My Game Review (Denver)

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
Basically this is just my opinion on this.

This was an ugly performance, no doubt about it. And as a loyal Patriot fan it was very frustrating to watch, what for me was most frustrating was how we didn't seem to have a good game plan, and we didn't get in to a rhythm all game long.

Things that bothered me:

- The seeming dependence on the running game. I noticed this really early in the game, we seemed to be forcing the run too much, and we kept getting stuffed and that didn't allow us to get anything going.

- The one dimensional pass. I can't remember seeing a screen all night long. I think we need to get back to our 2001 form to help make up for the lack of talent on the reciever corps. Spread the field out, go no huddle and 4/5 wide. And when we found something that worked, the play action and then throwing to the back we play actioned to we didn't stick with it and exploit it.

- The total lack of fire. I hate the Broncos, these assholes seem to own us and ended our season last year. Where was the fire? Where was the intencity? Like John Madden said the team seemed like they were sleepwalking.

- Not going for the field goal at the end of the game. We've got a rookie kicker, everyone knows it. What I say to that is: big deal. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the Patriots say "You've got a job to do on this team, and when you're called upon you'd better be ready." We have to trust what we have. We have to try that kick, if Stevie G misses it, he misses it. But that's life. Now for the whole freakin week I have to think about what might have been, and maybe so do the Pats which will keep them from focusing on what they need to be.

- Brady. I hear Steve Diosse (sp?) talkin about how Brady isn't throwing well. If he's hurt or there's something wrong we need to get him fixed. He is this team right now, without him we really have no hope. I think if he's hurt we should think about Cassell (I know that's gonna get me some flames) until he's better. If it's his confidence I think we need to gear a system towards using our stregnths (the run) and minimizing our weaknesses. (more screens, play action off the run to open it up down the field)

- The Secondary. We're getting burned deep, it happened against the Jets, it happened against the Broncos. We need to work on that.

- The season prognosis: I look at this season as a Godsend, I look at this team as a lock for the AFC East, the only team that could even challenge us on that I think is Buffalo and we've taken their best punch and got up and hit them back, and they lost to the Jets today. I think we need to treat this season as a preseason, perhaps a little more serious than that we need to make sure we take care of business, but do what we can to constantly get better and peak at the right time.

Anyway, that's my take. Love it or Hate it.

Actually NS I pretty much agree with you on everything you said.

First, I think Denver was stuffing our run because unlike the Bills and the Jets, they weren't afraid of Brady. They knew when we were going to run and keyed in on our backs. When Dillon went out that was one of the nails in the coffin.

I too think there was a "one dimensional" passing game. Why so many throws down the middle of the field? Why not throw towards the sideline? The passing game was predictable for the most part.

And yes, the secondary is a problem. There is no reason that second Walker TD should have been a TD. He should have been stopped after making the catch.

I don't think Brady should be pulled in favor of Cassel, unless he keeps playing like this. I think the main problem is the receiver corps. There was no Chad Jackson again tonight. Caldwell was good but certainly not great; and I think Denver keyed in that the only serious threat at WR was Troy Brown. Doug Gabriel, however, showed real promise, and I think in another week or two we'll start to see why the Raiders fans were so mad he got traded to us.

As for not going for the field goal at the end, that really surprised me. Whether we got the FG or a TD, our only hope to win was to do an onside kick, so why not just take the points? Even Madden and Michaels said that the reason Ghost's first try got blocked was likely because of the s****y condition of the field.

Finally, I think you're right about the Broncos thing, and I mentioned that in another thread. After a while I think the Pats (especially the offense) just got in their head that, "Here we are again, losing to the Broncos, we can't beat these guys, we never do, so why try?" It's like the Broncos are to us what we are to the Colts.

But if they just up and give up like that next week in Cincy, it's going to be a massacre.

NSPatsFan said:
- The seeming dependence on the running game. I noticed this really early in the game, we seemed to be forcing the run too much, and we kept getting stuffed and that didn't allow us to get anything going.
I think we tend to underestimate a healthy Dillon's impact on this team. His awareness in picking his holes, and then smashing through for positive yardage was somewhat effective in the first half, and probably would've been even more effective in the 2nd half. Maroney, not that he had much help from the line, seemed to me to be a little tentative tonight (4 plays with zero or negative yardage :doh: ).

- The one dimensional pass. I can't remember seeing a screen all night long. I think we need to get back to our 2001 form to help make up for the lack of talent on the reciever corps. Spread the field out, go no huddle and 4/5 wide. And when we found something that worked, the play action and then throwing to the back we play actioned to we didn't stick with it and exploit it.
I saw several attempts to screen, including the WR and TE variety. The Broncos came prepared to stop the HB screen. B/c of the Broncos obvious desire to stop the run, play action was there all night.

- The total lack of fire. I hate the Broncos, these assholes seem to own us and ended our season last year. Where was the fire? Where was the intencity? Like John Madden said the team seemed like they were sleepwalking.
I saw some fire on the defense (which, BTW, hasn't produced a TO in 3 games besides the cheap-o Bruschi pick last game). The offense...almost nothing until very late in the game.

- Not going for the field goal at the end of the game. We've got a rookie kicker, everyone knows it. What I say to that is: big deal. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the Patriots say "You've got a job to do on this team, and when you're called upon you'd better be ready." We have to trust what we have. We have to try that kick, if Stevie G misses it, he misses it. But that's life. Now for the whole freakin week I have to think about what might have been, and maybe so do the Pats which will keep them from focusing on what they need to be.
Yes, they've got to try that kick. Or, of course, Gabriel could've tried to get that one extra yard for the first down, as opposed to going out of bounds.

- Brady. I hear Steve Diosse (sp?) talkin about how Brady isn't throwing well. If he's hurt or there's something wrong we need to get him fixed. He is this team right now, without him we really have no hope. I think if he's hurt we should think about Cassell (I know that's gonna get me some flames) until he's better. If it's his confidence I think we need to gear a system towards using our stregnths (the run) and minimizing our weaknesses. (more screens, play action off the run to open it up down the field)
Take away their one scoring drive, and Brady was horribly inconsistent tonight. I'm hoping once he gets a little better rhythm going with Caldwell, Gabriel, and Jackson, this problem will begin to correct itself.

- The Secondary. We're getting burned deep, it happened against the Jets, it happened against the Broncos. We need to work on that.
Tough day for my man Sanders. A pass interference and a missed tackle leading to a TD. However, he was put in a tough position replacing Wilson, as he's not really a FS. Still, he's got to do a little better. I wonder why BB didn't use Gay in that spot? :shrug:

I think the reason we didn't see Randall Gay much was because I could have sworn I saw him limping after a punt- I'd have to watch the tape to find out for sure when it happened.

They didn't kick the FG because they were on the 20 yard line..less than 1 minute, I believe. They needed a very quick TD, then they would have time to get into FG range after onside kick.

If they kick the FG and get the onside kick, they would have lost about 35-40 yards(getting the ball at their own 45). At that point, we are talking hail mary's. Getting into FG range after the onside kick is much more doable(20-25 yards). If it was 4-10, yes kick the FG...but on a 4th and 1, at the 20 yard line...I have no problem with going for it.

I found the lack of emotion the most worrisome problem.

At the end of the day football is an intense game and you can't play it with a "whatever" attitude.

The other thing that worries me is the lack of a sense of the moment. The hallmark of the Pats championship teams was that they always had a sense of where a game would swing, and would step up and make a play accordingly.

This didn't always happen in the 4th quarter, last nights game turned right before half when Jake hit walker for a TD on 3rd and 2. Shannahan had a sense of when to go for the throat, the pats didn't make the play.

Benign Despot said:
I found the lack of emotion the most worrisome problem.

At the end of the day football is an intense game and you can't play it with a "whatever" attitude.

The other thing that worries me is the lack of a sense of the moment. The hallmark of the Pats championship teams was that they always had a sense of where a game would swing, and would step up and make a play accordingly.

This didn't always happen in the 4th quarter, last nights game turned right before half when Jake hit walker for a TD on 3rd and 2. Shannahan had a sense of when to go for the throat, the pats didn't make the play.

You're right on the money (and, amazingly enough, so were Madden and Michaels). Brady looked like he'd rather be anywhere than on the field, until it was practically garbage time. The guys key off of their leader, and if he doesn't have any fire, neither will anyone else.

Brady is still the man, and always will be....talk of benching Brady is just ri-god-damned-diculous (unless he's injured). But he's not injured, is he? It looks to Annihilus like he needs some tough love and have someone tell him to pull his head out of his arse.

player said:
They didn't kick the FG because they were on the 20 yard line..less than 1 minute, I believe. They needed a very quick TD, then they would have time to get into FG range after onside kick.

If they kick the FG and get the onside kick, they would have lost about 35-40 yards(getting the ball at their own 45). At that point, we are talking hail mary's. Getting into FG range after the onside kick is much more doable(20-25 yards). If it was 4-10, yes kick the FG...but on a 4th and 1, at the 20 yard line...I have no problem with going for it.

IIRC, they had a little over a minute and a timeout left at that juncture - plenty of time to go 60 yards in an NFL offense. IMO, being at the 20-yard line is the perfect place to kick the FG - not too long of a kick, and still not too close to the endzone to "have to" try for 7.

Also, they should've QB snuck with Brady on that play if they were going to go for it - it was wide open, and they only needed a yard. They could've even used their remaining timeout after that play to regroup.

Belichick said it best: they were outcoached and outplayed.

My Random Thoughts

* Brady is NOT throwing the ball well. It is not just the receivers. Brady threw a lot of balls into the ground or over heads. The protection was good this week. The thing that frustrated me the most was after going 10 for 10 on that scoring drive with a well executed dink and dunk offense, on their next possession (a 3 and out) I don't think there was a pass attempted under 20 yards. It made no sense to me.

* I thought the officiating was horrible. In no way do I blame the loss on officiating, I thought it was bad for both teams.

* I think Junior Seau is starting to look fantastic, as long as he doesn't have to chase anyone down.

* The defense came to play. Those few big plays were the difference in the game. Otherwise, I am excited about the defense.

*Madden sucks.

* I think Doug Gabriel is going to be pretty good.

* The defense did enough to win the game. The offense didn't come close. Special teams, especially punting were excellent.

* It is a long season, and I think there is enough potential here for the team to really gel by the end of the year.

The Pats Defense played with emotion. How can you possibly say that there was
no emotion? They gave up one big play for a TD. Plummer had a great game and was accurate.

Tom Brady lost his head. It looked similar to last years playoff loss in Denver.
The shot of Brady F-ing on the sideline said it all. You have to give credit to Broncos Defense. They will prove to have the top defense in the NFL.

Reiss posts his observations on individual players:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/09/ups_downs_17.html
A look at who's up and who's down from the Patriots' 17-7 loss to the Broncos:

Up
Doug Gabriel -- Receiver doesn't play much until late in the game, but finishes with six catches for 65 yards and a nice 8-yard touchdown grab.

Josh Miller -- Punter posts a 44.3 net average and has four punts downed inside the 20.

Down
James Sanders -- Takes a poor angle on a tackle, allowing Javon Walker to score easily on an 83-yard hookup in the fourth quarter.

Field goal unit -- For the second week in a row, a Stephen Gostkowski field goal is blocked.

Running game -- Totals 50 yards on 21 carries for a 2.4-yard average.

Rosevelt Colvin -- Finishes with no tackles and lost containment on the edge on a few runs that Tatum Bell cut to the outside.

------------------------------------------------

I agree with Reiss completely...really disappointed in Colvin in particular: he's supposed to be one of their gamebreakers.

Players who I also thought had good games:

Seau: I think I'm just going to have to come to grips with his style of play (big play, busted play), as he led the team with 13 tackles. He is a BIG upgrade from Biesel.

Warren: looks like he ran out of gas in the 2nd half, but was a monster in the 1st.

Players I thought did not play well:

Brady: the stat sheet might not indicate it, but he had another "off"-night. A lot of low, uncatchable throws at open receivers, and just as many poor decisions.

Light: I'm singling him out on the O-line (probably unfairly), because there was never any room to run on the left side, and his man got quite a few hits on Brady, including the Patriots offense's last play of the game.

The entire Patriots' backup squad on D: did these guys even play? Looking at the stat sheet, you wouldn't think so. This might've been a coaching blunder though - not getting them any PT.

I think one thing we learned this week is that we can't impose our will on a solid run defense.

A coaching question as well, The Donks O-line was picking up the blitzes allowing Jake to stand in and exploit the coverages. I was wondering why there was no move to the 4-3. Let the D-line disrupt the LOS rush 4 and drop 7, force Jake to be sharp. It's not like the 3-4 was stopping the running game.

The most unsettling stat for me up to this point is just one garbage time turnover generated by the defense in three games. Turnovers win and lose games and, so far, the Pats are losing the turnover battle.

I just want to make this absolutely 1000% clear. I'm NOT talking about "benching" Brady in the "We've got a better chance to win with Cassell" sense. Cuz that's just ridiculous. What I'm saying is something is definatly wrong with him, so if it is a physical thing, if he is hurt we take him out to let him get better. If it's a mental thing obviously we need to do something different.

I just didn't want everyone to think I was ripping Brady. In fact it's the exact opposite. This guy is our team, without him we're lost so we'd better take care of him.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was how frustrating it was to 3 times pin the Horsies deep and 3 times let them squirm their way out of it, God that just took the wind out of my sails.

Wandering Athol said:
Down
James Sanders -- Takes a poor angle on a tackle, allowing Javon Walker to score easily on an 83-yard hookup in the fourth quarter.

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said there was no reason that should have been a touchdown.

NSPatsFan said:
I just want to make this absolutely 1000% clear. I'm NOT talking about "benching" Brady in the "We've got a better chance to win with Cassell" sense. Cuz that's just ridiculous. What I'm saying is something is definatly wrong with him, so if it is a physical thing, if he is hurt we take him out to let him get better. If it's a mental thing obviously we need to do something different.

I just didn't want everyone to think I was ripping Brady. In fact it's the exact opposite. This guy is our team, without him we're lost so we'd better take care of him.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was how frustrating it was to 3 times pin the Horsies deep and 3 times let them squirm their way out of it, God that just took the wind out of my sails.

Yeah NS, that's my fault, I should have paid more attention to what you wrote.

Brady has been on the injury list ever since SB 39, maybe his shoulder really is hurting.

On a lighter note, did anyone watching the game on TV hear "You ****ing Dickhead!" loud and clear?

Jheavner said:
On a lighter note, did anyone watching the game on TV hear "You ****ing Dickhead!" loud and clear?
you guys could hear that on the TV all the way from section 236? :wave:

RoadGrader said:
you guys could hear that on the TV all the way from section 236? :wave:

Wow, maybe the reports I hear of you are true!

Ya, heared that comment, plus a really pissed off Brady screaming "what the ****!" from the sidelines. Couldn't hear it, but definitley saw the mouth motions. Gotta say, I liked it. The passion and intensity, of course.o:)

Back