MERGED: Polian's weekly radio show abruptly halted

Bill Polian essentially tells Colts fans to screw off

According to Stampedeblue.com - http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/12/27/1221664/bill-polian-essentially-tells

Bill Polian essentially tells Colts fans to screw off

Stampedeblue_tiny by BigBlueShoe on Dec 28, 2009 12:16 AM EST in Colts News

57131_building_a_winner_football.jpg

Bill Polian is acting like a jackass again. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy, File)

No, the title is not there simply to garner attention.

Bill Polian is a genius in the draft room and at evaluating talent. However, as a public relations man, which is one of the essential responsibilities of the Present of the Indianapolis Colts, Bill Polian is a complete and utter failure. These are the quotes from Polian after the game, courtesy of the NFL:

TEAM PRESIDENT BILL POLIAN (on how tough is that call when you’re ahead in the game and you have a perfect season): "The perfect season was never an issue with us. We’ve said it time and time and time again. It is somebody else’s issue, not ours. That was of no concern."

TEAM PRESIDENT BILL POLIAN (on it seeming to be the fans issue): "Well, I understand that, but it doesn’t mean that it is ours."

So, to you fans that braved inches of snow and heavy winds to watch your then-undefeated Colts possibly win a game and move to 15-0 only to see the team pull starters for no acceptable reason, Bill Polian says screw you.

To you fans who shelled out hundreds of dollars to watch the game, and you other fans who shelled out thousands of dollars for season tickets during a recession only to see the team quit and hand the game to the Jets, Bill Polian says screw you.

To the the residents of Indiana, who paid hundreds of millions in taxpayer money to fund Lucas Oil Stadium, only to watch the coaches quit on a game that was very winnable... yeah, pretty much the same as the last two.

Basically, in two simple phrases, the "issues" of fans (you know, the customers who watch the team and pay for the stadium and all that) are not the issues of the Colts and Bill Polian. Whatever problems you silly little peons might have with your team throwing a game and crapping away a chance at football immortality, they are pretty much reading a blank on the Bill Polian radar. For you French history enthusiasts out there, Bill Polian just told the peasants to eat cake.

Thanks Bill. Appreciate it.

Bill Polian just dug his own grave. If the Colts do not win the Super Bowl this year after resting players and throwing a game they should have won, fans will scream for him to be removed as president of the team. I shudder to think what fans will do if Indy goes one-and-done, again. Polian would be run out of town. Yes, I'm dead serious. I know Indiana and I know how Hoosiers think. The fans wanted the Colts to play to win. They expected it. They'd watched the Colts do it against the Jaguars and, after ten days of rest, they expected the team to do the same thing again. Instead, fans that paid good money to see a truly competitive football game were essentially spit on by the Colts organization.

Polian's arrogance and his dismissal of fan concerns nearly got him fired in 2001, among other things. What saved his career in Indy, and likely his reputation, was Tony Dungy. Dungy excelled at being the "front man." He was very good at soothing Fan concerns because he genuinely cared.

Polian doesn't.

Now, with Dungy gone, Bill's back to saying things like the concerns of the fans are not the concerns of the Colts. That's pretty much an open invitation for the public to boo you every time you show your face in public, Bill. Honestly, Jim Irsay needs to lock Bill up somewhere and never, EVER let him talk to the media or the fans again. Polian is a masterful talent evaluator. We all respect his ability to build football teams. But, he just has a very annoying habit of acting like a prick. This time around, he better be right and the Colts better win it all. Because if he isn't, and the Colts lose in the playoffs, fans will never forgive or trust him ever again.

As a fan, have you never said something like, "rip his head off!" or "****ing kill him!"??? Do you actually want the player to be decapitated or killed?

Overblown. And you know it.

To the best of my recollection, I've never asked for opposing players to have their bones broken, and I've never celebrated any football player getting injured.

As a fan, have you never said something like, "rip his head off!" or "****ing kill him!"??? Do you actually want the player to be decapitated or killed?

Prolly. I dont say those things any more tho. Every time I did, a Pats player went down with a bad injury.

And I am not the GM of an NFL team, either. It goes to the makeup of the guy. Just like what he did tonite to his own fanbase on the radio. Its his character. He is a true asshat.

What about when he attacked the (irony of all ironies) Jets employee a few years ago? Was that overblown? And what if maybe, just maybe, yesterday was a way-late "sorry bout that" to the NYJ organization?

Ras posted this up in another thread that should be merged with this one. From blue stampede, and one of your own we have this:

Polian's arrogance and his dismissal of fan concerns nearly got him fired in 2001, among other things. What saved his career in Indy, and likely his reputation, was Tony Dungy. Dungy excelled at being the "front man." He was very good at soothing Fan concerns because he genuinely cared.

Polian doesn't.

Now, with Dungy gone, Bill's back to saying things like the concerns of the fans are not the concerns of the Colts. That's pretty much an open invitation for the public to boo you every time you show your face in public, Bill. Honestly, Jim Irsay needs to lock Bill up somewhere and never, EVER let him talk to the media or the fans again. Polian is a masterful talent evaluator. We all respect his ability to build football teams. But, he just has a very annoying habit of acting like a prick. This time around, he better be right and the Colts better win it all. Because if he isn't, and the Colts lose in the playoffs, fans will never forgive or trust him ever again.

Not overblown. I've been on many college and NFL sidelines...and never said it there.

You hold yourself more responsibly when you're acting in a professional capacity. At least, you're supposed to. Me and you saying that is one thing.

I'm just a simple cave man, but I'm begining to see what's going on here.

The GM and Coach realized there was a very good chance that they could get beaten in the PO's and threw the game outright to avoide being perfect and then 1 and doning

I'm just a simple cave man, but I'm begining to see what's going on here.

The GM and Coach realized there was a very good chance that they could get beaten in the PO's and threw the game outright to avoide being perfect and then 1 and doning

No thats not it. Polian just has a huge ego and he wants to prove that he can win doing things his way. It wouldn't matter if the Colts started 14-0 for the next 10 years and went one and done every time, he would still do it the same way.

Great article. Seems to hit it right on the head perfectly.

As much I want to puke when I think of TGTSNBM, I can at least know that the Patriots left everything out on the field each and every game that entire season. Pedal to the metal for all 19 games and we understood and respected him for it. Even though a series of incredible events stopped the Pats from 19-0, at least they laid down for no team and just flat out got outplayed in the only game that mattered.

Polian and management should be shamed of themselves. Spitting in the face of the players during the game by benching them, and now spitting in the fans faces.

What a complete tool.

The funny thing is that I can sort of understand the Colts' decision. The object is to win the SB. In 2007, I was MUCH MUCH MUCH more focused on that than 19-0. So if playing it conservatively leads to greater odds of winning it all, then I understand the thought process.

That said, the Colts half assed it by playing for part of the game and, deliciously, totally F'd up the PR aspects of this.

As a Colts hater and a Polian hater, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. And the fact that the Colts underlying premise wasn't all that dumb in the first place, and it was the execution that I think was truly botched, makes it all the sweeter.

To be clear, I would rather my team try to win the remaining games, and I think playing games straight up is actually a better tactic as it keeps them in game focus. But I do understand the Colts' perspective and just love how badly this whole thing is blowing up in their faces. Hell, even if they win it all this year, there will be a giant turd in the middle of the punch bowl that people will just have to ignore if they can. Priceless.

Not overblown. I've been on many college and NFL sidelines...and never said it there.

You hold yourself more responsibly when you're acting in a professional capacity. At least, you're supposed to. Me and you saying that is one thing.
Exactly. Fans spouting off is one thing. When the GM of the team talks like a fan in the middle of a press box, he's making a jackass of himself. And TMack knows it.

Look on the bright side. If the Jets make the playoffs, there will always be an * beside it.

Look on the bright side. If the Jets make the playoffs, there will always be an * beside it.

There is no bright side to the Jets making the playoffs.

If the Jets were 0-15 and I saw that they had won their last game of the season, a little part of me would die inside.

There is no bright side to the Jets making the playoffs.

If the Jets were 0-15 and I saw that they had won their last game of the season, a little part of me would die inside.

You need not sweat the Jests. As long as they have their Christmas Tree, they will always truly suck.

You need not sweat the Jests. As long as they have their Christmas Tree, they will always truly suck.

True, it's not sweat, though.

I just want them and their fans to know only ONE feeling: Pain.

Their fans are Yankees fans only with a cheesy overlay. Worthless twats, all of them.

True, it's not sweat, though.

I just want them and their fans to know only ONE feeling: Pain.

Their fans are Yankees fans only with a cheesy overlay. Worthless twats, all of them.

Its funny how many of them are actually Mets fans too! Talk about gluttens for punishment!ROFL

Its so much sweeter when they get so close only to fail. It hurts more. So I am angry at the Colts for keeping them alive. I will be happy again if the Bengals actually play this weekend. To get to within a game of the PO's and to miss would be perfect pain Jests style.

I have learned 2 thing over this past week,

1: Bill Polian is a prick
2: Bill Polian is a douche

That is all.

Good for him. Lots of Colts fans still have mullets and think its the 80's.

Back