Movie Recommendations

FT...just stumbled on this thread and you deserve rep points for M Night Shawshankredemption. ROFL.

We just watched "Brooklyn's Finest" last night. HELLA intense movie about the 65th precinct of the PD in Brooklyn and a drug deal they all wind up in the midst of for different reasons. Good flick.

"Brick" is a quirky IFCish type movie (a weakness of mine) about a streetwise loner of a HS kid and a crime solving intrigue he gets himself into over what else? A girl of course.

Another bit of quirkiness is the comedy "Sunshine Cleaning"... about a woman who gets into a certain somewhat repugnant type of cleanup business kind of by accident.

HATED HATED HATED "Men Who Stare at Goats". What a disappointment.

Oh - I saw it a while ago, but I was stunned that I liked The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was subtle, funny, emotional, poignant, and incredibly well acted - Carrey was much better than I would have guessed, and Kate Winslet was phenomenal in that role.

I expected to hate it.

Oh - I saw it a while ago, but I was stunned that I liked The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was subtle, funny, emotional, poignant, and incredibly well acted - Carrey was much better than I would have guessed, and Kate Winslet was phenomenal in that role.

I expected to hate it.
It was quirky in a good way.

It was quirky in a good way.
I loved how random shit would start fading and disappearing in all his memories while he was remembering them. I didn't even notice at first, but it was a really nice touch.

Thought I'd bump this thread.

I hate chick flicks, by and large. Usually want to defenestrate myself off of a tall building whenever they're suggested.

However, I have to say, I watched (500) Days of Summer last night with the wife.
Overall I thought it was an extremely creative movie. The time jumping (which was masterfully handled), the connections that are created throughout the movie (when he first talks about what he loves about her, and then later on what he hates about her, which were the same things), and my favorite part, the dance scene after he first sleeps with her, which I laughed out loud during.

Very creative.

Here's that dance sequence; I love how everyone starts congratulating him on the street:
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgVNgYXFi_Q?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgVNgYXFi_Q?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Thought I'd bump this thread.

I hate chick flicks, by and large. Usually want to defenestrate myself off of a tall building whenever they're suggested.

However, I have to say, I watched (500) Days of Summer last night with the wife.
Overall I thought it was an extremely creative movie. The time jumping (which was masterfully handled), the connections that are created throughout the movie (when he first talks about what he loves about her, and then later on what he hates about her, which were the same things), and my favorite part, the dance scene after he first sleeps with her, which I laughed out loud during.

Very creative.

Here's that dance sequence; I love how everyone starts congratulating him on the street:
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgVNgYXFi_Q?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgVNgYXFi_Q?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
I watched this almost by a fluke a few months ago and thought it was fantastic. It has all the upfront appearance of a chick flick but it's just a very good movie. Not at all sappy and absolutely plausible and derived from subject matter every single person can relate to.

One of the better movies you've NEVER heard of.

I saw "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" last night and thought it was excellent.

If you're a fan of the original 5 films (forget Burton's version) check it out.

Saw "Moneyball" last night. IT WAS GREAT!!! Didn't know a thing about it, but it's based on a true story, and it blew me away.

A real Field of Dreams story...and we all love Baseball movies, right? Who knew that this was the guy that John Henry wanted before they picked Theo?

Great acting, interesting baseball trivia. Loved it!

Moneyball was sick saw it twice. I'm waiting for the Muppets movie to come out. I don't think you can ever be too old to watch them.

Just curious, has anyone whose seen Moneyball read the book?

I loved the book and am skeptical about the movie. But I've heard good things so far.

How do Mo' Money books stack up to the movie?

:coffee:

Didn't read the book. Didn't know there was a book. Didn't know it was based on a true story. Went into the theater blind and dumb about this movie.

LOVED EVERY SECOND!!!!!

We just watched Old Dogs with John Travolta and Robin Williams...frickin' hilarious!!!

I laughed so hard, I cried...and that's a rarity.

I think the new Muppet Movie looks like the DOPE SHIT.

:coffee:

So, I'm gonna go on record and say that I don't recommend The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence. I can appreciate and watch some disturbed gore and shock subgenre horror movies but it was possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen sans Faces of Death (any of them).

The first movie involved somewhat of a complete plot, even if it was cookie-cutter. Two girls traveling abroad get lost. End up getting harrassed by strange men. Run from them and find a house while seeking shelter and help. Wrong house. The fun/horror begins.

The sequel was simply a misguided tour de force in displaying all sorts of graphic material that was mostly just suggested and not seen in the first film and overdone to the point of desensitization in the sequel. Also....[LOTS OF SPOILERS]

....the villain from the first movie obviously died and cannot reappear. He was disturbing, menacing, unrelenting, psychopathic, sociopathic, remorseless and had an immediate villainesque presence. The villain in the sequel is a mentally handicapped and abused obsessive fan of the first movie. He was disturbing, psychopathic and sociopathic but failed to scare me. He was displayed as childish and infantile at times but it....just didn't work for me. The reality of the sequel is set in a world where the first movie was just a movie-as it was to you and I.

What I had read in an article before the sequel was released was A) According to the director, the sequel would make the first, "look like My Little Pony" - succeeded for sure. But it wasn't nearly as "scary". Reason being, the plot included little more in the way of psychotic, obsessive fan of first film reenacting it by kidnapping unsuspecting victims and storing them somewhere(? - Not sure where this abandoned land was to be honest) until he had enough to (second thing I read about it) create a Human Centipede with twelve people. The first film had three. The first film was more artistic than casual fans of horror will give it credit. The first film had plot. The first film had character development of the victims and less of the villain-which left me feeling neither sympathetic to him and as a result of no character development for his victims, nor them. It was mere entertainment and I was perfectly happy that the credits rolled when they did as to me, the exploitation of disturbing and graphic material had run its course, despite some of the worst things I've ever seen on film.

Back