Movie Recommendations

Lewis is also really good in There Will be Blood if you haven't seen that one.

I have. Excellent film. I'll watch almost anything he's in. While I can't say any of his films stand atop (or even in) my all-time list, he is perhaps the best actor I've known in my lifetime.

EDIT: Him and the guy who played Pedro in Napoleon Dynamite.

I would like to make a somewhat awkward recommendation. The movie JCVD starring Jean Claude Van Damme. I have rarely been more surprised, and positively so, than with this flick. It was really cool.

Re: senor Night, what was that movie he did with Mark Wahlberg about the neurotoxins?

That movie sucked. I saw it in Spanish with no subtitles on a bus in Mexico, and I could still tell that it sucked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Re: senor Night, what was that movie he did with Mark Wahlberg about the neurotoxins?

That movie sucked. I saw it in Spanish with no subtitles on a bus in Mexico, and I could still tell that it sucked.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Happening.

Pretty sure if anyone tells you they liked it, you'll be engrossed in a conversation with M Night Shamashawshankredemption.

The Happening.

Pretty sure if anyone tells you they liked it, you'll be engrossed in a conversation with M Night Shamashawshankredemption.

Yep - that's the flick that got me down the road if hatred for M. Night.

Also, if no one's seen it yet: Moon, starring Sam Rockwell. Check it out.

:coffee:

Yep - that's the flick that got me down the road if hatred for M. Night.

Also, if no one's seen it yet: Moon, starring Sam Rockwell. Check it out.

:coffee:

I actually loathe Sam Rockwell in everything he does. Plays the same character over and over and over. Also Sci-Fi movies. I loathe them too.

I actually loathe Sam Rockwell in everything he does. Plays the same character over and over and over. Also Sci-Fi movies. I loathe them too.

How do you feel about sci-fi movies though?

Oh, and have you seen "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell? Pretty good stuff.

I've always liked Brendan Fraser in the goofy movies that he does and the Mummy movies but I just saw him in a drama that was really good and is based on a true story.

Extraordinary Measures with him and Harrison Ford. It's a tearjerker about a family with 2 kids that have Pompe disease. Harrison Ford's character has the best chance at a cure but no money to fund the research.

That's all I'll say for now but it was a good move.

On another note, M. Night's new movie Devil looks like it may be good. Back into the Signs type movies. I hated The Happening and didn't care about the one about the girl living in the pool but I liked his earlier stuff.

We watched The Killer last night with Casey Affleck, Jessica Alba and Kate Hudson. Seriously firggin disturbing on fifty different levels.:shake:

I don't know if anyone posted this yet,but Scent of a woman is a really good flick...

Resident Evil Afterlife was badass but not my favorite. It needed more zombies.

After the weekend I had, going from the highest high Friday with the huge football win to the lowest low when my friend passed on Saturday, I sat down and droned in front of the movies.

Burn After Reading. Holy Crap it was funny.
Men Who Stare at Goats. Even funnier.
Inkheart. Never even heard of it until I saw it this morning.
The Talented Mr. Ripley. Matt Damon is so creepy I just cannot begin to describe it.
Good Will Hunting. I never get tired of this one.

Have to catch up on this thread, but I wanted to mention that I saw and liked Bandits, which several of you recommended.

I also saw this movie called "Moon", starring Sam Rockwell. It might be the saddest (internally, not like a Schindler's list) and loneliest movie I've ever seen. It was great - I've never heard anyone mention it, but you guys might like it.

Moon. Sam Rockwell.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not sure what in the last page of reading made me think about it, but an interesting/little known (I think) one to recommend is House Of Cards. 1993 flick with Tommy Lee Jones and Kathleen Turner. Basically, her daughter had a traumatic event and had become something of an autistic savant (not really, but similar behaviors). The story follows the lengths she'll go to bring her daughter back.

For some reason, I really enjoyed this flick.

The Slammin' Salmon is something most of us crazy Planeteers could enjoy :)

I watched "Trade" last night. It's like "Taken" with Liam Neeson, 'cept if it was real and not a superhero-action movie. Plus, it's largely set in Mexico City and Ciudad Juarez, which is pretty cool for me personally.

Anyway, it has a much looser, less directed feel to it. Not a documentary, but not Hollywood-ized. A lot of what would happen in a "Hollywood movie" doesn't happen. You see it coming, and it doesn't happen. I dug that.

Incredibly hard to watch (though probably particularly for me for the obvious reason that I have a Mexican daughter), and the final scene caught me really off guard. Very good, though. Emotionally complex overall, and characters with some depth. Kevin Kline does some good work, and Alicja Bachleda is absolutely mesmerizing - an amazing job.

Strongly recommended...and I just noticed that you can see the whole movie on IMDB right now! :thumb:

Back