Mankins traded to the Bucs!!

I was totally serious about that being the reason, couldn't you tell? :rolleyes: I don't really want him on the team I just like the thought of pissing people off.

Dude, it's ok to admit you never worked in a macho atmosphere and don't get it. I loved it, but it's not for everyone. I'm mentally weak when it comes to the thought of cutting someone's eyeball open. So what? So I don't become an eye surgeon. We all have our weaknesses. Martin never even complained to his coach or any of his teammates. They were all absolutely stunned he felt the way he did. He was trolling and saving voicemails while playing along so he could lawsuit bait. It's also ok to admit you never worked in HR like I did and don't get how employee "baiters" work.
Or perhaps Martin decided to try to deal with it without crying to the coaching staff. I have been a coach at the high school and college level and sometimes guys do try to deal with it internally expecting it to end after a while This went on for over a year The other players were not stunned only the clowns that wouldn't stop say that they didn't realise it. Others have come out and said they felt it was too far and to over the top. I do not think Martin was doing any baiting. He gained nothing.

I was reading through this thread and I just had to chuckle. It's amusing because of how we as fans regardless of the team, react when a trade/release of a popular player happens. First we decry how stupid it is, how we just don't see what the team is thinking. Then we acclimate ourselves to the point where it's not such a big deal and how we can kinda see where the team is heading. Finally ending up at the inevitable conclusion, that's it's obvious why the trade happened and why it's without a doubt, going to improve the team.

**just an observation, nuffin against Mankins or Pat's fans**
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure just a bit of info for you. Some of us have been saying Mankins was over rated for years now. I am one that as soon as I got the news was very much relieved that he is gone.

I mean, he's not a bad player. He's appears to be mentally unstable and a raging douchebag though.

He's not a good player either. Let's be honest, that Dolphins line wasn't exactly great when he was there. He's a JAG. Some here think he's John Hannah for some reason.

He's not a good player either. Let's be honest, that Dolphins line wasn't exactly great when he was there. He's a JAG. Some here think he's John Hannah for some reason.

OK I give you that. If you want a guard with a mean streak. He's your guy. He take BB place of being the most hatred person on the pats ROFL.

He showed in his days as a patriot. He refuses to take a pay cut. Remember the 10 game holdout. Now we can see what Kline can do as the starting LG.

The last time we traded a player with initials LM near the end of preseason things worked out pretty well.

And anyone who thinks this was easy for BB is mad. This would have been a very difficult decision for BB who contrary to what the general public think, is not a cold hearted robot. Look at the way he is with players, with opposition players who he really respects like Ed Reed, Jason Taylor, Chad, Dwight Freeney and co. He's first and foremost a football mad guy, loves the game, has been involved in it since birth. And someone like Mankins would have been one of his favourites, a great patriot who gave that team much needed mental toughness.

This would have been a very difficult trade for BB to make. He's able to do this because his guiding principle is about sustainability and doing what's best for his team. But it still doesn't make having to do these things easy for him. I admire him even more for doing it knowing the kind of guy he is.

With LaFell and now Wright we at last have some big receivers. **Wright is Julio Jones sized really. Exactly the kind of receivers Tom needs. Along with Edelman, Amedola, KT, Dobson and a healthy Gronk and we can get very giddy indeed about the receiving corp.

Pats' taller receiving targets now:

Maneri - 6071/265 (not much at receiver and probably gone soon)
Gronk - 6062/265
Hooman - 6035/264
Develin - 6031/251
Wright - 6030/219 (maybe a bit bulkier by now)
**Julio Jones - 6026/220
Dobson - 6030/210 (also maybe a bit bulkier)
LaFell - 6024/211
(Tyms - 6011/203)
Thompkins - 6005/193

Indeed, which is why I suggested keeping a multi functional guy, like Maneri (or Kline), in Hooman's place.

Both Maneri and Kline are the equal, if not better, run blockers than Hooman and offer the additional benefit of being able to play along the OL as well.

But neither has a snowball's chance in hell of slipping out into routes for anything close to 136 receiving yards. I'm seriously not seeing the value upgrade there.

Mike's assessment of Tim Wright is spot on imo.

Here are a few thoughts after a mini-film study on tight end Tim Wright after reviewing games against the New England Patriots (Week 3), Miami Dolphins (Week 10) and San Francisco 49ers (Week 15) last season:

i

Wright
Physical profile. Wright is listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, which makes him more of a big receiver than a traditional tight end. He played receiver at Rutgers before moving to tight end in the NFL as a rookie last season.

System adaptation. Wright came on strong late last season in coordinator Mike Sullivan's Giants-type offense -- in the Week 15 game against San Francisco one Fox television analyst opined that he was "one of the best two or three rookie tight ends in football right now" -- but he had not emerged this preseason in Jeff Tedford's offense. This will be his third offensive system in two NFL seasons. He was part of Tampa's hurry-up package, which is a big part of what the Patriots do.

Alignment and blocking. Wright aligned detached from the line in the slot, in the offensive backfield, and on the line of scrimmage, while also being used in motion at times. Regardless of where he aligned, he most often released into pass routes. Because of his size, he is not the type of tight end who will consistently be effective as an in-line blocker, but it's not for lack of effort. He does show a willingness to mix it up at times, especially at the second level (nice block on Miami LB Philip Wheeler on a 26-yard run, 12:42 remaining in first quarter). Wright seldom stayed in to block in the passing game, and if he did, it was most often what we saw on the final play of the first quarter against the Patriots -- a chip of an edge-rusher before releasing into a pass route. When he was matched up on Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones and asked to run block (13:37 remaining, second quarter) on the back side, Jones easily tossed him aside. At one point in the second quarter against the 49ers (5:40 remaining), he whiffed on a run-blocking attempt against Ahmad Brooks. So banging at the line of scrimmage isn't necessarily his game, but he was still competitive outside of a few noticeable miscues. You're not going to put him in the game with the intention of running behind him.

Route-running a strength. Wright nearly had a touchdown catch against the Patriots as he ran a solid corner route against zone coverage and flashed open in the back left-hand corner of the end zone but the ball sailed through his hands. "In the NFL, you have to make that catch," Fox analyst John Lynch said on the broadcast that day. Overall, though, Wright looks to have reliable hands. He also looks like a smooth route-runner who seems to have a feel for finding openings underneath against zone coverage, but also runs well enough to attack down the field (e.g. 24-yard touchdown catch against 49ers). He is fluid coming out of his breaks, and sets up his routes nicely. One issue is when defenders are able to get their hands on him at the line, as Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower did (2:42 remaining, first quarter) when Wright aligned with his hand in the ground next to the right tackle and it disrupted his route.

Summary. Wright gives the Patriots a different look at tight end as he's more of a "move" option, similar to what the team had with Aaron Hernandez from 2010-2012. His skill set could nicely complement Rob Gronkowski and help create more matchup problems for defenses. He's still growing into the position.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ght?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I was reading through this thread and I just had to chuckle. It's amusing because of how we as fans regardless of the team, react when a trade/release of a popular player happens. First we decry how stupid it is, how we just don't see what the team is thinking. Then we acclimate ourselves to the point where it's not such a big deal and how we can kinda see where the team is heading. Finally ending up at the inevitable conclusion, that's it's obvious why the trade happened and why it's without a doubt, going to improve the team.

Part of it is losing a long time starter for a guy who most haven't really heard of. Mankins has been sliding for a while and, at first, I was stunned by the trade, but after looking at his cap $ and the fact they may have actually found the Hernandez replacement, it makes a lot of sense.

A team's second highest cap # should not be used on an offensive guard who allowed 11 sacks last year (9 coming after week 9).

Back