My Annual Patriots Mock Draft 2015

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
I've done one of these every year since the Planet opened and here is this year's edition. As always, I welcome others' opinions whether they like my thoughts or think I'm way off base.

It's a fun exercise and I've had a few hits on players over the years which is at least partial blind luck due to the enormous variables. My approach is that I try to think like the Pats do and hope they haven't adjusted their formula without at least sending me a memo informing me of the changes. I kid.

Anyhow, without further adieu here is my guess as to what we might do:

39. Jake Fisher – 6’6” 307, Oregon OL, SPARQ rating 94.2 (better athlete than 94 per cent of current pros)

I looked at other interior guys, but even though we haven’t had any contact with him, I believe he is exactly the type of player that fits our program and will be a good player in the NFL for a long time.

Some of my reasons for liking Fisher and thinking Belichick and Caserio might also feel that way include his solid character, his overall athleticism and ability to hit moving targets beyond the LOS, his positional flexibility (that is a cliche by now, but it is important for us), his toughness and experience at one of the top programs in the country. Fisher is advanced compared to a lot of these guys. By that I mean the way he plays his position and uses his feet to create angles. He knows what he's doing. He played OT on both sides of the line for the Ducks but the Pats have demonstrated with Logan Makins that they will use a high pick on a college OT and move him.

I have us trading with Chicago to drop back to 39, get Fisher and we get a 5th this year and spare change next. I think we will consider Ali Marpet as well, but in the end the jump from Div. III makes him too much of a projection for the price we’ll have to pay to get him
64. Henry Anderson – 6’6 294 Stanford DE, SPARQ rating 79%

While everybody is looking for the next Wilfork, I think run stuffing DLs can be acquired in other ways and players with all-around talent are the types you use your higher picks on. Anderson plays aggressively, but at the same time minds his gaps. We don’t draft people that free-lance. Anderson is relentless but always has a clue. He plays team D and tackles hard and well using his length and long arms to wrap guys up, but unlike most guys his size he has a knack for knowing when to “get skinny” and split a gap to blow up a play and close on the QB.

He shows an outstanding knack for penetration. I think he has a hard jolt with his hands, is plenty strong and uses his arms to control and shed blockers very well. He played at a high level of competition, can play 3-4 end or DT in the 4-3, played multiple techniques (as we require) was a team leader and shows excellent awareness on the field.

He's not an "edge rusher" exactly, but can definitely pressure the QB and his closing burst appears excellent. Mature and intelligent. I see him as somebody that checks a lot of boxes and is a perfect fit for the Pats. A guy that can earn snaps immediately in the DL rotation, help our inside pressure game and become the heir apparent to Nink and an insurance policy against Chandler Jones’ next annual injury. For a team that likes players that can do a lot of different things I haven't seen anything asked of a DL that Anderson can't do well.

I'm still seeing him mocked much lower than this, which I don't get. Why can't people see how good he will be? I don't know if he'll last to 64.

96. Chris Conley – 6’3” 215 Georgia WR, SPARQ 98.8

Nobody knows how his private workout with BB and Caserio went, but we don’t send the big boys to see many guys and Conley is a physical freak who appears to me to have great hands and seems highly intelligent with a team-first attitude. Can he learn our offense? Who knows?, but he could be the guy that Aaron Dobson was supposed to be. We looked at a lot of WRs this offseason and my guess is that he’s got all the upside tools at the right price to roll the dice on him and take a chance that he can be great.

97. Ben Heeney – 6’0 232 Kansas LB, SPARQ 77.8

One of the real interesting players I’ve seen this year. I like him for us because he covers a lot of ground and plays very well in space, which is the name of the game in today's NFL while showing the ability to get off blocks from big guys with a hard punch and quick moves.

Played well for 3 years in a program undergoing multiple coaching changes which Bill appreciates. He isn’t tall and isn't a huge hitter, but goes in aggressively and decisively, wraps up and gets guys on the ground anywhere on the field. I like the angles he takes. His awareness. I think he is a guy that is easily athletic enough to drop into coverage much like Jamie Collins.

Heeney is also a guy that can look bad on one play and in the next he looks like Jack Ham or Luke Keuchly to cite a more current example, but he is always very productive lining up in multiple looks. He should be great on STs, which we pay attention to. Guys like him are going to be the new LB prototype within a few years and the Pats might as well be ahead of the curve and draft horses for courses. He’s the anti-Brandon Spikes and a cheaper alternative to Shaq Thompson who he compares to in my view.

101. Mark Glowinski, 6’4” 307 OL WVU SPARQ 95.7

A double-dip to beef up the OL and Glowinski is another guy who played multiple positions in college and probably projects best inside in the NFL. Very strong for such a good athlete. Tons of pop. Good on the hoof, too.

131. Josh Shaw 6’ 201” CB USC SPARQ 92.3

A solid zone defender and co-captain who may slip due to bizarre off-field incident where he lied about an injury and tried to make himself into a hero to cover up a stupid move. That's why he might still be around at this point in the draft. He's built like a safety and could play there. No, he can’t replace Revis nor can any other corner in this draft. For the Pats this is a business-as-usual pick in trying to get value and upgrade the roster. You can't fix everything in one draft.

142. (from Chicago) James Rouse 6’5” 270 DL Marshall

Who? My sleeper. And a total wild guess. I don’t know why he isn’t being discussed more. Slim 4-3 DT with a great burst off the line and the knack to penetrate and tip passes and kicks. Relentless and a good interior rusher. Heat-seeking missle. Put some weight on him and he could be a player.

177. Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi St.

Beats me. I'm just throwing darts at this point, but he is supposedly a fine receiver and perhaps he could be a hedge to James White looking like he did last preseason.

219. Kurtiss Drummond S Michigan State

Now I'm throwing lawn darts at a golf ball. I just figure we don't seem to need a safety and therefore we will take one.

253. Ryan Williams, QB Miami – Matt Cassell II – in an off-year for QBs the Pats take a flyer on a guy who missed 2014 with an injury, but has a huge frame and can sling it with some touch. Why? Because nobody thinks we’ll be interested in another QB and this is something we often do because no UDFA QB in his right mind is going to sign here unless he's delighted to sit on the bench for his entire career.

I'll weigh in. Would imagine others have tried this., it is interesting in that the players you hope are there but they aren't.

On the Fisher pick, I'd be good with that but after picking all bigs last year it's hard to say they what they want. I can understand them wanting bigger guys.

Anderson looks like a good pick. Don't think he was available after 64 per draft trek.

Can definitely see them getting a large wry after the damage done by foot locker guy in the SB (and others) .

Heeney looks like he has potential. Struck me as fully focused on the run game.

Glowinski looked like a perfect fit for "Googs gang". A low rounder that needs a year-just my impression.

That's the end of my dart throwing...

If Shane Ray is available at 32, I have to think the Pats will hold on to the pick and take him. That would be a gift from God

If Shane Ray is available at 32, I have to think the Pats will hold on to the pick and take him. That would be a gift from God

This wasn't possible last week, and now it could happen. Yes a very slim chance but it's a chance.

Personally, I don't think the Pats trade back this year. At #32, they still get a 1-st round pick, holding the option for a 5th yr. They have 9 picks, so it's possible they package a few and move up this year, shockingly for someone like Nelson Agholor, who they seem to have taken a liking to. I know...WR...I'm insane. Who knows. Maybe they'll stay at 32 and go for Dorsett, Jaelen Strong or Devin Smith.

But since everyone thinks we're going with an oline guy or a pass rusher, that pretty much seals it for me that we're going for a WR. ROFL

Personally, I don't think the Pats trade back this year. At #32, they still get a 1-st round pick, holding the option for a 5th yr. They have 9 picks, so it's possible they package a few and move up this year, shockingly for someone like Nelson Agholor, who they seem to have taken a liking to. I know...WR...I'm insane. Who knows. Maybe they'll stay at 32 and go for Dorsett, Jaelen Strong or Devin Smith.

But since everyone thinks we're going with an oline guy or a pass rusher, that pretty much seals it for me that we're going for a WR. ROFL

As nice as the 5th year for 1st round option is, it's cheaper (Kraft) to pay second round money if the guy they want is available at 36 and save money (Kraft). #cheap

Nice mock Hawg.

My personal preference? I HATE paying 1st round for G, unless you're Canton bound. It throws the salary structure completely out of whack. See Mankins. It's a real bad spot to be in imo. I think you can get a quite serviceable to very good G in the 2nd or 3rd and not suffer the cap impact now and on the 2nd contract. And you want long term stability on the o line.

Really like the Anderson pick. Perfect Patriot style DE pick. Break him in for a year or 2 until Nink slows down.

Conley? Really liking the guy. But everything I see has him rated FAR lower on the rankings. Are we jumping too early there at the sacrifice of fortifying another position better with a higher ranked guy? Who knows. But they've definitely shown the propensity to target a guy they like earlier and pull the trigger so I'd be fine with it.

Heeney? Love it. Super high motor guy too. I LOVE those guys on D. I had Vellano pegged making our roster the year he came UDFA. Easy to root for. He's small. But sideline to sideline and can cover. A good add.

Glowinski? I wish I knew what they want. Stork was huge by our C standards of yore. Add the Halapio flyer. And Cannon. It SEEMS they want hogs now. The kids athletic numbers pop though. He'd caught my eye in looking at SPARQ wrt Marpett.

Shaw? Kra kra. Don't know if we do kra. But I like the Sparq numbers.

Rouse? Don't see it AT ALL. 6'5" 270 DT? Our LBers are that size. Not unless he can add 60-80 lbs.

I don't know the rest. Good work, as usual.

Love the SPARQ add. I swear I'd thought of that for my own, in fact going SPARQ-centric for everyone other than my fatties. We'll see.

Man this offseason has sure flown by. Can't believe it's already draft time. I have no idea who the Pats are interested in, what route we're going to go, what route we SHOULD go, who the best fit would be...just a complete mystery to me, this draft. Maybe it's because I spent too much time celebrating and not enough time looking forward to the draft

Nice mock Hawg.

My personal preference? I HATE paying 1st round for G, unless you're Canton bound. It throws the salary structure completely out of whack. See Mankins. It's a real bad spot to be in imo. I think you can get a quite serviceable to very good G in the 2nd or 3rd and not suffer the cap impact now and on the 2nd contract. And you want long term stability on the o line.

Really like the Anderson pick. Perfect Patriot style DE pick. Break him in for a year or 2 until Nink slows down.

Conley? Really liking the guy. But everything I see has him rated FAR lower on the rankings. Are we jumping too early there at the sacrifice of fortifying another position better with a higher ranked guy? Who knows. But they've definitely shown the propensity to target a guy they like earlier and pull the trigger so I'd be fine with it.

Heeney? Love it. Super high motor guy too. I LOVE those guys on D. I had Vellano pegged making our roster the year he came UDFA. Easy to root for. He's small. But sideline to sideline and can cover. A good add.

Glowinski? I wish I knew what they want. Stork was huge by our C standards of yore. Add the Halapio flyer. And Cannon. It SEEMS they want hogs now. The kids athletic numbers pop though. He'd caught my eye in looking at SPARQ wrt Marpett.

Shaw? Kra kra. Don't know if we do kra. But I like the Sparq numbers.

Rouse? Don't see it AT ALL. 6'5" 270 DT? Our LBers are that size. Not unless he can add 60-80 lbs.

I don't know the rest. Good work, as usual.

Love the SPARQ add. I swear I'd thought of that for my own, in fact going SPARQ-centric for everyone other than my fatties. We'll see.

Part of my thought process with Fisher is that he would be the 39th (or so) pick and the dollars aren't that bad. Certainly cheaper than resigning Connelly and OLs are among the easiest prospects to project and get your money's worth.

I'm seeing several mocks this morning that had him around 25th, so we'll see what happens, but we've got to get some talent at the interior line spots and he was the guy that seemed to be a combination of need and value to me.

I tried to keep the mock realistic (to an extent), but I was able to find a lot of guys with far better SPARQ numbers than you would think given where these guys are being slotted. For various reasons. It's a useful tool, I think.

I watched Marshall play a few times last year and every time I did I kept seeing Rouse playing his ass off. I figure I must be missing something besides just his weight, which is about the same as Chandler Jones because nobody says a word about the guy. Watch the clip below and see what I mean.

0:35 - 11 is a body length faster than anybody, shoves the guard backwards and blows up the play in the backfield

0:42 - not a replay-- he does it again

1:05 - gets a good push on the G and strings the play out for another TFL

1:19 - a yard ahead of everybody and he pushed the OL into the RB for another TFL

1:27 - it's getting repetitive

1:45 -- 11 splits the double team for a sack

1:57 -- 11 over the nose and he is another yard ahead-- moves to his left to cut off the RB and the guy cuts back inside and Rouse tosses his guy aside for another TFL. He's strong.

2:17 -- an example of him holding off the OL with one hand-- which he does a lot and stuffing the run for no gain.

2:23 -- this is just ridiculous. The G has no chance. Rouse gets a great jump and just rapes the play.

2:35 -- guess who beat everybody off the snap and gets a sack?

2:50 -- maybe the other DLs are just exceptionally slow off the ball. another sack.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oeo8LG7hE24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My bad!

I missed / forgot your trade down. 2nd round Oline is fine by me.

As far as Rouse, I just can't see this team going forward with only Siliga as a heavy. They need bigguns. 2 of them.

My bad!

I missed / forgot your trade down. 2nd round Oline is fine by me.

As far as Rouse, I just can't see this team going forward with only Siliga as a heavy. They need beeg. 2 of them.

They have Branch as well. Although a 3rd guy for this year and moving forward would be nice as well.

They also signed veteran Antonio Johnson (6-3, 328) who started 46 games for the Colts at defensive tackle between 2008 and 2012. :coffee:

Outstanding effort Hawg. Really outstanding. :thumb:

1 thing...I'd go with WR Gavin Lutman or Tyrell Williams over QB Ryan Williams with 253 and pick up an udfa QB as a camp arm.

Outstanding effort Hawg. Really outstanding. :thumb:

1 thing...I'd go with WR Gavin Lutman or Tyrell Williams over QB Ryan Williams with 253 and pick up an udfa QB as a camp arm.

Thank you.

I agree with you that it is quite possible that we'll see a late round WR, especially this year when there is depth at the position and you never know when somebody will come up with a Marques Colston or Julian Edelman.

The reason I went with Ryan Williams is that taking a flyer on a late-round QB is something we've done fairly regularly and in a weak year for known QBs I figured it was more likely we'd take a total unknown and he fits that description.

As an aside, I just had NFLnet on and the screen crawler had Mayock's top 50 running and I watched it to see where he slotted Jake Fisher after seeing Drew Boylhart and Rob Rang mocking him around the mid 20's. Mayock had him at 39, which was exactly where I guessed he might go. I picked that number out of thin air, but I suppose it's possible Mayock is stealing my idea.

:insane:

Thank you.

I agree with you that it is quite possible that we'll see a late round WR, especially this year when there is depth at the position and you never know when somebody will come up with a Marques Colston or Julian Edelman.

The reason I went with Ryan Williams is that taking a flyer on a late-round QB is something we've done fairly regularly and in a weak year for known QBs I figured it was more likely we'd take a total unknown and he fits that description.

As an aside, I just had NFLnet on and the screen crawler had Mayock's top 50 running and I watched it to see where he slotted Jake Fisher after seeing Drew Boylhart and Rob Rang mocking him around the mid 20's. Mayock had him at 39, which was exactly where I guessed he might go. I picked that number out of thin air, but I suppose it's possible Mayock is stealing my idea.

:insane:

He totally stole your idea!

I think either of those 2 WRs could become valuable assets in the near future wh/ is why I'd choose one of them over a camp arm.

I don't see the Pats staying at 32 either, however that doesn't mean they move out of the 1st round. If they see a guy they like in the late teens or early twenties, and the value is there to move up they will. If their guy is taken though they will move down early 2nd no question in my mind...

Back