Looking at the Patriots 2023

I didn't think the QB thing was that interesting.

I did think cutting down to 2 RBs, neither of which is a change of pace/pass catching back, was interesting. If they lose Taylor and are leaning solely on Montgomery for that role, that seems crazy, especially in a BOB offense.

I wonder if the contingency plan is this:
Been trying to think of who Douglas reminds me of, and it just came to me. His movement reminds me of Kevin Faulk. That jab step, that floating/hovering change of direction after the catch where defenders slide across his face and brush him with fingertips.

Kevin Faulk was 5'8", 200. Built a little bigger than Douglas, but he was a running back. But it makes me wonder if Douglas might also take some of those Faulk passing plays, the jet and orbit motions, the whip and whip-wheel route along with the screens and arrows.
Not that he'd pull duties in pass pro, but that he might have a parallel function in the offense at times. That he'd motion in or through the backfield, take some of the "leak" routes and checkdown routes that White/Faulk types have historically manned.

That, paired with Zeke in pass pro and/or a 3rd OT or blocking TE, might make the offense multiple and difficult to plan around.

Was also thinking about Tyquan. I'd kinda written him off like the rest of you, but I wonder, is this just a small sample size anomaly?

He was basically a full time contributor for 4 years at Baylor, and missed a total of 3 games due to injury. He hit the turf countless times in practice and games, was tackled countless times. Sure, NFL defenders are that much bigger and stronger than the Big12. But are we to believe that the turf is harder in the NFL?

At least the most recent injury seems like a freak occurrence that appeared to be a pattern because of the narrative that he's fragile. Something to consider.

That said, I've been disappointed at the development of Thornton's route running and his failure to make it impossible for the staff to keep him off the field. If people are worried on that score, that makes sense, but it's way early to just write him off as a bust. If it's that he's injury prone? ...I think there's evidence that we're looking at an anomaly. At the very least, it's awfully early to think it's a pattern given extensive evidence to the contrary.

I didn't think the QB thing was that interesting.

I did think cutting down to 2 RBs, neither of which is a change of pace/pass catching back, was interesting. If they lose Taylor and are leaning solely on Montgomery for that role, that seems crazy, especially in a BOB offense.

I wonder if the contingency plan is this:

Not that he'd pull duties in pass pro, but that he might have a parallel function in the offense at times. That he'd motion in or through the backfield, take some of the "leak" routes and checkdown routes that White/Faulk types have historically manned.

That, paired with Zeke in pass pro and/or a 3rd OT or blocking TE, might make the offense multiple and difficult to plan around.

Mike told me that Douglas was going to be a special player for us after watching his first practice. Then I saw him on video and knew just what influenced Mike to say that. I was sold.

Sam Roberts? I agree that he has more upside and is cheaper, but is a wildly different player. You see Roberts as a potential zero/NT run stopper?
As a depth player , yes, he took snaps at Dt, and the nose. Rotational.

Was also thinking about Tyquan. I'd kinda written him off like the rest of you, but I wonder, is this just a small sample size anomaly?

He was basically a full time contributor for 4 years at Baylor, and missed a total of 3 games due to injury. He hit the turf countless times in practice and games, was tackled countless times. Sure, NFL defenders are that much bigger and stronger than the Big12. But are we to believe that the turf is harder in the NFL?

At least the most recent injury seems like a freak occurrence that appeared to be a pattern because of the narrative that he's fragile. Something to consider.

That said, I've been disappointed at the development of Thornton's route running and his failure to make it impossible for the staff to keep him off the field. If people are worried on that score, that makes sense, but it's way early to just write him off as a bust. If it's that he's injury prone? ...I think there's evidence that we're looking at an anomaly. At the very least, it's awfully early to think it's a pattern given extensive evidence to the contrary.
He is too small. He’s what?, 6’2 185?
I think about myself, I’m closer to 6’3 than 6’2, 195, I do three sets of 14 pull ups, and I bench 200 in three sets of 12.
I would get crushed by NFL guys. Crushed.
185 at that height is tiny. Not just tiny, but very small framed. It makes a difference when you have long arms. You’ve got to be careful when you’re lifting.

I think about myself, I’m closer to 6’3 than 6’2, 195, I do three sets of 14 pull ups, and I bench 200 in three sets of 12.
185 at that height is tiny. Not just tiny, but very small framed. It makes a difference when you have long arms. You’ve got to be careful when you’re lifting.

LOL.

What is your 40?

...and yet, one injury over 4 years of power 5 college ball. He got hurt hitting the turf this year, which means exactly one injury has come from NFL guys. That's a single datapoint, and a flukey outlier. But it fits a preconception, so it looks like a pattern.

What about this dude?
devonta-smith-feature-inline.jpg

...Devonte Smith not worth a trade offer in your mind?

Excuse me sir. Could you find your way to my Fitness thread? 🤣

Excuse me sir. Could you find your way to my Fitness thread? 🤣
I understand the response to what I posted, but my main point is that Thornton is 6’2, or 6’3, and can’t get above 190 on an NFL diet and training program.
The guy has a tiny frame. You can see it in pictures. When you are that height and that sleight of frame there’s a limit to how much muscle you can put on before it starts causing injuries.
You can get away with that against mid level college competition. In the NFL he’s always going to be banged up if he’s getting regular targets.
Laugh, call me a hater, whatever, but he’s not going to be a steady contributor.
And I was excited about drafting him. I never viewed him as a number one, but I was hoping he’d be a steady role player. I think I was wrong. The guy can’t hold up.
And I don’t expect Devonte Smith to hold up in the long term either. Your right he’s a good comp for Thornton.

...and yet, one injury over 4 years of power 5 college ball. He got hurt hitting the turf this year, which means exactly one injury has come from NFL guys. That's a single datapoint, and a flukey outlier. But it fits a preconception, so it looks like a pattern.

What about this dude?
View attachment 18471

...Devonte Smith not worth a trade offer in your mind?
If I'm not mistaken, his injury last year was something that additional muscle mass wouldn't have helped to prevent.

If I'm not mistaken, his injury last year was something that additional muscle mass wouldn't have helped to prevent.
Yes, possibly. WRs don't tend to be built like Ted Johnson, but it's a sliding scale. My point is that that makes it one of one, after 4 years of almost injury free major college ball. This year's injury was caused by the ground and so, if that was a consequence of build, should have been something we saw over the course of his college career.

Will he wear down over time? Likely. But Marvin Harrison was a stick figure, as was Ocho. They filled out some later in their careers, but they were very similar builds to Thornton and Smith early.

Pats interested in Mason Rudolph?

Rumor from Steelers fan site is that high interest between Steelers and Pats for a Rudolph trade. This report came out after Pats resigned Zappe/Cunningham is it isn't just another knee-jerk reaction like the Boston media (OMG-the Pats are going to start the season with only 1 QB)

I'm fine with Zappe as a backup, but Mason is okay with me as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJbB2PoPMuU

Pats interested in Mason Rudolph?

Rumor from Steelers fan site is that high interest between Steelers and Pats for a Rudolph trade. This report came out after Pats resigned Zappe/Cunningham is it isn't just another knee-jerk reaction like the Boston media (OMG-the Pats are going to start the season with only 1 QB)

I'm fine with Zappe as a backup, but Mason is okay with me as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJbB2PoPMuU

Interesting rumor, but I've generally found Chat Sports to be awful, unsourced clickbait.

Back