Looking at the Patriots 2023

I came here to read about Trey Flowers reunion tour and I have to scroll back through tired boring takes on BB, Brady and making your own luck. Good grief. Get over it and join us in the present. The past is over.

I wonder which current Patriots played for NFL champions. The new Patriot, Trey Flowers, did. As did Matthew Slater. David Andrews. Trent Brown. Lawrence Guy. Deitrich Wise. I'm not sure about players who are new, from other teams. What do you think? Anyone else?

I wonder which current Patriots played for NFL champions. The new Patriot, Trey Flowers, did. As did Matthew Slater. David Andrews. Trent Brown. Lawrence Guy. Deitrich Wise. I'm not sure about players who are new, from other teams. What do you think? Anyone else?

That's possibly a big reason Flowers was brought on board. BB has always liked having veteran mentors on board to teach the young bucks about our culture and how it's done.
Trey may be able to help us some on the field but in my mind he has a more important role to play.

That's possibly a big reason Flowers was brought on board. BB has always liked having veteran mentors on board to teach the young bucks about our culture and how it's done.
Trey may be able to help us some on the field but in my mind he has a more important role to play.
I think, hear me out. Belichick isn't blind to Judon wearing down down the stretch the last two seasons. Flowers can play outside on run downs and inside on pass downs, rotating with Judon, Wise, etc.

And you know, if he somehow figures out how not to be injured, Judon, Flowers, Barmore, Uche and the Rook is a pretty damned fine pass rush rotation.

Nope, I just mean generally. Your pal is going to have an entire 2023 of seething and jealousy and gnashing of teeth.

I hope so but...
our defense has generated 20 sacks over the past three days of team drills. Our offensive line situation is sad and will remain sad until all starters return to action. It's concerning.

So I was surprised, no actually shocked to see how low we are ranked in some power rankings. Here is the CBS one which ranks us at 27 out of 32 teams. No respect given to our defense and improved offense at all. The primary reason for the ranking was stated as Mac Jones - does he play like last year or does he take a step forward. Can't beleive teams like the Falcons and Bears are ranked ahead of us. I, like many of you, can't wait to prove the pundits wrong.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 10.39.38 AM.png

I don't really see it that way. I think we need more power up front because we are weak at FS. I think Bill understands that given the offenses we have to face this year, that our secondary is only going to be able to cover for so long. Also, given Judon gets gassed toward the end of the season, it will be good to have Flowers in the rotation to give Judon some breathers. I mean I love the guy because his motor is always at 10 but he has shown that he can't do that for 17 games.

I think, hear me out. Belichick isn't blind to Judon wearing down down the stretch the last two seasons. Flowers can play outside on run downs and inside on pass downs, rotating with Judon, Wise, etc.

And you know, if he somehow figures out how not to be injured, Judon, Flowers, Barmore, Uche and the Rook is a pretty damned fine pass rush rotation.
Great minds think alike ... 🥂

So I was surprised, no actually shocked to see how low we are ranked in some power rankings. Here is the CBS one which ranks us at 27 out of 32 teams. No respect given to our defense and improved offense at all. The primary reason for the ranking was stated as Mac Jones - does he play like last year or does he take a step forward. Can't beleive teams like the Falcons and Bears are ranked ahead of us. I, like many of you, can't wait to prove the pundits wrong.

View attachment 18161
I think a lot of that ranking is also based on our schedule. We have the #1 toughest schedule in the league and the Jete are no longer a guaranteed +2 wins.

I don't really see it that way. I think we need more power up front because we are weak at FS. I think Bill understands that given the offenses we have to face this year, that our secondary is only going to be able to cover for so long. Also, given Judon gets gassed toward the end of the season, it will be good to have Flowers in the rotation to give Judon some breathers. I mean I love the guy because his motor is always at 10 but he has shown that he can't do that for 17 games.

He's 4 years older than when he played for the Pats. 30 isn't all that young in NFL years for a D Lineman. His motor may not be running at max rpm these days.
In the last 3 years, he's only been available to play for 18 games, spending time on IR each year. He's played only 33 of 67 games since leaving us.
Rotational use, sure; I already mentioned that. Mentor capacity, however, is full time.

Look at his vet minimum team friendly contract to see how BB views his production value.
Base salary: $1.165 million (veteran minimum with 6 years of service) (incl. only $50,000 guaranteed)
Roster bonuses: $510,000
Incentives: $825,000
Salary cap hit: $1.285 million. More than half his potential $2.5M earnings are NLTBE incentives.
Miguel says he replaced a player at the bottom of the "top 51" and the net loss of cap space amounts to only $365K. That's a team friendly deal if ever there was one.

As I said, I'm hopeful he can play well for us but not optimistic.

He's 4 years older than when he played for the Pats. 30 isn't all that young in NFL years for a D Lineman. His motor may not be running at max rpm these days.
In the last 3 years, he's only been available to play for 18 games, spending time on IR each year. He's played only 33 of 67 games since leaving us.
Rotational use, sure; I already mentioned that. Mentor capacity, however, is full time.

Look at his vet minimum team friendly contract to see how BB views his production value.
Base salary: $1.165 million (veteran minimum with 6 years of service) (incl. only $50,000 guaranteed)
Roster bonuses: $510,000
Incentives: $825,000
Salary cap hit: $1.285 million. More than half his potential $2.5M earnings are NLTBE incentives.
Miguel says he replaced a player at the bottom of the "top 51" and the net loss of cap space amounts to only $365K. That's a team friendly deal if ever there was one.

As I said, I'm hopeful he can play well for us but not optimistic.
I was talking about Judon having the motor that is always on. I see Flowers as a situational player used primarily to give Judon a breather so he is fresh down the stretch.

View attachment 18161
i think that is way too low, but like Mazz said, with the tough schedule and unknown how Mac will perform, I'm not goign to worry about power rankings.
how pats rank in week 6, week 10, week 16 I'll be more concerned, and I think both team and Mac will be thought more highly of

Last edited:
i think that is way too low, but like Mazz said, with the tough schedule and unknown how Mac will perform, I'm not goign to worry about power rankings.
how pats rank in week 6, week 10, week 16 I'll be more concerned, and I think both team and Mac will be thought more highly off
I believe the Pats will be better than most, even those on here.

Strength of schedule this year will need to be considered.

Back