MERGED: McGinest cut.

Didn't McGinest restructure his contract a couple of times before because he wanted to finish out his career in NE? I don't see why he wouldn't again and I'd like to also see him end it here too. I think Len Pastabelly might be out in left field with this one.

Proven pass rushers are always difficult to locate in free agency and, with even just a cursory glance at the pool of "edge" defenders who could become available when the signing period commences March 3, it appears this year will be no different.

In fact, perhaps the best sack man likely to be in a free agent isn't yet expected to be available. But keep an eye on developments next week with New England linebacker Willie McGinest, the respected 12-year veteran whose résumé includes 78 sacks, and who might be an 11th-hour addition to the unrestricted free agent roll call.

Yeah, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots without McGinest, who has been a fixture in New England since the team selected the former Southern California star in the first round of the 1994 NFL draft. And it's equally hard to conjure up the image of McGinest, who led the NFL in postseason sacks in 2005 with 4½, performing in a different uniform.

But it could happen.

Sources told ESPN.com this week that McGinest's contract situation for 2006 -- he is due a roster bonus of $3.5 million in early March, and a base salary of $3.5 million too, in a so-called dummy season that was added to his deal to aid the Patriots in navigating past cap difficulties -- could well make him a cap casualty. It's unlikely New England will pay the $3.5 million bonus and, with negotiations making little or no progress in recent weeks, the Patriots could, regrettably, end the longtime relationship with a player who has seen the lowest lows and the highest highs of the franchise.

McGinest is 34 years old and, with a lot of tread rubbed off his tires, it remains to be seen just how much interest he might generate in the free agency market. But he is still playing at a high level, having notched 56 tackles and six sacks in 2005, and there are franchises that might be inclined to consider him -- not just because of his football skills, but also because of his locker room presence.

McGinest's most recent defensive coordinators, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini, are head coaches now, with Cleveland and the New York Jets, respectively, and might lobby their teams to consider him. Mangini may need a veteran influence as the Jets undertake what appears to be a massive rebuilding effort. Crennel and Browns general manager Phil Savage have worked hard to add veterans of high character to the mix with their young team. While neither franchise might break the bank to acquire McGinest, who probably has just a couple of productive seasons remaining, he would be a player worthy of some due diligence. And since the Browns deploy a 3-4 front and desperately need a pass-rush force, and the Jets likely will switch to a three-man line under Mangini, the fit is a good one from a schematic standpoint.

One of the prototypes of the hybrid-type defender Bill Belichick has done such a masterful job developing, McGinest knows the ropes. And although he has posted just one double-digit sack season in his career, back in 1995, he can still bring upfield pressure in spurts, as he demonstrated in the playoffs. No pending free agent has more sacks than the 78 McGinest has recorded in a dozen seasons.

There is still a chance that the Patriots and McGinest can reach an agreement that addresses the financial expectations for both parties. But the chances are just as good, perhaps even slightly better, that McGinest, whose situation has flown below the radar during the offseason, will be a free agent.
There you go.

Meh...

I don't see it happening. They'll restructure.

Sounds like a Troy Brown situation all over again. Hopefully we either restructure or resign him for less $$$$, but it makes sense to do this cap wise.

McGinest’s return is no sure thing
By John Tomase
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - Updated: 06:11 AM EST

All things being equal, Willie McGinest hopes to rejoin the Patriots in 2006. He said as much after the season ended in Denver.

But that doesn’t mean he’ll play for nothing. And the next week could prove pivotal in deciding whether McGinest returns for a 13th season in New England.

He’s due to make $8.3 million and will likely be released before a $3.5 million roster bonus comes due in early March, saving the team $6.8 million against the salary cap.

The thought of cutting McGinest is jarring enough. He’s a locker room leader coming off one of the best seasons of his career. But economics dictate that even if the league and players are able to extend the collective bargaining agreement and add as much as $15 million to this year’s salary cap, the Patriots won’t pay McGinest $8.3 million.

What happens from there could be interesting, according to sources close to McGinest. It has been considered a foregone conclusion he would renegotiate with the Patriots and return, a la Troy Brown last spring. McGinest is not Brown, however, and sources say he’ll leave, if he believes he’s being treated unfairly.

Last year, the Patriots failed to exercise Brown’s $2.5 million option with a $2.5 million bonus and cut him. He returned for an $800,000 salary despite a higher offer from the New Orleans Saints.

But Brown was a receiver coming off a season spent largely at defensive back, limiting his value. Even at 35, McGinest remains atop his game. He broke the record for postseason sacks held by Bruce Smith and wreaked havoc in opposing backfields all season, recording 62 tackles and six sacks.

If he’s cut, there’s every indication he’ll test the market. There would be no shortage of teams vying for his services, particularly with former Patriots defensive coordinators Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini, now coaching the Browns and Jets, respectively.

Both consider McGinest a consummate leader. “What we need is some pass rush production,” Crennel said. “Whether that’s a pass rusher or some exotic new schemes, which probably we’re not going to have those. So we’re going to try to get us a pass-rush rusher to help us improve our sack production.”

There’s also the possibility McGinest could join former coach Bill Parcells in Dallas or Bill Belichick disciple Nick Saban in Miami.

McGinest is represented by Gary Uberstine. A spokesman for Uberstine yesterday said he would not discuss McGinest’s contract.

There are no indications the team has reached out to McGinest as of yet. With the CBA in limbo, Belichick last week said the team was instead focused on the draft and football matters.

McGinest made it clear he wants to stay with the Patriots, who will get first crack at keeping him. But if he hits the market, his Pats’ career could be over.

McGinest to be cut??

Consider the source, but WEEI-radio just reported during their last sportsflash that they have "learned" that the Pats will cut Willie McGinest today.

No source was given and no other details.

I'm not solid on this but hasn't Willie restructured more than once on his contracts?

if so, seems to me this may happen again as he appears to be willing to work with the organization.

RoadGrader said:
I'm not solid on this but hasn't Willie restructured more than once on his contracts?

if so, seems to me this may happen again as he appears to be willing to work with the organization.

Yes he I believe he has restructured 2 or more times and he has expressed he wanted to retire a Patriot. I think Willie will get it done and remain here where he belongs.

I think he has.

He said on NFL network, Fox Sports and some other shows that he want's to work something out.
It would be weird not to see Wille on the field next year, but he is hardly worth $8 million.

The guys at that other site say he's greedy. The colts fans are just plain laughling, and the scout guys say it looks bad.

Who knows where the truth lies? If I were a betting man, I'd say hes done unless he comes to terms with a pay cut.

JohnnyBravo said:
I think he has.

He said on NFL network, Fox Sports and some other shows that he want's to work something out.
It would be weird not to see Wille on the field next year, but he is hardly worth $8 million.

The guys at that other site say he's greedy. The colts fans are just plain laughling, and the scout guys say it looks bad.

Who knows where the truth lies? If I were a betting man, I'd say hes done unless he comes to terms with a pay cut.

trust me, there's no laughing. that sound you'll hear will be a collective sigh of relief.

From the Globe:

Although McGinest received a 72-hour reprieve when the Players Association and NFL management agreed to delay the start of free agency until Sunday night, in the hope of hammering out an extension of the collective bargaining agreement, he and many others might become victims of a tight-fitting salary cap.

''We didn't think they were ever going to pay me $7 million or $8 million next year," McGinest said from his home in Los Angeles. ''This last year [2006] was a ghost deal. It wasn't meant to stick. That's why we escalated the numbers the way we did. It would be great if they exercised it and gave me $7 million or $8 million, but I knew if it came to it, they'd renegotiate, release me, or release me and then do a new contract."

'I want to retire in New England," McGinest said. ''I'm hoping and wishing they do what's best for our team and secure the players we need to win another championship. I think I'd be part of that. I think I'm still a top-level type guy with a lot left in the tank. I'm pretty sure everyone knows where my heart is but I understand the business part of it, too."

''Your play speaks for itself," said McGinest, who passed Bruce Smith and Reggie White to become the NFL's all-time postseason sacks leader with 16 in 18 games. ''Everybody knows what I bring to the table and how hard I work, and I know what the Patriots bring me to elevate my game. They put me in certain schemes to excel.

''But I understood with the cap number I have I'd probably get unloaded. I'm not worried about it. That's what I pay [agent] Gary [Uberstine] for. When it's time to talk business, we'll converse and make our decision. Until then, I'll wait for the next move from them.

''I've been blessed to do the two things you hope to accomplish in professional football -- make a lot of money and win a lot of Super Bowls. I've been with a great organization, playing with great players in a great city. We built some sports history there. I'm not saying I'm content [to leave] but I'm relaxed. I'm confident something will happen for me because I'm not looking for something crazy, like a first-rounder coming in. I just figure they'll try and do the right thing.

''Either way, whether I get to stay or I have to go, I can't ever be bitter with any decision the Patriots make. Mr. Kraft brought me in and I've been treated well. I've been able to make a name for myself and propel myself into the business world. They've given me 12 good years, so I've got to respect their business decision, whatever it is."

Willie McGinest doesn't want anyone to be confused about his point. He wants to finish his career as a Patriot. He was not happy with the way last season ended (with a playoff loss in Denver) and he wants to be part of changing that outcome one more time. But if the ax must be wielded and he is a victim this time, he understands it's not personal. It's business. The business he chose. The football business. A business he believes he'll still be in next fall. He just doesn't know where.

<<
'm not solid on this but hasn't Willie restructured more than once on his contracts
>>

McGinnist has renegotiated and restructured contracts so many times has a private entrance to the negotiating office.

He seems to have huge personal motivation to remain a Patriot, I am not worried. They will have to do the same thing they did with Troy Brown last year. Cut the mondo contract and resign him at an affordable level.

I know this has been laughed about before, and I obviously am biased here, Willie's been my favorite Patriot for a decade now.

I think with one more SB title, Willie is a lock for the NFL hall of fame.

Let the laughing begin, but look at what he has done, and his numbers in the post season. Think of all the hall of famers from the Steelers of the 70's, that kind of platform puts players in the hall.

Let Willie retire here please!

Back