they don't need to bring him back on that number.

Onwenu was ranked 3rd by PFF as a G. Why have Onwenu ride pine when he should be playing?

Besides, $15.8M cap savings over 2022 and 2023 is nothing to sneeze at and BB wanted that flexibility with all the players about to be released because of big bonuses coming due today.

Mason was great as a run blocker but his pass blocking was barely average and did not improve after many years.

This was expected. I posted several times this offseason that Mason would be traded or even released for extra cap.
Rookies are cheap and there are some good OT-to-G prospects in this draft.

Chatham says it well...except for using the 21 pick. Mason was a 4th round pick. BB is great at finding those mid-round plug and play guys at G and C.

View: https://twitter.com/chatham58/status/1503836657937756163

Last edited:
then who is the other guard?

He's not on the team yet. Best answer I have.

(QBs, WRs and DBs have been moving but the OLs haven't been moving so far. They'll start moving soon, possibly today.)

Back