Nate Solder diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2014

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ith-testicular-cancer-in-14-spreads-awareness

New England Patriots left tackle Nate Solder takes pride in his team-first approach, which means he often avoids speaking about himself. He's making an exception on this topic with the hope he might help others.

Solder was diagnosed with testicular cancer in April 2014, which shocked him because he felt healthy and there was no history of it in his family.

Doctors determined the cancer was restricted to one testicle and hadn't spread, removed the testicle, and Solder went on to experience one of the most rewarding football seasons in his life. He started every game and served as quarterback Tom Brady's blindside protector in a season that culminated with a Super Bowl XLIX championship.

Left tackle Nate Solder, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer in April 2014, says he wants his story to be known so that others understand the importance of cancer awareness. Matthew J. Lee/The Boston Globe/Getty Images
One year after the initial diagnosis, Solder is now sharing his story. The timing feels right, as April is National Testicular Cancer Awareness month.

"I knew nothing about it. It was a complete surprise," said Solder, who turned 27 on April 12 and enters his fifth NFL season in 2015. "You Google something like that and it kind of scares you, so I was like, 'I'm not going to freak out about this.' Had I not had a routine physical, I probably wouldn't have checked it, saying, 'Oh, it's just in my head, I'm going to be fine.'"

According to the American Cancer Society, testicular cancer can develop in males of any age, including infants and elderly men. Almost half of all cases are in men between the ages of 20 and 34.

A man's lifetime chance of getting testicular cancer is about one in 263, and the risk of dying from the cancer is about one in 5,000.

The Patriots had just started their voluntary offseason program at this time last year and Solder was undergoing that standard physical exam when he mentioned he felt something around his testicle. That led the Patriots' medical staff to immediately order an ultrasound.

Things moved quickly and three days later Solder underwent surgery. He had to rest for two weeks, missing some time in voluntary organized team activities. That was the main part of the recovery, and after that, doctors focused on his incision and sutures so that they wouldn't be compromised during workouts. Solder returned to the field by the end of organized team activities in June.

All along, doctors reminded Solder there was no rush, with Solder describing their approach as "super cautious."

What Solder realized was that he was fortunate to have detected things early, and others aren't always so lucky. That's why he's stepping into the public eye with his story, although he wanted to make one thing clear in doing so.

He is reluctant to have things framed in the context of him overcoming cancer in a Super Bowl season because he doesn't see it that way. His recovery was quick, and he's also sensitive to others who endure much more significant surgery and treatments than he did.

So what he hopes to accomplish is to maximize the often powerful platform that the NFL provides, as well as being a Super Bowl champion, to spread the word about the importance of early detection.

"I was completely healthy, I'm a professional athlete. It can happen to anybody," he said. "Make sure you get yourself checked out, especially young men, because that's who it's really targeted toward."

Some of the natural questions men might have in a situation like Solder's is whether testosterone levels will return to their prior level, and if the ability to have children is compromised. In Solder's case, he was fortunate in both areas.

Since last April, Solder has returned to Massachusetts General Hospital every three months for a checkup, switching between CT scans and X-rays. All results have been what he's hoped for and there's optimism that will remain the case. Along the way, Solder has been taken aback by the care he's received, from urologists Dr. Frances McGovern, Dr. Philip Saylor and Dr. Jason Efstathiou at Mass. General physician Paul Cusick and New England Patriots head athletic trainer Jim Whalen, among others.

Solder still shakes his head in amazement over that, as well as how Brady and many of his teammates were texting him when he had been in the hospital at this time last year.

"That was very powerful for me," he said.

Perhaps most powerful of all has been the role his Christian faith has played throughout the process, along with the faith and support of his wife, Lexi. Their wedding was three weeks after Solder's initial diagnosis last year.

While there is a part of him that might be a bit reluctant to share such personal information, Solder believes if it helps at least one person, it will all be worth it.

"The biggest thing is letting people know and giving them the information. And maybe giving people some courage that if they are in a situation like I was, maybe they would go and say something, and that could make a difference," he said.

"It's more common than people realize. A lot of people are either afraid to do it, or they don't think it's important enough to get it checked. It's a simple check. Six months, a year, and then it starts spreading and then you start to feel symptoms and it's a more serious situation. So that's a big thing; you can save lives with early detection."

Yeah, whoever said he was playing injured during the early season called it in a big way.

Yeah, whoever said he was playing injured during the early season called it in a big way.

Great to hear him overcome all of that but it sounds like he was pretty close to 100% and they caught it so early it wasn't as big a deal as a lot of cases. I thought he was injured too just because he looked so slow. He was either dealing with another injury, not in game shape (not hurt because of the surgery), or just had a rough start like everyone else.

Just because a guy is healed doesn't mean he's anything close to 100%.

How active do you think the guy was in the strength and conditioning program? And how much strength and speed do you think he may have lost with any required chemo/radiation?

He was nowhere near full go.

Scary situation for Nate. I wish him the best with all future checkups, I was at risk for Testicular cancer with my right testicle 20 years ago and had it removed a urologists put the fear in me and said straight out, your risk is so high you don't want to take a chance, I had it removed and it was not cancerous which I thank Jesus for.

How active do you think the guy was in the strength and conditioning program? And how much strength and speed do you think he may have lost with any required chemo/radiation?

This^. I'm very impressed with this form of toughness and resiliancy and wish him ongoing health and success. And I wouldn't dream even of saying "it couldn't be the cancer and the nadectomy, it must be something else."

Cheers, BostonTim

THIS^^ The work required was interupted and the mental mindset needed was too.

And it's probably too soon for deflated ball jokes. :coffee:

Cheers

beats me if it too early but I see a lot of jokes rising out of this

That is exactly what I said was a possibility. There is a difference between injured and in game shape. Stop being confrontational.

That is exactly what I said was a possibility. There is a difference between injured and in game shape. Stop being confrontational.

Are you purposely being a tool?

I took your post similarly as DS appears to have, you post does not appear to say anything remotely close to his post.

Maybe it is time to clarify your posts a little better because the only one who understands them is you.

if you left "or just had a rough start like everyone else." off I could start to see something similar but ...nope I don't.

That's my job to say stuff like that, not yours.

(well when MikieMOD lets me)

BTW, his post was not out of line when looking at the post of yours that he was referring to.

Great to hear him overcome all of that but it sounds like he was pretty close to 100% and they caught it so early it wasn't as big a deal as a lot of cases. I thought he was injured too just because he looked so slow. He was either dealing with another injury, not in game shape (not hurt because of the surgery), or just had a rough start like everyone else.

Rocky mountain oysters anyone?
ROCKYMOUNTAINOYSTERS.gif
rocky-mountain-oysters-coors-field.jpg

It takes a long time for your body to recover from both the cancer and any form of chemo treatments he may have had to endure. My Granddaughter is still feeling residuals even after almost 2 years since her original surgery and treatment started. She was a spunky 3 1/2 she's a 5 year old now whose immune system is still reeling but getting spunkier every day. Also he won't know if he's a 100% for sure for at least 5 years. Theres a 5 year window of cancer reaccuring. But bravo to him!

~Dee~

Back