Mangini Off to a Stellar Start in Cleveland

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Mangini rides the short bus home:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/31/June1/3.html
I think I wouldn't be bothered so much by the news of Eric Mangini sending his rookie class on a 10-hour bus ride to Hartford to work at his weekend football camp for underprivileged kids -- if he and his coaches hadn't flown there. There's something about that that's just wrong. And though I hear he did take the bus back with the players late Saturday, it's clear that the rookies felt they had to do this. The bottom line, though, is a coach shouldn't enlist people who he barely knows to go work a camp for him, even if the camp is a tremendous idea, which it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voluntary? Any rookie saying, "no," would've experienced what it's like not getting you wife anything for your anniversary because she said, "it's no big deal". :whip2:

It's easy to pass this off as Mangini creating a "group bonding" experience for his rookies, but I think it shows quite a bit about Mangini's character: he's willing to coerce folks through the abuse of his power to "volunteer" for events that have his name attached to them. Not really much different from Jane Swift getting her aides to "volunteer" to babysit for her. Only a novice doesn't understand the appearance of impropriety can be as damaging to your reputation as an impropriety itself.

He better win....and soon.

Actually this has been blown way out of proportion by the Cleveland press. I saw someone posting twitter comments from a Cleveland player (assuming its not a fake twitter account) on PFT and the player said they just joked and made the best of the bus ride, no big deal.

20 hours on a bus? No f'n way jose. I wouldn't take a 3 hour bus ride.

Mangini is a f'n retard.

Well, I do expect Mangina to continue with the excellence that is the proud Cleveland sports history...:insane:

Everything about Cleveland is simply "fail". Mangini and Cleveland are a match made in failure heaven.

It keeps getting better. From Lombardi over at the National Football Post:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/06/sunday-at-the-post-7/
I have not heard from anyone who works in Cleveland or talked to anyone who works for the Browns who’s happy with the offseason work schedule. Coaches are working until almost midnight in June, creating a very unhappy work place. Working until midnight in June is not a good sign. The morale in Cleveland is a little low right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It keeps getting better. From Lombardi over at the National Football Post:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/06/sunday-at-the-post-7/
I have not heard from anyone who works in Cleveland or talked to anyone who works for the Browns who’s happy with the offseason work schedule. Coaches are working until almost midnight in June, creating a very unhappy work place. Working until midnight in June is not a good sign. The morale in Cleveland is a little low right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't hold your breath.

Back