Looking at the Patriots 2023

I love him too, but he almost never does interviews or gets quoted since he started coaching.

He's very smart, very articulate and personable. He's the kind of guy you would instantly accept as a leader.

I've often wondered who does what on our D and have been concerned that Mayo has had to take a back seat to the HC's son who never played
a down of pro football. Maybe Jerod and Steve were great colleagues who weren't ego guys and split the duties, but I've wondered if Mayo was just biding his
time to get out of town.

I hope he stays, but I'm not holding my breath. If he does leave and the D tanks next season, then I'll have my answer.

He's staying. It's as good as done. Read the Pats' press release. "Patriots to extend Jerod Mayo". Doesn't say "want to" or "hope to".
BB and Kraft are both fed up with the constant brain drain that has held the team back.
Steve is young enough to wait. Dad will see to it. Another year or 2 and Mayo could be our HC with Steve as DC. The path is set.

FmT3uUUX0AAUHLE

Last edited:
He's staying. It's as good as done. Read the Pats' press release. "Patriots to extend Jerod Mayo". Doesn't say "want to" or "hope to".
BB and Kraft are both fed up with the constant brain drain that has held the team back.
Steve is young enough to wait. Dad will see to it. Another year or 2 and Mayo could be our HC with Steve as DC. The path is set.

FmT3uUUX0AAUHLE
They could just be doing Mayo a solid by making suitors know it's going to cost them more to get him.

BB has always been supportive of coaches having a chance to grow elsewhere.

They could just be doing Mayo a solid by making suitors know it's going to cost them more to get him.

I see it as eliminating the risk of him leaving for a DC position and guaranteeing that the Pats will either retain him or lose him because he accepts a HC position, in which case the Pats, I believe, will receive 2 3rd round picks.

I feel like another part of the equation for retaining Mayo is stability. We all know changes are afoot and after a rocky season , it's not wise to tip the ship any further than necessary.

I don't think so. Keeping Mayo sets the Pats up well for life after BB which is coming sooner than any of us want to believe. Keep the D great.
Getting a really good OC is another step towards that goal.

Based on today I'd put CB top of list.
Someone 6' or so.
I wouldn't base today's game on a need for CBs. Those two passes Allen threw would have beat the majority of the best CBs in the league. At some point you have to just tip your hat because you can count on less than 5 fingers the number of QBs that can make those throws with any consistency.

FmT3uUUX0AAUHLE

I think that’s really risky and dangerous to say Steve is young enough to wait. What? Steve Belichick is the best coach on that defensive staff right now and the biggest reason this defense was good despite some major holes at key defensive positions (CB1, MLB, DT, FS). Go back and look at this kid’s career, success has followed every single position group or responsibility he’s gotten from elevating safeties, to low-pick CBs into all pros, to outside linebackers beasting this year, to play-calling a top5 defense this year despite mediocre talent.

The Pats would take a major step back if it accidentally blocked Steve Belichick’s advancement where the guy had to go elsewhere. I’d rather elevate Steve from play-caller to DC and Mayo can leave.

I recently heard (from someone who could theoretically know, but who knows) that the kid is a film rat and perfectionist. That personality type where every individual lost battle is fuel for improvement and motivation. The exact wording concluded with something like "it's like he ate Tom Brady, swelled up to north of 3 bills, and Tom took over control of his feedback loops and rewards center driving his attitude towards preparation and improvement." FWIW. Could be totally made up, but it'd be weird to do that and oddly specific.

The Pats would take a major step back if it accidentally blocked Steve Belichick’s advancement where the guy had to go elsewhere. I’d rather elevate Steve from play-caller to DC and Mayo can leave.

Of course, you are correct. Make the move that guarantees one of them leaves instead of the move that keeps both.

:dith:

Back