Moss take 6 million dollar pay cut for 07 to play for NE

Danny88

Reaction score
Moss takes 6 million dollar pay cut for 07 to play for NE

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/04/29/patriots_acquire_moss/

Patriots acquire Randy Moss from Oakland
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | April 29, 2007

In a stunning move, the Patriots traded a fourth-round draft pick to the Raiders for controversial wide receiver Randy Moss today.

Moss held a conference call with the New England media this afternoon.

"I don't think you all understand how excited I am to be a part of this organization," Moss told the media. "I think [New England's] record and what they're about speaks massive volumes. I'm just very, very happy to find some happiness and getting back to what I love to do -- that's play football and going out there and [competing]."

Moss underwent a physical this morning in Foxborough. He agreed to restructure and/or extend his contract to consummate the deal. He was due base salaries of $9.25 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. The contract he agreed to with the Patriots reduced his pay for 2007 to $3 million.

"I think over the course of my career, I've made a lot of money," said Moss. "I still have money in the bank. By me coming to an organization such as the New England Patriots, why would money be a factor?"

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Moss enters his 10th NFL season after having played for the Vikings (1998-2004) and Raiders (2005-2006). He had a career-low 42 catches for 553 yards and three touchdowns last season as the Raiders struggled to a 2-14 record, and is said to be motivated to join a winning program.

The acquisition of Moss continues the team's offseason makeover at the position. The Patriots traded for Wes Welker and signed Donte' Stallworth and Kelley Washington in free agency.

Second-year player Chad Jackson, who is recovering from a torn ACL sustained in the AFC Championship game Jan. 21, is also part of the mix. The team also has Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney returning, in addition to longer shots Bam Childress, Kelvin Kight and Jonathan Smith competing for roster spots. Veteran Troy Brown, who is recovering from offseason knee surgery, could also be part of the mix. He remains a free agent.

Moss would project as a starter at one of the team's outside receiver spots.

JamesLavin on 04-29-2007 at 08:23 PM said:
Randy Moss to Ty Law: "A guy's got to feed his soul."

--James

PERFECT!

moss knows that you can't buy a super bowl ring ,you have to be on the right TEAM.

"I think over the course of my career, I've made a lot of money," said Moss. "I still have money in the bank. By me coming to an organization such as the New England Patriots, why would money be a factor?"

Wow - This statement gives me a whole new respect for him.

PS: Since he had a physical this morning would that imply this was at least in the works for a few days?

from pft -

MOSS SIGNS ONE-YEAR DEAL

The New England Patriots got two steals on Sunday. First, they picked up one of the best receivers in the game for only a fourth-round draft pick.

Second, they got him at a bargain-basement contract.

Per a league source, the $21 million in salary over two years under Randy's prior deal was replaced by a one-year contract with a $3.5 million base salary and $1.5 million in incentives.

The only downside for the Patriots is that, if Moss re-establishes himself as a superstar in 2007, they'll have to pay him in 2008, either with a new contract or the franchise tag.

And the deal allows the Pats to evaluate Moss carefully in the offseason, training camp, and preseason. If Moss doesn't still have it, or if he is in any way a pain in the butt, the Pats lose not a penny.

I said it before and I'll say it again: No Brainer. A ten year vet with gaudy numbers that can still run a 4.29 40 for a 4th round pick and they get him at bargain basement pricing?

I can't f**king wait for the home opener when SD comes to town with their new guy, HC Norv "I'm still riding Jimmy Johnson's coattails" Turner. Actually I can't wait to see how all opposition lines up against this offense.

ThomerR9S78
:patriots:

The Pats trade pick #28 for San Fran's 4th and next years 1st (which will be lower than 28 in a better draft.) They trade this 4th for Moss. In effect we got Moss without losing a draft pick. He's going to come for less money? This deal should be in a beer comercial...BRILLIANT!!!

GO PATS!

He certainly is saying the right things right now... let's just hope he keeps that positive attitude when he's not Tom Terrific's favorite target on every play.

im very very impressed with randy's attuide

lets hope his attuide stay's like that threw the hole season

still cant beleive that randy is gonna be catching pass's from the great one

GO PATS....ALL THE WAY TOO ARIZONA:thumb:

We spent the majority of 2006 unable to stretch the field, forcing our offensive gameplan to work inside a 25 to 30 yard imaginary box all season long.

In 2007 you can be sure of one thing: That imaginary box just got much, much bigger. Between Moss and Stallworth we can now officially 'stretch the field'.

I never thought I would cheer for Randy Moss. I've never doubted Piolichek, but I really hope this works out.

I've also never imagined going from one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL to one the best ever.

I'm cautiously optimistic on Moss becoming a Patriot. He basically, hand-picked New England (the only team he would go to for less money) and signed for unguaranteed money. He also agreed to the "pain in the ass" clause that he can be cut for any transgression at any time. That doesn't sound too selfish to me. It sounds like a guy who wants to be here and has something to prove. If he lives up to expectations then Brady will be finding him very often which will make everybody happy. This is a high gain, low risk signing.

bmooney54 on 04-29-2007 at 10:33 PM said:
The Pats trade pick #28 for San Fran's 4th and next years 1st (which will be lower than 28 in a better draft.) They trade this 4th for Moss. In effect we got Moss without losing a draft pick. He's going to come for less money? This deal should be in a beer comercial...BRILLIANT!!!

GO PATS!

Actually, if you go back further, for Deion Branch we got Moss and a 1st rd pick. Brilliant!!

raiderbill70 on 04-30-2007 at 10:11 AM said:
Congrats on the addition of Randy Moss. As everyone knows, he's a highly talented WR, I'm sure that Bilicheck can, and will, make him happy.

Later.
Over at RF.Net, we had a poster, named Frank in SA, he's the father of the mother of Randy Moss' kids, he's provided plenty of insight and has been a great poster over there......I'm suggesting this site to him.

Later.

Thanks raider bill. You happy with the raiders moves? Think Moss will do ok here in New England?

grogsox on 04-30-2007 at 12:43 PM said:
Thanks raider bill. You happy with the raiders moves? Think Moss will do ok here in New England?
I'm really happy with the Raiders moves. Unfortunately, Randy didn't want to be in Oakland, so we did what we had to do. Even though Mike Williams was a bust at Detroit, I think that he'll do fine in Oakland. Coach Kiffin recruited him outta high school to USC, he's gotta have some kind of positive influence on him. I really like the Zach Miller and Michael Bush picks.

As far as Randy Moss doing good in New England......if there's any staff that can make him "happy", it's New England's. I know you're well aware of the leadership that's available in New England. I wish Randy the very best at whatever he does, he just didn't want to do it in Oakland anymore.

Later.

Back