Most hated villains

I'd go with Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men...a bad bad man who would occasionally give his victims a coin flips chance of living to see another day.

Honorable mention: Daniel Plainview, who defined despicable in There Will be Blood.

King Joffery form GOT...He played his role well...Just can't handle his wine

I'd go with Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men...a bad bad man who would occasionally give his victims a coin flips chance of living to see another day.

Honorable mention: Daniel Plainview, who defined despicable in There Will be Blood.
I never knew his name...but, heads or tails?

Sgt. Barnes in Platoon.

”Death, what do y’all know about death?”

The Wicked Witch Of The West (Wizard Of Oz)
Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmations)
Neidermeyer (Animal House)
Lord Foul (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephan Donaldson)
Iago (Othello, by William Shakespeare)
Been a long time since I have read The Chronicles.

Walter White. Breaking Bad
Anti-hero maybe, I just don't see him as a villain. Ok, maybe letting Jesse's girl die wasn't the nicest thing, and treating Jesse like dirt, and murdering a bunch people, and pushing drugs, and endangering his family....ok maybe he was a little villainous :)

Anti-hero maybe, I just don't see him as a villain. Ok, maybe letting Jesse's girl die wasn't the nicest thing, and treating Jesse like dirt, and murdering a bunch people, and pushing drugs, and endangering his family....ok maybe he was a little villainous :)
Other than what you listed, he was a great guy lol. Even after he had enough money to “take care of his family”, he kept going. Hell, he poisoned a little kid.

Been a long time since I have read The Chronicles.

The Chronicles are a bit of a homage to Tolkein, yet also are another hugely important work of fantasy. I just re-read The Hobbit, and am about half-way through re-reading LOTR. It's been a long time since I've read them, and it's become of a bit of a slog to bet through them again. Donaldson's writing style and use of language, on the other hand, appeals to me much more than does Tolkein's.

And Donaldson's Mordant's Need duology is even better than The Chronicles, in my opinion.

1651329061183.png

Last edited:
Other than what you listed, he was a great guy lol. Even after he had enough money to “take care of his family”, he kept going. Hell, he poisoned a little kid.
I really need to watch it through again(only did the once). That's one of the most amazing character arcs ever for a TV show, maybe the best.

The Chronicles are a bit of a homage to Tolkein, yet also are another hugely important work of fantasy. I just re-read The Hobbit, and am about half-way through re-reading LOTR. It's been a long time since I've read them, and it's become of a bit of a slog to bet through them again. Donaldson's writing style and use of language, on the other hand, appeals to me much more than does Tolkein's.

And Donaldson's Mordant's Need duology is even better than The Chronicles, in my opinion.

View attachment 10482
I read those too in my youth. I need to re-read them all. I have the hardcover of The Chronicles of Amber on my bookshelf which I want to read again too.

ll
I love that movie! It's an instant classic!
From the Novel by the same name by the great Cormac McCarthy. Perhaps the greatest Novelist working to day, I started with his Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses; The Crossing: The Cities of the Plain). just wonderful. His last Novel to be released (2006), The Road, won a Pulitzer. Great news out (for me anyway) earlier in March: Two new Novels will be released before Christmas! Can't wait. Been waiting 16 years.

And Anton Chigurh is a fine villain. Javier Bardem totally owned that move. His vicious serenity was terrifying.

At gas station:
Proprietor: Y’all getting any rain up your way?
Chigurh (looking up): What way would that be?
Proprietor: Well, I seen you was from Dallas.
Chigurh (menacingly): What business is it of yours where I’m from … friendo?

Last edited:
ll

From the Novel by the same name by the great Cormac McCarthy. Perhaps the greatest Novelist working to day, I started with his Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses; The Crossing: The Cities of the Plain). just wonderful. His last Novel to be released (2006), The Road, won a Pulitzer. Great news out (for me anyway) earlier in March: Two new Novels will be released before Christmas! Can't wait. Been waiting 16 years.

And Anton Chigurh is a fine villain. Javier Bardem totally owned that move. His vicious serenity was terrifying.

At gas station:
Heads or tails?

ll

At gas station:

McCarthy is an artist who paints in words.

He just does shit that nobody else would do. Like in the Border Trilogy he'd print entire paragraphs or blocks of dialogue in Spanish without worrying whether the reader
could understand a word of it. Still, that series had moments of transcendent brilliance to go along with the lack of punctuation and his screwing around for no apparent
reason other than he could. All the Pretty Horses is a pretty good movie, but it failed to really bring the book to life, for me.

The Road, though. God, that is a dark and depressing work. I'll never read or watch it again, but I won't forget it.

McCarthy, for lack of a better term, is hardcore. He writes for himself, which is arguably the best way to do it.

I like McCarthy. Intense. I put him on the Stephenson level, which is sparsely populated. I was trying to think of a true villain in my Stephenson favorites (Snow Crash, Cryptonimicon, REAMDE, Fall) but he's not a real villain-y author. The antagonists tend to be quirky, interesting, even fun. Definitely fun to read.

Back