New Movies

This one came out a couple of months ago and was well the worth the good natured and good humored hour and a half in the midst of such a shit show that is 2020.

I truly used it for a recharge.

View: https://youtu.be/dng7gn7hbi4

I saw this the other day.

đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I was convinced that the two women playing Bill & Ted's wives were the same actresses from the first movie. I was wrong, but it was very good casting to pick women that looked like the original actresses 30 odd years later.

I also thought that the actress playing Ted's daughter was spot on on replicating his goofy head bobs and body language from the original.

Yeah I caught the 88 tour in Springfield MA. You can get that show on "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life".

For me the highlights of that show was Bolero and Stairway to Heaven as the encore. Having a saxophone channel his inner Jimmy Page was brilliant.

Says something about how good Frank was on guitar that Steve Vai, was second fiddle in that band.

I've seen Dweezil three times, the last in North Hampton 3(?) odd years ago.
I was there in Springfield with you. About 12 rows from the stage on the floor. "Broadway the Hard Way" and "Make a Jazz Noise Here" are also from 88.

I am looking forward to them releasing more from the vault for 88. There is video of at least one concert, and hopefully they get the rights to the Beatles covers they did (Louisiana Hooker with Herpes).

Last I saw Dweezil was in Derry NH in March of this year about one week before I was sent to work from home. He is releasing some stuff now too off his website.

Sent from my Commodore VIC 20 using Tapatalk

I was there in Springfield with you. About 12 rows from the stage on the floor. "Broadway the Hard Way" and "Make a Jazz Noise Here" are also from 88.

I am looking forward to them releasing more from the vault for 88. There is video of at least one concert, and hopefully they get the rights to the Beatles covers they did (Louisiana Hooker with Herpes).

Last I saw Dweezil was in Derry NH in March of this year about one week before I was sent to work from home. He is releasing some stuff now too off his website.

Where do you get these new releases? I haven't looked, so forgive my ignorance.

Do they have anything other than live performances?

BTW, if you don't have it, I strongly recommend Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

It's all live guitar solo's from Frank.

I got the three album half speed master version back in the day, which I still have.

Absolutely sublime.

BTW, your sig reminded me of my favorite Zappa quote.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Where do you get these new releases? I haven't looked, so forgive my ignorance.

Do they have anything other than live performances?

BTW, if you don't have it, I strongly recommend Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

It's all live guitar solo's from Frank.

I got the three album half speed master version back in the day, which I still have.

Absolutely sublime.

Yeah, have it on vinyl.

New releases straight from Zappa.com and Dweezilzappa.com for his stuff.

These days though, I stream most of it. I ended up getting apple music free with Verizon, so with iTunes, I digitized my own catalog and was able to upload to the cloud for streaming on Apple music, including full audio 24bit Wav files. A lot of the rest I have on flac.

Oh yeah, there is some that is not live. A bunch of like Roxy rehearsals and stuff.

I read Zappa's autobiography and it was excellent and, much like the man, very different and quirky. He seemed a lot different than his image. He had no interest in being a rock star of that era and all that entailed. He just loved playing music and wasn't into drugs and all that.

He told a good story of how Dweezil and Moon used to fight like wild animals, wouldn't listen to him and the screaming was driving him nuts. So, he recorded them and made a loop tape out of the pitched battle.

He had his entire house wired for sound and played that tape at full volume until they begged and pleaded with him to shut it off. According to Frank, it pretty much got their minds right.

I always thought that was a creative approach to parenting.

Also, I cannot be in a snowstorm without hearing "The deadly yellow snow from right down where the huskies go" in my head.

I was just gonna post this. Very excited. I may still go see it Christmas day at the IMAX in Hooksett but there is almost not a point with the epic Tv's you and I have bought. Thanks again for the recommendation.

My dad predicted opening day home delivery back in the 90's but it took a virus to sped up that process.
Yes, it is excellent news and I will definitely watch it at home rather than in the theater. This is a big win for HBO especially in the aftermath of the $30 Mulan release on Disney+

The only thing I am bummed about is MAX doesn't offer ANYTHING in 4k and HDR yet. This movie, with all the 80s themes, would probably benefit quite a bit from HDR.

I was just gonna post this. Very excited. I may still go see it Christmas day at the IMAX in Hooksett but there is almost not a point with the epic Tv's you and I have bought. Thanks again for the recommendation.

My dad predicted opening day home delivery back in the 90's but it took a virus to sped up that process.

I hope that it’s better than the first one; I thought that movie was vastly overrated. Gal just kept deflecting bullets all movie long. I wasn’t impressed.
I did think that it was cool that Jessie Graff of America Ninja Warrior fame was her stunt double; that woman is an amazing athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I hope that it’s better than the first one; I thought that movie was vastly overrated. Gal just kept deflecting bullets all movie long. I wasn’t impressed.
I did think that it was cool that Jessie Graffiti of America Ninja Warrior fame was her stunt double; that woman is an amazing athlete.

I actually enjoyed it. Thought it was great fun and I'm not a big superhero movie fan. :)

Just saw the trailer for the new Tom Hanks movie coming out at Christmas, "News Of The World" and in Hank's style it looks wonderful.

I may not always agree with him but he is a damn treasure.

View: https://youtu.be/Uu50eahe9aY

It doesn't quite qualify as a new movie and was never a theatrical release, but if anybody has access to Apple TV, then I highly recommend Tom Hanks' Greyhound. It's quite an old-school, low-tech WWII sub hunting film and I think it was the best flick I've yet seen in 2020. One of Hanks' best, imo. Unrelenting tension and atmospheric dread.

BTW, Apple TV simply blows, imo, but it's arguably worth doing the one-month 5.99 special just to catch this film once or twice.

I noticed The New Mutants is now available and I'd be interested in opinions.

Just saw the trailer for the new Tom Hanks movie coming out at Christmas, "News Of The World" and in Hank's style it looks wonderful.

I may not always agree with him but he is a damn treasure.

View: https://youtu.be/Uu50eahe9aY

Have you read the book?
I thought that it was solid... a bit overrated, but an enjoyable read overall.

The movie that is #1 on my geek Sci-Fi list is Dune.

I read these books back in the early 70's and they always were one of my favorite Sci-Fi books.

David Lynch's version in the 80's was an abomination, but this one looks like they got it right.

First, supposedly this movie is only the first half of the first book. That's important since there's a whole lot to cover in this story that doing the whole first book in ~2 hrs isn't easy.

I've seen some other videos where they interview the actors and a few things impressed me.

First was the guy who plays Paul saying he only had 2 or 3 scenes in front of a blue screen, the rest were on sets.

I assume the blue screen scenes involve worms, and that's understandable.

Using sets, is important since I think it helps the actors do their jobs. I have no idea how an actor properly responds to the scene when they can't see what's happening around them. I think being on an actual set has to help the performance.

Related to that, they went to the desert in Jordan to film this, and all the actors said being in a real desert helped their performance.

The cast looks good as well.

The advances in special effects hasn't hurt since ornithopters look like ornithopters and shields look like shields.

I paid a years sub for hbo max after they announced Dune was going to be released on the streaming platform... Look forward to seeing this version...

I liked Lynch's movie despite some of the misfires in it... The viceral imagery of the Baron, the way the movie could make you feel uncomfortable overshadowed it's many flaws... Much better than the sci-fi channel miniseries that, at times, felt like a highschool play...

I paid a years sub for hbo max after they announced Dune was going to be released on the streaming platform... Look forward to seeing this version...

I liked Lynch's movie despite some of the misfires in it... The viceral imagery of the Baron, the way the movie could make you feel uncomfortable overshadowed it's many flaws... Much better than the sci-fi channel miniseries that, at times, felt like a highschool play...
Lynch H8D it...it was butchered. Just like Twin Peaks was at the end.

He has a new Netflix series coming within the year...his words.

He was born in Missoula. His father worked for the gubmint. He traveled everywhere. Man.

I watched the full 4-hour Zack Snyder version of Justice League the other day and found it to be a wonderful movie, not a boring minute, and does much more justice to it than the hacked up and edited version.

Very enjoyable.

I will watch again.

Last edited:
Back