Need some advice....

sammi71

Resident Psych....or something else:)
Reaction score
Ok all any suggestions would be helpful :)So the bf finds a phone he wants on craigslist. Goes to meet the guy. The bf calls Alltel and the say they can;t talk to him, but the other guy just needs to call and take the phone off his account. Ok so the bf says I want the phone, you call them and settle this. He takes the phone the guy has the money, 150.00 to be exact. The bf turns around to go get something in the car and the guy leaves!! He calls him and says WTF, and the guy says I thought this was all set and im calling alltel now. About 2 mins later he gets text that says"Sorry I owe money on the phone will pay when i get my tax refund!! WTF? Well, he calls me and im a just a little pissed off to say the least. So i go and find the add on CL and email him and he says he still has the phone. So i said ok lets meet up I'll take it. So I have a meeting at 11 am tomorrow with this guy. Just an FYI here....1 Alltel says too bad, we can't help you. 2. The police say sorry its civil.

So, what do I do tomorrow?
Do I go meet this guy, just get his license # and file a small claims court case? Or do I just go and bash his windows with a baseball bat? I know it sounds stupid, but it sure would make me feel better:shrug: I just don't get people, why do they have to F you over?

Ok all any suggestions would be helpful :)So the bf finds a phone he wants on craigslist. Goes to meet the guy. The bf calls Alltel and the say they can;t talk to him, but the other guy just needs to call and take the phone off his account. Ok so the bf says I want the phone, you call them and settle this. He takes the phone the guy has the money, 150.00 to be exact. The bf turns around to go get something in the car and the guy leaves!! He calls him and says WTF, and the guy says I thought this was all set and im calling alltel now. About 2 mins later he gets text that says"Sorry I owe money on the phone will pay when i get my tax refund!! WTF? Well, he calls me and im a just a little pissed off to say the least. So i go and find the add on CL and email him and he says he still has the phone. So i said ok lets meet up I'll take it. So I have a meeting at 11 am tomorrow with this guy. Just an FYI here....1 Alltel says too bad, we can't help you. 2. The police say sorry its civil.

Do I go meet this guy, just get his license # and file a small claims court case? Or do I just go and bash his windows with a baseball bat? I know it sounds stupid, but it sure would make me feel better:shrug: I just don't get people, why do they have to F you over?

smack the BF, and let him handle it?

How about just buying a phone at the mall, or online from the service provider? Just a thought....

How about just buying a phone at the mall, or online from the service provider? Just a thought....
Sure ya can do that....I've bought many phones from people and havent gotten screwed before.

Doubt he will show tomorrow and you'll never see your money again and probably not have a working phone either. Craigslist is not the best place to get anything from, it attracts a lot of bottom feeders.

My favorite CL story was somebody who got mad at another person and posted the address of the guy they were angry at saying he had to move unexpectedly and the entire contents of the house were available for the taking. IIRC a mob literally descended on the place when he was at work and when he arrived to find a feeding frenzy going on and people pouring out of his house with everything he owned, the mob ignored him saying the add was fake and the guy was fu*ked losing almost all his possesions.

That was enough to make sure I never go anywhere near CL.

Doubt he will show tomorrow and you'll never see your money again and probably not have a working phone either. Craigslist is not the best place to get anything from, it attracts a lot of bottom feeders.

My favorite CL story was somebody who got mad at another person and posted the address of the guy they were angry at saying he had to move unexpectedly and the entire contents of the house were available for the taking. IIRC a mob literally descended on the place when he was at work and when he arrived to find a feeding frenzy going on and people pouring out of his house with everything he owned, the mob ignored him saying the add was fake and the guy was fu*ked losing almost all his possesions.

That was enough to make sure I never go anywhere near CL.
Good advice!! Thanks, I know your probably right we will never see the money again. Just pisses me off when people screw other people. I dont do it, so i dont like it done to me!! Well karma is good what comes around will go around i guess

Meet up with the guy ask to see the phone then bolt with it that is what i would do in your shoes. Or have your BF hiding nearby initiate the sell and have your BF grab him up.

Since when is theft and fraud a civil matter? The guy took the phone and the money. If the guy doesn't show up, I would press the matter with the police.

Am I the only one who doesn't use craigslist:shrug: I've never even visited:coffee:

I would check with Craigslist personally. I know you can file a report with Ebay if you get screwed from a seller that doesn't follow through. If the seller is still posting, check to see if there is any way you can file a report through them. Since your BF paid cash, I am sure he didn't sign any contract. I wouldn't bother meeting with him. You will get no where. Your bf will just have to take his losses.

Well, if the Police won't get involved, then I would say you have every right to hunt the guy down and break his kneecaps.

The police don't have to get involved, you get your phone and money back, and the guy learns a valuable lesson about why its not good to screw with people.

See... Everyone wins! :thumb:

What makes you think that this guy is going to show up to your meeting?

Because you ASKED HIM TO????

ROFL

What stops this guy from saying that the phone was stolen from him?

Your boyfriend was :bhump: - sucks to be him.

Caveat emptor!

WTF? The lady asks an honest question and 90% of you (not all of you) come back with smart remarks! Way to go PP jerks! :grrr: (you know who you are)

Post on Craigs list about how you got ripped off by this guy...give his address, number and other info for anyone who wants to contact him and ask why he did it

Capping the knees is the easy way out, I say a little mothballs or Kitty litter in the gas tank works much much better

I got PRIMO NFCCG tickets from a Craig's list contact that were under what most were asking and amazing seats. You do take a chance when you buy things there but it isn't inherently evil or bad because people have bad experiences now and then.
:shrug:
I've bought plenty of POS things from retail stores and been stuck with them too.

Post on Craigs list about how you got ripped off by this guy...give his address, number and other info for anyone who wants to contact him and ask why he did it

Capping the knees is the easy way out, I say a little mothballs or Kitty litter in the gas tank works much much better

Yeah , they have reporting mechanisms and you have to fill out a contact sheet when you post. It may not yield anything but at least no one will do business with him again.

If the guy meets you start crying and tell him that you gave the b/f the $150 that you saved.

I know that you don't want to hear it and it's too late for this one. But the lesson learned is never, I mean never, buy anything from any individual unless you know them or someone you trust does.

Or... you know... not hand the money over until you are certain the item is as advertised.

I'd be interested to know if the meeting happened & what happened during it.

Back