Looking at the Patriots 2023

Here's a look at the Patriots home and road opponents for the 2023 NFL campaign.

Whatta ya think? 14-3 or 15-2?? How about 8-9 just like 2022??

Home​

• Buffalo Bills
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New York Jets
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Washington Commanders
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • New Orleans Saints

Away​

• Buffalo Bills
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Denver Broncos
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New York Jets
  • New York Giants
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Indianapolis Colts

Home​

• Buffalo Bills - L
  • Kansas City Chiefs - L
  • Los Angeles Chargers - W
  • Miami Dolphins - W
  • New York Jets - W
  • Philadelphia Eagles - L
  • Washington Commanders - W
  • Pittsburgh Steelers - W
  • New Orleans Saints - W

Away​

• Buffalo Bills - L
  • Dallas Cowboys - L
  • Denver Broncos - W
  • Miami Dolphins - L
  • New York Jets - W
  • New York Giants - W
  • Las Vegas Raiders - W
  • Indianapolis Colts - W
11-6 WC

LSU football coach Brian Kelly indicates all current coaching & support staff are in good standing.
LSU football coach Brian Kelly debunked Internet fodder into his program after reports surfaced from two national outlets with claims that a player, coach and support staff had acted inappropriately. Jan 3, 2023

As far as I can tell all the coaches who were alleged to have been involved are still on LSU's staff. Cortez Hankton, Belton and Phillips are still on LSU's staff as is Destiny Wilson.
This is a bunch of nonsense if you ask me.

The original rumor of this sex party came from The Old Row, a Texas A&M alumni booster group.
Here it is. Nothing about this story has been determined to be valid but the interwebz picked it up and ran with it.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm5WywuMOu5/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Anyone remember the shitshow the prosecutor threw at a bunch of Soccer players in NC about 10 years ago?

I do.

I know nothing of this current situation but I do remember this not ending well for the prosecutor and accusing party.

JC Jackson was a 1st round talent who fell out of the draft due to character issues.

Boutte is a former 1st round caliber talent where it is unclear how wrecked his ankle is.

Here's a look at the Patriots home and road opponents for the 2023 NFL campaign.

Whatta ya think? 14-3 or 15-2?? How about 8-9 just like 2022??

Home​

• Buffalo Bills
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New York Jets
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Washington Commanders
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • New Orleans Saints

Away​

• Buffalo Bills
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Denver Broncos
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New York Jets
  • New York Giants
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Indianapolis Colts

With the reported hardest schedule in the league, an 8-9 record like last year's may actually be evidence of an improvement.

Btw, it's too early for any sane person to predict anything about this team.

With the reported hardest schedule in the league, an 8-9 record like last year's may actually be evidence of an improvement.

Or any team. Strength of schedule can only be determined after the fact.

Yeah, so what? Take a stab at it!

It’s fun.

Or any team. Strength of schedule can only be determined after the fact.
Even after the season, it is still a nonsensical stat. It's based on your record versus the records of all the teams you played. But if your team loses every single game, it might not be because they played a hard schedule. it could be because your your team sucks so bad it couldn't beat The Little Sisters of the Poor.

By being such a suck team you've handed out 16 wins to up the record of all those teams who beat you, not so much because they are all powerhouses but they were lucky enough to play your suckass team, which looks like it played a hard schedule only because the records of all your opponents each had an extra win simply by playing you.

It's like a statistical Escher staircase.

I was just looking at some too-early power rankings, and they had the Patriots at 19. I would put them at 14, and I think they have the potential to stretch into the top ~8. That's power. That doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into W/L record. The division is brutal, they have 4 games against teams that are in everyone's top 5, 9 against teams in most top 10s, and they only have 1-2 games on the schedule against teams that are likely to be terrible.

And yet...

Without knowing the schedule, byes, short weeks, travel weeks, etc., I think there's 10 wins there, squeaking into the playoffs as a team that no one wants to face, much like Jacksonville and Seattle were last year.

This defense has the potential to be nasty, and will almost certainly be better in weeks 15-18 than 1-4. They can matchup nicely against Miami's speed and Buffalo's size. The biggest question is how quickly someone gets up to speed in DMac's brain of the defense role. There is depth, flexibility, experience, and athleticism.

The offense has depth and flexibility, but not star power. Mac doesn't need to be a top 5 QB to make this offense go, though. Being a top 5 point guard should be sufficient to keep the defense out of bad situations and score enough most of the time. If Thornton has a 2nd year leap, and the tackles are adequate, this offense could dramatically outperform. If either one of those things happens they should be good enough to get to the playoffs, and if they're peaking at the right time, they could be very dangerous.

Special teams outright lost them two games last year, and that doesn't count Buffalo2. Back to adequacy should be enough.

The defense has very few areas of true weakness, which should provide consistency. They also have a broad range of options to deploy as chess pieces at a variety of positions, which should allow BB, Steve, and Mayo to scheme away part of opposing offenses. And with the pure playmaking ability and instincts of all 3 Joneses, Dugger, Uche, Judon, and potential emergence of playmaking ability in guys like Barmore and Gonzalez, they're going to get the ball back for the offense...a lot. The offense should, at the very least, have improved enough to not constantly be dumping additional strain on the defense. The benefit of moving on from Meyers (opportunity cost of having him as a security blanket, and the predictability of him as the target at critical times) will become apparent by midyear.

This could be a year of highly complementary football. As I said, right now I'd place them at around 14, ahead of teams like Pittsburgh, Vikings, Browns, Saints, and Giants, but behind Seattle, Detroit, Chargers and Jags. I think their floor is probably in the 19-21 range, ceiling in the 6-8 range. I don't see a reasonable way that by year's end they are a better team than KC, Philly, Cinci, or Buffalo, or SF if the 9ers get even reasonable play at QB. But they could definitely be better than one or more of Detroit, Chargers, Dolphins, Jets. And possibly the Seahawks, Jags, Cowboys, and/or Ravens if things break well.

All that is assuming a reasonably low & even level of injuries. When you take the attrition of a 17 game NFL season into account, the Pats look better, not worse. There are very few teams that can better absorb injuries to key starters than the Patriots. Of the 13 teams I put ahead of them now, 8 are AFC teams. I think it's a solid bet that they end up better than at least 2 of those 8, and are a playoff-worthy team. Given their schedule, that might not be enough to get in unless they get to that level more quickly than normal.

Yeah, so what? Take a stab at it!

It’s fun.
Ok.
I was just looking at some too-early power rankings, and they had the Patriots at 19. I would put them at 14, and I think they have the potential to stretch into the top ~8. That's power. That doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into W/L record. The division is brutal, they have 4 games against teams that are in everyone's top 5, 9 against teams in most top 10s, and they only have 1-2 games on the schedule against teams that are likely to be terrible.

And yet...

Without knowing the schedule, byes, short weeks, travel weeks, etc., I think there's 10 wins there, squeaking into the playoffs as a team that no one wants to face, much like Jacksonville and Seattle were last year.

This defense has the potential to be nasty, and will almost certainly be better in weeks 15-18 than 1-4. They can matchup nicely against Miami's speed and Buffalo's size. The biggest question is how quickly someone gets up to speed in DMac's brain of the defense role. There is depth, flexibility, experience, and athleticism.

The offense has depth and flexibility, but not star power. Mac doesn't need to be a top 5 QB to make this offense go, though. Being a top 5 point guard should be sufficient to keep the defense out of bad situations and score enough most of the time. If Thornton has a 2nd year leap, and the tackles are adequate, this offense could dramatically outperform. If either one of those things happens they should be good enough to get to the playoffs, and if they're peaking at the right time, they could be very dangerous.

Special teams outright lost them two games last year, and that doesn't count Buffalo2. Back to adequacy should be enough.

The defense has very few areas of true weakness, which should provide consistency. They also have a broad range of options to deploy as chess pieces at a variety of positions, which should allow BB, Steve, and Mayo to scheme away part of opposing offenses. And with the pure playmaking ability and instincts of all 3 Joneses, Dugger, Uche, Judon, and potential emergence of playmaking ability in guys like Barmore and Gonzalez, they're going to get the ball back for the offense...a lot. The offense should, at the very least, have improved enough to not constantly be dumping additional strain on the defense. The benefit of moving on from Meyers (opportunity cost of having him as a security blanket, and the predictability of him as the target at critical times) will become apparent by midyear.

This could be a year of highly complementary football. As I said, right now I'd place them at around 14, ahead of teams like Pittsburgh, Vikings, Browns, Saints, and Giants, but behind Seattle, Detroit, Chargers and Jags. I think their floor is probably in the 19-21 range, ceiling in the 6-8 range. I don't see a reasonable way that by year's end they are a better team than KC, Philly, Cinci, or Buffalo, or SF if the 9ers get even reasonable play at QB. But they could definitely be better than one or more of Detroit, Chargers, Dolphins, Jets. And possibly the Seahawks, Jags, Cowboys, and/or Ravens if things break well.

All that is assuming a reasonably low & even level of injuries. When you take the attrition of a 17 game NFL season into account, the Pats look better, not worse. There are very few teams that can better absorb injuries to key starters than the Patriots. Of the 13 teams I put ahead of them now, 8 are AFC teams. I think it's a solid bet that they end up better than at least 2 of those 8, and are a playoff-worthy team. Given their schedule, that might not be enough to get in unless they get to that level more quickly than normal.

What he said.

Wait till you guys see the support the Patriots will get in Germany....

4xqjmzri13.jpeg

Pity it's not in Cologne, more bars and breweries than anywhere else and home to their local brew style, Kolsch!

When you sit down at a bar there, they bring you the beer straight away, and when the glass is empty, they just bring you a fresh one and keep score on the beer mat. When you're done, you put the beer mat on the glass.

Maybe Frankfurt has the same. I'm there this week again; I will have to check it out!

146.jpg

The stadium is the Deutsche Bank Stadium, very near the airport. It's nice. It's home to Eintracht Frankfurt soccer club.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 13.26.46.png

The fans are, eh, shall we say, passionate?

21-22-eintracht-frankfurt-borussia-moenchengladbach_003.jpg

eintracht-frankfurt.jpg

The stadium is the Deutsche Bank Stadium, very near the airport. It's nice. It's home to Eintracht Frankfurt soccer club. .... The fans are, eh, shall we say, passionate? ...

I've never been to Germany, but I've met some Germans while traveling in the Netherlands and in France.

They were very nice.

And the Dutch and the French still hate the Germans with a passion, no matter how nice they (the Germans) are. My travels to that part of Europe were a couple of decades ago, but I doubt attitudes have changed very much since then.

I've never been to Germany, but I've met some Germans while traveling in the Netherlands and in France.

They were very nice.

And the Dutch and the French still hate the Germans with a passion, no matter how nice they (the Germans) are. My travels to that part of Europe were a couple of decades ago, but I doubt attitudes have changed very much since then.

They have changed to be frank with you. I work with a German company, am in Hamburg once a month, and travel to Frankfurt often. I also work with Dutch, Belgian, Italian, Luxembourg etc etc companies, and any dislike of Germans just is not there anymore. The Dutch still have a jokey saying, "Waar is mijn rada?", which means where is my bike. When the Germans were in full retreat in WWII, the fleeing soldiers basically robbed any bike they could find to get the hell out of Patton's way. The Dutch sing that at the German fans when they play soccer.

But there is no dislike anymore. Germany is unrecognisable from the country it was up to the 1940s. The vast majority of the people changed completely, and nothing could ever force them back to the dark years IMHO.

The British and Germans have a good-natured rivalry as well; it mostly comes up, again, when they're playing big soccer games at world cups or European championships.

They have changed to be frank with you. I work with a German company, am in Hamburg once a month, and travel to Frankfurt often. I also work with Dutch, Belgian, Italian, Luxembourg etc etc companies, and any dislike of Germans just is not there anymore. The Dutch still have a jokey saying, "Waar is mijn rada?", which means where is my bike. When the Germans were in full retreat in WWII, the fleeing soldiers basically robbed any bike they could find to get the hell out of Patton's way. The Dutch sing that at the German fans when they play soccer.

But there is no dislike anymore. Germany is unrecognisable from the country it was up to the 1940s. The vast majority of the people changed completely, and nothing could ever force them back to the dark years IMHO.

The British and Germans have a good-natured rivalry as well; it mostly comes up, again, when they're playing big soccer games at world cups or European championships.
That's good to hear. Thanks for posting that.

Back