MERGED: Colts Sign Freeney

Would anyone mind if I just simplified this whole thread?

Pats fans: Colts suck!

Colt fans: No they don't

/repeat

You've been having a lot of anti-tax rallies lately. [/B]

so, your proof is about 100 old fogies who showed up to bitch and complain?

that might be enough people to sway a poll on this here site, but not nearly enough to effect the goings on in a single township, county, or state.

PS on 07-13-2007 at 04:02 PM said:
I was on the Ohio/Indiana border a few months back-

looking across the line was like looking at a scene of hell..

hell.jpg

Yep, Ohio sucks arse.:D

Dan Klecko sucks arse.

FWIW, I have a friend who knows people who work for the Pats who says Samuel will play for the Pats this year, it's just a matter of contract or tender, but that this stupid Freeney contract complicated things with respect to a contract.

So, once again, kill yourself Bill Polian. Really. Jump off the highest building in Indy (seven or eight floors?), and do it now.

MrWeekend on 07-15-2007 at 05:53 AM said:
You've been having a lot of anti-tax rallies lately.
Do you know why?

I do, and it has nothing to do with the Colts.

jaric on 07-13-2007 at 05:56 PM said:
To us he is. Wth no pass rush, the cover 2 simply does not work.

Freeney = Pass rush. Yeah his sack numbers were down this year. But he was nursing an injury, that all reports seem to indicate that he is over now.

Basically our entire defense is dependant on a player like Dwight Freeney. And players like Dwight Freeney don't grow on trees.

Yeah it's alot of money, and it does make me a tad nervous. But until they release specifics I'm not going to get too worked up.

Simply because the price tag shows 72 mil, doesn't mean he that's what he is getting.

I disagree that the pass rush is the key to the Cover-2. In my opinion the really great Cover-2's all have an outstanding center triangle, 2DTs and MLB.

Freeney may be important to the Colts in particular because, due to their high powered offense teams are often playing from behind or throwing to keep up.

When you sign too many guys to big money deals it starts to hurt down the road. Good solid role players start leaving for better deals elsewhere. Then a bunch of stars have to be cut for cap purposes. It could be the front office has this figured out but most often the desire to "go for it" in the short run overrules the long-term ramifications.

The Ravens and Titans are the most extreme examples of this line of thinking.

The Pats historically have done an awesome job with this. It will be interesting to see if they still are or if this years shopping spree has a long-term negative effect.

Benign Despot on 07-16-2007 at 10:36 AM said:
I disagree that the pass rush is the key to the Cover-2. In my opinion the really great Cover-2's all have an outstanding center triangle, 2DTs and MLB.

Freeney may be important to the Colts in particular because, due to their high powered offense teams are often playing from behind or throwing to keep up.
That's a good point about teh DT/MLB, however there has also been a stud DE. Right now, I really like our DT situation. Booger Mcfarland may not set the world on fire, but he was playing pretty good football those playoff games towards the end of the season, and I am really excited about Quinn Pitcock (rookie from OSU)

Basically Freeney is our Simeon Rice. Of course I'n not really to excited about that comparison, because Rice has not done much the past few years, but I'm guessing you get my point.

Our Mike Situation is still in my mind unresolved. But we will see who gets the starting nod.

I do have a question though for some of you.

If the Colts had let Freeney walk, would you not be ripping them for letting a big name defensive player go?

BY1401 on 07-16-2007 at 08:17 AM said:
Do you know why?

I do, and it has nothing to do with the Colts.

I don't know about the whole state but, in central Indiana, it's all been about the freaking property taxes and how they screwed up all of the assessments. :shrug:

DarrylStingley on 07-16-2007 at 08:09 AM said:
Jump off the highest building in Indy (seven or eight floors?),

lets see

tallest building in mass...

Boston John Hancock Tower 790ft

tallest building in indiana...

Indianapolis Chase Tower 811ft

...you've got egg on you.

WV-Colt on 07-16-2007 at 01:20 PM said:
lets see

tallest building in mass...

Boston John Hancock Tower 790ft

tallest building in indiana...

Indianapolis Chase Tower 811ft

...you've got egg on you.

gdilegal_tower.jpg

Actually, it's 830ft but it's important to note (especially because DS will look it up) that it's actually 700ft without the twin spires on top. Still, the 7 or 8 floors comment was pretty ridiculous. The Chase tower has 48 floors.

Something I didn't know until just now, only one of the spires is functional as a transmission mast. The other one is just decoration. :D

ICB, I have a feeling a proposed building in the planning stages may exceed the ol' Hancock building but as of today you have a point.

I forget the specifics

mikiemo83 on 07-16-2007 at 01:46 PM said:
ICB, I have a feeling a proposed building in the planning stages may exceed the ol' Hancock building but as of today you have a point.

I forget the specifics

Well, like I said, withouth the spires Chase Tower isn't quite as tall as the ol' Hancock building. I'd rather a Colts fan have made that point before DS logs in and has a fit because the building itself isn't really 830ft tall.

I'm in no way comparing Boston and Indianapolis. They're very different cities. However, that doesn't mean Indianapolis isn't a large, beautiful, and great city. I love living here. :shrug:

ICB on 07-16-2007 at 10:24 AM said:
I don't know about the whole state but, in central Indiana, it's all been about the freaking property taxes and how they screwed up all of the assessments. :shrug:
Yup. It's a problem all over. The State Supreme Court said the previous way of assessing property was unconstitutional and ordered that assessments be done according to fair market value.

I bought my house right after the switch, so they used my purchase price to determine the property's new assessment. It's not really hurting me because my taxes have always been where they are, but a lot of people are getting hit pretty hard.

BY1401 on 07-16-2007 at 01:55 PM said:
Yup. It's a problem all over. The State Supreme Court said the previous way of assessing property was unconstitutional and ordered that assessments be done according to fair market value.

I bought my house right after the switch, so they used my purchase price to determine the property's new assessment. It's not really hurting me because my taxes have always been where they are, but a lot of people are getting hit pretty hard.
No no, it's Dwight Freeney's fault.

He sacks QBs AND raises taxes.

BY1401 on 07-16-2007 at 01:55 PM said:

I know. I feel really awful for all of the people that don't have their property taxes escrowed in their mortgages. Our property taxes have gone up but, thankfully, we have ours escrowed so we don't have to come up with a giant sum of money all at once. We pay a little more on our mortgage payments each month and let the mortgage company take care of paying our property taxes when they're due.

Hearing that people thought all of the anti-tax stuff going on here is about the Colts was pretty funny though.

The John Hancock Center would kick the John Hancock Tower's ass any day of the week.

jaric on 07-16-2007 at 12:57 PM said:

Only because Gary Brackett makes him.

jaric on 07-16-2007 at 01:57 PM said:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought Bob Sanders was the only one with the power to raise taxes.

Back