MERGED: High School championships tomorrow at Gillette

KenJr30

Reaction score
Kraft to cover costs of High School championships

Pretty cool.
http://www.boston.com/sports/school.../30/csn_ch_38_to_air_high_school_super_bowls/
SPORTS MEDIA
CSN, Ch. 38 to air high school Super Bowls
By Nancy Marrapese-Burrell, Globe Staff | November 30, 2007

No matter how many championships the Patriots win, it's highly unlikely there will ever be a Super Bowl staged at Gillette Stadium. So owner Robert Kraft decided to stage his version to reward the best high school football teams in Eastern Massachusetts.

Tomorrow, six of the seven EMass Super Bowls will be played on the Patriots' home field in Foxborough, and games will be televised. Three contests will be on Comcast SportsNet and three others will be on Channel 38. Mike Lynch, Gary Tanguay, and Scott Zolak will call the games on both stations.

"High school Super Bowl championships are once-in-a-lifetime events for the players, their parents, and the communities the schools represent," said Kraft, whose family will cover the costs for the event and produce the broadcasts. "We want to do our part to make the games even more memorable and we have the facility and resources to do that."

Coverage on CSN begins at 9:30 a.m. and will feature Division 3 (Swampscott-Medfield); Division 3A (Greater Lawrence-East Boston); and Division 2A (Gloucester-Hingham). Channel 38, which starts its coverage at 3:30 p.m., will have Division 1A (Chelmsford-Marshfield); Division 1 (Everett-Dartmouth); and Division 2 (Bishop Feehan-Walpole). The Division 4 Super Bowl between Brighton and West Bridgewater is at Stonehill College and will not be televised. The Kraft family's agreement with the MIAA, which runs through 2009, will have one division rotating out of Gillette Stadium annually.

The Gillette lots open at 8 a.m. Parking is free and concession stands will be open throughout the day. Tickets are $13 for adults and $10 for students, children, and seniors.

Tanguay, who will be the sideline reporter, expects it to be a special event.

"I think it's awesome," said Tanguay, who anchors CSN's Celtics' pre- and postgame shows and hosts Patriots' pre- and postgame shows on WBCN. "I think the Krafts have done a great job with this and the MIAA, and coming together and to be on television. You know every kid at home is going to have a tape or burn a DVD of this. It raises the level. There's the stadium, the big board [with the video screens], they'll have their names announced, they'll be playing on the same field as the Patriots. It's very cool. It's a memory."

For Tanguay, it's a step back to his roots when he was covering high school games after graduating from the University of Maine.

"You just want to make sure you get it right," he said. "The one thing I learned is you want to make sure you pronounce every mother's son's name correctly. You want to have your act together there."

Football tomorrow at Gillette

MIAA Eastern Massachusetts Super Bowls -

9:30am - DIVISION IIIA - Greater Lawrence vs. East Boston
11:30am - DIVISION III - Swampscott vs. Medfield
1:30pm - DIVISION IIA - Hingham vs. Gloucester
3:30pm - DIVISION IA - Chelmsford vs. Marshfield
5:30pm - DIVISION I - Everett vs Dartmouth
7:30pm - DIVISION II - Bishop Feehan vs. Walpole

At Stonehill College -

11am - DIVISION IV - West Bridgewater vs. Brighton

I'll be there sometime during the Hingham/Gloucester game probably for the remainder of the day. I'm a member of the MIAA State Football Committee and will be there as a representative.

If you got nothing today and want to see some good high school football, this will be the place.

If you cannot attend, TV38 will be broadcasting the game starting at 3:30pm. Comcast will have the first three games on Channel 3 starting at 9:30am.

Well, that is pretty cool; thanks for the post.

Someone should tell D22 so his brain can explode.

Good deal.

Glad he brought them back. My high school played their Superbowls on that rug at the old Schaeffer Stadium.

There is a movement to play an additional playoff game to unify the Super Bowls between Eastern Mass and Central/Western Mass for an ulitmate state champion in each of the divisions.

However, the MIAA Sports Medicine Committee will be responsbile for that decision as the school that play tomorrow will have played 3 games in a span of 10 days.

There shouldn't be an issue for playing surfaces as Gillette and Worcester State are available. It would just be the number of games. The thought, for some, would be to eliminate Thanksgiving Day games and move those games up to the Friday or Saturday before Thanksgiving when most teams have those days off.

I know most of the Football Committe is in favor of this as is the Coaches Association, but we'll see how this plays out.

Ras* on 11-30-2007 at 10:16 AM said:
There is a movement to play an additional playoff game to unify the Super Bowls between Eastern Mass and Central/Western Mass for an ulitmate state champion in each of the divisions.

However, the MIAA Sports Medicine Committee will be responsbile for that decision as the school that play tomorrow will have played 3 games in a span of 10 days.

There shouldn't be an issue for playing surfaces as Gillette and Worcester State are available. It would just be the number of games. The thought, for some, would be to eliminate Thanksgiving Day games and move those games up to the Friday or Saturday before Thanksgiving when most teams have those days off.

I know most of the Football Committe is in favor of this as is the Coaches Association, but we'll see how this plays out.

I thought it was a great idea when they scrapped the old system an introduced the 2 round playoff. But the problem with adding a third game is the overrun with the start of the winter sports season. The only reason why the 2 round system is even feasable is because the Turkey Day games allow a few days of rest.

The idea of moving the traditional Turkey Day games will go over like a lead balloon. We're talking about many rivalries that are close to and over 100 years old.

Undertaker #59* on 11-30-2007 at 10:09 AM said:
My high school

Thought you were a home schooler......................

I'd be against moving the T-day games.

Almost every kid who plays HS football in MA gets to experience a playoff type atmosphere on T-Day morning. I would hate to take that away.

A compromise might be to move those games involving potential playoff teams to the Friday before.

KenJr30 on 11-30-2007 at 10:27 AM said:
Thought you were a home schooler......................

Dunno where you got that idea. :confused:

KenJr30 on 11-30-2007 at 10:39 AM said:
i was trying to make a funny

Ahh. Well, there is no humor allowed on this board, noob.

Someone on WEEI (can't remember who) said that more people would be able to watch the Foxboro HS games than last night's Dallas-GB matchup, LOL.

This is great for HS Football and those who want to catch the games in the big stadium. It's also nice to televise the game for those who don't want to brave the cold.

A unification game after the Eastern Ma SuperBowls makes sense if they can be squeezed in. Thanksgiving games are a huge problem as others have stated. No one wants to give those games up. Even if just the games involving potential league champions are moved, it would still have a huge impact.

Usually, very few leagues have a clinched championship going into turkey day. That would mean several games would have to be moved effecting not only the contenders but their rivals. This would create heartache for many of the players involved as well as the community as the T-Day games bring out many more people than a Friday night/Saturday Game. This would mean a much smaller gate for those teams involved (ADs will love that).

The JV schedules would also have to be changed because the T-Day rivalries play their JV games on the Saturday before Thanksgiving in most cases. Moving the JV game would disrupt the practice schedule too but not something that couldn't be dealt with.

Games involving potential play-off teams are restricted to ten minute quarters on Thanksgiving now so shortening those games further isn't an option. The schedules are tough to work out to set these games up. For an example, I'll use Bideau's hometown Blackhawks (recently a frequent SB winner).

Bellingham was in contention for the league title going into Thanksgiving this year in the Tri-Valley League as was Holliston and Medfield. None of these teams play each other on Thanksgiving so all three games plus the JV games would have to be moved effecting everyone from Norton, Westwood and Dover as well. That's six teams effected out of a ten team league. That league is always close at the top as are many others.

This leads to a whole bunch of problems. I would like to see the games played myself but the solution would have to be reasonable. (There are also Central Mass and Western Mass games-who gets to play who?)

Truly, to do it right, he season would have to be started earlier, teams would be resrtircted to ten games with no bye weeks and a full play-off system that eliminates T-Day from the schedule would have to be implemented. I don't see that ever happening.

Undertaker #59* on 11-30-2007 at 10:40 AM said:
Ahh. Well, there is no humor allowed on this board, noob.

Speaking of which, does James Lavin frequent the Planet anymore?

KenJr30 on 11-30-2007 at 12:57 PM said:
Speaking of which, does James Lavin frequent the Planet anymore?

oh that will bring up some wars :p

LVent* on 11-30-2007 at 01:12 PM said:
oh that will bring up some wars :p

I see his last post was in mid May, which killed a thread.

KenJr30 on 11-30-2007 at 01:14 PM said:
I see his last post was in mid May, which killed a thread.

I believe you were still active during what i am referring to though o:)

LVent* on 11-30-2007 at 01:17 PM said:
I believe you were still active during what i am referring to though o:)

I know what you are referring to, most definitely .

Back